PDA

View Full Version : 20,000 Doorhangers, just one question.

Houston Wyatt
01-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Ok, so 2011 will be my first year. Ive got all my equipment and everything's good to go.
My plan is to hit the ground running, hard. Ive got my business plan wrote, of course will always be editing it. But I've decided that I'm going with 20,000 doorhangers from Print Place for $934. I can't imagine the pain it's going to be distributing this but it will get done.
I've also deciding I'm not double hitting houses.

I can't really find a hard answer for what I'm looking for. So what week, or probably 2 weeks, would be the best to distribute these doorhangers. Is it the first of February? Or the first of March?

willretire@40
01-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Check gotprint prices. Also you want to hit the same area 3 times. I would start the last week of Feb. Do you see Just Mowing in your area yet?

Houston Wyatt
01-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Does hitting houses more than once really have an affect? No mowing yet. we just had like 8 inches of snow last week.

Mxrider52
01-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Check gotprint prices. Also you want to hit the same area 3 times. I would start the last week of Feb. Do you see Just Mowing in your area yet?

You mention hitting the same area 3 times. But how far apart should you make them? Like a week or longer?

Houston Wyatt
01-19-2011, 01:14 AM
You mention hitting the same area 3 times. But how far apart should you make them? Like a week or longer?

I can't see anything less than at least a month apart doing any good. But maybe not.

PLS-Tx
01-19-2011, 01:22 AM
We usually start the first of Feb, but we are further south than you so I don't know.

20k that's a lot, how many guys are you going to have putting them out?

I need to get moving for next season, I'm having a hard time getting motivated this year for some reason.

Houston Wyatt
01-19-2011, 01:33 AM
We usually start the first of Feb, but we are further south than you so I don't know.

20k that's a lot, how many guys are you going to have putting them out?

I need to get moving for next season, I'm having a hard time getting motivated this year for some reason.

Well me, a friend, and a little 12 year old. We'll get it done. Might take couple weeks but don't have anything else to do.

How long is your mowing season down there?

PLS-Tx
01-19-2011, 01:44 AM
Well me, a friend, and a little 12 year old. We'll get it done. Might take couple weeks but don't have anything else to do.

How long is your mowing season down there?

It's all year, we don't get snow, winter is more leaves than grass.

Better get some good comfy shoes!!! :laugh:

We put out about 2k last year and that was a job. If you don't get them all out you will have some for next year.

Agape
01-19-2011, 03:15 AM
It's all year, we don't get snow, winter is more leaves than grass.

Better get some good comfy shoes!!! :laugh:

We put out about 2k last year and that was a job. If you don't get them all out you will have some for next year.

Asic gel's are the best (running shoes are made for best cushion and no law that u have to run lol) feel like walking on clouds. and it's not uncommon for me to get out 500-600 in a killer day with a worker-(flat to light hill.)

StihlMechanic
01-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Are door hangers really worth it? I heard the return was 1-3%. I would expect a good website to have better results. Ever run into rude people when you are passing them out? I hate rude people, lol.

Houston Wyatt
01-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Are door hangers really worth it? I heard the return was 1-3%. I would expect a good website to have better results. Ever run into rude people when you are passing them out? I hate rude people, lol.

Yea rude people suck lol. But say you only put out 5,000 doorhangers. And the expected return is 2%, thats 100 calls you should expect. If your close rate is 50%, your just gained 50 new accounts.

5,000 doorhangers = $250 roughly
50 new accounts = $2000 weekly, $60,000 yearly (roughly, $40 average)

Still not worth it?

Mxrider52
01-19-2011, 03:15 PM
So you guys that walk these around do you just put a doorhanger on their door and walk off or do you actually try talking to them? Do you guys have a specific time you pass these out or do you just get them out at anytime?

I am just really getting started into it this year so that is why I ask. I want to pass out a lot of fliers if I can.

How simple do you guys make your fliers? Do you put alot of info on them or just enough where they call you asking?

TexasFire221
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Check with the city you will be passing them out in first. I want to hit a new area hard this year and they have a city ordinance that you cannot leave anything at or on the door. You have to knock and actully hand them the material. Kind of defets the purpose of leaving something and not bothering them. Most cities require you to have a list of all persons who will pass them out and pay a fee per person.

Houston Wyatt
01-19-2011, 04:17 PM
So you guys that walk these around do you just put a doorhanger on their door and walk off or do you actually try talking to them? Do you guys have a specific time you pass these out or do you just get them out at anytime?

I am just really getting started into it this year so that is why I ask. I want to pass out a lot of fliers if I can.

How simple do you guys make your fliers? Do you put alot of info on them or just enough where they call you asking?

Honestly, this is my first year also. I'm just going to walk around with couple of my friends and hang em up. Probably during the day like 8am-4pm would be best because most are at work.

I'll put up mine, i just got em done. I like the way they turned out. I'm fixing to order 20,000 of em.
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9751/doorhangerfront.th.jpg (http://img832.imageshack.us/i/doorhangerfront.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Agape
01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Check with the city you will be passing them out in first. I want to hit a new area hard this year and they have a city ordinance that you cannot leave anything at or on the door. You have to knock and actully hand them the material. Kind of defets the purpose of leaving something and not bothering them. Most cities require you to have a list of all persons who will pass them out and pay a fee per person.

I got harassed by a cop this last season with a city ordinance prohibiting attachment of fliers/ hand bills to residences without permission of the property owner.

I went to city ordinance code compliance supervisor to inquire, and he said there WAS a law on the books, but that they were not allowed to enforce it, due to the fact that it was in violation to our constitutional right to free speech. so I would definitely call or stop by your local code compliance office and ask about the constitutionality of it.

Agape
01-19-2011, 06:02 PM
I found that out while I was trying to get a solicitors permit and found out I did NOT need one.

southtx
01-19-2011, 09:27 PM
I called for information down here in san antonio and was told I was not allowed due to city ordinacne. The thing that gets me is when I come home from time to time I fine hangers all the time. I guess if you want to take the chance cause I know its a fine if caught.

sdk1959
01-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Check with the city you will be passing them out in first. I want to hit a new area hard this year and they have a city ordinance that you cannot leave anything at or on the door. You have to knock and actually hand them the material. Kind of defeats the purpose of leaving something and not bothering them. Most cities require you to have a list of all persons who will pass them out and pay a fee per person.

The neighborhood has to have a sign at EVERY entrance to the neighborhood in a highly visible place stating No Soliciting, otherwise they have no case. No sign, no case.

Speeding tickets are beat every day if there is no posted speed limit.

Chilehead
01-19-2011, 10:23 PM
I got harassed by a cop this last season with a city ordinance prohibiting attachment of fliers/ hand bills to residences without permission of the property owner.

I went to city ordinance code compliance supervisor to inquire, and he said there WAS a law on the books, but that they were not allowed to enforce it, due to the fact that it was in violation to our constitutional right to free speech. so I would definitely call or stop by your local code compliance office and ask about the constitutionality of it.

I got busted last year too. Distributing door hangers is under the local classification of canvassing, and if caught a second time--illegal dumping. Fine is upwards of $1200.00.:dizzy:

Agape
01-19-2011, 10:31 PM
I went to code inforcement (controls and enforces all city ordinances)and was told by them( the head guy) I couldn't be bothered as it IS violation of constitutional rights. contact a lawyer and find it or do mailers.

I was not rude to the officer, but he was getting soooo irritated with me that he would have arrested me if he thought for a minute that he could do anything, cause I called him on syntax of the ordinance.:cool2:

sdk1959
01-19-2011, 10:50 PM
I got busted last year too. Distributing door hangers is under the local classification of canvassing, and if caught a second time--illegal dumping. Fine is upwards of $1200.00.:dizzy:

The neighborhood has to have a sign at EVERY entrance to the neighborhood in a highly visible place stating No Soliciting, otherwise they have no case. No sign, no case.

Speeding tickets are beat every day if there is no posted speed limit.

Agape
01-19-2011, 11:39 PM
well, just like a no parking sign, wouldn't it need to be followed by a city ordinance # ?

GreenI.A.
01-20-2011, 05:34 PM
I would take those door hangers and split them up and hit 6,500 houses 3 times each. I'm doing three post card mailings this spring. The first two are 10,000 houses each and will hit the houses 1 month apart. each 10k mailling is split up over two weeks so that i dont get all the calls at once but spread out over a few weeks. The schedule for the mailings is somewhat like this: 3rd week Feb - area A receives 1st mailing, 1st week March - area Breceives there first mailing. 3rd week March - area A receives 2nd mailing, 1st week Apr - area B receives second mailing. I will then do a mailing of 5k or so in May to any area that I picked up a good amount of work and want to try to tighten up the routes some more.

I would think you could do something simulare with the door hangers.

StihlMechanic
01-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Yea rude people suck lol. But say you only put out 5,000 doorhangers. And the expected return is 2%, thats 100 calls you should expect. If your close rate is 50%, your just gained 50 new accounts.

5,000 doorhangers = $250 roughly
50 new accounts = $2000 weekly, $60,000 yearly (roughly, $40 average)

Still not worth it?

good point.

Houston Wyatt
01-20-2011, 11:00 PM
I would take those door hangers and split them up and hit 6,500 houses 3 times each. I'm doing three post card mailings this spring. The first two are 10,000 houses each and will hit the houses 1 month apart. each 10k mailling is split up over two weeks so that i dont get all the calls at once but spread out over a few weeks. The schedule for the mailings is somewhat like this: 3rd week Feb - area A receives 1st mailing, 1st week March - area Breceives there first mailing. 3rd week March - area A receives 2nd mailing, 1st week Apr - area B receives second mailing. I will then do a mailing of 5k or so in May to any area that I picked up a good amount of work and want to try to tighten up the routes some more.

Now when does your mowing season begin and end?

GreenI.A.
01-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Now when does your mowing season begin and end?

no wowing, just irrigation, lighting, and lawn & tree/shrub care.

Houston Wyatt
01-21-2011, 12:21 PM
no wowing, just irrigation, lighting, and lawn & tree/shrub care.

Oh. I'm just trying to decide on when I should distribute doorhangers if I start in first of April. Should I just put some out in beginning February and then again in beginning March?

Texas Lawn
01-21-2011, 12:29 PM

How much does it cost you to mail all of that? 25,000 mailers? With the price of stamps, that seems pretty high.

GreenI.A.
01-21-2011, 01:06 PM
don't use stamps! if you are doing a large mailing it is alot cheaper to get a permit number and print that inplace of the stamp. If you look at alot of commercial bulk mailing there will be a pox printed that says postage paid permit number and city,st mailed from. This is much cheaper, you bring the bulk mail to the po and they charge you according to the bulk.

A mailing service such as gotprint.net will charge about .46 each to design print and mail 10k 5.5x8.5 on top quality paper with clear coat, full color print both sides, and mailing list where you tell them the areas and dempgraphick you want to mail to (income, house value, children in house, single or multi family home) they use infousa for this list.

I designed my own postcards 5.5 x 8.5, and aquired my own list from infousa. I am having them printed by gotprints and mailing them myself. The spot I am saving the most on is the mailing list. Each time they do a mailing for you, you have to rebuy the list. I bought the list and worked with infousa.com for it, I nagotiated the price down alot because the list contained about 250k single family residences all with in my minumum requirements. Its on an excel sheet so I can work it to exactly how I want it for each mailing. So in the summer when I plan to start postcards for flea/tick I can just mail to houses with in cerain areas that have dogs listed on there census

Landscape Poet
01-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Oh. I'm just trying to decide on when I should distribute doorhangers if I start in first of April. Should I just put some out in beginning February and then again in beginning March?

Start putting them out now. If you door hanger is attractive you will find some people will hold onto them until they are ready for you. I have had people call me 8 months after I placed a door hanger on their door.

As far as the best time....wait until you see Home Depot, Scotts, Lowes etc start running their tv ads.....then you need to be pounding payment hard. These companies have already spent their money getting the customers about their lawns, you job just got cheaper and easier because they have done this for you.

For the ones you are passing out now - I might suggest having a place where you can put a price on it for the customer. This eliminates any guess work on their part to as if they can afford your service. Right now while it is slow you have the time to look the property over good and give accurate pricing. When spring comes you are going to be getting calls and trying to fit time in to give estimates during the same time you are going to be wanting to cut. Giving the price now makes it more likely they will call, and save you time in the long run..

bmac1996acc
02-12-2011, 10:00 PM

Was this in Hampton city limits or unincorporated Henry County?

dgoshilla
02-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Door hangers are great if you do it yourself. Never hire a company to do it. If you want, hire someone to walk with you to ensure proper delivery. I guarantee a higher rate of return if you do it yourself. I've done 3,000 through a service and got ZERO calls. I go out myself and pass out 200 and I received 3 calls.

clean_cut
02-18-2011, 01:47 PM

???

Why not? I would much rather have 20 lawns in one neighborhood than 5 here, 10 there, and another 5 in a neighboring county. I think it would be worth your effort to pick a few neighborhoods and hit them a few times each. All a few weeks or even a month apart.

I'm glad you're getting ready for this season, I hope it's a good one :)

Also, remember, word of mouth is the best advertisement, do good work and let your customers advertise for you.

Houston Wyatt
02-18-2011, 04:53 PM
???

Why not? I would much rather have 20 lawns in one neighborhood than 5 here, 10 there, and another 5 in a neighboring county. I think it would be worth your effort to pick a few neighborhoods and hit them a few times each. All a few weeks or even a month apart.

I'm glad you're getting ready for this season, I hope it's a good one :)

Also, remember, word of mouth is the best advertisement, do good work and let your customers advertise for you.

Yeah. I can see that. My doorhangers will be here Monday and we start distributing Tuesday morning through Friday. What do yall think would be a reasonable goal for 3 guys in 4 days? Is it possible to maybe hit 1000 a day? Im talking from 8am till 5pm. And as far as the double hits, if I put out the hangers in a neighborhood, and say 5 people call, and the others most likely threw it out, whats going to change their mind the second go around? instead of throw that one out also.

Self_Paid1
02-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Same here I feel you Houton!

SchnabelLawnCare
02-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Yeah. I can see that. My doorhangers will be here Monday and we start distributing Tuesday morning through Friday. What do yall think would be a reasonable goal for 3 guys in 4 days? Is it possible to maybe hit 1000 a day? Im talking from 8am till 5pm. And as far as the double hits, if I put out the hangers in a neighborhood, and say 5 people call, and the others most likely threw it out, whats going to change their mind the second go around? instead of throw that one out also.

Is the 12 year old out of school from 8-5?

clean_cut
02-18-2011, 06:08 PM

It's more of name recognition than anything else. After a few times they start to remember your name, and whenever they need some landscape work done they'll think "oh yeah, how about that guy that gave us those flyers the other day"

If I were you though, I'd probably distribute some as soon as possible and get some spring clean up jobs and then distribute to the same areas again right before the grass needs cutting, when most people are really thinking about having to mow the lawn.

gndmaster
02-18-2011, 08:19 PM
dont pass them out in germantown tn code enf will get u also the cops

Self_Paid1
02-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the info. Did they get you in Germantown!
Posted via Mobile Device

Houston Wyatt
02-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Is the 12 year old out of school from 8-5?

The 12 year old is home schooled.
Posted via Mobile Device

MarkintheGarden
02-19-2011, 09:50 AM

In the sales business, they call it softening! When you expose your advertisement to a potential customer, they become more and more familiar with it so a second and third exposure are more likely to have the desired effect.

The best thing about doorhangers and flyers, is that they bring in work where you want it. As soon as you start getting calls and customers are signed up, do the door hangers again in that area. You want to get customers in groups so that you can mow several lawns at one stop, or at least with short distances between.

So, when you do start signing up customers, keep putting out the doorhangers and keep an eye open for properties going on the market and new people moving in.

gndmaster
02-19-2011, 11:26 AM
yes code got me i g town that is the only place i dont flier

Houston Wyatt
02-19-2011, 12:18 PM
In the sales business, they call it softening! When you expose your advertisement to a potential customer, they become more and more familiar with it so a second and third exposure are more likely to have the desired effect.

The best thing about doorhangers and flyers, is that they bring in work where you want it. As soon as you start getting calls and customers are signed up, do the door hangers again in that area. You want to get customers in groups so that you can mow several lawns at one stop, or at least with short distances between.

So, when you do start signing up customers, keep putting out the doorhangers and keep an eye open for properties going on the market and new people moving in.

Thank you. It's definitely something I'm thinking about now.

Did they make you pay a fine? How much?
Posted via Mobile Device

gndmaster
02-20-2011, 12:28 PM
no fine just a warning

Wayne's Lawn Service
02-20-2011, 08:54 PM
1 - 3 % would be a great return. I would expect like 1/2 to 1% return and that is assuming timing is right.

I would certainly do the same area at least twice as stated above. Statistically, the chances of someone buying on the first contact is pretty low. Think of yourself when you buy something. How many times have you said to yourself, I meant to call them last time?

Just a thought! Good luck.

StihlBR600
02-20-2011, 10:49 PM
So say i pass out flyers on March 20th when should i re-hit the same houses? Our mowing season starts April 20th usually.

MarkintheGarden
02-21-2011, 12:40 AM
So say i pass out flyers on March 20th when should i re-hit the same houses? Our mowing season starts April 20th usually.

I would Re-hit the same area about a month later. The neighbors of my current customers might get five flyers in the course of a year. This is how I have developed clusters of three to six customers all at the same stop.

StihlBR600
02-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Ok. Ill just hit the same house a week before cutting starts and hopefully i get some results.

Wright48
02-21-2011, 12:29 PM
I do all my door hangers in the second to third week of march once shot theres only a 1 percent return on door to door advertising so I only do them once in the begging and once before fall clean ups

I got the biggest return last year on lawn signs you cant beat them put them up after you clean up you regular accounts and keep em up for a few weeks on and off for the season i got numerous one time jobs and 5 accounts alone last year from them

Lurch01
02-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Ok, so 2011 will be my first year. Ive got all my equipment and everything's good to go.
My plan is to hit the ground running, hard. Ive got my business plan wrote, of course will always be editing it. But I've decided that I'm going with 20,000 doorhangers from Print Place for $934. I can't imagine the pain it's going to be distributing this but it will get done.

I can't really find a hard answer for what I'm looking for. So what week, or probably 2 weeks, would be the best to distribute these doorhangers. Is it the first of February? Or the first of March?

Proud of you for the Drive, What side of H town are you on? I put out a ton of door hangers yearly for all 3 of my businesses.

I pay .12 a door to have them delivered. Are you gonna walk them? You will average about 4-6 doors a minute if you trek across the front yard.

Lurch01
02-27-2011, 11:36 PM
When you are walking door to door, Be weary of Dogs and open garages. I have had a few times when some dogs saw me in there yard and I was motivated to leave. They can surprise the Sh** out of you.

Be ready for confrontation, Go about at 9:00 am and be finished by 3:00 pm.

Lurch01
02-27-2011, 11:40 PM

Is a $1,200 dollar fine worth 10K in profit?? Yes it is. I have been fined thousands for bandit signs in the past. But every 1 K I paid I made 6 K. Do you see where I am going with this. I can show you pictures of 10,000 plus bandit signs filling my garage for my WE BUY HOUSES SIGNS.