PDA

View Full Version : Canceling a yellowbook (feist) directory ad.

Jason Rose
01-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Who here advertizes with them? Who has tried to cancel their ad with them completely? I have a bad feeling they are going to try to screw me and just renew the ad without my consent. The ad rep called me mid december, as always, asking if we could meet up, go over revisions, and sign off on this years ad. I told him I'd rather just remove my ad all together. Well of course he got rude with me and told me he would "let me think about it" and contact me later. Well I don't know when the cut-off date is but I haven't heard back from them yet! Surely they can't legally renew my ad and bill me without my approval, right?

I want to kill the ad because, quite frankly, think it's a big waste in this area. We have the local AT&T book that covers all the area I work in, and I have an ad in that yellowpages. The yellowbook covers a larger area, well outside of where I service. Plus I don't think that many people really grab that book over the AT&T book. Yeah they claim that theirs is always used more, but I call BS on their numbers! Plus it's 2011, most people under about age 40 to 50 look up numbers and businesses online, I know I do. Paying for a print ad buried in a paper book where 40 other services are listed under the same heading is certianly NOT directly targeting anyone.

bohiaa
01-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Sorry to say. But Yes they will try to screw you.

I got involved with them about 4 yrs ago. and I had to threaten a lawsuite if they didn't leave me alone.

there WAY over priced. and it was NOT for us. they would call me about every 3 months or so.
I talke to a Managers, I told the reps, and finley I contaicted the Attorney Generals office,

after the latter, I havent herd from them in about a year now.

If you dont feel confortable DONT DO IT.

johnsonslawnmanagement
01-19-2011, 04:32 PM
You have to sign a new contract ever year., unless you signed a multiple year contract. That's why the rep wants to meet up, to get your John handcock. I canceld mine in December as well. All the calls I got were "tire kickers" or "price checkers" calling ever landscape listing in the book to get a lowball price. Waste of time and money.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jason Rose
01-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Yes it's a year to year contract, I have to sign it each year. But... It's the yellowbook, I was a bit afraid that since I said I wanted to cancel they were going to try to slip my listing back in and bill me anyway. It's not like they don't have signatures from prior years to use. I just didn't know how low they would stoop.

I know well how high pressure they are. I've told myself every year I was going to cut back to just a line on the page and it never fails after an hour of persuasion I end up with a larger ad than the year before! And I'm pretty hard headed and stubborn!

johnsonslawnmanagement
01-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Look up their 800 number on your billing stAtement and make sure it has canceled.
Posted via Mobile Device

Working Man
01-28-2011, 08:43 AM
I just signed up to advertise with yellowbook. Got my first set of proofs. Nothing like what we talked about. I sent in my changes. Didn't hear back for 3 weeks. Called my rep. She said they were working on it still. Called back three weeks later, she said she was going to send them that day. Called my rep a couple days later she said they were really backed up but she'd call me back soon. Called my rep again and asked what was going on. I still hadn't seen my proofs and it's been like 3 months. She told me that they made all the changes that I wanted and the book would be out in Feb. No more changes. I said how do you know if I like the changes. She says well they did what you wanted and I'm sorry I didn't get the proofs back to you we'll put in for a price reduction. $4500 for an ad that I don't even get to see before it goes in the book. I can't wait for the conversation that takes place when the bills start coming. And I thought AT&T were bad.

Working Man
01-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Oh and you should see the little commercial and website they gave me. Lol, I've been fighting to get them to fix that too.

Charles
01-28-2011, 08:59 AM
You have to send them a Certified Letter notification of cancellation before their deadline.

Jason Rose
01-28-2011, 09:10 AM
The rep actually called me yesterday but I'm not in town... Hopefully we will meet up and I can get it cancelled. Fingers crossed!
Posted via Mobile Device

walker-talker
01-28-2011, 04:08 PM
There must be a seperate one for Hutch because the one here has already been printed. I think it was printed in November.

Jason Rose
01-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Well the guy from yellowbook just left. It was a NIGHTMARE convincing the guy I just wanted to CANCEL! He just kept preaching how it's the more used book and how I'm going to loose calls.

My problem with it is that I don't want to be advertizing over a large area. I only want to advertize for the city I live in, period. I don't do mowing where I have to drive 20, 30, 40 minutes away, ever. Getting calls from surrounding towns just means I have to waste my time answering the call so that I can then tell them "sorry I don't do work outside of the area I live in". Since that's the case it's not even smart for me to have an ad with an "area-wide" directory.

The only thing that sucks is that I won't have ANY listing in the white pages now. The AT&T directoy will NOT list a mobile phone number in their white pages (which is all I have) so I am in the yellow pages only with them. The the Feist I at least had my business name in the white pages, but they also wouldn't list my own name with phone number in the white pages.

I guess I'll see what happens. I honestly don't think this is going to hurt me. As it is I'd say that 90% of the calls I get from either phone directory are either out of my service area, tire kickers, or just jobs I have no desire to do in the first place. You know the kind, the ones that haven't mowed in a month and need it done today because the city sent them a letter... That's NOT my target clientel!

I'd be much better benifited by spending the money saved on direct mail post cards targeting only the areas of town I already work in. That is if I actually need more lawns this year. As it stands now I was maxed out last year. I was somewhat ok with one helper but when they were missing I was in big trouble. Taking on MORE work is getting to be detrimental to me and the service I'm providing. Hiring more help would be great if I could find someone that is willing to stick around.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Did an ad with them like year 3 concluded it did nothing and planned on letting it go. Then comes the call from my "new rep" and she will hear none of it I tell her we won't be renewing and that wasn't acceptable to her and she demanded a meeting I reluctantly agreed. So she shows up around 9 am and goes a few rounds with me I feel I got nothing to lose since I am not going to buy so I am finding this quite amusing. I let her establish a few points then pull the rug out from her and then let her try again so she thinks she's gaining ground when in walks my partner Lou her heart just sank knowing she had to do the whole proposal again. Course Lou was right on time I knew he would be there at that time. So now she's getting hit from 2 sides with objections she gets so mad she stands grabs her contract she now knows were never going to sign and tears it up and huffs and storms out LOL. And that was the end of my yellow book advertising .