PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's Walgreens etc.

mezammit
01-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Could someone point me in the direction of who to get in contact with for the lawn contracts of like a fast food chain, drug store, banks (PNC/McDonald's/Walgreen's) etc. I couldn't imagine you just walk into the store and ask for the manager being all the services go through some type of main office. Or even HOA's too. Would I look up a district manager and go from there or what. I was looking to see what is all involved in the process and see if it is even worth it. Thank you for all the input.
Mike Z

KS_Grasscutter
01-19-2011, 10:31 PM
For franchises such as fast food its up to the owner or whatever manager the put in charge at each location. Kinda a deal where you just have to know the right folks. On corporate things such as walgreens I'm guessing a district manager hires someone to do all the stores they're responsible for.
Posted via Mobile Device

sandy creek
01-19-2011, 11:44 PM
I knew a guy that was doing about 20 walgreens, they almost put him under by running 90+ days past due, I'm guessing its a good paying job but don't put all your eggs in one basket

fireman9
01-20-2011, 09:21 AM
bump...........

yard_smart
01-20-2011, 09:27 AM
District Managers/ Area Directors / Area Coach / District Leader - all names i've heard of. You need to get to senior level management for your area. Call the GM and make them feel important then as them who signs the contacts for their area/region.

spazfam
01-20-2011, 10:28 AM
mezammit .....................just PMd you with some info.

ryde307
01-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Start by going to each store. Walk in say Im so and so with xxx company and I am wondering fi you are accepting bids on your property for_________. Its possible someone there makes the decision or can let you know yes or no. Or they can send you in the right direction. Some do it in house some have area managers or what not some just look at you like your an alien. Most take time and lots of calls and chasing the correct person down just to be told NO.
Also just because on mcdonalds or whatever business has a area manager with 20 locations does not mean they all do some are still independent.

Tyner Lawn Service
01-20-2011, 11:41 AM
I knew a guy that was doing about 20 walgreens, they almost put him under by running 90+ days past due, I'm guessing its a good paying job but don't put all your eggs in one basket

I really wish the whole world would get together and make these companies pay in a timely manner. I'm always amazed how companies that take in cash each day are so slow paying and don't get me started on property management companies that get a months up front plus deposit with late fee's and take forever to pay. Their CEO's would be jumping out of buildings if they had to pay up front.

oldclawn
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
In most areas this type of work is almost the equivilant to minimum wage 60 -90 days behind at all times.
If you really pay attention, you will notice in most areas that its a different crew every year that does these locations.
There's better, less painful ways to go broke.

Bogielski
01-20-2011, 01:08 PM

if you could, please send the info my way as well. i am interested in my area as well.

ReddensLawnCare
01-20-2011, 02:10 PM

Could you send that my way as well please. Im trying to get into that.

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 03:10 PM
WalGreen's SUCKS, dont ever get involved with them, they simply dont pay well.

It's not uncommpn to be 3 months behind. in fact it's uncommon if your NOT.

the dist Manager is the only person you have to answer to.

dont waiste time with the manager.

there's only 3 levels of managment, you will be dealing with mid level.

But when it comes to fast food, YOU BETTER HAVE YOUR NUMBERS DOWN.

meaning you better kno what to do, I have been doing them for 30 yrs now.

Richard Martin
01-20-2011, 03:40 PM
In most areas this type of work is almost the equivilant to minimum wage 60 -90 days behind at all times.
If you really pay attention, you will notice in most areas that its a different crew every year that does these locations.
There's better, less painful ways to go broke.

It's because so few small businesses understand how to deal with 30, 60 and 90 pay. They complain about these types of accounts but they fail to understand that no one is getting paid up front, at any point in the chain. This is why short term credit is so very, very important in the business world.

How are you supposed to survive when you have to wait 90 days to be paid? You borrow the money now and pay it back when you get paid. That's all there is to it. It's how it is done a million times a day by a million businesses.

I wouldn't expect the whole business world to change the way money is handled just because the grassman doesn't qualify for or want to get the credit that every other vendor uses. Either learn and adapt or perish. That's why you keep seeing a different crew every year. Perhaps the crew's owner is one of those chuckleheads that insists upon paying cash for everything.

If people can't or won't accept this simple concept then they need to go back to residentials so they can get paid every week.

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 03:50 PM
It's because so few small businesses understand how to deal with 30, 60 and 90 pay. They complain about these types of accounts but they fail to understand that no one is getting paid up front, at any point in the chain. This is why short term credit is so very, very important in the business world.

How are you supposed to survive when you have to wait 90 days to be paid? You borrow the money now and pay it back when you get paid. That's all there is to it. It's how it is done a million times a day by a million businesses.

I wouldn't expect the whole business world to change the way money is handled just because the grassman doesn't qualify for or want to get the credit that every other vendor uses. Either learn and adapt or perish. That's why you keep seeing a different crew every year. Perhaps the crew's owner is one of those chuckleheads that insists upon paying cash for everything.

If people can't or won't accept this simple concept then they need to go back to residentials so they can get paid every week.

YOu dont borrow money then pay it back when your paid.
You Simply present YOur Comapny Profile to ALL CUSTOMERS.
if your Business cant Survive with out getting paid for 3 months.
YOu Dont have a Business. and I for one. Would NOT do Business with you.
and I'm NOT a million dollar comapny.

the reason it's dont this way is CONTRACTS. simple and to the point. of Corse there is that thing called interest..

A browney point if ya can figure that one out. it's simple

tree_hugger
01-20-2011, 04:03 PM
i maintain over 30 restaraunts (fast food and sit down). so i guess you can say i specialize in restaraunts so when i go put a bid in and show my reference sheet i almost always get the job but it always goes back to who you know. most general managers talk among themselves and that is your best form of advertising.

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 04:18 PM
i maintain over 30 restaraunts (fast food and sit down). so i guess you can say i specialize in restaraunts so when i go put a bid in and show my reference sheet i almost always get the job but it always goes back to who you know. most general managers talk among themselves and that is your best form of advertising.

I always did enjoy doing fast food, WE only have 7 today. Of corse I dont work in field anymore. I printed up our profile, always have a try fold with me.
Most of our commreical accounts came from this.

my oppion fast food needs to follow walmart and increase tha ammount of insurance they require, I have seen some real winners at fast food.

There just asking for it

tree_hugger
01-20-2011, 04:22 PM
yeah we are running into that problem here...a local restaraunt had their landscaper run his lawnmower thru the front door and he didnt have any insurance but told them he did, so the rest. is suing him...sucks to be him...that why i carry 5 million dollar liabilty

Richard Martin
01-20-2011, 04:28 PM
YOu dont borrow money then pay it back when your paid.
You Simply present YOur Comapny Profile to ALL CUSTOMERS.
if your Business cant Survive with out getting paid for 3 months.
YOu Dont have a Business. and I for one. Would NOT do Business with you.
and I'm NOT a million dollar comapny.

the reason it's dont this way is CONTRACTS. simple and to the point. of Corse there is that thing called interest..

A browney point if ya can figure that one out. it's simple

Interest is simply the cost of doing business. You're thinking on a very small level. Say your landscaping company has 3, 4 or 500 employees. Do you really think they leave millions of dollars just sitting around in a bank account waiting to pay wages for 90 days? Or to pay for that new fleet of mowers or 200 new trucks?

I can't count the number of times that someone here has asked about putting together a business plan so they can presnt it to a bank. Cash isn't the only way to run a business.

Business credit is extremely important and again, it's how the business world operates.

Google "importance of credit to a business" one time. Here, I'll save you the effort. Just click here -->> http://www.google.com/search?q=creimportance+of+credit+to+a+business&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1#sclient=psy&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&source=hp&q=importance%20of%20credit%20to%20a%20business&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=creimportance+of+credit+to+a+business&pbx=1&fp=6694bfd8b1308327&pf=p&pdl=300

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Interest is simply the cost of doing business. You're thinking on a very small level. Say your landscaping company has 3, 4 or 500 employees. Do you really think they leave millions of dollars just sitting around in a bank account waiting to pay wages for 90 days? Or to pay for that new fleet of mowers or 200 new trucks?

I can't count the number of times that someone here has asked about putting together a business plan so they can presnt it to a bank. Cash isn't the only way to run a business.

Business credit is extremely important and again, it's how the business world operates.

Google "importance of credit to a business" one time. Here, I'll save you the effort. Just click here -->> http://www.google.com/search?q=creimportance+of+credit+to+a+business&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1#sclient=psy&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&source=hp&q=importance%20of%20credit%20to%20a%20business&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=creimportance+of+credit+to+a+business&pbx=1&fp=6694bfd8b1308327&pf=p&pdl=300

OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS ?

the reason you pay out this way is because most contracts read 90 days. < notice the period

the other is because, well u answered your own Q, YES you do have to transfer funds when making payroll.

if your 90 days behind, that could run into millions, then you keep it where it is. you dont pull it to pay joe blow...

nothing worse than doing payroll

tree_hugger
01-20-2011, 04:42 PM
all of my commercial accounts are net 30 and not a day more

bohiaa
01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
yeah we are running into that problem here...a local restaraunt had their landscaper run his lawnmower thru the front door and he didnt have any insurance but told them he did, so the rest. is suing him...sucks to be him...that why i carry 5 million dollar liabilty

yea, I've seen this too. were at Walmart Qulifications. 2 million.

Of corse were at 1/2 million at workers comp insurance...........

yea yea yea I kno, But we picked up several appartment managment companys that required it.

and to be honest I think were going to revamp that.

MAN I have seen Guys clear a restrunt. I'm sure that's what those guys did too.

it's sad, the restrunt will never get paid. hell he's not worth anythign

mezammit
01-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Well I just want to thank everyone for the comments. Another question I have is qualifications for these types of businesses. Can the management give me some type of requirements as far as workers comp and all other insurance policies. bohiaa posted that Walmart requires a 2 mill policy and I am sure that all of these clients are based on a lowest bid process.?

Thanks again

yard_smart
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Well I just want to thank everyone for the comments. Another question I have is qualifications for these types of businesses. Can the management give me some type of requirements as far as workers comp and all other insurance policies. bohiaa posted that Walmart requires a 2 mill policy and I am sure that all of these clients are based on a lowest bid process.?

Thanks again

Call corp and ask for their standards. They will tell you.

You guys need to learn how to add 2/10 NET 30 on your invoices.

Also CC help out too. Our largest industrial client had us on NET 45 ... Told him we could take Credit Card we get paid the day the invoice is emailed to him!!!!

Cajun Cleanin'
01-20-2011, 10:46 PM
I would think that a lot of industrial companies are using P cards(credit cards issued to an individual in the company)to pay bills as the credit card company tracks it and itemizes it.Fastest way to get paid.

mezammit
01-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Call corp and ask for their standards. They will tell you.

You guys need to learn how to add 2/10 NET 30 on your invoices.

Also CC help out too. Our largest industrial client had us on NET 45 ... Told him we could take Credit Card we get paid the day the invoice is emailed to him!!!!

Yard_Smart,

You just threw a curve ball at me. 2/10 ? And What do you mean net 30 and 45 on the invoices? get at least 30 and 45 a cut? Sorry if this sounds dumb just not sure what this means. Thanks again.

Turf Dawg
01-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I just had to chime in on this.

I know I am small time compared to many of you, but after years of messing with these type of places there is no way that I even want to mess with them anymore. I do some fast food that are privately owned and it seems every time one of the other big chains get a new district manager they always stop and want me to come give them a bid. It seems they are always unhappy with the current provider but when I give them a bid it is way too high. Well if they want something to look better, then why the heck do they think it will be cheaper. Now it seems like every Feb/March I get calls from Maintenance companies that want me to give a bid on the chains that are not franchised and some of these are people from who knows were saying they want it bid for every other week for like 6 months. Well news flash, in this part of Texas you need weekly for around 7 months and a couple months of every other and then a couple of monthly touch ups.
I personally fell like you are better off trying to get private professional businesses like Doctors, Lawyers, ect....... because if you do a good job they do not constantly look for a better deal.

mezammit
01-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Turf Dawg,
Yeah I see where you are coming from I picked up a doctor one year because the service they had they were unhappy with. Long story short I picked up his office and now I do all the maintenance for them beside the fertilizing and snow plowing at there office. The most down to earth people. And when I shot them a price it was higher but did not mind because the service I provided was much better than the previous. It cracks me up how many people look at the guys previous price and say I will do it cheaper. I try to explain and sell my services rather than being the low ball. You pay for what you get.

yard_smart
01-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Yard_Smart,

You just threw a curve ball at me. 2/10 ? And What do you mean net 30 and 45 on the invoices? get at least 30 and 45 a cut? Sorry if this sounds dumb just not sure what this means. Thanks again.

2/10 NET 30 means payment is due in 30 days but they will receive a 2% discount if paid in 10 days

mezammit
01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Got ya yard smart. Thanks again.

Southern Elegance
01-22-2011, 02:50 PM
2/10 net 30 will almost always get you paid much faster.. i gladly give up 2% to get my money a month quicker..

ghunter502
01-22-2011, 03:12 PM

I have been doing work for commercial companies for years. I NEVER!!! use short term loans if I don't have the money in house to buy it we don't get it, that is why businesses fail everyday. Spending the money before they recieve it. The goal with commercial is to have a good financial base under you before you jump into commerical customers or you will never get ahead. This is why america is so in debt. My company never carries any type of loan equipment, real estate, etc. by doing this I totally eliminate the overhead of any loans that I have to worry about.

johnnybravo8802
01-23-2011, 01:00 PM
I lost a big contract last year after two years of service. They signed a contract with a 30 days payment schedule and I never got one check in 30 days. I always got it in 45-50 days and it was killing me financially. It cost me $400 to mow each time and I'd mow it three times before I'd get one check for $1200. Guess what...$400X3=$1200. Basically, I was mowing for free all summer because the checks were only covering my operating costs, 6 weeks later. I don't need a December check for work done in September-I need the money when the money is going out. When I finally put my foot down and nicely explained to them I was hurting financially because of the situation, they got rid of me!!!!:hammerhead:These jokers don't give a rats behind about your unpaid bills-It doesn't matter the quality of work or how nice you are to them. I busted it for two years and had the place looking great and they dropped me like a bad habit. I was cured of doing a net 30-90 days.

yard_smart
01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
This is easily summed up as "The number one reason businesses fail is under capitalization"

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Anyone who pays me 90 days late is FIRED period, don't care who it is.
So, guess I don't want to cut grass for mc'ds or wallyworld, huh:)

JayD
01-24-2011, 11:29 PM
To be honest, I really don't think I would ever want any of those....They are always putting up signs all over the place for this and that, the obstacles would drive me crazy...Every time I pull through one of those, I think to my self that I would not like to cut this...and all the trash people leave....

But thats just me.....you guys might like them..

ReddensLawnCare
01-24-2011, 11:50 PM
JayD I do a couple commercial properties and one of them is a medical office right across the street from a sonic and bojangles...the trash pickup takes me 20 minutes before I can even start mowing...i charge a 15 dollar fee during hte summer when the trash is heaviest..and as far as signs are concerned..i was told to pull them out and throw them away...that easy.

JayD
01-25-2011, 12:43 AM
JayD I do a couple commercial properties and one of them is a medical office right across the street from a sonic and bojangles...the trash pickup takes me 20 minutes before I can even start mowing...i charge a 15 dollar fee during hte summer when the trash is heaviest..and as far as signs are concerned..i was told to pull them out and throw them away...that easy.

Yeah, I could see doing them if you got extra to clean up their trash. The signs were all theirs that I was talking about, you know, every time they have new special going on, they could have a dozen signs out there. I guess there could be a few that have a lot of grass, that would make it better to me...Some of the Mc's around here put so much stupid stuff out there on the lawn, I saw one guy having to use a 21" more on some of it. I try never to load my 21".

ReddensLawnCare
01-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Yeah..i see what your saying. When I did a storage facility in the area, the owner always put signs out advertising their prices...in a 200 foot run there were on average 25 signs or so...I had to just pull them out before I mowed it, but they were those cheap foot press signs and I could never get them to go back in correctly...but yeah..it was a pain to work around/with those.

MOlawnman
02-05-2011, 02:38 AM
This is easily summed up as "The number one reason businesses fail is under capitalization"

Well said!! I couldn't agree more.