PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Customers

exmark user
01-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Whats thw worst customer youve ever had or funny or ridiculous,
they things they said or did and your reactions.

Just makin some conversation and things to laugh at !:hammerhead:

millenium_123
01-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Had a crazy customer one time who always wanted me to do her yard first. However if there was dew, she would insist I wait because it would be "too wet." She was also CHEAP, but wanted the best of everything. Finally dropped her cuz she was too much trouble.

MOturkey
01-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Had one that was moving and putting the house up for sale. I looked at the property when he wasn't home, and called to give him my estimate. We talked FOREVER. The guy told me his whole life story, said my extimate was fine, and would I rather he pay me directly until the house sold or let the realtor handle it, and when he was moving and the approximate date the place would need the first mowing.

A week or so later, I was close to the place, so dropped by to introduce myself. Guy acted like he didn't know who I was, so I told him I was the one who had given him a quote over the telephone the week before. He still acted totally confused, and finally told me that his realtor was handling all the stuff for the house and that he'd be glad to give them my card and quote. I finally just went back to my truck and left. I don't know if the guy was high or drunk when I talked to him or what, although he didn't sound like it, and he wasn't old, probably around 45. I'm still shaking my head over that one, but I am glad I went by, because I doubt I would have ever gotten paid if I had just started service like we agreed over the phone.

yardatwork
01-17-2011, 10:39 AM
I had a PITA customer who wanted me to blow all the leaves out of her woods. She also didn't want me to use my Cyclone Rake because it was loud and dusty. She also didn't want me using my ZTR on any hill because she thought I would roll it over. Oh...back to the leaves...she wanted me to start at the front of her yard each week and blow her yard free of leaves (even though I bagged her yard)...from front yard to woods...I'd estimate about 50 yards long! I laughed at her and said NO. She told me that I was the SEVENTH lawn care company she had that year...hmmmm!!!!! Needless to say, I wasn't planning to continue working for her. She eventually called and canceled services! Then about six years later, she stopped me at another lawn and asked if I would do her leaves. She totally forgot that I had worked for her years prior.

PLS-Tx
01-17-2011, 11:02 AM
I could write a book, where shall I begin?

How about we talk about crazy Lawnsite members????? :laugh:

wild willy
01-17-2011, 11:19 AM
This fall the neighbour came over when I showed up to do the leaves in my customers gated backyard. When I opened the gate a bunch of leaves( about 50) were blown out an onto an area between the houses.( a small area littered with leaves) She's a lovely piece of work to start with...and asked if I was going to pick those leaves up..and without skipping a beat I said " sure I will..just tell which ones are the ones that came out and I will gladly pick them up") and carried on my merry way.
Same neighbour only Its the old man this time complained that when I backdragged the snow out of the drive and piled it up at the end (of my customers side) and windrowed the remains onto MY customers property...became enraged and told me he was going to call the cops because it was illegal...I immediately reminded him the his pile of snow that was pushed into the park beside him was a serious violation and I would call the bylaw officers and make him move his pile. I did remind him that his GOLDEN years were best enjoyed not worrying about stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with him and is none of his business.

2ndNature
01-17-2011, 12:10 PM
My best was from landscaping this year-

We set up to do a $15,000 set of boulder walls for this lady on her 5 acre house. From day 1 she wanted to hand pick the boulders and to tell us exactly which side of the boulder she wanted facing the front at what angle she wanted the boulder to sit. Many of these boulders were in excess of 500lbs.

Yeah- I ended up just taking the down payment money and leaving her the boulders. Washed our hands of her craziness. She ended up hiring a friend of ours and she has now called him back 3 times (at no charge to her) to rearrange some stones.

It was a hard decision to walk away but some customers are way more trouble than they are worth!!!

exmark user
01-17-2011, 04:56 PM
People are crazy these days!!

Agape
01-17-2011, 06:02 PM
I could write a book, where shall I begin?

How about we talk about crazy Lawnsite members????? :laugh:

I'm not crazy!...Everyone else is crazy, and they're trying to steal my magic bag!!!:dizzy:

Valk
01-19-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm not crazy!...Everyone else is crazy, and they're trying to steal my magic bag!!!:dizzy:
Through introspection...I've arrived at the conclusion that EVERYONE is crazy!!! :jester:

lawnsunlimited6
01-20-2011, 02:40 AM
its in the food watch FOOD INC.

eggie329
01-20-2011, 03:46 AM
One of my many favorites is a customer who purchased a foreclosed house and we were doing a full clean up of the yard and re-constructing the front flower beds and landscape. When I wrote up the estimate we walked the property and she told me it was fine to removal all of the overgrown bushes and roto-till the front of the house. So we cleared the entire bed and neatly raked the soil even. She came home screaming out of control in here driveway asking where her pear tree was. I just said what are you talking about? The was only one tree in that bed and it was a eucalyptus tree about 3ft tall. She insisted there was a pear tree there and I kindly explained it was not a pear tree and it would just take over the bed. She refused to stop screaming until I dug the tree out of the truck and showed her it was not a pear tree. She then tried to tell me she wanted me to get her a pear tree and put it in free of charge for the inconvenience. I just found that part funny!

944own
01-20-2011, 08:47 AM
I posted this back in the fall, I had a customer I was doing leaves for. The customer wanted the leaves mulched not bagged, I had mulched leaves in the open parts of the yard. Then I was blowing leaves out of the beds and from under trees so I could go back over them and mulch the rest of the leaves. The lady came out tapped my shoulder and said I wanted my leaves mulched not blown into piles, I tried to explain I was just getting them in the open so I can mulch them with my mower but she just never got it. I dropped her I dont need someone telling me how to do leaves at least wait till im done then complain if your not happy dont look at the job half way through.

Jimslawncareservice
01-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Had one that was moving and putting the house up for sale. I looked at the property when he wasn't home, and called to give him my estimate. We talked FOREVER. The guy told me his whole life story, said my extimate was fine, and would I rather he pay me directly until the house sold or let the realtor handle it, and when he was moving and the approximate date the place would need the first mowing.

A week or so later, I was close to the place, so dropped by to introduce myself. Guy acted like he didn't know who I was, so I told him I was the one who had given him a quote over the telephone the week before. He still acted totally confused, and finally told me that his realtor was handling all the stuff for the house and that he'd be glad to give them my card and quote. I finally just went back to my truck and left. I don't know if the guy was high or drunk when I talked to him or what, although he didn't sound like it, and he wasn't old, probably around 45. I'm still shaking my head over that one, but I am glad I went by, because I doubt I would have ever gotten paid if I had just started service like we agreed over the phone.

i had the same thing happen to me here in mn in 08. the guy was pharm. rep. said he was divorced now living with his young gf who had kids. i thought the guy would never shut up. sent the bills, sent the bills, sent the bills. finally someone else was mowing. so i was like what the f. so i call him. he doesnt know me, or remember telling me all his personal stuff. then said his realiter set things up. I said but you set stuff with me also and mowed x times. I fibbed him and said i had a signed contract from him. got a check 3 days later with a note attached saying he shouldnt be paying for something he never agreed to. sometimes i wonder how some people seem to exist they are so bone headed.

Frank's Lawn Care
02-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Whats thw worst customer youve ever had or funny or ridiculous,
they things they said or did and your reactions.

Just makin some conversation and things to laugh at !:hammerhead:

I passed out fliers stating $25 a cut or a 38 cut a yr plan $80 a month. Had a couple of ppl call an say thats $80 for the whole yr for 38 cuts? lol..

BadRancher
02-03-2011, 11:38 PM
I had a customer answer the door in underwear only before. It sucked because it was a dude and he still didn't have my money.

I lost a customers phone number once and had to go by her house and get it. I got there and she said "Sweetie you could have just called me and got that". And she was a teacher, scary.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frank's Lawn Care
02-03-2011, 11:46 PM
the sadest thing thats ever happened to me. I just cut a yard, the lady next door came out. An older lady looked all there very nice. She asked if i worked for the guy that cuts her lawn. I said no. She said her dog died 2 yrs ago and was buried in the back yard and she could hear him barking..And asked if i would dig him up to make sure he was dead..I didnt..I talked to her lawn guy and she has got him to dig up and rebury the dog before. So sad. God please if i get like that take me. amen!

ShooterK2
02-04-2011, 08:43 AM
I had a customer answer the door in underwear only before. It sucked because it was a dude and he still didn't have my money.Posted via Mobile Device

Oh my gosh, this is EPICALLY funny!! This is one of the funniest things I have read on Lawnsite!! I'm sure it probably wasn't funny at the time, but..........

Sorry man, just ribbin ya. Still hilarious though......... I'm still laughing out loud, and my dog is looking at me funny since nobody else is home........

You're killin' me here!!

exmark user
02-04-2011, 03:28 PM
lol lol lol

BadRancher
02-04-2011, 04:02 PM
I also mow a yard and the clients have a one eyed Golden Lab in the back yard. One day I was going into the back yard and he shot out of the gate. I chased him about a half mile round trip, we both almost got hit by a car. I ended up getting him back in the front yard and throwing a stick into the backyard gate and he "retrieved" it. I should have thought of that first.

One other time I mowed the wrong yard. It was ayard my friend was cutting and he decided to stop in that area because he had lack of yards there. In the same subdivision there is a Woodgate Pl and a Woodgate Dr. I was supposed to be going to Woodgate Pl. but I didn't make it. I mowed the yard a lil old lady came out and said I wasn't the guy that normally cut. She said where is Ryan. I told her my name is Chris Ryan and I was the guy...... Then it sunk in I was at the wrong place. Not my proudest moment, but funny now looking back. She offered to pay and I told her no then she made me take it because it looked good.

clean_cut
02-04-2011, 05:07 PM
I lost a customers phone number once and had to go by her house and get it. I got there and she said "Sweetie you could have just called me and got that". And she was a teacher, scary.
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That is FUNNY!!!!!!

Gotta love people these days!

BadRancher
02-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Yea ahaha. I have had some funny things happen to me. There is a guy on here that has had some funny off the wall stories, but I can't remember his handle. He told a story one time about a drunk crackhead chick hopping in his lap while he was on his mower and the she squatted between his truck and his trailor and took a pis right in front of him. Maybe someone will read this and know and maybe find the thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLAWNS
02-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Yea ahaha. I have had some funny things happen to me. There is a guy on here that has had some funny off the wall stories, but I can't remember his handle. He told a story one time about a drunk crackhead chick hopping in his lap while he was on his mower and the she squatted between his truck and his trailor and took a pis right in front of him. Maybe someone will read this and know and maybe find the thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know where to find the thread but I do remember that story. Crazy stuff! One of my personal favorites that was the guy that was trimming shrubs and a neighbor asked him to do hers. He said he would be over to do an estimate and she freaked out that he should do it for free. Her inbred son came over and yelled at him and called the cops. The cops told him to get real and when he called them again they took his as* away! Classic!

Frank's Lawn Care
02-04-2011, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=DLAWNS;3881470]I don't know where to find the thread but I do remember that story. Crazy stuff! One of my personal favorites that was the guy that was trimming shrubs and a neighbor asked him to do hers. He said he would be over to do an estimate and she freaked out that he should do it for free. Her inbred son came over and yelled at him and called the cops. The cops told him to get real and when he called them again they took his as* away! Classic![/QUOTe

LOL! That is FUNNY! I bet he was like... Do it for free? lol

BadRancher
02-04-2011, 11:07 PM
I don't know where to find the thread but I do remember that story. Crazy stuff! One of my personal favorites that was the guy that was trimming shrubs and a neighbor asked him to do hers. He said he would be over to do an estimate and she freaked out that he should do it for free. Her inbred son came over and yelled at him and called the cops. The cops told him to get real and when he called them again they took his as* away! Classic!

Posted via Mobile Device
Hahahaha. I remember that one too. I hope if someone remembers the thread starters on those they will bump them.

BINKY1902
02-04-2011, 11:35 PM
I have this one place where they have two boxers that stay in the house, but they let them out in the back yard to do their business. I always go to the front door to let them know I'm there, and they make sure the dogs are put up. Well, one day I went to the door, they said go ahead, the dogs were put up, so I get my mower and head to the back. I got into the back gate, and cranked up the 21". I was making my first pass when out of the corner of my eye I see the two boxers coming at me full speed. At this time they are about 15 feet away from me. I let go of the mower and went to jump the five foot fence, and when I went up the boxer grabbed my shoe. I got hung up on the top of the fence while the boxer was chewing on my ankle. I finally pulled one more time and got over the fence, but the top of the fence went into my hand pretty good, cutting it open. The owners run out, and by this time I have blood all over my hand, arm, and clothes. I just layed there for a minute. They ran up checking on me, and said the door wasn't latched good and the dogs jumped up against the door when I cranked the mower, and the door came open. The bite didn't draw blood but the sharp top of the fence tore me up pretty good. I had a first aid kit in the truck, so I wrapped it up and finished the job, with blood all over me. I was mad at first, but what do you do.

BINKY1902
02-05-2011, 12:36 AM
I was mulching leaves last winter at one of my customers homes when the neighbors' lab comes running over and jumps on the deck of my walk behind, and started trying to bite the engine. I got him to go home, and later while I'm on my zero-turn I look back and he's back there biting the bags on my bagging unit. I got him to go back home again. Then after I load up and am backing out of the driveway to leave, I hear a thud in the back of the truck, and look back and he's standing on my toolbox wanting to ride home with me.

BadRancher
02-05-2011, 01:24 AM
I was mulching leaves last winter at one of my customers homes when the neighbors' lab comes running over and jumps on the deck of my walk behind, and started trying to bite the engine. I got him to go home, and later while I'm on my zero-turn I look back and he's back there biting the bags on my bagging unit. I got him to go back home again. Then after I load up and am backing out of the driveway to leave, I hear a thud in the back of the truck, and look back and he's standing on my toolbox wanting to ride home with me.
I hope that lab didn't look like the one on the bottom right!
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/chrisryan26/lab.jpg

clean_cut
02-05-2011, 12:59 PM
I hope that lab didn't look like the one on the bottom right!
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/chrisryan26/lab.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's funny!

djchiodo3
02-05-2011, 04:34 PM
I had a some what attractive lady come out and ask if I could trim her bush. I looked at her funny and said "point to it" She did not get it. I walked into a small gated fenced area to trim a shrub. It was a privacy fence blocking a large shower door. Unfortunately there was teenage boy showing. We both freaked. The worst was seeing one of my clients get out of his hot tub. He was 79 and naked. I still have nightmares to this day.

ReddensLawnCare
02-05-2011, 10:54 PM
I maintain an HOA here with about 30 houses...each one with a small garden right by the house and lawn behind it separated with a walkway...there is one lady that just hates me and is not quite right in the head in my opinion...so anyways..i had finished mowing and trimming and was getting started with blowing all of the paths and common areas...now its important to know that the wind has been blowing towards her back door for the whole day...so i get behind her home to blow of the path and she jumps in front of me with a broom and then proceeds to kneel down and start picking up blades of grass while cussing me out...i couldnt help but laugh at her which only made it worse. She began to accuse me of coming around and blowing all of her neighbors and hers grass into her flowerbed b/c i did not like her...i tried to tell her that i had just started blowing and that it was b/c the wind was blowing...her response....Well thats not my problem, you shouldnt rely on the wind to do your blowing for you. If you had any common sense you would have had your helper blow use the blower to blow the grass away from my garden while you mowed.....i then kindly explained that I pointed my discharge away from the homes/gardens at all times.,.she cussed me out a few more times and I told her to get over, have a drink, and get laid...she walked inside and that was it....moral of the story...dont do any work at that hoa when she is around

ReddensLawnCare
02-05-2011, 10:55 PM
** oh and she still hates me

exmark user
02-06-2011, 10:15 AM
funny storys!!

FLAhaulboy
02-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Had a guy hired me once, to demolish an old undrivable RV. Was going to use a sawzall/generator, & cut off torch, cut it up and haul it away. This thing had been sitting there for 15+ yrs. No gas cap on the tank & I'm thinking its probably full of water by now. I torched a small hole in the side of tank and a little stream of on fire gas was pouring out into the ground, I went to grab a shovel, throw some dirt on it, put it out quickly, until a visiting idiot stepped up and put a piece of 2' x 4' plywood under where the gas was pouring into the dirt, gas ran all over the board & UNDER the RV, within (2) mins, the whole RV was engulfed in a roaring fireball! Fire Dept put it out but it left me a bigger mess to clean up. Mr Idiot disappeared fore the firemen showed up, good thing cause I was ready to kick his ass good!

old oak lawn
02-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Had a guy hired me once, to demolish an old undrivable RV. Was going to use a sawzall/generator, & cut off torch, cut it up and haul it away. This thing had been sitting there for 15+ yrs. No gas cap on the tank & I'm thinking its probably full of water by now. I torched a small hole in the side of tank and a little stream of on fire gas was pouring out into the ground, I went to grab a shovel, throw some dirt on it, put it out quickly, until a visiting idiot stepped up and put a piece of 2' x 4' plywood under where the gas was pouring into the dirt, gas ran all over the board & UNDER the RV, within (2) mins, the whole RV was engulfed in a roaring fireball! Fire Dept put it out but it left me a bigger mess to clean up. Mr Idiot disappeared fore the firemen showed up, good thing cause I was ready to kick his ass good!

YOU cut a hole in a gas tank with a torch and your calling someone else a Idiot ? Its like Ok this RV has been sitting for 15 years, let me cut a hole in the gas tank with a torch and see if i kill my self or not.

FLAhaulboy
02-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Had there been Ivory Soap in the tank, I would of had napalm!

Sal_Moides
02-07-2011, 05:40 PM
I HAD a lady whose lawn was covered with dandy-lions, she didn't't want me to use herbicide, ask me to pull them all by hand. I then informed her that it would be cost prohibitive. She later accused me of "just smashing the grass over to make it look like I mowed". I told her that every week I'm in the neighborhood so i just stop by and walk my $4000 machine around your yard not cutting anything. Is this what you are saying? And she says "That's exactly what I'm saying". So I say "Where are all the little yellow flowers". Turned away fired up and put machine back on the trailer, and never went back. C u next tuesday.

coxslawncare
02-07-2011, 09:35 PM
A few years ago i had a yard that I had cut a few times. The guy always struck me as wierd but left cash under the mat so whatever. I would catch him peeking out of the mini blinds a few times every visit also. The last time I was scheduled to go to his house he called me 22 times in 2 days to "confirm the confirmation" that I was coming. Called at 4:30 in the morning which was the last straw. I ignored the call and called him back when I woke up. Told him that he needed to find someone else to cut his yard trying to be polite and he started to cuss at me so I hung up. My phone immediately rang so I let it go to voicemail and in the voice from the girl on wedding crashers I hear "you hung up on me". he left me 18 messages that day with the beginning ones being angry and the last few asking if we could still be friends.

Frank's Lawn Care
02-07-2011, 10:51 PM
lmao, lol We work hard. There's plenty of yards out there. So... I don't put up with the bs. When you do good work you keep the people you have and others call you. last year i got rid of the trouble makers fast. One lady lied to me and said. Didn't i pay you cash the first of april. No! My first cut was the last week of april and you gave me a check. Bs! Trying to not pay me. So, before my next cut.. Told her my 21" mower broke can't cut your lawn BYE.. Hate lairs!!

onlythebest
02-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Lol you hate liars but you lied to get out of having to service their lawn. I would have told her the truth and said sorry but your going to have to find someone else....

Then, I would have recommended my competition to her so she can wate their time ad do less lawns :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Frank's Lawn Care
02-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Lol you hate liars but you lied to get out of having to service their lawn. I would have told her the truth and said sorry but your going to have to find someone else....

Then, I would have recommended my competition to her so she can wate their time ad do less lawns :)
Posted via Mobile Device

lol! thats funny

tradeyouraccounts
02-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Sometimes there is no pleasing customers, no matter what you do to accommodate them and at that time they should no longer be a customer. Time is money and it shouldn't be wasted. After enough time spent trying to accommodate them you must know that you're barking up the wrong tree (Thats a British expression for time wasting:nono:)

old oak lawn
02-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Sometimes there is no pleasing customers, no matter what you do to accommodate them and at that time they should no longer be a customer. Time is money and it shouldn't be wasted. After enough time spent trying to accommodate them you must know that you're barking up the wrong tree (Thats a British expression for time wasting:nono:)

Very true, if you cant make them happy it is best to just tell them that it is not working out and they have to find someone else. Best to tell them, don't just stop showing up. If they press you why it is not working tell them, Honesty is still the best policy

ReddensLawnCare
02-08-2011, 09:23 AM
i have one customer that I cant really stand...He is extremely anal about his yard and will get pretty upset if he finds ONE weed in his yard when he is walking around in it. It took some time but I just do my best and let the chips fall as they may...He isnt home most of the time so i just do my work and leave and send him a bill each month...I might not like him but I sure do like his money :)

grassmonkey0311
07-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Anyone got any crazy stories this year?

Had a new customer, the first mowing, she calls flipping out. The guys left her gate open by accident, and she had a dog.

She said "Oh my, well, huh, um, thank God I was home! I mean, what if, they left, gate, huh...they left my gate open, what if my dog got out?! I mean really, thank God I was home!"

After I calmed her down, I said it'd leave a note for them to make sure the gate was closed. 45 minutes later, a call back from her:

"I was just leaving and noticed by my driveway they left a 4' patch they didn't mow."

I explained sometimes property lines can be hard to find, but I will send them out to fix it. She was fine with it, until the following week:

"I uh, well, I'm inspecting the lawn and the right side of the driveway is longer than the left. I mean, this is getting crazy."

I explained the right side of her driveway sits higher than the left, its also rounded and not flat. The same guy used the same mower on both sides, its the same height. She says "Oh, maybe your right".

Then the following week she calls to compalin about the trimming. I went over her house, yet again, to see if I could find the problem. I walked her yard for 30 minutes and couldn't see anything. I asked her for specifics, as I couldnt see anything, and she sent me this LIST of every spot she didn't like. I politely told her I'd have to end the service.

PicturePerfectLawns
07-11-2014, 09:17 AM
I found the best policy to be honest with them and tell them your not fit to service their lawn. One thing my mother taught me before even thinking about going in business is some customers just aren't worth it. If their costing more of a hassle then your making off them, then their simply not worth it. Your in business to make money, your going to have things to deal with and crazy people to deal with, but you only deal with as much as you put up with.

I had a customer that wanted her yard cut down to 1". Griped me and told me to cut it lower after I cut it at 1" until I explained to her I don't have a mower that cuts any lower then 1". She then started adding one thing she wanted done for free. Then another, then another, until I drew the line. I had my final straw with her after she told me to put her first on the list before all my other customers after a few days of heavy rain in the Spring. Did I mention her calling and leaving 5+ voicemails before 8 a.m.? Then she proceeds to tell me how I can't show up at 8 a.m. because her neighbors will get mad and I have to be there before 1 before she goes to work, (on her time.) After that she got an explanation of why I would no-longer be servicing her lawn. Worst one I've had to deal with so far.