PDA

View Full Version : lawn signs?

kylesturf
01-17-2011, 12:55 AM
I am thinking bout getting little lawn signs to stick in my customers yards, and on major road way corners.Just wonder what you folks pay for signs.Also are the signs worth money will i see any profit. :drinkup::weightlifter:

thanks
kyle

gasracer
01-17-2011, 11:54 AM
There are some city codes against putting they on roadways. You can get fined.

Lefet
01-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Choose your customers yards carefully. You may only be looking at the lawn, but the person passing by will see the broken down fence, the untamed hedges, screen door missing, etc. People look at EVERYTHING, and you may not be responsible for it.
Also, don't be surprised if they want a discount because they let you advertise in their yard.
Check your city codes, and pick a place that you will ride by FREQUENTLY. Competition has a habit of making things disappear.

TexasFire221
01-17-2011, 12:16 PM
My first season I used some nice metal yard signs like the realitors use. Within a week I gained 6 other lawn on the same street. The last two season I have not used them at all and im not really sure why. I will probably get the coroplast ones this season to put out. www.victorysigns.com I think was the site I used for the holiday signs I had made.

Exact Rototilling
01-17-2011, 02:58 PM
I call these signs.... roadside SPAM

I have used them in the past and currently only use them now in one specific location. I've ordered the ones from VistaPrint that have the Quick mower on them and have also done a custom designed one for aerations and a self designed one for snow. I have placed them in clients lawns 18" x 27" size. Most of them have been stolen or removed. I even use the smaller applicator type ones for aeration and the return on investment has been ZERO thus far.

For the money spent, at least for me, return on investment has been FAR better spent on flyers and door hangers.

:waving:

mowerbrad
01-17-2011, 03:53 PM
I've been toying with this idea for a while, myself. I haven't yet "pulled the trigger" on it but maybe one day.

When you design your sign, don't make it too complicated. You have to remember that people could be driving by those signs at speeds of 45mph. They are going to have minimal time to actually read the signs, so what you put on the sign needs to be big, easy to read and right to the point. Don't bother to list services, service area, etc. Something like, "Joe Smith Lawn Mowing- (222)-222-2222", is enough.

You also need to think about placement of these signs. You need to put them in lawns you service that really stand out (in a good way). Putting these signs in POS lawns that you happen to service, isn't going to get you many customers. But putting these signs in very well maintained properties you service is going to give you the best chance to have people call you. You will also need to think about location. Putting these signs on side streets in neighborhoods isn't going to be very helpful to you. But putting these signs on properties that are right on higher traveled roads will increase your chances to be seen increase dramatically.

You may want to offer some type of incentive for customers to have these signs in their lawn. Maybe put up the sign for 2 weeks and give the customer a few bucks off their monthly bill.

Move the signs around your town to gain even more visibility for your company. Keeping them all in one spot isn't going to help.

As long as the signs are those 18"x27" or what ever they are exactly, you shouldn't have a problem with fines from cities or townships. If you go any bigger than that, you will have to worry about getting fined.

I don't have the email any more from a company who gave me a quote on some of these signs, but I think it was around $15-$20/sign.

Never hurts to try.

Exact Rototilling
01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
I only put them where traffic has to stop and stare at them. 4 way stop double sided.
Posted via Mobile Device

walker-talker
01-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Do a search on ebay. You can get 100 of the 18" x 24" coroplast signs, H stakes, one color, both sides for $258 shipped. I plan on getting 100 or 200. They will simple say "LAWN MOWING (http://www.progressivelawn.com/lawn-mowing.html), 243-LAWN" on three lines. Our city will pick them up, but you can actually buy them back for $1 each. Might be worth if you can get the stake back. My cousin, who works for the city is always telling me to put them on the other side of the sidewalk. If I do, they will not get taken away.

kylesturf
01-18-2011, 09:12 PM
walker do you know what you typed in.I went to ebay and couldnt find anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

walker-talker
01-19-2011, 12:29 AM
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4840.m570.l1313&_nkw=18+24+yard+sign+stake&_sacat=See-All-Categories

kylesturf
01-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all the help walker I think am going to buy some and see what happens.thanks everone for all of there input.
Posted via Mobile Device

TexasFire221
01-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Do a search on ebay. You can get 100 of the 18" x 24" coroplast signs, H stakes, one color, both sides for $258 shipped. I plan on getting 100 or 200. They will simple say "LAWN MOWING (http://www.progressivelawn.com/lawn-mowing.html), 243-LAWN" on three lines. Our city will pick them up, but you can actually buy them back for $1 each. Might be worth if you can get the stake back. My cousin, who works for the city is always telling me to put them on the other side of the sidewalk. If I do, they will not get taken away.

Put them out Friday afternoon and they wont be touched until Monday

walker-talker
01-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Put them out Friday afternoon and they wont be touched until Monday

Good idea. I don't think many will get touched until it's time to mow the property that they are on, unless there is just an over abundance of them. I plan on going out about 3am. This way I can stop at intersections and get out and don't have to worry about traffic.

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
I call these signs.... roadside SPAM

I have used them in the past and currently only use them now in one specific location. I've ordered the ones from VistaPrint that have the Quick mower on them and have also done a custom designed one for aerations and a self designed one for snow. I have placed them in clients lawns 18" x 27" size. Most of them have been stolen or removed. I even use the smaller applicator type ones for aeration and the return on investment has been ZERO thus far.

For the money spent, at least for me, return on investment has been FAR better spent on flyers and door hangers.

:waving:

I call them Targets

And I'm Getting REALLY good too :drinkup:

TexasFire221
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=bohiaa;3863597]I call them Targets

And I'm Getting REALLY good too :drinkup:[/QUOTE

Moron

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=bohiaa;3863597]I call them Targets

And I'm Getting REALLY good too :drinkup:[/QUOTE

Moron

Awwww, did it hurt............:laugh:

Boi, what in Gods mane do you think Engineers Build ?

YOur funny

TexasFire221
01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=TexasFire221;3863611]

Awwww, did it hurt............:laugh:

Boi, what in Gods mane do you think Engineers Build ?

YOur funny

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rnd
02-04-2011, 05:51 PM
come check out our website at rndsigns.com or call us at 800-328-4009 to get a free quote on any of our products. The lawn posting signs are what we're known for -
New this season we offer a UV coating which is standard on all Multi-full color signs
Request a FREE sample packet to look at

rnd
02-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Check out our website at rndsigns.com to see hundreds of layouts on our posting signs - at no additional charge all multi and full color signs will be UV coated for added durability

1,000 - 6 x 6 signs 1 standard color - 1 sided with our step stake price is .167 cents

Download a FREE marketing handbook and planner