PDA

View Full Version : Help the new guy please

TexasFire221
01-20-2011, 02:43 PM
I have a resturant that I landscape and they are interested in some lighting for their patio. It is super dark at night and during the summer this will be a huge hangout spot. Im mainly looking for some options to throw some light on the patio. There are a few trees that I can mount lights too but am also concerned about the lack of light that will be under the pompalas (spelling). I would like to uplight a couple large trees and a palm. I am kind of interested in the unique stuff and actually have one of their catalogs that ive been flipping through for two years but just never taken the next step. Can someone help me out please.

TexasFire221
01-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Forgot to add a picture.

trailboss
01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Is that stamped concrete or pavers? Are there sleeves allowing you to pull wire to the palapas/umbrellas?
Sure would be cool to throw some light up into the fronds and get secondary light down onto the table areas. Then again, depends on how good looking your date is :laugh:.

TexasFire221
01-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Is that stamped concrete or pavers? Are there sleeves allowing you to pull wire to the palapas/umbrellas?
Sure would be cool to throw some light up into the fronds and get secondary light down onto the table areas. Then again, depends on how good looking your date is :laugh:.

Its stamped concrete. im the new guy so dont really know if there is an option to get light into those. The whole patio will need light as there is nothing there now.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi Texas... welcome to the forum. That looks like a really great opportunity you have there. Done right it will be outstanding and remarkable. Jumping right into a commercial project as a first effort might be biting off a bit more than you can chew. Remember that your work will be seen by literally hundreds of people. You might want to consider teaming up with a local, established lighting company to help you with the planning and execution. Or, if that is not an option, you could team up with a co-operative manufacturer, one that has an interactive rep. who will help you plan, specify and guide you through some installation technique.

No doubt you will get some opinions, suggestions, and viewpoints here, but nothing beats some on-site, hands-on assistance.

Regards

TexasFire221
01-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Well teaming up with someone is not an option as I am the only one in the area. The rep I was talking with promised to have me some info yesterday and I haven't heard from him. I understand that jumping into this might not be such a good idea but the customer really isn't looking to go all out on this. Just 3 or 4 fixtures to throw some light on the patio. Maybe I will make some calls and see what I can do. Thanks for the help guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan B
01-20-2011, 05:57 PM
X2 what James said.
Lots of potential to create great ambiance.

Some general suggestions:
-Use lots of indirect lighting to create a more "romantic" mood. It'll work well for this space. (Eg use wall washes in the bed aiming at the beautiful stone wall and the orange/yellow reflection off the stone will illuminate part of the patio). Fixture example might be our Volt Gentle Splash with 20w bi pin placed every 10' http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/Volt-Gentle-Splash-wall-wash-p/430.htm. Put lighting in the grass umbrellas (same fixture) and if they are aimed up/sideways they will reflect off the inside of the grass and provide softer light on the tables.
-Do some soft downlighting (normally 20w 60 degree but in this case you might want to add a frosted lens to lower output and diffuse more for even softer light). Mount as high in tree as possible.
-step lights on stairs, hardscape lights on wall where there's no bed in front.
-Use glass covered well lights with lamp recessed down and glass to prevent trip hazard/debris when you do up light so that you minimize glare.
-run wire to the tables by (trick I learned from Tommy the Lighting geek) double stacking two grinding blades, to grind out cement along teh stamped concrete groove, lay cable in groove, mortar over, then sprinkle the colored dust (that you saved from grinding) back onto the grout for color match.
- Use more fixtures but lower wattage, hide direct viewing of lamps (glare) from ALL angles possible. Don't over light this area-- you want it to embrace the intimate fell the sunken space already has and the mood you get when dining by candlelight.

You have a lot of options with the beds, trees to downlight from, umbrellas to break up patio area, wall for ambient lighting, uplight their artwork/statues with flush mounted mr16 well light, etc..

Good Luck!

GreenI.A.
01-20-2011, 07:35 PM
-run wire to the tables by (trick I learned from Tommy the Lighting geek) double stacking two grinding blades, to grind out cement along teh stamped concrete groove, lay cable in groove, mortar over, then sprinkle the colored dust (that you saved from grinding) back onto the grout for color match.

Good Luck!

thats a great idea, I have never thought about using the dust.

TexasFire221
01-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Yikes! Lots of info. So your saying grind out the grooves instead of a straight line to the tables? Is that possible? There are no straight lights so you would have to gring 4 inches turn grind 2 inches turn. How do you hide the wire up the cedar posts? Lots of newbie questions sorry guys. We do holiday lighting somewhat of an idea here (basic that is for landscape lighting) Chris over at Rhode Island Landscape Lighting sent me a lighting manual to get me started but its a lot of info. Once again thanks for the help guys.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
When wiring things like cedar posts, or structural posts on things like gazebo's etc, we custom mill trims to cover the wire. Start with 2x4x10' cedar lumber. Rip the 2x4 on its side into 5/8" thick strips. Then mount your dado blades on the table saw and cut a 3/8" wide x 1/4" deep channel up the middle of the strip. When on site you cut the trims to length with a mitre box and back saw and mount the trim over the wire with finishing nails on either side of the channel. (if the surface is painted, we will paint to match before mounting)

TexasFire221
01-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Makes sense. Lots of tips to learn for this business!
Posted via Mobile Device

bcg
01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Another option is to criss-cross holes in the post and then cover the exposed part with wood filler.

What part of Tx are you in?

3 or 4 LV fixtures isn't going to come even close to doing it correctly.

TexasFire221
01-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Yes I u derstand about doing it correctly just not sure he is going to want to spend a to s of money there. Just hoping I could capture some of the money before he just has an electrician throw up some hope depot lights in the trees. I'm west of ft hood.
Posted via Mobile Device

bcg
01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
You should send contact Paul Gosselin at Night-Scenes, he's close to there and if you want to sub some of it out, or just pay him for some design and install ideas, he'd be a real asset to you, and well worth a few hundred bucks for someone to look at it in person. I believe he's in Puerto Rico on the Kichler trip now, or will be next week but shoot him an email at info@night-scenes.com. You might also contact Rich Swor at Longhorn. They don't carry Unique but in a resteraunt where they're not going to want to have to do a lot of maintenance, I'd be looking to do integrated LED fixtures nost likely, especially for the down lighting. You can reach Rich at rswor@longhorninc.com. You can tell either of them Bernie suggested you contact them.

TexasFire221
01-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

TexasFire221
01-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Sent Paul a message and he already replied and said he would be happy to help me. Thanks guys very much.
Posted via Mobile Device