PDA

View Full Version : ford ranger

fastcat
01-17-2011, 10:45 AM
i have a chevy 2500 hd duramax right know that i pull my 5x10 trailer loaded with a lazer and hand helds. i get about 13-14 miles per gallon pulling the trailer. i am thinking about getting a mid 90's ford ranger 2.3 4 cylinder 5 speed manual this year to pull the trailer wih and still keeping the chevy. how many mpg's are you guys getting with and with out a trailer on your rangers.

KS_Grasscutter
01-17-2011, 11:28 AM
I had a 99 Ranger at one point, 2.3l, 5 speed. Reg cab long bed. It got around 20 to 25 mpg, mix of highway and in town. That was without a trailer though, I would almost be hesitant to pull a trailer with it. Truck didn't have a whole lot of extra power LOL.

AI Inc
01-17-2011, 11:34 AM
I have an 08 and its rated at 23 empty. Pulling a trailer it probably will not get much better then what your getting now , and die a lot quicker.

jaybow
01-17-2011, 11:35 AM
I think you would need a 6 cylinder at a minimum. I pulled my 6.5 x 12 for a while with a 4x4 ranger. It was a v6 manual shift. The brakes are a weak spot. The trailer kinda looked like a big fish ready to swallow a little fish lol...
Posted via Mobile Device

BINKY1902
01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I have a 99' 2.4 liter Nissan auto, and get about 26mpg hwy without trailer and 22mpg hwy with trailer. I pull a 5x12 with ZTR, 21", two trimmers and blower. I've put a cold air intake, throttle body spacer, header, flowmaster exhaust, and transmission cooler. I also upgraded the brakes. Pulls great. I got about 24 without trailer and 19 with trailer before the upgrades. Not really apples to apples though, because I think a stock Ranger is rated at 120hp and the Nissan about 143 stock.

Agape
01-17-2011, 05:59 PM
If gas gets too high I'll probably get a small truck for weekly maint./ estimates, and just pitchfork it into my dump at end of day and use dump for 1X cleanups.
very interested to know what you come up with.

elitefox
01-17-2011, 05:59 PM
A 4cyl RANGER?????? Wow, forget the trailer just throw ur bent shaft and push mowers in the truck bed.. Who needs a professional image these days anyway???:dizzy:

dKoester
01-17-2011, 06:05 PM
Rear differential is gonna let you know.

shepoutside
01-17-2011, 06:06 PM
WOW, guess my 4 rangers with mow decks, Logos, don't meet someones "professional" image? :rolleyes:

jaybow
01-17-2011, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't use a 4 cylinder. I think the 6 cylinder 4.0 liter was as small as I would go. And the one I used briefly was a 4x4 STX, and I believe the suspension was probably a little beefier then a 2 wheel drive.

Agape
01-17-2011, 06:09 PM
WOW, guess my 4 rangers with mow decks, Logos, don't meet someones "professional" image? :rolleyes:

exactly what I was thinking show us a pic. of your rigs. I was thinking company colors and lettering would still look sharp.

BINKY1902
01-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Just looked it up, a Ford Ranger towing capacity for a 4cyl 5 speed is around 1,500 lbs, that's pretty low. A Nissan Frontier 4 cyl 5 speed is rated at 3,500 lbs. I didn't know it was that much of a difference. If you go the 4 cyl route I'd look at Toyotas or Nissans. They are much higher in price though than the Rangers and S10's.

soloscaperman
01-17-2011, 06:57 PM
If all your clients live down hill go for it. Up here where I live there are hills everywhere and sharp turns so you need something that has torque and good braking.

StihlBR600
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
I have a 2000 ext. cab ranger 3.0L. I pulled my 5x10 loaded all last summer. I took it to the local weigh station and my trailer loaded weighed 2,350 pounds. It doesnt have a problem pulling it. I just upgraded to a 6.5 x 14 all aluminum that weighs 1,440 lbs. 3,400 lbs fulling loaded with all of my equipment. Now thats a different story lol The ranger is up for sale if anyones interested!!!

GreenI.A.
01-17-2011, 07:35 PM
I have a 2000 ext. cab ranger 3.0L. I pulled my 5x10 loaded all last summer. I took it to the local weigh station and my trailer loaded weighed 2,350 pounds. It doesnt have a problem pulling it. I just upgraded to a 6.5 x 14 all aluminum that weighs 1,440 lbs. 3,400 lbs fulling loaded with all of my equipment. Now thats a different story lol The ranger is up for sale if anyones interested!!!

There's a reason why manufacturers put out weight ratings. Yes the truck feels like it can pull more just fine but you are shortenning the life of just about every component of the drivetrain and rear suspension.

StihlBR600
01-17-2011, 07:39 PM
I understand i will be shortening the life of my truck that is why im searching for an F-150 before spring time

knox gsl
01-17-2011, 07:57 PM
There is a company here in town that has a fleet of 2wd Tacomas pulling 6x12 open trailers everyday. These are route trucks but they also have some f550s dumps for clean ups and landscape installs. They seem to do well with the little Toyotas.

BINKY1902
01-17-2011, 08:50 PM
That's about what I do. I use the 4cyl Nissan for everyday mowing, then use my Chevy 1-ton dually for big towing jobs, like mulch or lots of debris. Works out great for me. I couldn't imagine using the dually every day though, cause it gets 10mpg on a good day.

Dnryan
01-17-2011, 10:31 PM
i have an 07' v6 4.0l ranger pulling a 6x12 enclosed trailer and it pulls fine up some pretty steep hills but for me there is no way i would ever go with a smaller engine than the 4.0l. Oh, and right now with a little bigger tires 245 70r16 i get only 10-12mpg with trailer on or off highway. The enclosed trailer just acts like a freakin sail catching all the wind. No problems with getting up to speed but man it kills the mpg. If i could afford a bigger truck it would be the first thing i would do.

bradseabridge
01-17-2011, 10:42 PM
I pulled a 6x8 trailer with a 90 2.3l 5 speed. for two entire summers with a walkbehind, all my handhelds a push and gas. During the winter I put 4 foot walls on it and pack it to the brim with leaves from the loader. The truck did great best engine I have ever owned. I have owned 2 trucks with the exact same set up and I love it. Wish I would have kept it when I bought my f-150 the mileage was amazing I was getting 22 easy with it 19 with a trailer. I also had a 99 with the 3.0 that truck/engine combo was the biggest POS I have ever owned. T-bar suspension, 7.7in diff with 3.75 gear ratio, no thanks. I'll take a 2.3 5 speed anyday. The original 2.3 that was in the early 80's early 90's was a beefed up rally engine, converted to a consumer engine but still get the block and heavy internals. Bad Ass little truck I can't say enough about it.

verygreen
01-20-2011, 02:58 PM
I would use my Hombre 4 cyl. 5sp. for the around town chem route. I used this for 5 years. 20mpg, easy to maneuver. Most clients appreciated me appearing to be frugal. They didn't know about the boat, camper, atv...
I laughed all the way to the bank with this setup

knox gsl
01-20-2011, 03:17 PM
I would use my Hombre 4 cyl. 5sp. for the around town chem route. I used this for 5 years. 20mpg, easy to maneuver. Most clients appreciated me appearing to be frugal. They didn't know about the boat, camper, atv...

I like the way you think on the truck, no need to let the customer think they could save a few bucks by getting the next guy that has a plain work truck and not the big fancy F250 with chrome wheels. I would rather my work truck be just that a work truck and then be able to have a nicer car for my personal vehical that's not always dirty or covered in grass.

Deori
01-20-2011, 03:30 PM
+1 on keeping the image humble. For some reason it pisses people off if their lawn guy is driving a nicer vehicle to work than they are, lol. It shouldn't affect things IMO, but I guess they don't feel bad about dropping you if you're driving a 50K truck to mow lawns with.

verygreen
01-20-2011, 04:47 PM
I have since retired, I made good money for many years. The lawns I serviced were among the finest in our area.
In this industry, green always looks better than chrome

Agape
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
+1 on keeping the image humble. For some reason it pisses people off if their lawn guy is driving a nicer vehicle to work than they are, lol. It shouldn't affect things IMO, but I guess they don't feel bad about dropping you if you're driving a 50K truck to mow lawns with.

yeah, you may as well pull up in a ferrari to give an estimate.most of the complaints I hear from people about their last company are sometimes followed by; "...and he drives around a ($xxK) Truck!!"

(It'll be a bit awkward if I ever get a new truck, I'll have to tell em I got it from a police impound or something lol)

knox gsl
01-20-2011, 07:49 PM
yeah, you may as well pull up in a ferrari to give an estimate.most of the complaints I hear from people about their last company are sometimes followed by; "...and he drives around a ($xxK) Truck!!"

(It'll be a bit awkward if I ever get a new truck, I'll have to tell em I got it from a police impound or something lol)

Most people wouldn't really think to much of a new work truck as they would over a new truck with chrome trim, leather seats, lift kit and chrome wheels. If I hired someone to come to my home to do a service I would think I was overpaying if someone showed up in a decked out pickup even if they were in line with the current market.

cleankutlawnmaintenance
01-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Im not going to lie, I just broke down and bought me one of them jacked up trucks with chrome wheels. haha. Not too fancy. 2004 F150 Lariat with a lift and chrome wheels with oversized nittos. It stands out, but does not look over the top.

Couldnt take it anymore.....i pulled a trailer with a suv until i blew the engine on it!!!!:cool2: ......after that, there was no middle of the road truck for me. Had to get one I had been wanting for many years!!.......

Wish I had the boat, atv, and camper though. Havent been that lucky though. Just lucky enough to get the bills paid and have a woman that will cook dinner for me everynight! Cant complain! haha.

GreenI.A.
01-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Im not going to lie, I just broke down and bought me one of them jacked up trucks with chrome wheels. haha. Not too fancy. 2004 F150 Lariat with a lift and chrome wheels with oversized nittos. It stands out, but does not look over the top.

Couldnt take it anymore.....i pulled a trailer with a suv until i blew the engine on it!!!!:cool2: ......after that, there was no middle of the road truck for me. Had to get one I had been wanting for many years!!.......

Wish I had the boat, atv, and camper though. Havent been that lucky though. Just lucky enough to get the bills paid and have a woman that will cook dinner for me everynight! Cant complain! haha.

I think the truck image all comes down to the markets you are targetting. I see the pics many people post and soe of my customers would not want there neighbors seeing your truck parked out front or pulling into there service driveway. Nothing against you guys dont take me wrong, the homeowners I deal with are the stuck up a$$ holes.

by the way I have been strongly considering the new 3500 HD Denali pickups

Deori
01-24-2011, 08:41 PM
The other issue that no one seems to have brought up is the fact that you have to factor in the initial cost of the truck along with the added insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc. I know that in some places in the country you don't pay much for insurance, but out here in sue happy, high liability Vegas, I'm paying over $100/month per truck for good insurance.

Granted, you could probably get a 90s Ranger for a few grand at most, but all those additional expenses to probably only get a few extra mpgs at most, I think the Ranger would die on your before you manage to break even on fuel savings. Unless you really need a second truck, I think I'd drive that much more capable Duramax a long time before picking up a Ranger. Just something to consider.

fastcat
01-24-2011, 09:40 PM
i have also thought about putting a programmer on the duramax to help with mpg's.

bigstumpyd
02-01-2011, 06:23 PM
I got in a jam once and I had my 61' Bobcat go down and had to have it go to the shop for a part. My lil bro picked it up at the job in his 4cyl 4x4 ranger and my 6x10 tilt bed and that was it. About a 10 mile drive and he said he got into 4th gear 2 times lil bit rough on the truck. My two trucks were out on jobs!

Rhoads_TURF
11-05-2013, 09:36 PM
I started my business with a 1997 Ford Ranger. Mowing residential lawns out of the back of it. With a 500 dollar 21" Honda push mower, Sthl weeder, and handheld blower. Did 20 lawns a week, my first year in the business. Worked out pretty good outta the back of a ranger starting out. Thinking about going back to Rangers with custom flat beds with 48 inch walk behind ? What do u guys think?

unkownfl
11-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Get an auto ranger 01+ with the 2.3 and you will net around 20mpg around town pulling a small trailer. I have an 01 w/5spd manual. It pulls fine but it's hard on the clutch and hard to pull off going up hills. The auto has the same transmission as the v6 and the horsepower isn't much of a difference maybe 15 if I remember right. I have pulled my 20ft CC Shamrock full keel inboard with the ranger without issues but it won't pull it up a ramp without 4k rpm slipping the clutch on purpose. In 01 they went to a DOHC (duratec) 2.3 engine which is a mazda engine. It is a lot more reliable than the older 2.3 and has a timing chain too.