PDA

View Full Version : When is it time?

Swampy
01-20-2011, 12:50 PM
When do you think its time to sell or trade in a truck or equipment I.E. trailers, mowers, etc?

Right now my 94 Dodge is about to turn over 200K on the 5.9L gasser. It doesn't leak from the head gaskets, and doesn't consume any fuilds. I've replaced a water pump, thremostat, altenator, battery, a lot of the sensors, exhaust, and had the trany rebuilt about 20K ago. The body is showing some age, its a WI truck so the salt has started to rust out the cab corners and rockers.

Personally I bought it for 900 bucks in 04, being that it is 2wd does hurt so I'm looking at getting something 4x4 and newer/heavier. I'll probably only get 500 bucks on a trade for it so I thought of just keeping it and running it into the ground, well replacing things that need to be replaced.

Also anybody know why a check engine light would come on after replacing the PCV valve?

weed wacker 2
01-20-2011, 03:13 PM
If your wanting a newer truck, keep the one you got as a backup since its not worth alot. New trucks break down too.

SNAPPER MAN
01-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Keep it as your work truck and get you a newer nice personal truck or car.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deori
01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I agree, keep it as a backup until something major goes wrong with it and then dump it. No one is going to give you any money for it and it's the cheapest backup truck you can keep around. Once the motor blows or something similarly catastrophic, off to the scrap yard or you could drop a used motor in it or something I guess.

If your wanting a newer truck, keep the one you got as a backup since its not worth alot. New trucks break down too.

Swampy
01-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys. I keep it around as the beater with a heater LOL. Well mowing truck.

I was looking at a few as well today. Looking to spend around $10k on a newer truck. I've found a 98 GMC 2500 85K on a V8 350 for 7,995 base model, 96 Dodge 2500 V8 5.9L with 111K for 8,795 with all power interior. Both 4x4, 8ft plows, and standard cab long box (which is actually what I'd prefer)

Jpocket
01-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Prices seem a bit high for 10+ year old trucks. And it they already have plows they have been worked. HIGH miles too

outlaw1960
01-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Prices seem a bit high for 10+ year old trucks. And it they already have plows they have been worked. HIGH miles too

If you buy one of those get ready for some suspension work, and maybe a bit of differential wok as well unless the previous owner has all the maintenance records. If I were to buy an older truck it would be from an original owner or a base model from a fleet company. That way you can get most, if not all of the service records......but the fleet trucks get beat like a redheaded stepchild...but the maintenance is currant.

Swampy
01-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Yeah they are older but newer than my 94, plus less miles as well. I didn't really finish my story either why I'm looking towards under $10K. I'm finishing up college this year so I'll have to start repaying back on those loans as well. Thats why I'm looking older to keep those payments down, can't afford a $500 a month payment just yet, otherwise I would.

Looking more at the chevy, it looks like it came off a municpality or from a fleet. Being a plow truck, I'd have a extra suspension sitting on the shelf for those just incase or emergency repairs.