PDA

View Full Version : Equipment trailer restoration

JerseyGreen
01-19-2011, 10:27 AM
I recently obtained a equipment trailer in need of alot of work. The trailer is a tandem axle "Gen" ? Trailer from 1968, its has a 12000 lb GVW and the deck is 6'x14' with a 6' tonge. That is all the info i can get on it. I have removed the decking and will be replacing, i was given oak decking form the original owner that was going to restore the trailer. The trailer has a older style two piece rim system, which i have never delt with before. Im excited the work on it and i will post some pics as i go. Do any of you guys have a trailer with 2 pieces rims? And have any of you changed the hub assembly to new style rims?

JerseyGreen
01-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Well this week we began to work on the trailer and also did so research on these older trailer. I have learn alittle bit about these rim and axles that are on the trailer, the rim is 1 piece, they are called mobile home axles. And after pulling the hubs off we realized that these hubs can be taken off and changed to the newer, more comin style hub assembly. as of now the decking is off, we have begun grinding the trailer down and painting and wait for the new hubs and brakes. Alse we have found that the axles them self are rated at 7000 lbs a piece which is nice to hear, and that all of the trailer is constructed with structal steel. after talking to my brother-in-law, which is a engineer, he figured that the with strength and size of the steel that the trailer can hold at least 12000 lbs, which i will never have on the trailer.

GunnPropertyServices
01-22-2011, 09:54 PM
looks like a nice trailer, post some pictures of the oak decking never seen a trailer like that with oak on it, the oak is prolly worth more then the trailer

ParkWelding
01-23-2011, 12:29 PM
There is nothing wrong with the UTG/mobile home style hubs and wheels. You just have to make sure the brake backing plates are attached to the axle flange with 5 bolts. Then you are able to replace the backing plates as needed.

Hawg City Lawns
01-23-2011, 12:58 PM
that is one beefy trailer whats your plans for it? tractor hauling or building sides and a gate?

JerseyGreen
01-23-2011, 03:06 PM
I'll post pic of the oak decking later on.

And the plan for the trailer will be for it the haul equipment, pallets, and my jeep once i get time for that project, were looking into purchasing a small kubota. It already has ramps on it i'll take a picture of them for you, they are really nice they fold up and in half.

I have a friend that uses the UTG axles, but are the bearing need to be replaced, the brakes need to be replaced and the tires are done. that and there will be more parts accessible if i change them.

ParkWelding
01-23-2011, 07:45 PM
I thought I was in for the same thing with the tri-axle trailer I'm working on. Turned out that the drums and half of the bearings were fine, so I just put complete backing plates on and replaced the bad bearings and races. I found a guy that had twelve tires mounted on wheels that all had less than 300 miles on them. Got all of them cheaper than buying six new tires and having them mounted on my old wheels locally. So far so good.