PDA

View Full Version : is a 18v impact drill strong enough

lyndont
01-20-2011, 03:45 AM
I was wondering if an 18v makita or dewalt impact drill would be strong enough to change blades while on the job or if you would need something more powerful
Posted via Mobile Device

eggie329
01-20-2011, 04:32 AM
It should work and thats a great idea! You might need a breaker bar on call.

Alan0354
01-20-2011, 05:20 AM
I don't have an impact driver but I use plenty of 18 drivers. they are very strong. I often twisted off the head of a 5/16" lag screw if I set the clutch too high. that is torque.

micah5634
01-20-2011, 07:52 AM
I have a dewalt 18v 1/2 drive cordless and it removes blades just fine.

mslawn
01-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Makita BTW450, worth every penny.

jonathanone
01-20-2011, 08:55 AM
I think you would find that that a 14v would also work for you, whichever way you go spend the extra for lithium and get the wrench not the driver/drill.

93Chevy
01-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah, that should work just fine.

lurch
01-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Breaker bar all the way... When things get to technical things tend to break...

I employ the K.I.S.S. method in my everyday comings and goings...

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

93Chevy
01-20-2011, 09:03 AM
I think it's a lot more simple to impact the blades on and off instead of messing with chunks of wood or whatever to block the blades when you use the breaker bar.

lurch
01-20-2011, 09:13 AM
I think it's a lot more simple to impact the blades on and off instead of messing with chunks of wood or whatever to block the blades when you use the breaker bar.

I just grab the blade with a gloved hand and the breaker bar with the other... Install with a 65 ft. lb. torque wrench.... Done in about 5 min...

93Chevy
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
I just grab the blade with a gloved hand and the breaker bar with the other... Install with a 65 ft. lb. torque wrench.... Done in about 5 min...

I'd like to see your system. I'm not trying to be smart, but the only mowers I don't need a block of wood for are 21 inchers. Maybe I'm not applying leverage in the correct areas, or maybe I have the blades torqued too tight, but I can never seem to get them off with just my arms.

stonebridge
01-20-2011, 10:08 AM
i use a 18v impact and works great. only charge it once every other month and i change 3 mowers every week. i just run the mowers on 1 wheel on the trailer gate, slide under and a minute later im done. easier than using a wrench but i keep one for back up and didn't use it all year.:)

Roger
01-20-2011, 10:30 AM

I'd like to see your system. I'm not trying to be smart, but the only mowers I don't need a block of wood for are 21 inchers. Maybe I'm not applying leverage in the correct areas, or maybe I have the blades torqued too tight, but I can never seem to get them off with just my arms.

I too use a glove on one hand, and just a 1/2" drive ratchet with the other for blades on my ZTR. I never use a block of wood to hold a blade. Just use the gloved hand to loosen, and also to tighten.

I think the OP does not want an impact drill, he wants an impact wrench. Some of the answers imply they are referring to a wrench, not drill.

These threads are posted often -- the need of using an impact tool to take off blades. I don't have an impact tool, and have yet to see the reason for having one for blade work. It is just one more thing to get out, get off, or take away, in order to do a very simple wrenching. I'm convinced I would spend more time fiddling with another tool than to merely take the ratchet or end wrenches (use on by through-bolts of the w/b) out of my tool box, than to get out an impact tool. I don't have to have the deck very far off the ground to use the wrenches, but would need to have it higher to get an impact tool over the bolt from underneath. KISS

ashgrove landscaping
01-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Yup. Works perfectly. That's exactly what I use. Done in less than a minute

outlaw1960
01-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah, my Makita has 155 ft lbs of torque. Works great!

93Chevy
01-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Well, I guess if blades are all you're changing, but I'd like to get a cordless to keep in the truck box for "emergencies." Need to change a tire...done in a few minutes. No cranking on breaker bars.

I guess it all depends if you value a couple hundred more dollars in your bank account and not having to "worry" about another tool more or if you value saving a few minutes of work more. Not really a right answer, just preferences and opinion. But that's what a forum is anyway.

Sorry.

jonathanone
01-20-2011, 11:09 AM
The cordless impact wrench is a marvel of engineering, ours is pushing 5 years old and continues to work flawlessly and will still tighten a fastener (if you wish) to beyond what any adult is able to remove by hand without a bar.
The smart move is to get the wrench not the driver, and get the 1/2 to 3/8 impact reducer then get the anvil to 1/4" drive adapter, I guarantee you will use this tool about 100 times more often than you think.

My favorite brand is DeWalt, last I knew still from Mexico NOT China and there are obvious benefits to the US in providing jobs to our neighbors to the South, if we are going to refuse to make things here of course.

Necessary, no, not until you get older that is; carpul tunnel is alot like tinitus one has to get it to appreciate it.

GunnPropertyServices
01-20-2011, 11:36 AM
try Rigid there good tools and life time warranty on tools and batteries

hackitdown
01-20-2011, 12:01 PM
I use a Dewalt corded impact wrench. I have a cord reel hanging from the garage ceiling which makes it handy. The socket just usually stays on the tool, so set up is about 10 seconds...plug in and go. I used to have a cheapo cordless, but it died.

It is easy enough to loosen the blade bolts with hand tools, block of wood, gloved hand, whatever. I did it for several years. But backing off three 2" threaded bolt takes forever with hand tools. And just as long to spin those bolts back on. Two or three squeezes on the impact wrench trigger, and the blade drops off. After sharpening, just 2 or 3 zips with the impact, and it is back on tight. Multiply by 3 mowers, and the time savings adds up quick.

I do check it with the torque wrench after.

jkingrph
01-20-2011, 01:12 PM
I have a 18 V Dewalt impact wrench. It's plenty strong for the lug nuts on my F 250.

Blade bolt nuts on my Scag are a breeze.

Alan0354
01-20-2011, 01:44 PM

There is a "toy" factor in this!!!:laugh::laugh:

I bought my third hedge trimmer because I "needed" a 30" bar to trim my now tall hedges!!!! My other two are too short to trim in one pass!!!!

Jason Rose
01-20-2011, 03:15 PM
For in the garage use I much prefer a pneumatic impact. They are adjustable and smaller, not to mention much cheaper assuming you have a compressor, which I don't know how you couldn't...

I bought a Dewalt 18V impact this last summer though, but not for business. I got it for a good friend that hasa race car. I'm the pit "crew" most of the time and at the track it's awesome! I tried it for blades but like I said I don't like that it's not adjustable as to how hard or fast it "hits" like a pneumatic one is. I don't ever slam blade bolts/nuts on super tight, there's no need and over tightening will distort the threads over time.

For emergency use on the trailer you can just keep a breaker bar with the size of sockets you need. There's not very often you really need to change a blade or blades "in the field". At least I don't.

jonathanone
01-20-2011, 07:24 PM
The cordless wrenches are great but as hackitdown mentions for the garage version go corded-if you don;t have air-, these things produce incredible amounts of torque.
Jason, I agree that the air tools are the most powerful but the money required for just the gun, especially if you buy American, is very significant, add in the dyer, oiler, multiple air outlets and things get expensive fast not that a good quality electric is much less expensive than a good air gun.
Does anyone else really appreciate the sound of a good quality air wrench ??

corey4671
01-20-2011, 07:38 PM
this will be my fourth season with my dewalt 18v cordless impact. has saved me more than once. best part is that the blade bolts on my big ztr are the same size as the lugnuts on my trailer. Have had to change a few flats in that time span. Jungle jack and cordless impact are my friend when it comes to blades. Just always keep a spare charged battery with you.

ed2hess
01-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Just another toy that you can't depend on all the time. I seen situations where we couldn't get them off with a real impact(ones used on truck tires). Simple job with a socket ratchet and a piece of pipe as backup.

StihlBR600
01-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Screw using a breaker bar. I went out and bought a IR impact. wayyy faster and easier

StihlBR600
01-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Just another toy that you can't depend on all the time. I seen situations where we couldn't get them off with a real impact(ones used on truck tires). Simple job with a socket ratchet and a piece of pipe as backup.

What kind of impact are you talking about when you say (ones used on truck tires) cordless or pneumatic? Because my IR can take off any bolt

SouthSide Cutter
01-20-2011, 08:23 PM

Probably 50 years ago they said simple job with a open end and hammer and called the ratchet a toy. If my 18V Dewalt quit today I would have another 18V or 24V something tomorrow. And mine come loose from the top which makes it even faster with an impact.

dhardin53
01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I use a 24v 1/2 drive impact all the time for the last 4 years. It's not a Dewalt but something close. Its one of my favorite tools. If I do anything in and around my shop I grab the 24v and a full selection of deep-well impacts, a 2 wrench set of long handled box wrenches (4 sizes) and can do about anything I need. I don't leave the house without it.
The set i have is a knock off of high end units. My first experience was with a 18v Dewalt was with a farmer I work for in the harvest season. The Dewalt impact has a lot of tork, maybe as much as what I have. But a Dewalt is over $300 and my set up was just over $120/w 2 batteries and quick charger at the time.

Ok many will never justify this kind of expense but if your turning as many wrenches as I do, ok not a problem. But having the right tool for the right job is critical in today's professional environment.

I'll go one further, working for this farmer in the last 5 years I was introduced to 12v greases gun. (Lincoln) wow a hole lot of money for something so simple as grease gun. But what a difference it making a dirty and simples job that we all put off for all the obvious reasons. Dirty, hard to control, most of the time you need 3 hands. But a batteries unit is so easy. Actually I find myself adding grease when before I was putting it off.

Dogbonz
01-20-2011, 10:26 PM
I have an older Nakita Cordless 3/8's impact. Works good,, but with age the Ni-cad batteries will not hold a charge as long or as deep. It's a 9.6 volt unit,, and I thought I will have to buy new batteries soon, That is till I found this info. http://ysuusy.com/easybatteryfix.html

This will work on any Ni-cad battery and will save you a bundle as well! <--- Your Welcome! :)

LawnPro88
01-21-2011, 08:40 PM
What's the proper torque for putting a blade back on?

SouthSide Cutter
01-21-2011, 09:04 PM
My friend says to tighten it tight then a half turn more!!!!!!

mslawn
01-21-2011, 09:26 PM

Same thing I thought until I bought the Makita I have. Keep the batteries charged and it will change anything you need it to. I change truck and trailer tires with it with no problem. Also after tightening them back down and double checking with a breaker bar most of the time you can't get it any tighter. If it broke today, I would spend another $400 on another in a heartbeat. It is worth its weight in gold.

BadRancher
01-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Good thread. I have wondered about this

lyndont
01-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Another thing I was wondering was what's the best way to get under a walk behind mower I have a gravely pro 50 and I can lift it and have someone slide jack stands under it But I was thinking about putting a chain hoist in the garage and using that. Is that the best way to do it
Posted via Mobile Device

Mowing Freak
01-22-2011, 12:51 AM
I am getting a carpenters motorized wheel barrow type air compressor for the truck, that way I will have something for blowing out radiators, blowing off mowers, airing up tires, changing blades, and what ever else. Yes, that is a bit of an expense, but to me will be worth it for time savings.

lyndont
01-22-2011, 12:56 AM
The best deal on air compessors is reconditionedsales.com great site to go to for certain tools
Posted via Mobile Device

BadRancher
01-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Another thing I was wondering was what's the best way to get under a walk behind mower I have a gravely pro 50 and I can lift it and have someone slide jack stands under it But I was thinking about putting a chain hoist in the garage and using that. Is that the best way to do it
Posted via Mobile Device
I dunno. I always use Jackstands to lift the deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
01-22-2011, 02:44 AM
I have an older Nakita Cordless 3/8's impact. Works good,, but with age the Ni-cad batteries will not hold a charge as long or as deep. It's a 9.6 volt unit,, and I thought I will have to buy new batteries soon, That is till I found this info. http://ysuusy.com/easybatteryfix.html

This will work on any Ni-cad battery and will save you a bundle as well! <--- Your Welcome! :)

I read through the link on how to over voltage the battery. I actually posted it on Physics Forums to solict opinions. So far I got one reply from one of the advisor that this is only the last ditch effort to revive the battery. Once you do it, it will revert back soon.

I'll keep you inform if I hear more. For now, only do it on the batteries that is on it's last leg, don't just do it for the fun of it as routine maintenance until I get more confirmation.:waving:

As for good batteries, the standard method is to drain it dry every other month, that would erase the memory. I used to do wedding photography and I use a lot of the AA and C NiCads. I actually rig up a battery holder with a small light bulb. I put battery in and drain it occationally. It seems to work. Maybe all you need to do is occationally tie the trigger of the drill driver and keep it running until drain, preferably let it drain like this overnight to really really drain it dry. Do the over voltage when the battery gets really old and the normal draining method won't do it anymore.

a clear difference lawn
01-22-2011, 09:02 AM
I use a hitachi 18v cordless impact. Got a great deal off of amazon. It is an awesome tool. Been using it for almost two years with no problems at all. I can change blades in the field in less than 4 minutes using my trailer ramp.

jonathanone
01-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Lawnpro, I would-guess- a minimum of 65ftlbs if the bolts are clean, closer to 80ftlbs if they are rusty, just guessing though; we do use never seize, not really certain if this is recommended .

outlaw1960
01-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I read through the link on how to over voltage the battery. I actually posted it on Physics Forums to solict opinions. So far I got one reply from one of the advisor that this is only the last ditch effort to revive the battery. Once you do it, it will revert back soon.

I'll keep you inform if I hear more. For now, only do it on the batteries that is on it's last leg, don't just do it for the fun of it as routine maintenance until I get more confirmation.:waving:

As for good batteries, the standard method is to drain it dry every other month, that would erase the memory. I used to do wedding photography and I use a lot of the AA and C NiCads. I actually rig up a battery holder with a small light bulb. I put battery in and drain it occationally. It seems to work. Maybe all you need to do is occationally tie the trigger of the drill driver and keep it running until drain, preferably let it drain like this overnight to really really drain it dry. Do the over voltage when the battery gets really old and the normal draining method won't do it anymore.

Hey Allen, I don't think Lithium batteries have a memory, Which are the batteries I have in my impacts and drills...correct me if I am wrong though. I have never had a problem with them in the four years I have owned them.....

Jason Rose
01-22-2011, 12:02 PM
I think that's correct about lithium ions. You also have to be a lttle careful with them. If you deliberately connect them so that they discharge below their minimum they will be ruined, If you over charge them they can and will explode. They aren't nearly as forgiving as ni-cads when it comes to charging and discharging.

Yes they are nice because they have the ability to maintain a high percentage of power output right up until the end. It's a little irritating though when you have no idea it's going dead and the drill just shuts OFF! (that's the built in protection so that you don't drain them down too low). Ni-cads are only 100% charged for that first little bit you use them. After that it's a consistant drop in power output.

eggie329
01-24-2011, 03:26 AM
About the lifting a walk behind. If I'm in the shop I lift it with a cable puller from the ceiling. If I'm just doing a quick blade change, I back it under the trailer and use it as a counter weight.

outlaw1960
01-24-2011, 05:01 AM
I think that's correct about lithium ions. You also have to be a lttle careful with them. If you deliberately connect them so that they discharge below their minimum they will be ruined, If you over charge them they can and will explode. They aren't nearly as forgiving as ni-cads when it comes to charging and discharging.

Yes they are nice because they have the ability to maintain a high percentage of power output right up until the end. It's a little irritating though when you have no idea it's going dead and the drill just shuts OFF! (that's the built in protection so that you don't drain them down too low). Ni-cads are only 100% charged for that first little bit you use them. After that it's a consistant drop in power output.

True about the shutting down, I was on the tool truck and they have a killer Milwaukee set that actually has a charge indicator on the batteries.......may have to look into them a bit more.

eco.lawns
02-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Great thread. Im def getting an 18v 1/2in with the lithium ion battery this year. I wasnt certain it would have the power but after hearing your experiences its obvious.