PDA

View Full Version : Adding Top Soil

Slcareco
01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
How much would one charge to add 12,000 sqft worth of topsoil at a 6" depth??

grass4gas
01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
I love it when people ask a question, but don't give enough info to get responsible answer.

Is this a wide open lawn? Easy access? Do you have to wheelbarrow it to the area? Are there hills? Obstacles?

Provide us with some of these answers, so you can get an answer.

But to answer your question as posed...I don't have a clue.

Where is Frank Fescue? I'm sure he will give you right answer.:laugh:

Slcareco
01-18-2011, 02:46 PM
no hills, I would bob cat it. sorry for lack of info

fl-landscapes
01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
225 yards of topsoil.......holy crapola thats a lot of dirt to move.

Slcareco
01-18-2011, 03:43 PM
im saying lol its a 5 million dollar house with a 12000 sq ft oil and stone driveway they want removed and replaced with top soil. I feel like thats so much but arent the numbers right if its replacing a 4-6" depth?

Barefoot James
01-18-2011, 03:55 PM
225 yards of topsoil.......holy crapola thats a lot of dirt to move.
FL you are right on!
So about $4100 in materials alone - delivered. 7.2 Thirty yard trucks @ $16 a yard for good dirt.
Probably $600 for somebody with a CAT and Harley Rake - So all in about $4600 your cost to get it done right with good soil.

fl-landscapes
01-18-2011, 05:54 PM
FL you are right on!
So about $4100 in materials alone - delivered. 7.2 Thirty yard trucks @ $16 a yard for good dirt.
Probably $600 for somebody with a CAT and Harley Rake - So all in about $4600 your cost to get it done right with good soil.

and he is removing the same amount in dirt and oily gravel so double that and add in disposal of oily dirt and gravel, 12K? Total remove dirt and oily gravel and replace with top soil, grade......any seed or sod?

fl-landscapes
01-18-2011, 05:57 PM
im saying lol its a 5 million dollar house with a 12000 sq ft oil and stone driveway they want removed and replaced with top soil. I feel like thats so much but arent the numbers right if its replacing a 4-6" depth?

not sure I understand your question.........sub it out and mark it up.

Slcareco
01-18-2011, 06:09 PM
I am subbing it and marking it up but eventually want to tackle these kinds of jobs for myself so I'd like to get a grip on the pricing.

As simple as I can put it.....

Removal of 16,800sqft of oil and stone
Install and grade of 11,800 of top soil
Install of Seed

Theres more to the job but Im just wondering about this for now....

MikeT
01-20-2011, 01:35 PM
If my math is right, 12,000 sq. ft. of surface area translates into 1,000 cu. ft. or 37 cu. yds. of excavated debris. Add a forty cu. yd. dumpster to your estimate. Check with the hauler first for weight limits. You may need to use several smaller dumpsters or a couple of tri-axles and a loader. With 12,000 sq. ft. as an example, replace excavated material with enough soil to fill and tamp the new soil and feather additional soil out along the perimeters. 60 yds should do it, using the 12,000 sq. ft. example. This way you're less likely to leave a hump or depression. Try to match seed or sod with existing lawn grasses. If seeding, aerate and overseed new seed into existing lawn on both sides of old driveway so you don't have a clear delineation of grasses. If possible, try to match soil composition, as well. The goal is to not be able to tell where the old driveway was.

fl-landscapes
01-20-2011, 02:21 PM
How much would one charge to add 12,000 sqft worth of topsoil at a 6" depth??

at 6" deep your "math" is way off......it would be evcavating 0ver 225 yards as well as bringing back in the same amount of top soil. Moving almost 500 yards of material

fl-landscapes
01-20-2011, 02:24 PM
If my math is right, 12,000 sq. ft. of surface area translates into 1,000 cu. ft. or 37 cu. yds. of excavated debris. Add a forty cu. yd. dumpster to your estimate. Check with the hauler first for weight limits. You may need to use several smaller dumpsters or a couple of tri-axles and a loader. With 12,000 sq. ft. as an example, replace excavated material with enough soil to fill and tamp the new soil and feather additional soil out along the perimeters. 60 yds should do it, using the 12,000 sq. ft. example. This way you're less likely to leave a hump or depression. Try to match seed or sod with existing lawn grasses. If seeding, aerate and overseed new seed into existing lawn on both sides of old driveway so you don't have a clear delineation of grasses. If possible, try to match soil composition, as well. The goal is to not be able to tell where the old driveway was.

also new soil shouldnt be compacted so no need for aeration, aeration holes are too deep for seed germination also, slit seed or hydroseed after you bring in and grade your top soil

MikeT
01-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Oops, you're right, my math is off. I based that on excavating 12,000 sq. ft. to a 12", not 6" depth. Thanks!