PDA

View Full Version : Ferris Walkbehinds

TPS
01-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Ferris Hydrocut or Hydrodrive mowers? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
01-16-2011, 05:18 PM
I do have the Snapper Pro SW 20 36" which is a the same thing as the Hydrocut, but with a Kawi 13hp. Looks like the Hydrocut is in a 48" only. I bought it in June last year, and it has been a great machine. Running appx 20 to 30 hours per week with no issues.

I have only discharged with it though. So I can't say how it would mulch or bag. I have used it on leaf cleanups this fall just to chop up leaves in tight spots. Then just discharge away toward open areas and pickup with the big mower.

lawnkingforever
01-16-2011, 06:32 PM
I have an older 48" Ferris Hydrocut and it has been a very reliable machine. The single hydro can be an issue on hills. Also while riding behind it with a sulky, doing a full turn at the end of each pass can be a little tough. That being said though, it is a decent mower that leaves a nice cut and is built like a tank. If you can find a used one at a good price, snag it.

TPS
01-16-2011, 07:23 PM
The hydrocut only comes in 32" and 36". The hydro drive is the 48" and a dual hydro, im leaning torwards the 48" I think.

JRS Landscaping
01-17-2011, 02:04 AM
if you get one make sure the hydros are strong if you buy it used. they have hydro trans axles ( pump and drive motor are one unit) not seperate pumps and wheel motors each side like an exmark. they are like 1k to replace in parts only and a pain to take out. trust me i did it

elitefox
01-17-2011, 05:23 AM
I use to love the older "DD" ferris's. I'm not a ferris guru so I'm not 100% sure what year they changed but I believe it was '07. I'm sure its still a great machine none the less, I'm just not a fan of the new levers/pump speed controls they're currently using. I will say they have electronic operator presence controls built in the pistol grips themselves now, Great idea!!!!

Don't be fooled though, these machines are twice what a snapper pro is reguardless of the basic similarities...:nono:

ashgrove landscaping
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
I ve had a bunch of the dual drives. The only way to go. They are very tough. You won't be disappointed. I do have the newer style grips and speed control, I bought the retro conversion kit. The sensor grips suck and only one side has the deadman lever so it was a royal pain to take a hand off. After I installed the retro kit , it's the greatest mower ever live. The kit just gives you the older style grips and a deadman lever on both sides like the previous version. Who knows why they tried to improve or change the best design.

pugs
01-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I use to love the older "DD" ferris's. I'm not a ferris guru so I'm not 100% sure what year they changed but I believe it was '07. I'm sure its still a great machine none the less, I'm just not a fan of the new levers/pump speed controls they're currently using. I will say they have electronic operator presence controls built in the pistol grips themselves now, Great idea!!!!

Don't be fooled though, these machines are twice what a snapper pro is reguardless of the basic similarities...:nono:

That Hydrodrive or whatever 48 is a newer machine. It uses Hydrogear transaxles and a Vanguard engine. How the rest compares to the Dual Drives I really cant say.

They still make the Dual Drive with the Eaton transaxles and Kawasaki engines. Not sure what you dont like about the newer ones. The electronic op presence thing is gone...thing of the past. They had too much trouble with them. People dont tie mowers down on trailers, the handles rub on the trailer ramp driving down the street or rub up against gates when mowing and they stop working. The electronic module is expensive...Only old leftovers will have that on them

The main difference is the transaxles and engines. The DD's are electric start, the Hydrodrive I believe is recoil only. Not sure how the rest of the machine differs. I do know I see alot of old DD's still going out there.

People around here generally stop looking at dual hydro walkbehinds when they see the prices and start looking at Wright Standers for a few bucks more.

gasracer
01-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I have a DD with the electronic touch control.So far I have not had any trouble out of it.I will keep a watch out. It has less than 200 hours on it.

pugs
01-17-2011, 07:19 PM
I have a DD with the electronic touch control.So far I have not had any trouble out of it.I will keep a watch out. It has less than 200 hours on it.

As long as you keep them from touching things besides your hands they should be ok. Actually there are some people that they dont even detect I guess which is another reason they are gone...but this is a small percent of the population I think.

gasracer
01-17-2011, 10:15 PM
As long as you keep them from touching things besides your hands they should be ok. Actually there are some people that they dont even detect I guess which is another reason they are gone...but this is a small percent of the population I think.

I use the safety lever because I wear gloves most of the time and it doesn't detect through them.

TPS
01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
So the new ones dont have that problem?

gasracer
01-22-2011, 08:37 PM
They no longer put touch sensors on them just safety handles.