PDA

View Full Version : Gravely users respond !!

jdubb44
01-20-2011, 08:30 PM
I have a 09' Gravely 252z ..... I need help with a blade set up. what are you guys using? Im getting lots of straglers with the factory blades ... What do you guy think ??

BINKY1902
01-20-2011, 09:19 PM
I have a 152z. I like the factory high-lifts the best, and have never had problems leaving grass at all, as long as the blades are sharp. I use gators in late fall/winter for mulching. I take the mulch kit off during the growing season and put factory high lifts back on.

MOturkey
01-20-2011, 11:47 PM
I run Gravely's also, although 60 inch decks, but don't have that much problem with stragglers with factory blades. Don't know your experience level, so will ask the usual questions like are the blades sharp, deck pitch set correctly, deck not packed with debris? Also, trying to mow too fast can contribute to the problem. I don't know what type of grass you are cutting, but with mine, if I cut fine stemmed grass such as tall fescue, especially at higher settings, I have to really slow down to avoid leaving stragglers.

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
05-10-2011, 08:03 PM
J, I also have a 2009 252z. I have been running Oregon 3:1 blades and they seem to work pretty decent. I am also looking for a better configuration but at $15ish a blade, Im not really wanting to try to much.... I have had to deal with stragglers in the past too, and normally I just slow down on the mower and it usually fixes the problem.

cdjones
05-10-2011, 08:16 PM
We have two gravely zthd 52's and two gravely 260's all leave a nice cut but we did pitch the deck a little more the manuals say 1/4 down in the front but we went with 3/8 made a difference for us and we run the standard hi-lift blades and sharpen once a week.

nobagger
05-10-2011, 09:23 PM
We just run the OEM hi lifts. Never had a problem with stragglers even when the blades were a bit on the dull side.

gebby
05-10-2011, 11:16 PM
It's still early. Wet tall grass, keep the blades sharp and go a little slower. I have a 2005 Z 252. Factory blades work fine for me. How high are you cutting ?