PDA

View Full Version : temporary discharge blocker

grassmasterswilson
01-18-2011, 02:25 PM
I've got a couple of lawns that have narrow strips of grass between beds. I'm looking for something that I can block the discharge with just long enough to get through the strip. Something cheap and inexpensive! Don't have the need for a nice blocker, but may have no choice. How hard are they to install and what kind of results do you get cutting fescue, bermuda, or centipede? Are most of them interchangeable between mowers if the deck is the same size?

Roger
01-18-2011, 03:23 PM
You need more information if you expect responses. The major piece of information missing is the mower you are using. Other pieces of info that would be helpful is the extent of growth you are trying to control, the width of the strip, width of your mower, and what you do with clippings.

stonebridge
01-18-2011, 04:03 PM
for my walkbehind i just bought a rubber mudflap, and a door hing. cut two pieces of mudflap to size if chute opening, glue them together (i used pl400 construction caulk) and then get some small nuts and bolts and attach one side of hinge to flap and mount to deck where it is possible. i have done it on a ferris and everride walkbehinds they last about three years and you can make 4-5 sets out of a pair of semi mudflaps. cost about $30. or pay 400 for a power chute witch i also have, but they do the same thing.

Agape
01-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Small rectangular piece of plywood nailed to a stick- hold it in front of discharge costs $5(less $$ if scraps from construction site) best of luck!

Roger
01-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Small rectangular piece of plywood nailed to a stick- hold it in front of discharge costs $5(less $$ if scraps from construction site) best of luck!

Actually, I've used a square bladed shovel, with long handle to do a partial block on my ZTR. I can sit on the seat, handle the long handled shovel, getting it in place over the discharge chute when needed. The shovel, in reverse direction, just hangs over the end of the deflector, pointing the discharge to the ground. The shovel can rest on the deck between uses (e.g. moving across a yard, with periodic mulched tree circles). Obviously, this does not work very well for extended blocking needs.

I always have the shovel in the truck, so is never forgotten, always quickly available. My deck is 48", but a 60" deck may be too wide to reach with the shovel.

Bumpmaster
01-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Pick up one extra yard this spring and buy a power chute next spring and hope you do not ruin it on your first yard, and if not it might last for years.

elitefox
01-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Not the cheaper home made route but this blade blocker works amazing. I got one on my Scag WB and its easy to open/close. Works great for cleanups and keeping the grass off houses

http://www.trimmertrap.com/site/accessories/bb-1-wb-blade-blocker.html

jayjysmth
04-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Grassmaster, what did you ever decide to do? I have the same issue, although I am just a homeowner but have several beds that are very close together and I blow stuff everywhere. Just curious