PDA

View Full Version : dot numbers

phillie
01-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Hey guys. Im sure this has probobly been beat to death but I have searched and searched and cant find the answer. Do I need DOT numbers? The truck is an 03 f250, I'll be carrying on a daily basis a 200gal space saver 500 lbs of fert, a push spreader and a backpack. If I do is it strictly just the weight or is it because of the chemicals. Last year was my first year and I didnt get them because I am pretty low key and you cant really tell I weigh that much. I might as well take care of it if I need to I just dont need a fine. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

DaytonBioLawns
01-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Hey guys. Im sure this has probobly been beat to death but I have searched and searched and cant find the answer. Do I need DOT numbers? The truck is an 03 f250, I'll be carrying on a daily basis a 200gal space saver 500 lbs of fert, a push spreader and a backpack. If I do is it strictly just the weight or is it because of the chemicals. Last year was my first year and I didnt get them because I am pretty low key and you cant really tell I weigh that much. I might as well take care of it if I need to I just dont need a fine. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Get commercial tags, insurance, and DOT #'s on your vehicle...along with any other state/local regs.

I know you MAY not need it.... but the laws on DOT are so open to different translations that it is better to have it than be put out of business by unexpected tickets from a po'ed DOT official. Better safe than sorry. Inquire with your local DMV about how to get the number if you do not know. Be specific.

good luck :)

MDLawn
01-18-2011, 08:45 AM
In NYS you need a DOT# for over 10K which is truck or truck and trailer combo. My F250 has a GVWR of 9400lbs so no tags needed. Hook up a trailer to it and its over 10K and needs tags. It goes by GVWR or GCWR not the actual weight of the vehicle or trailer. This is NY but it may be more of a FED thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

phillie
01-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Get commercial tags, insurance, and DOT #'s on your vehicle...along with any other state/local regs.

I know you MAY not need it.... but the laws on DOT are so open to different translations that it is better to have it than be put out of business by unexpected tickets from a po'ed DOT official. Better safe than sorry. Inquire with your local DMV about how to get the number if you do not know. Be specific.

good luck :)

This is true. Everything else is legit except for the numbers. I might as well I guess. I have seen places on the web offering them for $40, I wonder how legit these are. Also thanks mdlawn, Im sure I wont come close to 10k but it is better safe than sorry. Dont you guys just love being nickeled and dimed by our gov. I can see why so many operate illegally..Thats not for me though. Thanks again

MDLawn
01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
DOT# is free, you have to pay to get it put on your vehicle as in letter, magnetic sign, etc..

www.FMCSA.dot.gov

outlaw1960
01-21-2011, 11:55 AM
DOT# is free, you have to pay to get it put on your vehicle as in letter, magnetic sign, etc..

www.FMCSA.dot.gov

Yep, DOT's are free..........If you have patience you can put them on yourself.

phillie
01-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks guys that helps. I'll put them on myself. I put my own lettering on my truck, I have a hard time trusting people to do things correctly so I do alot on my own. haha