PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

Gould's Lawncare
01-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Fellow Mowers,

I am looking for advice. I want to start a small mowing business. I have little money to start up. How do I compete with other co's out there? I mean i want some yards that are pretty big but i don't want to push them with a 21" mower. I hate to go finance a bunch of equipment with no clients yet. How do you know when the right time is for that step? Any advice you can offer on any aspect of the business will greatly be appreciated !!

Thanks!

lawnpro724
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
First of all what equipment do you have now? How much money do you have access to purchase equipment? Your not going to compete with the big boy's with no money, no experience and a 21" mower. You need to be more realistic. I'm not saying you can't get into this business but you need to plan out what you want and how your going to go about it.

The time to start is Now if your doing it this year. You should already have your market strategy figured out and be ready to implement it soon.

Mountain Peak
01-19-2011, 04:14 PM
You need to start this business like you would any other. Actually write down what you are trying to do. Are you trying to mow a couple neighbors yards for extra cash? Are you looking to have a fleet of mowing crews running around? Each scenario has different entry levels. It's hard to give you too much advise when the main goal is not known.
I started by buying a used 36 inch John Deer walk behind, a trimmer and blower and off I went. As I grew and wanted different yards I added equipment as I needed it to stay efficient.

oldclawn
01-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Everyone thinks it's so easy to just buy a mower and be a business.....if only it were so easy!
If he has to ask this question here then perhaps he should consider working for a larger, well established crew for a season or 2 to really get a good viewpoint of what all is involved. Formulating some sort of business plan with some experience under your belt will be a lot easier and more realistic.

Gould's Lawncare
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks for being honest with me all of you guys that replied. I have fliers made up and have neighbor hoods scouted out and am waiting to distribute them in March. I have researched equipment and have an idea of what i want to purchase. I am looking to make about $250.00-$300.00 a week as a goal i have set. I am currently trying to sell my Harley to help me fund my venture. But like everything else in America it's hard to sell. I have a troybilt trimmer and a huscvarna back pack blower. I want to purchase a 52" Scag Freedom Z zero turn and an 8' to 10' trailer but those are big investments for me right now and hard to pull the trigger on with no established clients. I know a lot of you guys think that "Oh boy we got another one" but with the current job i have during the day it doesn't show much signs of improvement as far as money making abilities so that is why i am trying to make some extra to supplement my income. My schedule is also very accomodating for me to do this and take on as much or as little as I want. As far as having a couple crews I really don't think that is for me atleast not currently. Thanks again for your honesty and would gladly take anymore advice if you are willing to give !!

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Most people started wit ha G-Sale Crapsman push.

you will have to go after friends and family. and from there Build.

Microsoft Started with 1 person in a Garage

coolluv
01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Everyone thinks it's so easy to just buy a mower and be a business.....if only it were so easy!
If he has to ask this question here then perhaps he should consider working for a larger, well established crew for a season or 2 to really get a good viewpoint of what all is involved. Formulating some sort of business plan with some experience under your belt will be a lot easier and more realistic.

You mean its not that easy? I don't want to work for the Man anymore so off to Home Depot to pick up my equipment.

If you notice this site is getting more and more eyes on it. I look at how many are viewing and I see the numbers rising everyday. The closer we get to spring the more eyes will be here.

Come on in guys what's a few Million more in an already overly overly overly overly saturated market.

Did I mention that this business is saturated with lawn guys?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gotta Love It.

Dave...

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 04:53 PM
You mean its not that easy? I don't want to work for the Man anymore so off to Home Depot to pick up my equipment.

If you notice this site is getting more and more eyes on it. I look at how many are viewing and I see the numbers rising everyday. The closer we get to spring the more eyes will be here.

Come on in guys what's a few Million more in an already overly overly overly overly saturated market.

Did I mention that this business is saturated with lawn guys?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gotta Love It.

Dave...

it's the only Business I know of where you can make money in the 1st hour.

hell Ev1 has a mower

TNGrassCutter
01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Take into consideration the costs of licensing and insurance if you don't already have it. Which you will need both to be legal and then you won't have much of a problem wth anyone on this board site and they will be more likely to help.

Jpocket
01-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Gotta Love It.

Dave...

Yup you are so right. For every 10 people on here theres 20 more that probably never post, but they are able to view 90% of the info.