PDA

View Full Version : storing spray equipment for winter

Casey
09-02-2002, 04:32 PM
I'm not putting the equipment away for winter yet, but I want to be prepared. I'm running a hypro 30 pump and 300ft hose. What do I need to do to winterize the equipment so it doesn't freeze while stored for the winter, in Nebraska and we do spend our share of time with the temps well below zero. I noticed that the RV antifreeze is on sale at the local hardware right now and thoght if something like that would work I would go ahead and stock up now.

MATTHEW
09-02-2002, 05:53 PM
I used it one year and did not mix it properly. It froze.
Luckily, it worked the next spring with no problems.
I called the manufacturer and they told me to just run it dry and it should be ok. I still think it should have the RV stuff in there.

cantoo
09-02-2002, 09:35 PM
RV antifreeze should work good. I left some of my equipment with nothing in it, even after I blew air in the lines there was still some water left. I would use the aitifreeze.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-02-2002, 11:59 PM
I have heat.

Put straight RV anti-freeze in the pump only if you don't feel you can blow the water out of it.

The hose, disconnect and blow it out. Or pull it all the way out and roll it up while disconnected with the valve open.

Rob Spread & Spray
09-03-2002, 07:21 AM
Your best bet is going to be warm storage. Dont forget to run a cleaning slovent through tank also.:blob3:

HBFOXJr
09-04-2002, 10:51 AM
RV antifreeze! I t can get slushy at very low temps so check its temp range. It takes the I forgot, or not good enough winterization out of the equation. Makes for good peace of mind.

Casey
09-04-2002, 11:37 PM
thanks for all the input.....I'll go with the RV antifreeze....heated storage would be nice.....thought I had it made a couple of days ago. Saw an ad for climate contolled storage at 85 per month, called the guy, said it was big enough for my trailer and had a garage style door but was inside a larger building with a 4ft door for an entrance not sure what the purpose of having several storage areas with garage doors if you limit the main entrance to 4ft