PDA

View Full Version : Looking for operation costs for cab over dump truck

Az Gardener
01-19-2011, 11:44 PM
I'm looking for some # on what it costs to maintain and operate a cab over diesel dump truck like a Fuso, UD, Isuzu etc. I have 2 but they are so new that I can't do more than project how long they will last and what will break when and how much it will cost to repair. So I don't have a comfort level that I am charging enough to cover the full maintenance/replacement costs.

I'm guessing there is some documentation on this done by a reputable organization or by someone who has been using these rigs a lot longer than I have. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Az Gardener
01-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Seriously... 47 lookie lou's and no one has any input?

Gravel Rat
01-20-2011, 07:02 PM
I doubt your going to find anybody that has kept track of the costs of owning a cab over. The trucks litterally run for ever, the expenses will be general maintenance the cab over trucks rarely have any major problems except for the LCF Fords.

I would say steer tires yearly, drive tires every 2-3 years, brakes every 2 years, oil changes every 5-6000 miles and of course diesel burned.

knox gsl
01-20-2011, 08:01 PM
I put right at 2,000 miles on one driving from Knoxville, TN to Dallas, TX, I averaged 72mph and 7.8 mpg, not the best. These trucks will easily knock out 200,000 miles with low cost of ownership, but the steer tires and brakes are the downfall. They do have an engine brake on them and that will help. Your fuel millage will increase dramatically by having them speed limited to 60 or 65 mph and this may help on insurance as well. The trucks are naturally limited to 75 because of the gearing and they out of engine with anything more. There really is no need for an employee to run over 60mph in a company truck anyways moving a load of material.

BrandonV
01-20-2011, 10:15 PM
we have a mitfuzo, it's ~5 years old now, 90k and so far has had 1 altenator. steer tires about every 25kmiles. would/will def buy again