PDA

View Full Version : Negotiations from sticker?

nlminc
01-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Okay, It's been a while since I haggled with a dealer. I usually buy used. I've checked out Dodge, Ford and GMC. So far I've been quoted prices in the 34k range. Basically sticker on a few were 33-34k One dodge crew cab 4x4 cummins was 41k.

Just wondering how far they generally will come off these sticker prices? I remember reading a thread here not so long ago and the buyer got 12k or so knocked off the sticker on an F250.

retrodog
01-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Around here the Dodges are going for $32000 to $35000 for a 4x4 cummins 2500 or 3500 4 door. Now that is not the lone star edition, leather seats or anything, The Fords and Chevy Diesels are both $40000 or over for some reason, a stripped down work truck Chevy might go for $37 or 38

NEUSWEDE
01-19-2011, 02:45 PM
I bought my 2010 F350 reg cab a year ago and had a connection at the dealer and was looking to earn my business so they gave me the rock bottom price and it was 10K off of the MSRP

nlminc
01-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks,
The Dodge dealer gave me his out the door price and that was sticker minus 3k rebate...add taxes and the rebate was voided out basically! Reg Cab 4x4 Cummins with work truck 8' bed, power windows/locks but none of the other gimmicks that are in the 50k trucks. 36k out the door....

Same truck in a Crew Cab for 40ish

I walked out. I'm closing on another home on Friday so I'm in no rush and can't do anything until I close anyway.

Waiting for the Ford dealership to come back with some prices also.

nlminc
01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks,
The Dodge dealer gave me his out the door price and that was sticker minus 3k rebate...add taxes and the rebate was voided out basically! Reg Cab 4x4 Cummins with work truck 8' bed, power windows/locks but none of the other gimmicks that are in the 50k trucks. 36k out the door....

Same truck in a Crew Cab for 40ish

I walked out. I'm closing on another home on Friday so I'm in no rush and can't do anything until I close anyway.

Waiting for the Ford dealership to come back with some prices also.

GravelyGuy
01-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I am about to give you the best advice I can for buying a new truck:) It has worked for me 3 times now.

Call a dealer of your choice and ask to talk to the sales manager, large volume dealers may be best. Ask them, "Dealership XYZ across town is willing to sell me a truck at invoice, can you do any better than that?"

It is a YES or a NO question.

Anything under invoice + rebates is a fair deal. If MSRP is 50K and invoice is 40K + 3K rebate, you get it for 37K. Rebates are yours, don't let them tell you otherwise.

To look up invoice pricing you can go to edmunds.com and configure the truck how you want it. Edmunds.com invoice pricing is accurate except sometimes they do not include the destination charges (normally around $950) and the dealer advertising fee(it is normally like $650-700) These are legit fees that you can expect to see added to the bottom line.

When they see you are stuck on invoice price they will try to tack on doc fees and all kinds of crap. MAKE SURE you double check the bottom line. It should be invoice price + sales tax, that's it!

I know at the end of 2010 when I got my 2011 Ford, if you went to Ford.com and gave them you address requestiong more info on a particular model (F250, 350 etc. in your case) they will send you another $750 coupon in the mail.

nlminc
01-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks Ryan. I started going through Edmonds for the trucks I'm looking at.