PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Finding the Trailer VIN

HAS0586
01-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi all,

I am having trouble finding a VIN number on my trailer and I was wondering of somebody could give me some advice.

I have had this trailer for four years and used it very little. When I needed to haul something with it, I just attached the plates from my other trailer. Now I am thinking about using it more for my lawn service and without the VIN, I am not sure how to go about getting plates for it. I was told it is a Forest River trailer, although I have no way of knowing for sure (bought it secondhand).

I have looked everywhere for a stamped number, even turning the trailer on it's side and looking underneath.

So how would y'all go about getting this thing registered? I live in Texas.

Thanks!

Hunter

minitrk
01-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Register it in Maine...HOW TO (http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/howto)

HAS0586
01-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Register it in Maine...HOW TO (http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/howto)

Thanks for the link! It looks like I would still need the title or vin number to register it, so I sent them an email to make sure. I only have a simple bill of sale so I might be out of luck. :(

Also thinking about registering it as a home-built trailer in texas. Researching that right now. Maybe it was built that way! I have no idea if it was or wasn't. hmmm....

- Hunter

GravelyGuy
01-18-2011, 05:01 PM
I bought a farm trailer one time that had no vin #. They have a form at the BMV to apply for a vin #. Once they sent the new number I had to have a metal plate made that I riveted onto the trailer and then I had to have a sheriff come to my house to inspect the plate was installed. Kind of a pain, you may have to though.

gasracer
01-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Look on top of the axle or under your decking.I got a tag with my title.

HAS0586
01-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Look on top of the axle or under your decking.I got a tag with my title.

Already looked there, but I will try again! :)

Thanks for the suggestion GravelyGuy, I will call the Texas DMV and see if they can do the same thing.

SouthSide Cutter
01-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Most have tags on them. But I think about every trailer also has them stamped some where like the right rear corner of the trailer on the frame.

GravelyNut
01-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Also check on the tongue. Ours is on the right inside of it. In weld buildup.