PDA

View Full Version : Lawn care for free!

ColvinsPS
01-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Soo today i was at my local advanced auto parts store picking up some parts and i was talking with some of the employees. I asked them who did their lawncare because i was thinking of submitting a bid for this year. they said someone who doesn't do a good job. I had noticed it looked kind of crappy all summer but didn't know why.
They said it is someone who does the lawncare for FREE but they get the snow removal too.
I totally don't understand that deal. I think i will submit a bid and leave them a card for snow removal too since this guy has to be going out of lowballer business soon.. if not.. i don't think i can compete with that!

grassman177
01-21-2011, 12:48 AM
go for it, i would. in fact i am going to be aggressive like never before this year.

lyndont
01-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Last year I put 1 free week per referral on my flyers and I ended up mowing a real estate office almost all summer for free because they were giving me all of the repos they had listed and they waited until the grass was a ft tall and I would have to mow those 4 times just to get them to look decent so don't do what I did or you might be kicking yourself. I know I was but if I tell someone I will do something I will do it. I won't advertise like that this year for sure. I lost money on that deal
Posted via Mobile Device

lyndont
01-21-2011, 01:32 AM
I am still looking for something creative to put out there to get more work but the word free won't be anywhere. Thought about a rear window decal that says weekends are for relaxing, call me or something like that. Any advice. I am in this for the long run but I need to gain more clients so I can quit my full time job.
Posted via Mobile Device

ColvinsPS
01-21-2011, 02:05 AM
Last year I put 1 free week per referral on my flyers and I ended up mowing a real estate office almost all summer for free because they were giving me all of the repos they had listed and they waited until the grass was a ft tall and I would have to mow those 4 times just to get them to look decent so don't do what I did or you might be kicking yourself. I know I was but if I tell someone I will do something I will do it. I won't advertise like that this year for sure. I lost money on that deal
Posted via Mobile Device

I did a first cut free last year and it hit me in the butt too. I luckily killed that since it wasn't on any of my material just what i was telling new customers. I changed it to one free cut which would have been the 5th cut for free. If it was real high i would charge for that. One i did for free i ended up spending nine man hours at between my brother and I. I think i cut it 4 or 5 times and we bagged 9 contractors bags of grass out of it. The other one i did for "free" i told her it was $100 for a high grass charge and i cut it 2 more times and she never paid me.
Live and learn[- new customers pay upfront for first 3 services then we go to billing.
People like something free but a summer of lawncare stood out to me as crazy.
I will hit it hard this year too. I am trying to expand my business to have a more full schedule and support me all year so i am trying very hard to grow. Good luck to you guys too!

lyndont
01-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Yeah I hear ya I almost got stiffed out of $300 by one guy because he was on vacation for so long and when he came back he tried to tell me he couldn't pay me but I just told him that was fine but I would be sure to tell his neighbors about it and I guess he didn't want that. I still lost him for the last month but I got what he owed me. The funny thing is he didn't even mow anymore after that and his yard looks like hell. I have a big heart and if he was truly hard up for money no big deal but he's an engineer with a nice house and cars so I didn't feel bad at all about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

lyndont
01-21-2011, 02:23 AM
I don't do contracts but that is one reason where it would come in handy but I don't want my customers to feel obligated or anything. I just try my best to keep them happy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hawg City Lawns
01-21-2011, 02:56 AM
sounds like what the car dealerships do around here "buy this car get a cruise for free" basically its buy this car for $700 more so you can pay for the cruise also... im guessing maybe they included the price for lawncare in the snow removal if not theyre pretty dumb

Agape
01-21-2011, 03:29 AM
I am still looking for something creative to put out there to get more work but the word free won't be anywhere. Thought about a rear window decal that says weekends are for relaxing, call me or something like that. Any advice. I am in this for the long run but I need to gain more clients so I can quit my full time job.
Posted via Mobile Device

you could put "per customer" so the realators only get 1 free week, not for every property.

ox6603
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
I only offer "free cuts for referrals" up to a certain value and only to contracted customers. That way you're not cutting a city block with waist high grass for free and you are rewarding good customers, not deadbeats.
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
01-23-2011, 10:29 PM
I had that same situation here with an auto zone...i did some digging and found out that the truth was...they dont pay, but corporate does. Its just like walgreens/cvs...the store doesnt pay anything, rather it is the corporate that does. They get there checks from corporate just like there landscapers get it from corporate. When you submit a bid to those kind of companies you need to contact a regional manager and try to make good relations...your right in thinking about there is no way someone could do it for free...the store manager at your local place never handles that money..doesnt mean its free

grass-scapes
01-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Try the words "restrictions apply", and then put the details of the offer on a flyer or call for details.

Free cut when you pay for 3, or free cut when you get season long service. If you do the free cut first, you should have somewhere in the paperwork THEY get that if they cancel right after the free one and don't pay for what the offer said they needed to, that you will bill for the service at the normal rate.

Doesn't mean they will pay you, but just by having the offer details in writing, you should eliminate that crap like the real estate company.

Limit 1 per New customer