PDA

View Full Version : V ride or walk behind?

brandonppr
01-19-2011, 10:46 AM
I am getting another mower this year right now I have a 36" freedom z. I need another mower and I am looking at the 48" V ride or a hydro walk behind.

How is the V ride on hills compared to walkbehind?

advantages or disadvatages of either?

touhey33
01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
The vride is going to have fleet pricing on a single purchase in February. I got quoted at 6400 for the 52" and will be getting it.

brandonppr
01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
The vride is going to have fleet pricing on a single purchase in February. I got quoted at 6400 for the 52" and will be getting it.

Yeah I got the same pricing here.

oldclawn
01-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Geen Envy--let me know which dealer in the area quoted you this 6,400! This is much lower than the quotes I've been getting!

brandonppr
01-20-2011, 12:14 PM
edit:
I just looked at my quote again.
Here is what I was quoted
36" $6000 + tax
48" $6600 + tax
52" $6700 + tax

so you got a better price than I did.

SouthSide Cutter
01-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Wish you could walk behind the V Ride like the Grandstand. Might come in handy that way. And if I were to buy just one it would be the V ride. Seen the price from 7400 to around 6000.

gasracer
01-20-2011, 01:41 PM
A walk behind will stick on hills better than a V-ride.
V-ride weighs 400 lbs. more than walk behind plus your weight on it would cause it to rut a soft yard.

brandonppr
01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
I just called another dealer and got a quote for $6400 for the 48"

I think I'm going to get the V ride for now. I want to see how it does and I might get a lightweight walk behind also if there is a need.

Baytownlawncare
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
I am getting another mower this year right now I have a 36" freedom z. I need another mower and I am looking at the 48" V ride or a hydro walk behind.

How is the V ride on hills compared to walkbehind?

advantages or disadvatages of either?
How has that freedom Z worked out for you? I have been leary of it since it is not commercial grade.

alexschultz1
01-20-2011, 07:42 PM
v-ride, if a hill is bad enough that the v-ride cant conquor it then just use the 36". v-ride with increase your productivity and reduce wear and tear on your body. plus they are built like sherman tanks

integrityman
01-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Brandon- I intend to demo this spring..... got the same questions you do....I do like the exercise of a w/b though.

brandonppr
01-21-2011, 01:38 AM
How has that freedom Z worked out for you? I have been leary of it since it is not commercial grade.

It's been pretty good so far, it fits thru some tight spots and has been worked pretty hard last year. It just sucks on hills. I think the small tires and being narrow hurt it on hills.

I have a lot of accounts with small gates and it has fit thru all of them so far. Well exept one, he didn't put a gate on and you had to go thru his garage and thru a house door to the back yard. I only visited that property once.lol.

Baytownlawncare
01-21-2011, 07:02 AM
I called my local Scag dealer yesterday and got a quote of $5326 for the fleet pricing event next month. That is almost 1K off the normal price. They told me the V-Ride is the only model that is going to get the fleet pricing. I was considering a Freedom Z but I think the choice is clear now. The dealer told me it is February and February only and will not carry over to March. So if you folks want one better get your funding in place. I was planning on buying some kind of Scag next month anyway so it works perfectly.

oldclawn
01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Be sure you and the dealer are truly on the same page and there's been no mistake! I'm real skeptical of that price. I have a dealers book in my hand and even with minor regional variations that would be below the dealers cost! The fleet program only reimburses the dealer up to 10% of his actual cost so if he gives 20% off list he only gets credited back 10% and few dealers have such great customers that they give machines away at below cost....the program is the same nationwide.

MOHUSTLER
01-21-2011, 03:53 PM
There is no way your dealer is selling them for $5,326 Mabey 6,326. If he is selling that suff that low take advantage of him now cause he will be out of business next year lol.

touhey33
01-21-2011, 04:06 PM
There is no way your dealer is selling them for $5,326 Mabey 6,326. If he is selling that suff that low take advantage of him now cause he will be out of business next year lol.

Is it possible thats the quote for the 36"?

BrunoT
01-21-2011, 06:20 PM
You need to tell us what USE you have for the second mower. Do you need better large area productivity, or is it a need for a machine that can handle hills better than your small rider, or maybe one to do tight spots where turning a rider could cause problems?

I always prefer to have at least one walk behind around for those spots where you need one or for when it's been raining and the riders/stand-ons are too heavy, but if you're willing to deal with not having that then a V-ride would probably be more productive and less fatiguing overall than a walk behind.

The usual route is Big rider, smaller walk/stand-on. You're kind of backwards on that.

Also keep in mind that in terms of pure ground pressure, stand ons are probably not much different than riders (smaller tires in some cases) and some hydro walk behinds weigh quite a bit.

If you go stand-on you might try to find a used gear drive walk behind for under $1,000, just for when you need one.

brandonppr
01-22-2011, 05:13 PM
You need to tell us what USE you have for the second mower. Do you need better large area productivity, or is it a need for a machine that can handle hills better than your small rider, or maybe one to do tight spots where turning a rider could cause problems?

I always prefer to have at least one walk behind around for those spots where you need one or for when it's been raining and the riders/stand-ons are too heavy, but if you're willing to deal with not having that then a V-ride would probably be more productive and less fatiguing overall than a walk behind.

The usual route is Big rider, smaller walk/stand-on. You're kind of backwards on that.

Also keep in mind that in terms of pure ground pressure, stand ons are probably not much different than riders (smaller tires in some cases) and some hydro walk behinds weigh quite a bit.

If you go stand-on you might try to find a used gear drive walk behind for under $1,000, just for when you need one.

Thanks for the advice.

I know I have it backwards :) , but I just started out 2 years ago and wasn't really sure what to go with for my first mower, but I knew I needed to fit in small gates. I have grown over the past 2 years. Last year I had 1 helper, but this year I think I'm going to need to add another so both machines will be used at once. I like the idea of having both pluse a cheap walk behind. I am thinking about adding another truck and trailer and having the 36 freedom z on one and the vride and walk behind on another. The freedom z has handled most things well, but having only a 36" is no fun when you get larger lawns. I think if I do it this way the freedom z should be able to handle the clusters of small lawns I have and I can put the vride and walk behind to better use.

As of now I've decided to get the vride and a cheap wb.

Do you think the Vride is OK to take the place of a ZTR rider?

integrityman
01-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Next weekend is the Ohio Power show in Columbus. I intend to go. I will ask the Scag rep about fleet pricing......stay tuned!

Baytownlawncare
01-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Is it possible thats the quote for the 36"?

Yes it is the 36 inch model. This is the fleet pricing, price. I am going to get one. Need a smaller going through gates model. But they checked and confirmed the price. I have looked around online also and it looks like all models are going to be about 15% off regular price. Not all dealers are going to participate in this offer so look around.

BrunoT
01-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I know I have it backwards :) , but I just started out 2 years ago and wasn't really sure what to go with for my first mower, but I knew I needed to fit in small gates. I have grown over the past 2 years. Last year I had 1 helper, but this year I think I'm going to need to add another so both machines will be used at once. I like the idea of having both pluse a cheap walk behind. I am thinking about adding another truck and trailer and having the 36 freedom z on one and the vride and walk behind on another. The freedom z has handled most things well, but having only a 36" is no fun when you get larger lawns. I think if I do it this way the freedom z should be able to handle the clusters of small lawns I have and I can put the vride and walk behind to better use.

As of now I've decided to get the vride and a cheap wb.

Do you think the Vride is OK to take the place of a ZTR rider?

I think it would be a very versatile machine in the 48" width and able to handle most residential properties. Riders probably hold their value better, outproduce in wide open areas, while a stand-on may turn faster and get into some spots better. Initial cost is probably pretty close. The guts of the thing are the same as a rider. It's really a matter of preference I think.