PDA

View Full Version : Late paying customer...

sandy creek
01-19-2011, 07:38 PM
I got a small condo building and they had fallen way back on thier payments. When Dec. 31 got here and I still had not recieved Nov. check I quit cutting and started trying to get someone on the phone. After several failed attempts and me leaving messages with no returned calls a check shows up in the mail paying for Nov. Problem is its Jan. 19th and thier Dec bill is due now but they didn't send that money. In the 3 years I've been in business for myself doing this I suprisingly have never had this situation. How would you handle it? Still not cut until they are current, try to make contact by phone again? Any suggestions are well recieved.

gasracer
01-19-2011, 07:40 PM
I would start with a certified letter explaining the situation.

jonathanone
01-20-2011, 07:35 AM
If you dropped the account how many others would be standing in line to pick it up, at least a dozen I bet AND nearly all would be firefighters who can -afford- to wait; the sad fact is that the slow dollars are still better than no dollars, alot better. And, if you are only waiting 60-90 days you are really doing pretty good . Boys : hang on to your shorts because we ain't seen nuttin yet.

Hook and Ladder
01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Yep I would be one of those firefighters (dirtbags)- here is what you do because I have run across this several times already and it can be a burden.

Certified letter explaining nice/tactfully that the bill is over-due and you could even throw in here the new year is here and you are wrapping up your taxes. Depending how much they owe you - another route would be a small claims court after the certified letter and numerous attempts. Just remember document all conversations and attempts to make contact. Did you have them sign any contracts or was this word of mouth. Verbal contracts are binding as well as I am assuming this is a monthly mow/blow/go deal. Someone mentioned having the worry of another company sliding in. What it is worth to you? The headaches and feeling of working for free OR letting it go for someone else to deal with-

Good luck and welcome to being a contractor

jonathanone
01-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Not a dirtbag by anymeans brother, but if seconds matter why don't you sit in the truck and wait for the alarm to go off-rather than tuck in for the night, get yourself all refreshed and then go out and take work from those who don't do this for a hobby.
Serious queston.

gasracer
01-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Not a dirtbag by anymeans brother, but if seconds matter why don't you sit in the truck waiting for the alarm to go off-rather than tuck in for the night, get yourself all refreshed and then go out and take work from those who don't do this for a hobby.
Serious queston.

That did not have anything to do with the original post or did I miss something?*trucewhiteflag*

Hook and Ladder
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
I didn't realize working year round landscaping on my off days was a hobby. If that's the case someone get me a ball peen hammer and beat me in the head with it- I will try another new hobby.

yardguy28
01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
i personally would make a phone call or send a letter and keep there service suspended until the issue is resolved.

dropping accounts is not an option in my business unless absolutely necessary.

Mountain Peak
01-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Is there an office you can go to? A property management office or something? Where does the check come from?
I had a HOA do this a few years ago, couldn't get a straight answer from anyone. I finally stopped service and got a hold of their accountant. Turns out they were out of money and had to go ask the subdivision for more money.
A new property management company took over and they asked me to stay, I said no and moved on, after I received my check for payment in full.
It was a good lesson on chasing money.

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 02:18 PM
trying to do this part time, you will have incounters like this.
People " Customers " will find out that your NOT a Businessman, and that your NOT set up to deal with REAL WORLD issues, in Business.

expect to get screwed and screwed offten, it's Companys like you that make it hard on all of us.

Personaly I would revied my Contract, then send out late notices, then have them in court.
Your Accountaint can do this with no problem.

If you havent noticed some of us dont like it that your out there taking food from our children's mouth.
GO back to fighting fires and leave us alone

MarcSmith
01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
If you havent noticed some of us dont like it that your out there taking food from our children's mouth.
GO back to fighting fires and leave us alone And how about when the firefighter goes into a burning building to save someone and doesn't come home to see his own children... Its not like being a fireman, police officer or other public "servant" makes them millions...

but to the OP. HOA's can be a PITA since they need to collect dues from the homeowners to pay bills. if the HO's are late in paying their dues then you are late in getting paid. As others have said I would not not be too quick to drop em. since slow money is better than no money..but if you want to be paid on time send them a final notice and move on to the next customer.. What does your contract say about late payments?

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 02:53 PM
And how about when the firefighter goes into a burning building to save someone and doesn't come home to see his own children... Its not like being a fireman, police officer or other public "servant" makes them millions...

but to the OP. HOA's can be a PITA since they need to collect dues from the homeowners to pay bills. if the HO's are late in paying their dues then you are late in getting paid. As others have said I would not not be too quick to drop em. since slow money is better than no money..but if you want to be paid on time send them a final notice and move on to the next customer.. What does your contract say about late payments?

LMAO. yes thke this guy's advice. Keep working for free.

tree_hugger
01-20-2011, 02:58 PM
once your account is past due i add a 10% late charge and it compounds every month that there is a balance left on the account. i state that in all my contracts and ive only had to charge someone once. i mainly do commercial accounts and i never have a problem.

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 03:05 PM
once your account is past due i add a 10% late charge and it compounds every month that there is a balance left on the account. i state that in all my contracts and ive only had to charge someone once. i mainly do commercial accounts and i never have a problem.

Cant do 10% it's against the law.

it's set daily by the feds. you can be safe to do 3%.

NOW. your saying my utilitys charge 10%. RIGHT they can you cant.

We charge 3%, a Bank fee. " this is someone that has to go to the bank."

We Only go once a month. so I have to pay some one to go make a bank run.

this is where u can get the other 7%.

Becarefull of what you post. I kno a Friend of mine monitors this site.

He's an autitor for the IRS.

tree_hugger
01-20-2011, 03:13 PM
like i said i did it once and it did the trick, its more of a scare tactic then anything but the way i look at it, not only do i do great work but all of my "bosses" are my friends also so they all make sure i get paid on time. its always good to make friends with them, never know when you mite need a favor.

tree_hugger
01-20-2011, 03:14 PM
thats just what we need the irs monitoring this site...what a joke...i pay all my taxes so leave me the hill alone...lol

MarcSmith
01-20-2011, 03:20 PM
LMAO. yes thke this guy's advice. Keep working for free.
where did I say work for free. Bo...

When times are tough sometimes you gotta suck it up and deal with the slow payers. I'd rather have 100% of my money 60 days late. than NO money.

Yes Sometimes you gotta bust balls drop the hammer and kick people to the curb when they continually take advantage of you and string your payments along. I dealt with it on a case by case basis.... Commercial and HOA's had 60 day terms and resis had 45...I had a few corporate Comm accounts that occasion went to 90 days, but I always got my money. But I was doing this when folks had money and gas was cheap...

and depending on the OP's situation...if its a profitable contract it may be worth it to assess your late fees and wait for the money...however if you are running your business so close to the edge that one clients slow pay puts you in a bind, then you are not keeping enough cash reserves in place.

If you decide to renew them keep this in mind maybe maybe jack the price a bit to cover the lateness. IE make it worth it to YOU.

fiveoboy01
01-20-2011, 03:21 PM

First off, the OP wasn't the firefighter. Learn to read. Nowhere does the OP say he's a part timer, and if he is, he's not taking food from your mouth.

Secondly, your threats are immature and stupid.

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 03:21 PM
thats just what we need the irs monitoring this site...what a joke...i pay all my taxes so leave me the hill alone...lol

they monitor most sites. it more at the state level, but state level is worse the the feds.

once u start pushing 2 to 3 million people DONT LIKE IT

tree_hugger
01-20-2011, 03:26 PM
well i cross all mt T's and dot all my I's so i should be good

best thing is to have a good relationship with your customers. you should be able to call them by their first name and have their cell phone number. if they know you have their best interest in mind you want have problems getting paid

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 03:30 PM
where did I say work for free. Bo...

When times are tough sometimes you gotta suck it up and deal with the slow payers. I'd rather have 100% of my money 60 days late. than NO money.

Yes Sometimes you gotta bust balls drop the hammer and kick people to the curb when they continually take advantage of you and string your payments along. I dealt with it on a case by case basis.... Commercial and HOA's had 60 day terms and resis had 45...I had a few corporate Comm accounts that occasion went to 90 days, but I always got my money. But I was doing this when folks had money and gas was cheap...

and depending on the OP's situation...if its a profitable contract it may be worth it to assess your late fees and wait for the money...however if you are running your business so close to the edge that one clients slow pay puts you in a bind, then you are not keeping enough cash reserves in place.

If you decide to renew them keep this in mind maybe maybe jack the price a bit to cover the lateness. IE make it worth it to YOU.

When you dont get paid you work for free. it depends on your company structure. If your a small solo operator and want to stay that way, then it's hard to sit on that money. But it should be stated in cantract, if you have no contract, then they will pay when they get good and ready. there's no way I would work with out a contract. too many business failing these days.

in fact we stopped all state contracts. not sure if you were around in the 80's when the feds put a freese on all contractors. we nearly had to eat out shirts. wh had to work " as well as others " for 7 months with out getting paid. this caused several Business to go under.

My family owns several appartment buldings, sometimes when this happens one owner will go under and the little guy get's screwed. of corse a new owner will purchase the building's and your out.

But if your wanting to stay small, and solo this is what you will haveto put up with. I kno thereare several of you out there that this is OK.
But it's NOT the way Business works.

remember: if you have to sue. your time is limited.

MarcSmith
01-20-2011, 03:49 PM
there's no way I would work with out a contract.

But if your wanting to stay small, and solo this is what you will haveto put up with. I kno thereare several of you out there that this is OK.
But it's NOT the way Business works.

remember: if you have to sue. your time is limited.

With ya on "no contract no work" I lost many potential client when I put a one page agreement in front of them. Protection works both ways.

Never did any gov't work. most of its low bid anyhow...not worth the time or effort like you said the waiting... Hoa's seem to float around in their own little world...and while I was not big, I had 3 rigs running, I was a bit more than a solo op, so one or two slow payers were not the end of the world..I had one guy, NJPD retired...he was one of 10 homes in a row that I did...his wife died he got diagnosed with cancer and he got 6 months behind, and I finally had to cut him off. He got pissed beyond belief but yet he never once asked his kids to cut the grass with the push mower in his garage..He finally paid me, but there is a point when you have to say no more..

Personally I would not be a sub contractor for Georgetown (my current employer). I'm lucky if I can get my subs paid in under 60 days. But most of them are large companies and understand the speed of bureaucracy and they know that Georgetown is not in any risk of filing chapter 11

small claims is not limited time as much as placing a lien. in some cases liens must be filed within 60 days of when the WORK was last done. Court was never fun, but again as long as your contract spells it all out...you can get all you money and time back..

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 04:02 PM
With ya on "no contract no work" I lost many potential client when I put a one page agreement in front of them. Protection works both ways.

Never did any gov't work. most of its low bid anyhow...not worth the time or effort like you said the waiting... Hoa's seem to float around in their own little world...and while I was not big, I had 3 rigs running, I was a bit more than a solo op, so one or two slow payers were not the end of the world..I had one guy, NJPD retired...he was one of 10 homes in a row that I did...his wife died he got diagnosed with cancer and he got 6 months behind, and I finally had to cut him off. He got pissed beyond belief but yet he never once asked his kids to cut the grass with the push mower in his garage..He finally paid me, but there is a point when you have to say no more..

Personally I would not be a sub contractor for Georgetown (my current employer). I'm lucky if I can get my subs paid in under 60 days. But most of them are large companies and understand the speed of bureaucracy and they know that Georgetown is not in any risk of filing chapter 11

small claims is not limited time as much as placing a lien. in some cases liens must be filed within 60 days of when the WORK was last done. Court was never fun, but again as long as your contract spells it all out...you can get all you money and time back..

yea, there again, it's how your structured, where your going and where u want to go. GOD I hate court. I hate taking someone there. and as you know, ya cant make em pay.

there's always exzamples, hell I have a ton of I knew this guy, I simply structured my comapny as the BEST. <-- notice the period
when it comes to things like slow payers. there outta here, I simply dont have the time. and besides we turn down people starting in April, were swamped.
We useually inform Pot. Customers they can get the kid down the street with a push mower, We are VERY expensive and there's a reason for that.

in the begainning, when we have a NO payer, we would cancel and go our way, there's no point in throwing good money after bad.

also in our area we know all the landscapers, We have a Black book database of people who have done us wrong. it's not for the public it's ours. there is only about 12 of us, that have access to it.

sometimes you will spend 4 to 7 days trying to get paid. do you know how Valuiable 7 days are.....? it's not worth it.

the customer you had that didn't pay for 6 months. NO WAY.
not sure how it is there. But here we have to pay taxes on that money.
COLLECTED OR NOT.

John deer Z
01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
i have a customer that i have had for 4 years. they usually pay about 2 or third mowing. But i have a mowing right now Jan.19 that has not been payed from October 4 !!!! That is accessive. Have left messeages and sent bills and late statements still no responce. So looks like i will halft to eat the mowing.
And loose the customer.

yardguy28
01-20-2011, 05:35 PM

are you a lawyer on the side? i know i'm not but i do know plenty of people who use 5% all the way up to 25% for late fees and returned checks.

i guess i better make a few phone calls because some people are breaking the law..............:hammerhead:

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 07:19 PM
are you a lawyer on the side? i know i'm not but i do know plenty of people who use 5% all the way up to 25% for late fees and returned checks.

i guess i better make a few phone calls because some people are breaking the law..............:hammerhead:

No I'm a business owner, But I do have two lawyers on the payroll.

25% late fee... Ummm Ok :confused:

yardguy28
01-21-2011, 10:10 AM
No I'm a business owner, But I do have two lawyers on the payroll.

25% late fee... Ummm Ok :confused:

just stating what i know and have been told by others.

i personally don't use late fees. after 15 days the invoice is considered late and service automatically stops. after 30 days you receive a final notice giving you 15 days to pay the balance or make contact with me. after that i turn your information over to the collection agency i use.

people who don't pay there invoices certainly aren't gonna pay them when there is a late fee attached. most people who don't pay there invoices never intended to in the first place. thats why i turn over all and any amounts that aren't paid. as little as $5. people who hire someone to do a service with no intention of ever paying need to be taught they can't get away with that. no matter how small of business they hire.

ShooterK2
01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
I got a small condo building and they had fallen way back on thier payments. When Dec. 31 got here and I still had not recieved Nov. check I quit cutting and started trying to get someone on the phone. After several failed attempts and me leaving messages with no returned calls a check shows up in the mail paying for Nov. Problem is its Jan. 19th and thier Dec bill is due now but they didn't send that money. In the 3 years I've been in business for myself doing this I suprisingly have never had this situation. How would you handle it? Still not cut until they are current, try to make contact by phone again? Any suggestions are well recieved.

If you can't afford to let them stay a few weeks behind, then I'd stop cutting it until they pay, and then have a talk with SOMEBODY (whoever is in charge) and see if that's how it will always be. If you need to be paid sooner, it may be best to let this one go and fill that spot with another customer that pays on time.

It sounds like they aren't very dependable, as far as paying goes, so be careful if you do keep the account.
Not a dirtbag by anymeans brother, but if seconds matter why don't you sit in the truck and wait for the alarm to go off-rather than tuck in for the night, get yourself all refreshed and then go out and take work from those who don't do this for a hobby.
Serious queston.

This is a brilliant idea!! I'm sure fire stations everywhere will adopt this new policy, now that you have posted it in public for everyone to see!

GO back to fighting fires and leave us alone

So, Bohiaa, do you think that, when you first got started in this business, others thought you were "taking food from our children's mouth"? Did you care? Obviously not, since you are still doing this, right?

What difference does it make if a person is part time or full time at this? It's all competition, right?

Hook and Ladder
01-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Oh boy I just had time to catch up and read all this. I didn't realize I was stealing food from your childrens mouths all the way over in Texas. If you and others are hurting due to my initiative to go out and aggressively continue to build my business- maybe less time on the forums boo hooing and more time in the streets would help a little. Plus being the "businessman" you proclaim to be, you of all people should understand the nature of business and the competition of it all. Its how America works- I can empathize with you in having a fly by night guy stealing your thunder by low balling but if you do quality and professional work there should be no problems. With my experience even if you lose them they will come back after being burnt. Then again its the beauty of competition in business. I am strictly a residential guy who covers pretty much every aspects of landscaping and have been doing it for quite sometime.

To top this off I even sent you a PM earlier today looking for a well seasoned veterans advice on advancing to commercial accounts. If I saw this prior to sending it, there would have been no need to inquire because I would have lost all respect for you and your opinions.

Hook and Ladder
01-21-2011, 11:28 PM
If you can't afford to let them stay a few weeks behind, then I'd stop cutting it until they pay, and then have a talk with SOMEBODY (whoever is in charge) and see if that's how it will always be. If you need to be paid sooner, it may be best to let this one go and fill that spot with another customer that pays on time.

It sounds like they aren't very dependable, as far as paying goes, so be careful if you do keep the account.

This is a brilliant idea!! I'm sure fire stations everywhere will adopt this new policy, now that you have posted it in public for everyone to see!

So, Bohiaa, do you think that, when you first got started in this business, others thought you were "taking food from our children's mouth"? Did you care? Obviously not, since you are still doing this, right?

What difference does it make if a person is part time or full time at this? It's all competition, right?

Usually guys like this are either spoiled rotten growing up or forgot completely where they came from. Eh- whatever. Onward and upward to run Bohiaas out of business from across the country.

ShooterK2
01-21-2011, 11:40 PM
That's the spirit Hook! I have several friends who are firefighters (constantly trying to recruit me), and one of them runs a lawn care business on the side. I've never even once figured that he was out "stealing food from my childrens' mouth". He is just an honest guy trying to make an honest living, just like I am.

Oh, and if you need any help with all those Texas accounts, just holler. I'm closer than you are.......

BrunoT
01-22-2011, 12:39 AM
You're just not waiting long enough for your money, that's all!
Keep servicing it and let them know they have until 2025 to pay up. You should definitely be able to keep the account that way.

jonathanone
01-22-2011, 10:27 AM
So a crew ready truck will NOT arrive at EVERY scene many, many, many, many seconds before a squad that is fast asleep on duty ??

mdvaden
01-22-2011, 10:34 AM
I have never understood why companies let themselves get in a position where they are talking about late payments (plural) with an "s", when the scenerio should never continue past the singular "late payment".

:)

ShooterK2
01-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Look man, do you think that you are the only person that has ever thought of this? I'm pretty sure that, if my house was on fire, I'd want a crew of ready-to-work firemen to arrive a few seconds later, as opposed to a crew of zombies who have had zero sleep and were lucky to even get there without wrecking the truck.

Are we seriously having this discussion? Somebody slap me......PLEEZE!
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
01-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Mdvaden, if you do much commercial work, you'll find that they pay on a schedule. And it usually isn't a WEEKLY schedule, or even a PER MOW schedule. Now, knowing this, somebody is going to do the mowing for them. It's up to you to decide if you want that person to be you or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

JayD
01-22-2011, 10:48 AM
It really does not matter how many customers you have, if its 10 or 500. When you do work for some one then you deserve to be paid in a timely manner. When or if you work for some one, what or how would you feel if at pay day, they tell you that they cant pay you this week and this goes on for a few more weeks, what do you do about it?:walking:
You move on and work for some one who does pay you.

This past year of learning the hard way is over....:hammerhead:.I am fed up with people paying 3 months late. I had one even scam me by telling me that when she was starting to get behind that everything would be all right, its just that the IRS had a tax Levy or something like that tieing up her money and it would be all straightened out in 30 days. She asked me to keep mowing. Then that time came and went and still no pay. I send her a cert. letter giving her another 20 plus days and she calls and says...."well, I was going to pay you, but I'm going to file for bankruptcy,so I will just go ahead and add you to the list"....Truth is, she never had any intentions on paying me, she was just out to get free service. That was September 1st when she told me about the filing and to this day she has not filed.....I looked at putting a lien on her property only to find out that she was a renter. Then I looked at small claims, and found out that even when you win your case, they don't enforce it. Then there is collections, do you really think the people care about collections giving them a bad report, they can care less...These people all know how to play the system and they are doing it.....:nono:

This year starts a new billing system....We e-mail invoices out on the first of every month and its due by the 15Th or service stops. This way I am trusting them for the first two weeks and they are trusting me for the last two weeks. If service stops because of non payment and starts back a few weeks later, there will be a dbl cut charge if grass is high. This way they don't get behind any more, and the most they can get me for is two cuts.....:walking:

I know times are hard, but its hard for all of us so the lawn guy should not have to the one who absorbs it......

FED UP!

gasracer
01-22-2011, 11:03 AM
It really does not matter how many customers you have, if its 10 or 500. When you do work for some one then you deserve to be paid in a timely manner. When or if you work for some one, what or how would you feel if at pay day, they tell you that they cant pay you this week and this goes on for a few more weeks, what do you do about it?:walking:
You move on and work for some one who does pay you.

This past year of learning the hard way is over....:hammerhead:.I am fed up with people paying 3 months late. I had one even scam me by telling me that when she was starting to get behind that everything would be all right, its just that the IRS had a tax Levy or something like that tieing up her money and it would be all straightened out in 30 days. She asked me to keep mowing. Then that time came and went and still no pay. I send her a cert. letter giving her another 20 plus days and she calls and says...."well, I was going to pay you, but I'm going to file for bankruptcy,so I will just go ahead and add you to the list"....Truth is, she never had any intentions on paying me, she was just out to get free service. That was September 1st when she told me about the filing and to this day she has not filed.....I looked at putting a lien on her property only to find out that she was a renter. Then I looked at small claims, and found out that even when you win your case, they don't enforce it. Then there is collections, do you really think the people care about collections giving them a bad report, they can care less...These people all know how to play the system and they are doing it.....:nono:

This year starts a new billing system....We e-mail invoices out on the first of every month and its due by the 15Th or service stops. This way I am trusting them for the first two weeks and they are trusting me for the last two weeks. If service stops because of non payment and starts back a few weeks later, there will be a dbl cut charge if grass is high. This way they don't get behind any more, and the most they can get me for is two cuts.....:walking:

I know times are hard, but its hard for all of us so the lawn guy should not have to the one who absorbs it......

FED UP!

If you can't contact the landowner and get anything done I would just write it off on taxes and be done with it.

JayD
01-22-2011, 11:15 AM
If you can't contact the landowner and get anything done I would just write it off on taxes and be done with it.

Yeah, I have put it behind me although I cant help to get a little pissed when I think of it. What I have heard, in order to claim it as lost/unpaid money, you have to file a claim and that was like $80 to file so why add to it. I could be wrong though....

gasracer
01-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I have put it behind me although I cant help to get a little pissed when I think of it. What I have heard, in order to claim it as lost/unpaid money, you have to file a claim and that was like $80 to file so why add to it. I could be wrong though....

If you send certified letters and show a effort to collect is all you need.

JayD
01-22-2011, 11:38 AM
another note......

Some one on here was talking about adding late fees>>>>>I used to do work for a Red Lobster and it seemed like every year or so they would bring in another new gen manager and here we go again. They wanted you to give them the monthly invoice and after two managers check it, they would forward it on to Orlando for corp to pay. One year the new manager was such of a klutz, my payments were coming one - two months late. One time I had to resend the manger my invoice 3 times, with the last one the third one one day after the second one,he said they lost it, what the heck? So I added a late fee only to be laughed at and not paid because it was not in my contract.....OK, I said, the next year by God it was put in there and guess what? Not only was the whole next year was paid on time, but they even paid before the due date...

Sooooooo, the reason I am saying this is because yes, it will in most cases make a difference in getting paid....

....and just so you know, I lost that account a year later when they brought in yet another regional manager and he brought some comp in that does the all around here. I have to be honest, their lawn and landscaping looked like crap all year long....I hope they can see what they got with the new comp.....More then likely, they got a lower price, but as they say, you get what you pay for...

It used to be up to the general manager of the store to pick who they wanted....but really, the place looks like crap, no pruning done all year, trash everywhere just to mention a few...

JayD
01-22-2011, 11:40 AM
If you send certified letters and show a effort to collect is all you need.

Oh thank you, I did not know that,,,,i will try that....

Bob_n_weave
01-22-2011, 12:51 PM
I bill every 2 weeks with due date 10 days after invoice. If no payment by due date I call customer. If no payment after 4 cuts I stop mowing until I get paid. Im not going to get screwed for more that 4 cuts.

If grass is over grown :nono: when I resume mowing I charge accordingly.

I dropped 8 customers last year for slow pay. Im not chasing my money, I don't want those customers.

If your doing Commercial accounts ALWAYS get Corporate contact info for billing purposes just in case the manager your dealing with decides he is not going to pay you.

yardguy28
01-22-2011, 01:47 PM
I have never understood why companies let themselves get in a position where they are talking about late payments (plural) with an "s", when the scenerio should never continue past the singular "late payment".

:)

some people understand hardships and that not everything is financially sound all the time.

late payments i can put up with. no payment is a different story.

with late payments your still getting your money. and purhaps you shouldn't be in business if you can't go a few weeks or months without seeing the money.

as a business you should have enough saved up to support the business and yourself that you don't need every single client to pay on time every single time.

this is one thing i can not do myself. i do not report the money from non payers because i would be paying taxes on it. therefore i can not write it off.

the only money reported as income is the money i actually received and put into my bank account.

to write it off you have to report it as income, which means you pay taxes on that income that you didn't receive in the first place.

Gould's Lawncare
01-23-2011, 07:59 PM
You guys should consider that the guy might be trying to make extra cash because maybe he has child support or alimony to pay. He might be trying to have a few bucks to spend on HIS kids or help feed them. I don't think he is going out and stealing business right out from under you. I understand that there are so many people out there doing this, me included. Chill and relax a lil bit. I thought this site would be more positive but so far i see a lot of negativity. But maybe the economy has a lot to do with it too i dunno. Good luck to ALL !!

tree_hugger
01-23-2011, 08:10 PM
another note......

Some one on here was talking about adding late fees>>>>>I used to do work for a Red Lobster and it seemed like every year or so they would bring in another new gen manager and here we go again. They wanted you to give them the monthly invoice and after two managers check it, they would forward it on to Orlando for corp to pay. One year the new manager was such of a klutz, my payments were coming one - two months late. One time I had to resend the manger my invoice 3 times, with the last one the third one one day after the second one,he said they lost it, what the heck? So I added a late fee only to be laughed at and not paid because it was not in my contract.....OK, I said, the next year by God it was put in there and guess what? Not only was the whole next year was paid on time, but they even paid before the due date...

Sooooooo, the reason I am saying this is because yes, it will in most cases make a difference in getting paid....

....and just so you know, I lost that account a year later when they brought in yet another regional manager and he brought some comp in that does the all around here. I have to be honest, their lawn and landscaping looked like crap all year long....I hope they can see what they got with the new comp.....More then likely, they got a lower price, but as they say, you get what you pay for...

It used to be up to the general manager of the store to pick who they wanted....but really, the place looks like crap, no pruning done all year, trash everywhere just to mention a few...

i agree totally..i also work for Darden(company that owns Red Lobster) and i never have been paid late. but ive been with Darden for 6 years now so i guess i have seniority

Lurch01
01-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Brother, I am in property Management and I have late fees for everything. I would simply send them a letter every month that there is a $25.00 dollar late fee followed for $5.00 each additional day. If that don't work, Take them to small claims court for theft of services. They see you as a small ant. Show them you are a LION and they will pay.

JayD
01-23-2011, 09:25 PM
i agree totally..i also work for Darden(company that owns Red Lobster) and i never have been paid late. but ive been with Darden for 6 years now so i guess i have seniority

I do not think that it was the corp. office, it was the gen manager at the store. I would mail them their invoice and he would lose it, well thats what he told me anyway. If the invoice was turned into the corp office in Orlando late, i would have to wait a few more weeks before they would cut a check. I got so tired of it and added a late fee but they would not pay it because it was not in the contract. So the next year I redid the contract spelling out late fees....I even hand delivered the invoice to them every month and had another paper for them to sign showing that they got my invoice...LOL, That year there was not a single late payment all year... He could not do his job right.....The only thing he new how to do was boss the waitress's around and ACT like BIG DADDY....He was one of those guys who gets a position like a manager and the power gos right to his head... he took over the one I had been doing for three years around June. He was always trying to acted big to me LOL, and every time I would bring up something to his attention, he would say, yeah, I have already taken care of that when he clearly had no ideal what so ever....The next year, they start having a big problem with water standing on the front lawn and I tried to tell him about it and he just said, oh, its because we have had a lot of rain....I thought BS.....It was so bad that I could not even get a walk behind on it..we had to weed Wac the whole front....Kept telling him that he has busted water lines, would not listen....This went on all year...He finally got some one out there to check it out and it turns out that he has busted lines to his sprinkler system. So he gets the front part repaired and had all the back and side shut off because he did not want to fix it...Well, of course we had no rain and it all died, looked like crap. Anyway, I asked him did he have it winterized, and he says, you know anyone who does that? That told me right there that this hot shot big daddy gen manager did not even know to have that done before last winter, so there is why lines frozen and busted...

resp065
03-12-2012, 11:43 AM
I saw someone posted slow dollars are better than no dollars... So not true there comes a point in which I learned the hard way last season that you have to say enough is enough... Is this place causing you to fall behind in any way or be short of cash or is it just a case of being a pain in the rump?