PDA

View Full Version : Check this out!

menges21
01-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Everyone on here likes to complain about lowballers well looks like Rhode Island may be doing something to help with the problem. Check this article out that says Rhode Island may make it required for all landscape companies to be registered and carry $100,000 liability insurance. What I found most disturbing is the peoples comments to the article where they think every landscaper is someone cutting grass for $20 people get with it were real business' as well.

menges21
01-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Heres the link to the article:

http://www.projo.com/news/content/LANDSCAPERS_01-17-11_TQLURM1_v68.34dd96.html

Patriot Services
01-18-2011, 10:56 AM
As usual they have it half right. Forcing lco's to register and carry insurance is an outstanding idea. 100k is too low. Most insurance companies won't write a policy that low. Hopefully some homeowners wake up and realize the liability they assume when hiring scrubs. The problem comes with the verbage of the bill. There is a huge difference between a landscaper and a landscape design architect. The congressman needs to do some more homework and talk to more business owners at the smaller end of the spectrum.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
01-18-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't think it will make a darn bit of difference.That's the rules here and nobody follows them. Where are the people that are suppose to be enforcing them?

Patriot Services
01-18-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't think it will make a darn bit of difference.That's the rules here and nobody follows them. Where are the people that are suppose to be enforcing them?

We're talking Rhode Island here. The 3 state troopers they have should be more than enough. It would a good test bed to see if it is physically enforceable.
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
01-18-2011, 11:25 AM
I just can't get too excited about it, here in Indiana its a law you have auto insurance, guess what a lot don't, and nothing happens unless that person gets in an accident.

Lefet
01-18-2011, 11:37 AM
We're talking Rhode Island here. The 3 state troopers they have should be more than enough. It would a good test bed to see if it is physically enforceable.
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Patriot Services
01-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Now if they made it enforceable by Florida DOT here that might work. Personal experience shows they are very thorough in their current inspections.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
01-18-2011, 11:49 AM
lol, it's funny that people think that they're attacking children and cute little retired men on their riding mowers in their own neighborhood.
The reality is that $50 a month of insurance really isn't much, I got plenty of scrubs here that have it, you don't have to do anything special to get it. I had to do a credit check but I have a very low credit score and I got it- I don't know what registering would do and who would enforce it.

I have operated several years without ever having a liability claim, nothing ever happened to require a claim, and that's why customers don't care if you have it. There are no horror stories to make them say "Crap!, I'd better get someone with insurance so that doesn't happen to me!!"

maybe someone should litter the uninsured's accounts with rocks and bits of metal lol.
Otherwise, the public will not realize a need.

Agape
01-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Now if they made it enforceable by Florida DOT here that might work. Personal experience shows they are very thorough in their current inspections.
Posted via Mobile Device

That would both create jobs, and protect jobs but $50/month insurance ain't crap.

Patriot Services
01-18-2011, 11:52 AM
lol, it's funny that people think that they're attacking children and cute little retired men on their riding mowers in their own neighborhood.
The reality is that $50 a month of insurance really isn't much, I got plenty of scrubs here that have it, you don't have to do anything special to get it. I had to do a credit check but I have a very low credit score and I got it- I don't know what registering would do and who would enforce it.

I have operated several years without ever having a liability claim, nothing ever happened to require a claim, and that's why customers don't care if you have it. There are no horror stories to make them say "Crap!, I'd better get someone with insurance so that doesn't happen to me!!"

maybe someone should litter the uninsured's accounts with rocks and bits of metal lol.
Otherwise, the public will not realize a need.

Scrubs usually do litter. Bits of metal fall off their trucks and mowers. Rocks come from the baggie and business card droppers. No shortage of scrapnel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
01-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Scrubs usually do litter. Bits of metal fall off their trucks and mowers. Rocks come from the baggie and business card droppers. No shortage of scrapnel.
Posted via Mobile Device

as long as some of the parts fit my truck lol

lawnpro724
01-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Almost every state in this country is broke or on its way there. Every state in this country is looking for a way to increase revenue and if they can regulate this industry more and profit from it you can bet they will. In this state you have to have a permit, license and insurance for everything you do. There are rules and regulations for everything and if they could find more you better bet they will. I'm personally not for more regulations. I let all my customers and future clients know that I'm insured and licensed to do the work we do, its a selling point for me.

The government has its nose in to many places now and I don't want more. Those of you who think more regulation in this industry is a good thing better be careful what you wish for. One day they may regulate us all out of business. Think about it ( Noise pollution, gas guzzling trucks, nature lovers who think trimming a tree or shrub is a crime and so on) .

They may not put us out of business but how would if affect your business if the regulated the time of day you could work and for how long? What if you had to have a permit for each kind of equipment your using?

We have an oppressive government that thinks it can keep taxing, spending and regulating at our expense while they continue to ignore the rules and regulations they expect the rest of us to live by. They continue to live high on the hog with not a care in the world about the rest of us.

bladesnshades
01-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Almost every state in this country is broke or on its way there. Every state in this country is looking for a way to increase revenue and if they can regulate this industry more and profit from it you can bet they will. In this state you have to have a permit, license and insurance for everything you do. There are rules and regulations for everything and if they could find more you better bet they will. I'm personally not for more regulations. I let all my customers and future clients know that I'm insured and licensed to do the work we do, its a selling point for me.

The government has its nose in to many places now and I don't want more. Those of you who think more regulation in this industry is a good thing better be careful what you wish for. One day they may regulate us all out of business. Think about it ( Noise pollution, gas guzzling trucks, nature lovers who think trimming a tree or shrub is a crime and so on) .

They may not put us out of business but how would if affect your business if the regulated the time of day you could work and for how long? What if you had to have a permit for each kind of equipment your using?

We have an oppressive government that thinks it can keep taxing, spending and regulating at our expense while they continue to ignore the rules and regulations they expect the rest of us to live by. They continue to live high on the hog with not a care in the world about the rest of us.

Ditto Lawnpro, you on the ballot in 012? You've got my vote!:clapping:

sweetz
01-28-2011, 02:41 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Just curious, what inspections are you talking of? Not any that happen in St. Pete. I can't really think of 1 accident that I've had where the person has had insurance.

sweetz
01-28-2011, 02:43 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll agree with this.:laugh:

Roger
01-28-2011, 09:33 AM
There is a disconnect in the statements made by the politician. He wants everybody to register, pay a fee, and provide proof of insurance. Then he goes on to say the reason why he is making this proposal: Income is reported.

Just because somebody registers, pays a fee, and provides proof of insurance has nothing to do with reporting income. His proposal is wanting to be sure the tax revenues are collected, but his method does not reach that end.

As stated in several posts above, how to enforce? Many states have requirements for pesticide licenses in order to do applications of chemicals. Who is out in the field enforcing this requirement? Rarely is anybody snagged as being out of compliance.

This is grandstanding, with nothing good coming except one more government worker to maintain a data base and collect fees.

Dogbonz
01-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Where are the people that are suppose to be enforcing them?

They were cut in the last round of budget cuts,,, by your local government that are overpaid with union protection. Mr Christie will being firing more soon! :usflag: :clapping:

Texas Lawn
01-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Regulations dont matter. Here in Texas, most of the laws are a joke to most as it is not heavily enforced. Most the time all they are doing is making more laws for people to ignore. Its nice that you pass it, but how are you going to enforce it.

I think its a sad day when "I follow the rules, and I am a legitimate business," is a selling point.

GreenI.A.
01-28-2011, 02:43 PM
I just can't get too excited about it, here in Indiana its a law you have auto insurance, guess what a lot don't, and nothing happens unless that person gets in an accident.

Thats why alot of states are switching to how MA does it. You need to show proof of insurance when registering a vehicle, you can't cancel your insurance unless you have proof you have already turned in the plates, and if you insurance is suspended/cancelled by the insurance comapny they notify the RMV who also suspends your regisration. This makes it so that you can not have a registered vehicle w/o liability insurance, so if you get pulled over for any reason you can be arrested for operating unisured and non registered.

i see this being more of a joke in RI and they would f**k it up some how. A few years ago they passed a law that you needed to be liceansed and pass an exam to install irrigation, but there was a loop hole that grandfathered all liceansed plumbers giving them the liceanse with there plumbing licease. now you actually have plumbers who advertise irrigation in RI because they think its te sae as running pipe in the house

delphied
01-28-2011, 03:05 PM
I think the government should keep their nose out of lawn care business. We have too much government and this is just another money grab by a bunch of good for nothing democrats.

sweetz
01-28-2011, 03:52 PM
You need to show proof of insurance when registering a vehicle, you can't cancel your insurance unless you have proof you have already turned in the plates, and if you insurance is suspended/cancelled by the insurance comapny they notify the RMV who also suspends your regisration. This makes it so that you can not have a registered vehicle w/o liability insurance, so if you get pulled over for any reason you can be arrested for operating unisured and non registered.

That's how they do it here too, do you think that has changed ANYTHING. I think it's been that way for a while here too, I could be wrong about that though. Just means that people pay one payment towards their ins, then register their car, then cancel their ins. The they just auto renew by mail every year. Even if they get put in jail every 5 years, it's probably cheaper than paying for ins for those 5 yrs. I don't know, I'm just talking.

Patriot Services
01-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Just curious, what inspections are you talking of? Not any that happen in St. Pete. I can't really think of 1 accident that I've had where the person has had insurance.

FDOT pulled me over a few months ago. He was sitting by the toll booth at Anderson road. Followed me into the Radiant station and proceeds to give me a commercial vehicle inspection. Even broke out the scales. I asked why me and his response was "because I can". Wasted half an hour and he couldn't find shizz which I think made him madder. Yet everyday I see unlighted, fenderless shizzboxes rolling along.
Posted via Mobile Device

sweetz
01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Yet everyday I see unlighted, fenderless shizzboxes rolling along.

Me too my friend.

sdk1959
01-29-2011, 12:19 AM
The problem with bills like this requiring registration with the state is they should let you register in your 2nd year of business, not the first. Nailing a start-up LCO with fees right from the get-go is a bad anti-business policy. Let a business get some revenue coming in and established first for crying out loud.:dizzy:

They would have a lot more compliance with registration if they did.

GreenI.A.
01-29-2011, 12:23 AM
The problem with bills like this requiring registration with the state is they should let you register in your 2nd year of business, not the first. Nailing a start-up LCO with fees right from the get-go is a bad anti-business policy. Let a business get some revenue coming in and established first for crying out loud.:dizzy:

They would have a lot more compliance with registration if they did.

right but where do they draw the line? should start ups have an extra year with out needing insurance aswell? Where not talking about insane amounts of money here, if you are starting up you should have some money saved to cover months worth of overhead incase business desn't take off. another couple hundred in liceanses shouldn't be breaking tthe bank

sweetz
01-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Ahhhh, I'm against all forms of gov't anything. We shouldn't have taxes or ins on ANYTHING!!! Lets revolt & run around the city naked!:hammerhead::laugh:

Richard Martin
01-29-2011, 04:31 AM
I can't really think of 1 accident that I've had where the person has had insurance.

You get into a lot of accidents do you?

bc3xx0
01-29-2011, 05:53 AM
Why does everyone on here get so butthurt about other guys not having insurance.

If I get in an accident, I'm covered. If Joe Schmoe up the street gets in an accident, I don't give two shits if he's covered or not.......... hell, I might even pick up his account after they fire him!!

This is the same with lowballers!! If you guys can't compete, then its time to pack it up or rethink your business plan! People complain if the company is too big and can afford to undercut the little guy. People complain if the company is a lowballer and undercut the big guy!!!!

I say STFU and worry about your own asses.

sdk1959
01-29-2011, 06:23 AM
right but where do they draw the line? should start ups have an extra year with out needing insurance aswell? Where not talking about insane amounts of money here, if you are starting up you should have some money saved to cover months worth of overhead incase business desn't take off. another couple hundred in licenses shouldn't be breaking tthe bank

They can have it so a new LCO registers and sends in proof of insurance but doesn't pay a fee and has to register the following year IF still in business. Also no local taxes the first year too. If local governments can give a big business like Walmart a tax break for 5 years they certainly can give to a small business for 1 year.

The problem with getting fees and requiring taxes your first year is once your in their system even if your not in business any more they will still hound you for fees and taxes. Case in point- About 15 years ago I had a lot of items to sell from myself and some items from family members. There was a local flea market that required a sales tax number to sell there. So I get the number from the state, sell there for 3 weekends, collect the tax, send in the quarterly return with the taxes. They still wanted a quarterly return, had to call them several times to tell them I was NOT a business just selling some personal items, then my local township started sending me letters saying I had to register the "business" and start paying taxes. Had to call them several times and even threaten to get a lawyer involved if they persisted.

A lot of guys will find out landscaping lawn care isn't for them the first year. Too much red tape to cut if your treated like a established business right from the get go. Too much government is not a good thing.

sweetz
01-29-2011, 03:41 PM
You get into a lot of accidents do you?

Little fender benders, ya. major city rush hour + no one even considering or seeing that you're towing a trailer + road rage of others + a dwindling number of street cops because of the current economy = a few problems

sweetz
01-29-2011, 03:44 PM
They can have it so a new LCO registers and sends in proof of insurance but doesn't pay a fee and has to register the following year IF still in business. Also no local taxes the first year too. If local governments can give a big business like Walmart a tax break for 5 years they certainly can give to a small business for 1 year.

The problem with getting fees and requiring taxes your first year is once your in their system even if your not in business any more they will still hound you for fees and taxes. Case in point- About 15 years ago I had a lot of items to sell from myself and some items from family members. There was a local flea market that required a sales tax number to sell there. So I get the number from the state, sell there for 3 weekends, collect the tax, send in the quarterly return with the taxes. They still wanted a quarterly return, had to call them several times to tell them I was NOT a business just selling some personal items, then my local township started sending me letters saying I had to register the "business" and start paying taxes. Had to call them several times and even threaten to get a lawyer involved if they persisted.

A lot of guys will find out landscaping lawn care isn't for them the first year. Too much red tape to cut if your treated like a established business right from the get go. Too much government is not a good thing.

Good points.