PDA

View Full Version : Help - Keeping Enclosed Trailers Dry

JimLewis
01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
We switched to enclosed trailers this year for all our maintenance crews. And one of the unexpected consequences was during the winter they decks (and walls to a certain extent) get really wet and never seem to dry out. Right now they are totally saturated and looking a little worse each week. We're concerned about eventually wood rot, etc. It's very wet here in Oregon, as you can imagine.

So I need to find a way to protect our decks inside the trailers and maybe the walls too. I was thinking we'd dry them out by emptying the trailers, cleaning the floor, leaving it for a weekend with the door slightly open and the top vent open. Then after a few days if it's still a little wet, we'd put a space heater inside (again with door slightly open and vent cracked) for a few hours to dry it out more. Then once it was dry, we could apply some sort of seal coat on the wood to protect it.

Those were just my initial thoughts. But I'm not the most handy guy around. So I'd love to hear any input or thoughts on what others have done in this situation.

I just want to protect our investment. Your comments, thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Turf Dawg
01-19-2011, 01:10 PM
I just open the front and rear doors. But in you weather that might not work as good. Mine gets wet every time it rains because I cannot keep those plastic roof vents on.

Jason Rose
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Just throw a few thousand of these in each trailer :laugh:

JimLewis
01-19-2011, 01:18 PM
You're a funny guy, Jason. :laugh:

fireman9
01-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I just open the front and rear doors. But in you weather that might not work as good. Mine gets wet every time it rains because I cannot keep those plastic roof vents on.

I got tired of replacing them too and went to something similar to this..
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/ramble-vent-cover-translucent/32000

Photo found on google... not my camper. They let you keep the roof vents open without the rain coming in.

Turf Dawg
01-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Photo found on google... not my camper

Unless it is limb proof I'm going to break it also :laugh::laugh:

fireman9
01-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Unless it is limb proof I'm going to break it also :laugh::laugh:

I've hit lots of limbs and stuff with mine and its held up really well. They tend to slide over the cover going forward nicely, backing up I go slow. I have a yard that has some low hangers I must go under and its lasted for the past 2 years now. They bolt down on all four sides instead of just that flimsy metal piece in the middle.

Southern Elegance
01-19-2011, 02:14 PM
line x or some other brand spray in bed liner. but its gonna cost you

organiclawncanada
01-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Get the Maxxair Vent cover like in the pic above. I used to sell 3-4 to every customer when I was in the RV business. I never heard of any customers having to replace because of hitting tree limbs. It allows you to always keep your roof vent open a little of a lot. A great investment. When I get my enclosed trailer I will put one on. :canadaflag:

Richard Martin
01-19-2011, 05:51 PM

I definately think this is your solution Jim. :clapping:

yardguy28
01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
not an expert on the trailer companys but its my opinion that they shouldn't leak in the first place.

i have an enclosed trailer (cargo express) and they never leak. spring, summer, fall and winter.

when i pressure washed it once some water got in around the seals of the door but that doesn't happen when it rains. snow doesn't get in either.

Richard Martin
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM
not an expert on the trailer companys but its my opinion that they shouldn't leak in the first place.

Yeah... I think he's talking about the moisture coming off of the tires as they run them in and out of the trailer. Remember, their area stays wet for a large part of the year since it rains so often. They're constantly cutting wet grass. I think one time they said they sometimes have to wear rain gear when they're mowing.

djagusch
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Guessing the humidity is making them wet? If so a close them up and get a dehumidifier in them. Running them every third day or whatever keeps them dry.

The problem with paint or linex it only is put on one side. The back side will still collect the humidity in the air.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
01-20-2011, 11:29 AM
I live in the same area as Jim and when I get done on a rainy day, I'll put my trailer in the garage and even the tire tracks going into my garage stay wet for a couple days. I want an enclosed, but my question was always if the equipment would dry out once it GETS wet.
I wonder how stupid it would be to install some kind of bathroom type fan in place of the vent?

PLS-Tx
01-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't know how you guys do it. A couple day of weather like that here drives me nuts. :cry:

ReddensLawnCare
01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
I am toying with the idea of purchasing an enclosed trailer but My question i had is about this given subject. Do you have any problems with the mold and mildew issue? If I had the trailer, it would be locked up with the equipment in it every night in storage and I am worried that will cause mold and mildew. Any help would be great. Thanks!

fireman9
01-20-2011, 01:07 PM

Photo found on google... not my camper. They let you keep the roof vents open without the rain coming in.

There are days that I HAVE to mow in the rain and everything is soaking wet, I've never had a problem since adding the vent covers.They move allot of air through the trailer while driving and allow the vents to be left open while its raining out too. Everything is dry usually the next day or two if its stopped raining out. Ask anyone who has them on an RV.
If you'd want to go with a powered vent fan, yes they are available too.

http://www.rvstuffusa.com/5000r3speedrooffanwithreverseandthermostatbyfantasticvent.html
not recommending this one - just the first one I found on google

AS for mold / mildew never had an issue with the trailer, wet grass stuck to the underside of the deck, well thats another story. I've had my enclosed trailer for a few years now and don't regret it one bit. Everything is ready to go at a moments notice. No wasted time loading up in the mornings, worrying about stuff going missing while at lunch,bank,etc... A nice dry place to run to when your caught in a thunderstorm, and at the end of the day, just unhook and walk away, all your stuff is locked up save and sound waiting for you just as you left it. Simply put the BEST $5000.00 I've ever spent.

fireman9
01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
I do have a set of rain gear stored in the trailer and use it regularly, and a spare change of clothes complete including shoes, socks and underwear. I haven't tried linex but I do have the floor epoxy painted with sand grit mixed in for traction.

JimLewis
01-21-2011, 12:34 AM
I definately think this is your solution Jim. :clapping:

I agree. I'm liking this option best. I'm checking into it.

Southern Elegance
01-22-2011, 02:21 PM
i was gonna have my 16 ft trailer sprayed with line x.. to do the floor, ramp door, and 2 ft up on the wall was gonna cost almost as much as the trailer.. but i know several people who have done it and it works great

M.M.A. Mowing
01-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I coated the inside of mine with 3 coats of oil based porch enamel with sand. Considered using bed liner but that was too pricey, besides with using paint from lowes, it will be a lot easier to touch up.

Lbilawncare
01-22-2011, 04:45 PM
We did what MMA did, but with white walls and black floor. Throw down silica sand when the paint is still wet and it makes a great traction aid. To dry the floor for painting we use carpet drying fans and a (salamander) forced air heater.

SouthSide Cutter
01-22-2011, 07:09 PM
On any camping trailer you have to vent them. If you keep them air tight they sweat. And I would just put Thompsons water seal on all the wood.

mowerbrad
01-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Line-x has some specialty coatings that they designed to be used in other applications than the normal truck beds. I think these would work great for at least the floors of your trailers. It'd be expensive, not too sure of the exact price but for your size trailer shown, I would imagine it would be under $400, or around that price anyway.

As for the walls, have you looked at using something like a Thompson's Waterseal product? There is also a product from MinWax, its a clear coat protective finish. You can get it in a spray can or in the standard gallon paint can and use a brush to apply. I've used the MinWax stuff on various projects and that has worked out very well for me so far.

The previously mentioned roof vent covers will work great and maybe adding a little better caulking around possible leaking areas would be in order.

JimLewis
01-22-2011, 09:15 PM
We did what MMA did, but with white walls and black floor. Throw down silica sand when the paint is still wet and it makes a great traction aid. To dry the floor for painting we use carpet drying fans and a (salamander) forced air heater.

How did you do the sand, MMA. Did you do it the same way?

igotdiesel2
01-22-2011, 10:13 PM
This winter I am in the process of replacing the floor in my enclosed trailer. I went to Sherwin Williams and bought a gallon of their outdoor paint that they mixed wrong. I coated the underside of the new floor boards and ramp boards with that and since I had to take the sides off to get the floor up I might coat those as well. The top of the wood will have a gray paint with the paint chips in it for traction. And after that I will caulk along the floor to wall crack for added protection. -Jason

ReddensLawnCare
01-22-2011, 10:25 PM
That is a lot of extra weight....

yardguy28
01-23-2011, 10:00 AM
That is a lot of extra weight....

seriously??? paint is a lot of extra weight..........??? :hammerhead:

Agape
01-23-2011, 10:27 AM
seriously??? paint is a lot of extra weight..........??? :hammerhead:

yeah, i was thinking water soaked wood was heavy.

yardguy28
01-23-2011, 11:44 AM
yeah, i was thinking water soaked wood was heavy.

water soaked wood is a lot heavier than painting the wood.

i think painting the wood is an excellent idea and if i had moisture problems in my enclosed trailer i wouldn't hesitate to paint it.

certainly wouldn't give it a second thought as far as paint making it heavier. whoever heard of such a stupid thing.........:hammerhead:

Ducke
01-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Take it from a former home builder your problem is as everyone states Moisture from the constant change in temperature and humidity. I would suggest as the others the new roof vent as well as some 1" or 2" round soffit vents along the top edge on the sides. Also maybe drill a drain hole or two at the low end of the trailers floor to help get rid of the extra vapor that might still build up.
Good luck I hope it works out for ya

Graham

M.M.A. Mowing
01-23-2011, 01:50 PM
How did you do the sand, MMA. Did you do it the same way? I just mixed the sand in the paint before applying.
Posted via Mobile Device

T.E.
01-23-2011, 03:05 PM
I just mixed the sand in the paint before applying.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think this way you'd get a more even mix. Now one ? How much sand....say per gallon? :laugh:

Clark Griswold
01-23-2011, 03:36 PM
certainly wouldn't give it a second thought as far as paint making it heavier. whoever heard of such a stupid thing.........:hammerhead:

Not on a little trailer but on a 747 airplane it's about 1200lbs! :hammerhead:

Ducke
01-23-2011, 04:15 PM
why do you think NASCAR stopped painting cars and went to body wrapping their cars weight man every oz counts

Agape
01-23-2011, 05:45 PM

So What The heck am I supposed to do now, Leave my 747 at home??!!!
CRAP!!!

M.M.A. Mowing
01-23-2011, 06:55 PM
I think this way you'd get a more even mix. Now one ? How much sand....say per gallon? :laugh: look @ lowes they have sand made for this and its really fine sand and its like a few ounces for $5 and it will make 2 gallons but I doubled mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

T.E.
01-23-2011, 07:19 PM
look @ lowes they have sand made for this and its really fine sand and its like a few ounces for $5 and it will make 2 gallons but I doubled mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Man!

sedge
01-23-2011, 07:55 PM
We switched to enclosed trailers this year for all our maintenance crews. And one of the unexpected consequences was during the winter they decks (and walls to a certain extent) get really wet and never seem to dry out. Right now they are totally saturated and looking a little worse each week. We're concerned about eventually wood rot, etc. It's very wet here in Oregon, as you can imagine.

So I need to find a way to protect our decks inside the trailers and maybe the walls too. I was thinking we'd dry them out by emptying the trailers, cleaning the floor, leaving it for a weekend with the door slightly open and the top vent open. Then after a few days if it's still a little wet, we'd put a space heater inside (again with door slightly open and vent cracked) for a few hours to dry it out more. Then once it was dry, we could apply some sort of seal coat on the wood to protect it.

Those were just my initial thoughts. But I'm not the most handy guy around. So I'd love to hear any input or thoughts on what others have done in this situation.

I just want to protect our investment. Your comments, thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

I am toying with the idea of purchasing an enclosed trailer but My question i had is about this given subject. Do you have any problems with the mold and mildew issue? If I had the trailer, it would be locked up with the equipment in it every night in storage and I am worried that will cause mold and mildew. Any help would be great. Thanks!

I agree. I'm liking this option best. I'm checking into it.

i was gonna have my 16 ft trailer sprayed with line x.. to do the floor, ramp door, and 2 ft up on the wall was gonna cost almost as much as the trailer.. but i know several people who have done it and it works great

Hang a sack of hydrochloride in it with it closed up, have a small hole cut in the floor with a bucket over the hole and a hose attached to the bucket. make sure the hydrochloride is directly above the bucket. This should solve the problem.

The bed liner will not work as it is damp behind the wood as well. It will just lock in the dampness behind the wood.

Lbilawncare
01-23-2011, 10:11 PM
We typically paint a 4-5 foot section and then throw silica sand onto the surface (like grass seed) We have also mixed the sand with the paint, but found the paint adhered better by itself.

South Florida Lawns
01-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Is it condensation thats forming on the inside? I too would be worried about constant moisture rotting wood and rusting metal.

ReddensLawnCare
01-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Sorry about that guys..i was responding to a different post which was talking about putting a rhino linning in the floor and sides of the trailer...i guess i just put it on the wrong post...im still trying to get used the posting process...o :confused:*trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag*

yardguy28
01-25-2011, 11:05 AM

why do you think NASCAR stopped painting cars and went to body wrapping their cars weight man every oz counts

well since my rig isn't a 747 and i'm not racing the rig around town getting down to the ounces in weight isn't necessary.

painting the walls and floor isn't going to add a significant amount of weight when were talking a truck pulling a trailer full of lawn equipment around town.

mow4cash
02-28-2011, 11:30 PM
So whats the consensus. Mix in the silica sand or throw it on top before the paint drys? Should it also be an oil based enamel paint? I have to do this to my trailer and want to do it right the first time.

M.M.A. Mowing
03-03-2011, 09:25 AM
mix in the sand first, use oilbased porch enamel, put 2 coats on, let dry really well before you put anything on it. its working great in my trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device