PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on used mower

944own
01-18-2011, 09:57 PM
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/for/2147419300.html
Just wanted to ask you guys if you thought this was a good deal I am looking to get a small walk behind and I have a lesco ztwo rider I have been real happy with do you know if this is belt driven or any info would help.

944own
01-18-2011, 10:12 PM
I talked to another guy local that has a scag 36" belt drive I could get for around 500 I have never had a walk behind does belt drive mean it does not have reverse or what are the pros and cons. thanks

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
01-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Not bad price. I bought a 36 exmark for 900 and spent another 100 servicing it to get it back into shape.

The only con in a belt drive in my opinion is when it is wet the drive belts start to slip. But you probablly should not be mowing when it is wet anyway. A hydro model is a lot smoother to operate in terms of steering.

The belt drive exmarks have reverse assist. Usually walk behinds don't have reverse. You won't find a hydro model for that cheap. And I bet that scag looks pretty rough for 500. Normal price on a used belt drive exmark or scag WB that is around 6 years old in good shape is 1000-1600 on craigslist in this area.

That lesco your looking at is belt driven. I'd talk him down to 600 and go scoop it up.

944own
01-18-2011, 10:50 PM
I talked to the guy with the lesco and he said it is in great shape he said it is only 2 years old and is belt drive. he said he tried to get into lawncare and it just did not work out and he really only used the mower for one season and it has reverse. Like I said I have never had a walk behind so would it be fairly easy to learn being belt drive. He also said he will take 700 I will offer a little less if I decide to try to get it he is gonna send me some more pics tomorrow.

bc3xx0
01-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Every belt drive I have seen has reverse. It's just an assist though, you still have to pull it.

A hydro will go in reverse with the lever and works as a zero turn. A belt will only free wheel then lock up. If you get good with a belt, you can muscle the free wheel and get it to turn pretty quick, but it will wear you out quick!

The price seems right. If nothing else, buy it and flip it in spring when everyone wants commercial equipment!

944own
01-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Every belt drive I have seen has reverse. It's just an assist though, you still have to pull it.

A hydro will go in reverse with the lever and works as a zero turn. A belt will only free wheel then lock up. If you get good with a belt, you can muscle the free wheel and get it to turn pretty quick, but it will wear you out quick!

The price seems right. If nothing else, buy it and flip it in spring when everyone wants commercial equipment!
how could you ride this thing with the sulky if no reverse.thanks

bc3xx0
01-19-2011, 03:31 AM

Your reverse is gonna be selected on the transmission. It won't back up very well if you are on a sulky, you'll have to step off and give it a pull. You'd probably step off the sulky on a hydro as well when backing up.

What I was refering to earlier was that when you go to turn, you can't reverse one wheel and don't get a true 0 turn.

944own
01-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Your reverse is gonna be selected on the transmission. It won't back up very well if you are on a sulky, you'll have to step off and give it a pull. You'd probably step off the sulky on a hydro as well when backing up.

What I was refering to earlier was that when you go to turn, you can't reverse one wheel and don't get a true 0 turn.

OK I see im gonna see what it looks like when he sends me more pics today it seems like a fair deal im wanting something smaller for gates.

Richard Martin
01-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Don't go backwards. I've been using belt drives forever and I also have a hydro. I use which ever mower I feel like at the moment.

Belt drives aren't nearly as hard to use as a lot of people make them out to be. For $700 you should jump all over it.

nolanjim
01-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Belt drives have lasted me forever. Less maintenence than hydros and if there is anything wrong you just replace a belt.
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Dawg
01-19-2011, 11:51 AM
I will bet for 700 bucks with the Veke it is not going to be long before it is sold. If you need one you might want to hurry

944own
01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
here is another pic he sent me today I offered 600 and he said he was gonna think about it and call me later to let me know something. It is about 3hrs round trip to atlanta

Turf Dawg
01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Just from my past experiences on craigslist, if you find something you want/need and it is at a great price, then you better get some money and head out. I have been that guy that was 10 minutes too late several times because I wanted to e-mail, call, ect... too many times.

BTW that looks like a great mower for the price.

fireman9
01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Belt drives are great for going straight as an arrow too... no wiggling like a hydro. I have both and still love my belt drive. One downside like was mentioned They don't like to back up without a little help especially on hills.

944own
01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Well it looks like it is not going to happen, he would not take my offer and I really cant afford any more right now so I guess the quest continues. If anyone around Atlanta is interested his number is in the add and it looks like a good deal.

Turf Dawg
01-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Well it looks like it is not going to happen, he would not take my offer and I really cant afford any more right now so I guess the quest continues. If anyone around Atlanta is interested his number is in the add and it looks like a good deal.

Sorry, I know the feeling all too well. My luck is either I'm a day late or I'm a dollar short. :cry:

944own
01-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Sorry, I know the feeling all too well. My luck is either I'm a day late or I'm a dollar short. :cry:

Thanks but you know what they say life goes on, guess I will but a few more miles on my 21:walking:

Landrus2
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Show him the cash payuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayup

944own
01-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Show him the cash payuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayuppayup
After considering the age of this mower it is too good to pass so I'm going to get it tomorrow will post pics thanks for all the advice
Posted via Mobile Device

bc3xx0
01-20-2011, 02:09 AM
After considering the age of this mower it is too good to pass so I'm going to get it tomorrow will post pics thanks for all the advice
Posted via Mobile Device

I was about to say.........

dicking over a hundo isn't worth it on this mower!!! He could easily get at least a grand for this mower come spring!

You're getting a good buy.

Agape
01-20-2011, 02:18 AM
here is another pic he sent me today I offered 600 and he said he was gonna think about it and call me later to let me know something. It is about 3hrs round trip to atlanta

I would drive from Oregon to pick it up for $700, it's nice but the tires look a bit anemic.

944own
01-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Well I went and got it here is a few pics when I got home, this thing looks new the guy said he bought it late 2008 new came with gravely sulky I have it off now but I used it when I met him the trip was about 3 hours what do you guys think.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
01-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Wow that's nice. I just can't seem to consider anything other than the ecs handles on the exmark though. Nice steal though.
Posted via Mobile Device

brianslawncare
01-20-2011, 03:24 PM
i have two hydro walkbehinds and love them. each have a sulky attached, i do back up with them but its a little tricky and takes a lot of practice.one has a single wheel and the other is a dual wheel sulky, the single works better and backs up easier. but the single leaves the third wheel in the stripe my customers dont care. i never had a belt driven, but i did do some research on them. what i found they are cheaper to fix than a hydro, they are cheaper priced and they beat you up. some said the belts will slip in wet grass,my hydro slipped a couple of times. for the price its worth looking at.

nolanjim
01-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Very good deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

944own
01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Here is a pic of the sulky he gave me the receipt for it, he paid 312.00 for it and bought it in 2009. I am not quite ready for it yet. LOL

Turf Dawg
01-20-2011, 04:02 PM
HI FIVE !!!!!!!!!

Looks great and I personally think these are easier to run with the sulky. Put on the sulky and run it up and down the street, do some doughnuts, and you will be ready for spring.

944own
01-20-2011, 04:06 PM
HI FIVE !!!!!!!!!

Looks great and I personally think these are easier to run with the sulky. Put on the sulky and run it up and down the street, do some doughnuts, and you will be ready for spring.

Thanks I will try some more on the sulky, it is just so cold out right now I think it was a great deal the guy I bought it from seemed real honest he just tried lawncare and did not make it and gave up and said he could not take the 100 degree days in the summer. This is not for everyone

Gravelyftw
01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Yeah I got used to using a sulky on a big 3 or 4 acre yard. by the end of the yard i was 100% comfortable. Dont ever get on a hydro mower you wont want to use the belt drive ever again.

Agape
01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
I will give you $800 right now, an easy $100 lol

944own
01-20-2011, 05:19 PM
I think this is gonna be perfect for some of my accts that have like36"gates I usually try not to get my butt off the z but sometimes I cannot avoid it.LOL

944own
01-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I will give you $800 right now, an easy $100 lol

Thanks I am waiting till spring to get $1200 LOL just kidding this mower will be perfect for what I need.

fireman9
01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Looks awesome I'm sure you wont be disappointed. I had a single wheel set up but switched to a two wheel unit instead. I found due to my size(6'2") and weight (210+ lbs)I would leave ruts with the single wheel.The two wheel unit matches the tire treads on the mower and blend in now.

944own
01-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Looks awesome I'm sure you wont be disappointed. I had a single wheel set up but switched to a two wheel unit instead. I found due to my size(6'2") and weight (210+ lbs)I would leave ruts with the single wheel.The two wheel unit matches the tire treads on the mower and blend in now.

I have not cut with it yet but the tread on the sulky matches the tread on the mower
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Dawg
01-20-2011, 06:02 PM
I have not cut with it yet but the tread on the sulky matches the tread on the mower
Posted via Mobile Device

He is talking about it leaving a extra tire mark in the middle. I personally like the single wheel Velke's better and do not have to worry about the extra wheel mark in Bermuda but could see where you cool season fellows would not care for it.

944own
01-20-2011, 07:51 PM
He is talking about it leaving a extra tire mark in the middle. I personally like the single wheel Velke's better and do not have to worry about the extra wheel mark in Bermuda but could see where you cool season fellows would not care for it.

Oh OK I was sort of thinking what the tire tread would matter this makes sense.

944own
01-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Oh OK I was sort of thinking what the tire tread would matter this makes sense.

I have been out riding the sulky for about a hour, its not as bad as I thought yesterday when I first tried it I think a little more practice and I will be good to go on it.:cool2:

fireman9
01-21-2011, 06:03 PM
I have been out riding the sulky for about a hour, its not as bad as I thought yesterday when I first tried it I think a little more practice and I will be good to go on it.:cool2:

Can't help thinking that I miss riding on one of those right now, especially after plowing for 17 hours straight

944own
01-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Can't help thinking that I miss riding on one of those right now, especially after plowing for 17 hours straight
I know what you mean we never get any snow to ammount to anything here. About a week ago we got 8 inches and I saw guys with bobcats clearing walmart and the mall and I just thought I should have went and rented a bobcat and went to the upscale neighborhoods and cleared driveways for 50 bucks or so I probably could have done every one I asked. Oh well maybe next time

bc3xx0
01-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Sell that sulky for 150 bucks and you got the mower that much cheaper! Plus if you have to ride a sulky behind a 32" mower, you're using the wrong size mower for the job!!

The pics you posted look even better than the ones in the ad! You stole that thing. Just cross your fingers he didn't run it out of oil or something!!!

944own
01-21-2011, 11:33 PM
That is sort of what I was thinking about the sulky, I like using it but most of the cases I will be using the mower in are tight areas and small gated back yards so the sulky may just be in the way sometimes. When I have a big open area I am on my rider as for about running it out of oil I dont know it cranks first pull and I ended up running it around at my house for about 2 hours today and it seems to run very smooth.

944own
01-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Also I called the guy tonight to ask him something about the mower and I thought he said he bought it in 08 but he bought it in may of 09 and he said it was still under warranty until may for the 2 year warranty and if I had any trouble out of it call him and we can take it in and give them his name for warranty work. The guy was real cool to deal with.

bc3xx0
01-21-2011, 11:37 PM
That is sort of what I was thinking about the sulky, I like using it but most of the cases I will be using the mower in are tight areas and small gated back yards so the sulky may just be in the way sometimes. When I have a big open area I am on my rider as for about running it out of oil I dont know it cranks first pull and I ended up running it around at my house for about 2 hours today and it seems to run very smooth.

I shouldn't have said the oil thing! I was only kidding, now it'll always be in the back of your mind!!

944own
01-22-2011, 12:34 AM
I shouldn't have said the oil thing! I was only kidding, now it'll always be in the back of your mind!!

No worries I am no stranger to buying used stuff there is always a risk, my handhelds were all bought new but my big stuff all used so far this is how I have managed to not owe anything on equipment or my truck.

944own
01-22-2011, 03:02 PM
I had to go cut a yard for the bank today and I did not take the walk behind because I know the yard and dont need it. I loaded the trailer up when I got back just to see how everything would fit does it look like this will be ok, I wish the rider could be a little further toward the middle of the axle. I have some fastraps I bought to put on my rider and I marked these locations for the chocks while it was loaded. I sort of wish I had a bigger trailer but it should work it is gonna look a little down in the back because the slope of my driveway what do you guys think and what would be the best way to strap down the walk behind.

Turf Dawg
01-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Could you turn the 32 sideways and then back the ZTR on. Backing it on should put more weight over the axle.

944own
01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Could you turn the 32 sideways and then back the ZTR on. Backing it on should put more weight over the axle.

Maybe I would probably have to move where I keep my gas cans but I know it would be easier to load and unload if I could leave them straight do you think it looks too far back.

Richard Martin
01-22-2011, 06:03 PM
I agree with Turf Dawg, at the very least you need to turn the ZTR around.

944own
01-22-2011, 06:09 PM
I agree with Turf Dawg, at the very least you need to turn the ZTR around.

I cant turn the ztr around with the wb in straight because the ztr has to go under the handle of the wb or it all wont fit.

Richard Martin
01-22-2011, 06:17 PM
I cant turn the ztr around with the wb in straight because the ztr has to go under the handle of the wb or it all wont fit.

Is the trailer pushing the back of the truck down at all? I'm guessing you have about a 2,000 pound load there all totalled up (trailer plus mowers). You want between 10 and 15 percent of that weight on the tongue.

Gravelyftw
01-22-2011, 06:42 PM
why dont you back them both on? Back the ZTR on, then back the walk behind on.

944own
01-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Is the trailer pushing the back of the truck down at all? I'm guessing you have about a 2,000 pound load there all totalled up (trailer plus mowers). You want between 10 and 15 percent of that weight on the tongue.

I'm not sure I need to put it back on and pull up to level ground see I know I don't want up pressure on the tounge of the trailer maybe I will try to put the WB on sideways do you think if it looks like it has down pressure on the tounge I am cool
Posted via Mobile Device

944own
01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
why dont you back them both on? Back the ZTR on, then back the walk behind on.
I want the ztr on the back because I know I will use it more than the wb
Posted via Mobile Device

Gravelyftw
01-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Anyway you could put the wb on backwards? that might free up some room too.

Richard Martin
01-22-2011, 07:42 PM
I will try to put the WB on sideways do you think if it looks like it has down pressure on the tounge I am cool

It's easy to weigh. Like I said I think you have about 2,000 pounds total there. You'll need about 200 to 300 pounds on the tongue. The problem often encountered when the tongue is too light is the trailer can sway uncontrollably.

You can easily weigh it yourself. Just load the trailer up and then sit the tongue down on a bathroom scale. Don't use the jack if it has one. You want to weigh it right at the end of the tongue. You can put a cinder block or two under the scale to raise it up. Here's a good web page that describes it and has drawings. Use figure A, not B.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-trailertowtips.aspx

944own
01-22-2011, 07:55 PM
It's easy to weigh. Like I said I think you have about 2,000 pounds total there. You'll need about 200 to 300 pounds on the tongue. The problem often encountered when the tongue is too light is the trailer can sway uncontrollably.

You can easily weigh it yourself. Just load the trailer up and then sit the tongue down on a bathroom scale. Don't use the jack if it has one. You want to weigh it right at the end of the tongue. You can put a cinder block or two under the scale to raise it up. Here's a good web page that describes it and has drawings. Use figure A, not B.

Posted via Mobile Device

944own
01-22-2011, 07:57 PM

I think I would be afraid to take the trailer off my truck loaded up not knowing if I had enough weight on the front it might flip up if it had too much weight on back what do u think
Posted via Mobile Device

944own
01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Anyway you could put the wb on backwards? that might free up some room too.

That might work I am gonna see if I have room just to back the ztr on back
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
01-22-2011, 08:00 PM
I think I would be afraid to take the trailer off my truck loaded up not knowing if I had enough weight on the front it might flip up if it had too much weight on back what do u think
Posted via Mobile Device

Just put something under the back of the trailer like a floor jack, some cinder blocks, blocks of wood. Anything will do.

944own
01-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Just put something under the back of the trailer like a floor jack, some cinder blocks, blocks of wood. Anything will do.

OK I have a floor jack and I could try that. I was measuring the wb and it is like 73" long and my trailer is 72" wide so it would fit sideways but where I would want to put it up front all my racks would be in the way and I think it would be a bixxh to have to get around my racks sideways all the time.

StanWilhite
01-22-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure I need to put it back on and pull up to level ground see I know I don't want up pressure on the tounge of the trailer maybe I will try to put the WB on sideways do you think if it looks like it has down pressure on the tounge I am cool
Posted via Mobile Device

As they said, gonna get hard (or impossible) to handle at speed if there's not enough weight on the truck bumper!!

Another easy way to know if you've got enough weight on the truck bumper is to:
1 chock trailer wheels (obviously on the downhill side if on a slope)
2 remove the ztr from the trailer so the trailer won't rear up in front when
unhooked
3 unhook trailer
4 have someone (or 2 someones) stand in the middle of your truck bumper (preferably a
person (or people) that weighs around 250 lb ...or throw 250 lbs of anything in the
rear of the bed (but not on tailgate)
5 measure distance from bumper to ground, tell person(s) to get off
6 hook trailer back up, load mowers, measure from same point to ground

OK you see where this is going. If your truck sits higher, you certainly need more weight in front of the trailer axle. And, if the trailer doesn't have brakes on it, I'd want even more than 250 lbs on the tongue. If not, you'll be a prime candidate to jack knife on wet pavement. It can happen before you know it, and by the time you're aware of it, it's more than likely going to be to late to correct it. I know, I've almost had it happen to me once pulling a 10K farm tractor w/loader and once in a tractor trailer. It ain't fun! Good luck