PDA

View Full Version : Phazer vs 34z

Wecutgrass
01-18-2011, 12:31 AM
i am looking at these two mowers right now and i dont no what one to buy. the exmark phazer has a 19 kaw, and the gravely 34z has a 15 kaw. what one would be a better machine? thanks for any input.

BINKY1902
01-18-2011, 01:57 AM
I don't think they're making the Phazer any more. The 34Z is a great mower from what I hear. I have a 152z.

Wecutgrass
01-18-2011, 10:38 AM
ya I want to use a mower still in production. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

cvcook
01-20-2011, 05:27 PM
They are not in production anymore, they're not even on Exmark's website.I've got one and was going to buy another this year, but my dealer told me they are discontinued due to not enough sales. I did my own research by calling numerous dealers. they all said the same thing, and the only ones you will find new are last years models. my buddy was lucky enough to find one a dealer that had one left over that was a demo with 30hrs about 120 miles away.

hackitdown
01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
I bought a used 34Z this summer. I have it set up for mulching, which works well. For the most part, it is a cool machine, but it is terrible on hills. No traction except straight up a hill.

Wecutgrass
01-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Well I don't have to worry about the hills because in new Orleans there is no such thing as a hill. And I'm going buy the wider tires to help it from rutting.
Posted via Mobile Device

orlawncaresvc
01-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Like binky said, they are not making the phazer any more. It's a shame that they are not. It's a really good mower. We own one. Got it back in 08. It has the Kawasaki 19 hp. If you can still find one at a dealer I recommend you grab it. When we were first looking at the phazer before we purchased we were thinking that a 19 hp engine for a mower that small was too powerful. But we took into consideration about the riders weight. The machine itself weighs around 587 lbs. And plus the rider. So the 19 kawi is perfect for it. And it cuts very well. Bags awesome and has plenty of power to mulch. The mulching job this machine can perform is unbelievable. We recommend you go with the phazer. You won't be sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device

fobaum
01-20-2011, 11:00 PM
phazer best 34'' rider hands down..

a clear difference lawn
01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
phazer best 34'' rider hands down..

I have to repectfully disagree. The phazer has transaxles while the gravely has a heavy duty pump and motor hydro system that has a higher top speed and much more acceleration than the phazer. The zt 2800 transaxles that the phazer has are used by many manufacturers in ther homeowner models. The gravely has a deeper deck which allows for higher mow speeds. The gravely has bigger rims which will accommodate wider tires. I have 20x10x10's on both my gravelys and they stick to hills like glue. Having tired both mowers, in my opinion its not even close. The gravely is a superior machine - hands down

fatboynormmie
01-21-2011, 01:35 AM
I have to repectfully disagree. The phazer has transaxles while the gravely has a heavy duty pump and motor hydro system that has a higher top speed and much more acceleration than the phazer. The zt 2800 transaxles that the phazer has are used by many manufacturers in ther homeowner models. The gravely has a deeper deck which allows for higher mow speeds. The gravely has bigger rims which will accommodate wider tires. I have 20x10x10's on both my gravelys and they stick to hills like glue. Having tired both mowers, in my opinion its not even close. The gravely is a superior machine - hands down

I totally agree the 34z is superior .The 20x10x10 tires made a ton of difference in rutting and hill sticking along with a better ride.Thanks( a clear difference) for all your posts on the tire upgrades.There's a reason why the 34z weighs 200 lbs more then the phazer its just better built .Everything on the 34z is commercial quality.

fobaum
01-21-2011, 09:56 AM
I also put bigger tires and rims on my phazer, no rutting what so ever, the phazer has a 5'' deep deck, plus the 19hp kawi got alot of power=faster mowing speeds trust me used both machines ,almost 37 ft lb of torque, mines pretty fast, after i adjusted the lever stoppers.
That being said when i need a new 34'' rider if i can't get a phazer i will get a 34z it is a great machine!

lukespapa
01-28-2011, 06:22 PM
I talked with an Exmark dealer today about the Phazer. I told him that I assumed this unit is no longer made because it is no longer on their website. He said he asked the Exmark rep about this very thing yesterday, and was assured that they are still being made. Something about a glitch in the company doing their website? I don't know what to think. I will do some more digging because 2 of my neighbors have this unit and I think it is a well built machine. I plan on buying one.

I will post again if I find out more info.

Wecutgrass
01-28-2011, 06:33 PM
hmm that's strange why wouldn't they fix it faster?
Posted via Mobile Device

lukespapa
01-28-2011, 06:44 PM
hmm that's strange why wouldn't they fix it faster?
Posted via Mobile Device

BTW, I looked on the Gravely site for the 34z, and all I found is the 'Compact Pro-34'. I assume this is the same machine? I will go and look at one of these as well. Do you have any idea of the price on this one?

Wecutgrass
01-28-2011, 07:04 PM
yes that is the same thing. They offer the 17 kaw on them. Other then that there the same machine and cost 5,000
Posted via Mobile Device

a clear difference lawn
01-28-2011, 07:16 PM
The compact pro 34 is the exact same machine as the 34z except for the seat, paint scheme and engine. The compact pro comes with a 16hp fx series kawasaki engine (which has a remote air filter) while the 34z has a fh series kawasaki 15hp on the older ones and 17hp from around 2007 on. You should beable to get a new compact pro 34 for around $5100 to $5300. http://www.wisesales.com/gravely_991071.html

Wecutgrass
01-28-2011, 07:33 PM
ya he said it a little bit better
Posted via Mobile Device

lukespapa
01-28-2011, 08:06 PM
The compact pro 34 is the exact same machine as the 34z except for the seat, paint scheme and engine. The compact pro comes with a 16hp fx series kawasaki engine (which has a remote air filter) while the 34z has a fh series kawasaki 15hp on the older ones and 17hp from around 2007 on. You should beable to get a new compact pro 34 for around $5100 to $5300. http://www.wisesales.com/gravely_991071.html

Thanks for this. I see you own a Compact Pro 34. It looks like a really well built machine. A question: would any of you consider ordering something like this online, and not from a local dealer? I am new to this, so please bear with me.

a clear difference lawn
01-28-2011, 10:08 PM
I would suggest going with a reputable gravely dealer who is capable of doing any warranty repair which may arise. I have found that it is very helpful to form a good relationship with a dealer.

lukespapa
01-29-2011, 08:42 AM
ya he said it a little bit better
Posted via Mobile Device

I see you are in the same area as me. I meant to ask you which of the local Gravely and or Exmark dealers have you talked to? The closest Gravely is GEECKs Lawnmower Repair on Jeff Hwy. Know anything about them? The Exmark guy is Bob's in Metairie, but he is not even open on Fridays or Saturdays. Any info would be appreciated.

Exmark PR
02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I talked with an Exmark dealer today about the Phazer. I told him that I assumed this unit is no longer made because it is no longer on their website. He said he asked the Exmark rep about this very thing yesterday, and was assured that they are still being made. Something about a glitch in the company doing their website? I don't know what to think. I will do some more digging because 2 of my neighbors have this unit and I think it is a well built machine. I plan on buying one.

I will post again if I find out more info.

Thank you for the inquiry. As an Exmark representative, I apologize for you being misinformed. We are no longer producing Phazer product. While these units are no longer available, we have many additional products that could meet your needs. Visit www.exmark.com for an accurate representation of products that we are currently producing. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

cvcook
02-01-2011, 11:22 PM
I too wished they were still available, I'm probably gonna replace my mine with a 34"gravely

Jay Ray
02-02-2011, 12:49 AM
The zt2800's are serviceable, much better than the ezt common in the big box. For as lightweight as the Phazer is, the zt2800's work fine for me anyway.

Oh yeah, the Phazer is narrow and it isn't fun to do the service:laugh: