PDA

View Full Version : Advertising in the Slow winter...

mcoates
01-19-2011, 12:48 PM
I've been in the landscape business for about two years now, basically we clean up overgrown flowerbeds and re-mulch. Just wondering if anyone here can help me out. Last year I did not spend money on advertising because I wasn't sure if anyone would want any work done since it was so cold. Should I advertise during the winter? I thought about cold calling some customers from last year. We need work bad but I'm not sure if I should spend the money. Any help would be appreciated. :usflag:

PLS-Tx
01-19-2011, 01:26 PM
I would wait a couple more weeks, start about Feb 1.

bolc5150
01-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Dude, I know things are tight for everyone even me, but I realized in order to keep people thinking green you gotta keep there attention all year round. After 16 yr. of doing this I finally got on the web. Sounds expensive but it's not. I just finished my site for $400.00. Now, there is monthly maintenance on the site but it's cheap. If youre interested, look at mine and give me a shout and I can hook you up with my web guy. He has about 50 sites he maintains. My site is under my bus. name.

Jb3NH
01-22-2011, 04:34 PM
word of mouth is good, but maybe you might want to consider something like direct marketing. Like Bo said, keep keep your name out there and be the first person folks think about.

Depending on your area most people are more concerned with payin the plow guy than gettin their yards tidy. If i was you, what i'd do it get something together for your spring clean up campaign. It doesn't have to be super expensive.. just get your name out there and be 'the guy'

Smallaxe
01-22-2011, 07:35 PM
word of mouth is good, but maybe you might want to consider something like direct marketing. Like Bo said, keep keep your name out there and be the first person folks think about.

Depending on your area most people are more concerned with payin the plow guy than gettin their yards tidy. If i was you, what i'd do it get something together for your spring clean up campaign. It doesn't have to be super expensive.. just get your name out there and be 'the guy'

Spring cleanup, after a winter of snowplowing, may be an excellent idea. Even advertising it as a 'loss leader' but then making it pay by debri removal... The client is happy to start the spring season with a fresh clean yard, and even if you just break even, selling them a nice overseeding job with a bit of compost to boost the recovery, could work very well... :)