PDA

View Full Version : For us that own carbed motors on our mowers.....

soloscaperman
01-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Since were heading towards more propane, efi, and diesel engines how is the value going to drop on our antique carb gas drinking mowers lol. Should I sell soon?

lawnpro724
01-18-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm not! My mowers are only a few years old and dont even have 500 hours yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
01-18-2011, 11:26 PM
It's going to be a while untill you start seeing all of the mowers you mentioned and the carbed ones being obsolete.

Richard Martin
01-19-2011, 09:06 AM
It's coming faster than a person might think. Kawasaki, Kohler and Robin Subaru now have fuel injected engines. Kohler just completely redesigned theirs.

http://www.robinamerica.com/media/images/products/226/contentitems/1521_l.png

MOturkey
01-19-2011, 11:42 AM
My dealer told me that Gravely is going to offer an EFI engine on their Pro-Turn model this year, but not on the others yet. If they offered it on the Pro-Master, I'd probably buy one.

dbear
01-19-2011, 01:18 PM
You could always convert yours to propane:
Small engine conversion kits (http://www.propanecarbs.com/small_engines.html)

MarcSmith
01-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Since were heading towards more propane, efi, and diesel engines how is the value going to drop on our antique carb gas drinking mowers lol. Should I sell soon?much like any vehicle. initially the price WILL drop. but you just gotta hold on to it for a while and the price will come around..

Its nice to be able to work on your equipment..and not need a degree in computer engineering though...

soloscaperman
01-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Talked to my dealer a few weeks back and said that efi is the standard. I guess My mower is classed as a 1980's cutlass supreme ha ha. Carbed, gas drinker that no one will want with gas prices that will be coming to a gas station near you. It's hard to explain. I mean no one has a carbed car or truck maybe for weekends or enjoyment but what if we hit that time that owning a mower like this will actually push us out of business sooner then we thought.

jkilov
01-19-2011, 01:47 PM
I don't mind fuel injection as long as it's cheap, read:not overpriced. Small motors are likely to remain carburated.

Another thing: A carb is not a carb, there are many types and still room for improvement. It's about time for somebody to get smart and start offering CV carbs on their engines. Since Kawasaki started using Mikuni and Keihin CV carbs on motorcycles 30 years ago I'd expect they would update their OPE engines as well.

soloscaperman
01-19-2011, 01:59 PM
I think in the coming years mowers will be hitting the $20K mark and there excuse will be for because of emissions and fuel injection.

Jason Rose
01-19-2011, 02:31 PM
EFI engines are still problematic used in the conditions such as lawn care. I don't really know why though. Not to mention the days of working on it yourself is gone if you have EFI.

My parents bought a JD lawn tractor (700 series, 4wd/4ws) that has an EFI liquid cooled Kawi in it. They have had nothing by problems with it running right. I know another guy here that has an EFI on an Exmark and it almost never runs right. I've read tales on here in the past with the same problems. I won't touch one. I think I'd opt for a diesel before an EFI gasser. The problems with the EFI's just doesn't make sence though. It's not like they don't have fuel filters and heavy duty air cleaners. There should be no way that dirty air or poor fuel should be effecting them they way it is. It's the same fuel and air that all of the vehicles are using and it's rare to hear of an EFI problem with them. Injectors wear out, but that's over years and years and lots of miles.

KFLAWN
01-19-2011, 03:08 PM
I will stick to carbd atleast till they make it so I cant anymore

jkilov
01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
I agree, the industry just wants us to spend more money on them for something we don't need.

Richard Martin
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Its nice to be able to work on your equipment..and not need a degree in computer engineering though...

This is part of the problem. If you feel comfortable working on your car, truck, computer or television why should working on a lawn mower be any different?

It's not black magic. There are flow charts and all kinds of stuff. It's easy once you know what to look for.

soloscaperman
01-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Is there a MAF sensor on these EFI mowers?? It would make sense dust and debris sticking to the sensor and giving poor readouts to the PCM. I have a friend that has a Camaro and he works in dusty conditions and his parking lot and job is always dusty and he has to always clean his filter and MAF sensor.

Richard Martin
01-20-2011, 04:25 AM
Is there a MAF sensor on these EFI mowers?? It would make sense dust and debris sticking to the sensor and giving poor readouts to the PCM. I have a friend that has a Camaro and he works in dusty conditions and his parking lot and job is always dusty and he has to always clean his filter and MAF sensor.

The Kohler I have is speed density. No PMAS.

If your buddy's sensor is always getting dirty then he has a serious problem with dirt getting past the filter. I have heard stories of the oil from K&N filters mucking them up but there shouldn't be any dirt.

eggie329
01-20-2011, 05:25 AM
Shouldn't be too much longer before the tree huggers make carbed mowers illegal and make us waste all of our profit replacing our perfectly fine mowers with ones that will save the o-zone for an extra day!