PDA

View Full Version : For the uninsured guys...

fiveoboy01
01-16-2011, 08:10 PM
I snipped this from my pictures thread...

Pay attention all you uninsured guys....

I was plowing a trucking company lot and I was looking out my lefthand window at a snowpile, wondering where I was going to push it. I happened to be a little farther to the right than I thought. I was backing up, then a jerk and a crunch...

http://fiveoboy01.smugmug.com/Other/LOCKED/truck-smashed/1156628811_7976V-L.jpg
OOPS.

Tip - Semitrailers don't move

For you guys who whine that insurance is something you can't afford, wait till you do something like this. I paid $500 out of pocket, without insurance this would have been almost 6K out of my pocket... Remember, insurance is only expensive until you have to use it. Yeah sure, just watch where you're going, yes I get that... But **** happens.

The floor of the bed was crinkled up, bumper bent and bumper brackets bent. Luckily, I missed the salter by about 10 inches.

She's good as new now. All new(take off from an '09) bed, new liner... New stickers... Even with an '09 gate haha!

http://fiveoboy01.smugmug.com/Other/LOCKED/truckfixed/1156648004_WFvVZ-L.jpg

Point of this thread?

If you don't have insurance, you should strongly consider it. It can save your ass! The trailer was a bit messed up and if the customer would have wanted it fixed(they didn't care as it was an out of service storage trailer), my liability portion of my insurance would have covered the cost.

newjerseylandscaping
01-16-2011, 08:14 PM
THis makes me sad. like the new bed though.

Lefet
01-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Great thread!!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

knox gsl
01-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Amen, these kind of mistakes happen to the best of us and we need to be ready when they do.

lawnpro724
01-16-2011, 09:41 PM
I think when everyone talks about uninsured there talking about business liability insurance and workers comp insurance. I'm insurance poor but glad I have it for just the reason you stated. That was a nice truck I hope you get it back soon. Do you have another truck?

MarcSmith
01-16-2011, 09:56 PM
gaurantee that if you had homeowners vehicle insurance and not a business/commercial insurance policy you would have been paying 6k out of pocket...

if you are running a business, better have commercial vehicle insurance..

mattfromNY
01-16-2011, 10:22 PM
I had a similar outcome a few years back when I was plowing a parking lot. A guy backed out of a parking space while I was backing up, and I hit him. Didn't do much to my truck, but totaled the rear corner of his car. Insurance company told me if I hadn't had commercial auto insurance, I would have been paying for his car out of pocket.

ArTurf
01-16-2011, 10:29 PM
I have a no backing up policy for my company. Over 90% of accidents happen while backing up. There are very few situations that you cannot avoid backing. I tell my workers it is better to drive around the block than back. A little extra time & gas are much less than an accident costs you.

MarcSmith
01-16-2011, 10:56 PM
when plowing, hard not to back up...

fiveoboy01
01-16-2011, 11:12 PM

Agreed.

It could make sense to implement a policy like that in the summer time but definitely not in the winter.

Another good point was made, be sure your piece of equipment is insured properly for whatever you are using it for!

And to answer the question yes we have another truck but this is the only plow truck. Functionally it was fine, just missing a working taillight. So I drove it around for a couple weeks while waiting for the claim to be approved and the body shop to get their butts in gear. That was embarrasing:laugh:

newjerseylandscaping
01-17-2011, 01:50 AM
How do you guys feel about regular insurance with a commercial rider? Also if anyone has this WHat type of plates do you have, Commercial? or regular? thanks in advance.

Swampy
01-17-2011, 02:07 AM

To a point, if its a pickup you should be okay, Now if its something like a F550 with a dump body, then no. Back it up a little to turn around and keep going forward. Plus if you use something that big it should be in a lot you can easily turn around in.

Swampy
01-17-2011, 02:10 AM
How do you guys feel about regular insurance with a commercial rider? Also if anyone has this WHat type of plates do you have, Commercial? or regular? thanks in advance.

Your going have to contact your state's DOT or get a answer from someone in your state. Here in WI plating commerical vehicles matters the weight. My old flatbed was plated for 15,000 or 16,000lbs (granted it would never see it but safe than sorry) but my 1/2 ton just has regular C class truck plates.

yardguy28
01-17-2011, 09:48 AM

i don't fully understand the insurance world but here is what i do know.

i have a truck that is both my personal vehicle and my work truck. it has commercial insurance on it. that covers accidents i have while working and accidents i have off work time.

i don't have seperate policys for work and non work times. its all one package.

Clark Griswold
01-17-2011, 01:30 PM
I think when everyone talks about uninsured there talking about business liability insurance and workers comp insurance

That's correct!

In my state you can't even renew plates or register your vehicle without proper insurance & up to date insurance card must be carried at all times or else huge fines.

But to run a business you don't absolutely have to have the proper liability insurance here, anything goes!