PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Mentor

Green Acres
01-16-2011, 08:25 PM
I've been doing this for about 10 yrs now. I have a couple of employees and am looking to grow a lot this year. Looking for someone that has a bigger company than I do to bounce ideas off of and help me get to the next level. Would like someone that does around 1 million in sales a year and not located near me so there's no competition. I know this whole site is basically a mentor program but just looking for more of a one on one. If someone is interested just send me a pm. Thanks

XLS
01-16-2011, 08:57 PM
what do you have on your mind exactly??

Green Acres
01-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Just someone to talk to maybe once a week or so though email, lawnsite etc. I have mainly done hardscaping for the last few years like retaining walls, concrete, patio's etc. Would like to get back into mowing and maintenance. Would like to hire a salesman this year and maybe add some other services. There's a lot of information on this site but sometimes too much. Just thought if I communicated with maybe a couple of people directly that have already done what I want to do. That would help me more.

XLS
01-16-2011, 09:34 PM
It sounds like your looking for the good idea fairy to me . I dont care to talk to people but knowing that each person on here and in life does things differently it will be hard to learn from groups of people without finding the good idea fairy and in a while of talking you will find that it is You who will do it . Idont mind sharing ideas but as far as money and pricing I wont discuss how much to charge for a service outside of business basics.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
01-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Green Acres,
Have you considered talking with a business consultant. I started working with one 18 mo ago and it has done wonder for me and my business. No offense, but taking advice from someone on an open forum might not be the best way to advance your business. Check to see if you have a Clear Choice business consultant in your area. Will be the best money you ever spent.

James

wbw
01-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Join trade organizations to meet your new mentor. Also, I would look into score.

RHayden
01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
+1 for the SCORE program. It is an excellent an underutilized resource.

oldclawn
01-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Actually this site is primarily for entertainment purposes and anyone trying to make business decisions based on information, opinions and hearsay on this site probably has other life issues to deal with. As XLS said--it's ultimately all YOU!

sandy creek
01-18-2011, 04:29 AM
I tried to contact SCORE about a year and a half ago and was told to make an appointment, would leave voice mail with the person who schedules the appointments because they never would answer the phone and could never even get a call back. I wrote them off as a joke. I hope your branch of SCORE is better than the Baton Rouge branch.

bohiaa
01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
The way I got mine was By Looking around, there's a guy in the next county over, running right around a million a month. I called him up talked to him. and now once a month I take him out to lunch. and I sometimes pick his brain for 3 hours.

and this lunch is written off.

Get some one not too far away. so you can meet face to face.

Best of luck