PDA

View Full Version : Ford Diesel Turbo Question

HacMan91
09-03-2002, 09:29 PM
Ive got a 94 Ford F250 Turbo Diesel 7.3, not power stroke. I cant tell if my turbo is working. It pulls my lawn trailer fine but the fuel mileage is terrible. I get around 9-11 mpg with the trailer. I cant hear the turbo whistling when Im driving. The power feels fine, but its hard to tell because it always drove this way. Ive had the truck about 6 mos. Ive taken the breather off and spun it with my hand and it will spin freely. Any suggestions on how I can tell if its working. My neighbor said something about a acuator. I know I mispelled that. Thanks.

John DiMartino
09-05-2002, 12:49 AM
You need a boost guage to tell if its working. Whiuel your at it,get an EGT guage,with these 2 guages,you can quickly diagonse most power problems quickly,or keep from melting down your engine.You should be able to find the boost specs for your truck easily.

General Grounds
09-08-2002, 12:10 AM
:blob3: if the turbo is not operating you may have a very heavy white smoke from exhaust, my friends tur4bo went bad and when he came up to a traffic light it burst out a wicked white smoke, turned out to be a bad turbo unit. t

John DiMartino
09-08-2002, 09:58 AM
While thr turbo can cause white smoke,it usually causes black smoke,due to the lack of air the motor needs to burn the fuel,without the turbo working,the mixture is very rich,thus the black smoe(raw fuel) out the pipe.White smoke usually but no always is a sign of coolant in combustion chamber,or late timing,especialyl when the engine is cold.Like i said, rig up a boost guage,go for a ride,the only way to know for sure is to check the boost pressure with a guage.

skinnyd
09-08-2002, 12:53 PM
I dont know much about diesels but for general info on Ford diesels you might want to try the site below.
http://www.ford-diesel.com/

Good Luck.

Imow4u2
09-08-2002, 04:07 PM
I would guess that the blower is blowing. your truck out if the factory will make 8-10 psi max which is a big help for the should-be natural aspirated motors. i would like to know if you have an auto or stick and what gears are in the rears. Take off the muffler and go with an open intake the little filter under the hood was a bad design if you want to know more shoot me an e-mail I could help you roll a little fuel after you get some GAUGES.:blob3:

crawford_darrel
09-10-2002, 12:19 AM
make sure the exhaust is not colapsed or badly retricked,

mipsud
09-11-2002, 10:58 PM
i was just going to say that power strokes make about 17 psi stock out of the turbo and the older body stiles dont make that much turbo noise but if you want to create horse power you need to get a 100 hp chip and intake and 5 in exaust and a down pipe and you should then be creating about 750 ft lbs of tork....:D

mipsud
09-11-2002, 11:00 PM
i was also going to say that i know a guy that has a newer body style f350 and he has a hyper tech controller and he can control the amount of boost that he wants to produce...:blob2:

Imow4u2
09-14-2002, 09:41 AM
My "older" body style PS whistles a tune, could be that I can bury my 30# gauge. I do know that I've seen more "super dutys" in my mirrors than out my windshield.:D

Brickman
09-30-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Imow4u2
My "older" body style PS whistles a tune, could be that I can bury my 30# gauge. I do know that I've seen more "super dutys" in my mirrors than out my windshield.:D

Bring it on man. :D

mdb landscaping
10-01-2002, 10:43 AM
hey brickman, you sure are a cocky ford owner:D . if youre ever in CT let me know, cause i want to run you and show you what the back end of a chevy looks like.

Brickman
10-01-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
hey brickman, you sure are a cocky ford owner:D . if youre ever in CT let me know, cause i want to run you and show you what the back end of a chevy looks like.

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Trust me I know what they look like as I roll by with a huge load at 75 and they are poking along at 60 or 65. Check out this thread if you want to see what size of load I move along at 75 passing CHEVS.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33877

Randy J
10-01-2002, 01:29 PM
Now, now guys, am I going to have to break out the mighty Cummins and settle this?! :D

mdb landscaping
10-01-2002, 04:56 PM
come on up randy. i know a good three lane road we could test on lol.:D

Randy J
10-01-2002, 08:33 PM
:blob2: :D

odin
10-01-2002, 08:49 PM
Well one good thing about chevy dodge and ford arguments is ,we are argueing over three american UAW BUILT trucks:D

Brickman
10-02-2002, 12:58 AM
Hey Randy I hate to see grown men cry. :D :D :D :D

Odin you are right. Back in the spring there was this jack a posting on here about how the US trucks were total trash and the only good rig out there was the Jap built stuff. And that it is a crying shame they don't build a full size Honda or Toyota truck. I wanted to help him pack up and move to what ever island he came from.

mdb landscaping
10-02-2002, 05:51 PM
i remember that post lol. id like to see a toyota or mitsubishi pickup tow 10,000 lbs. I think its fun to joke around about trucks and , but im nwhos got more powerand im not anti ford(maybe anti dodge though:D ). im actually considering a powerstroke dump truck next year.

f350
10-02-2002, 09:30 PM
get a really good egt and boost gauge, i prefer vdo.
i have a pretty good turbo back ground. i owned and build a 9 sec turbo buick. i really dont like the idea of chips and power adders, thats why i went with a dfi. but hey it's a ford truck

Brickman
10-07-2002, 04:59 PM

mdb this is the normal Chev view of my truck. :D

Swampbeast
10-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Brickman, I like you! Ha ha!
Once I got into a pulling contest, me and my F-350 Powerstroke verses a Dodge 3500 Cummins. We hitched chains to the two monsters back ends in a large parking lot, and then let em rip! When the white smoke cleared, my truck proudly chugged on while the Dodge owner had to restart his engine which had stalled and died! Ha!
I also have trashed a 2002 Chevy Duramax 3500 in a quarter mile race on a track. :gunsfirin
I also love to pull up next to those crummy little riceburner Toyota pickups and watch thier faces turn red in my rearview mirror! :realmad:
No doubt about it, Fords rule! :drinkup:

Brickman
10-24-2002, 10:42 AM
When I was still doing lawn care I trashed a Duramax from several lights. I was pulling my lawn trailer and he had no load of any kind. Blew him off of 3 different lights. When the BLACK smoke all cleared he was behind my trailer every time. Either the truck or the driver didn't have any guts for running. I am betting it was the truck.

MDB how is that for a racing story??? :D

FORD RULES!!!!! :drinkup:

mdb landscaping
10-24-2002, 12:09 PM
you wont trash on my truck:D . Im running low 14 sec quarter miles. Ive beaten on several powerstrokes(one with intake chip and exhaust) and i even beat my friends vr6 volkswagen gti which weighs less than half my truck. It will also pull a ton. Aint no way you going to beat me light to light with that powerstroke.

mdb landscaping
10-24-2002, 12:11 PM
by the way,

CHEVY RULES

Swampbeast
10-24-2002, 01:30 PM
The powerstroke diesel will smoke any other DIESEL truck out there. NOT gas, gas are just faster, no two ways around that.
But any diesel truck I will challenge, with my old 95 F-350. Give me a nice clear straightaway, and a worthy opponent, then get back!
One time me and another F-350 and a 2000 3500 Chevy all pulled up to a four lane stop light. There was a Dodge neon between me and the 3500. We all started gunning the engines, and that guy in the Neon just put his car in reverse and got away from us! Then when the light turned green, all three took off in clouds of black and white smoke. When the dust settled and the smoke cleared, I was in the lead by about 10 feet of the other F-350, and the 3500 struggling to catch up from around 200 yards behind. :gunsfirin
FORD RULES THE DIESELS!

Brickman
10-24-2002, 02:03 PM
by the way,

CHEVY RULES

I don't think so. :D

Apart from that, I am glad you get to spend as much as $12,000 more than my truck. For that much more it should be able to beat it.

Swamp man, :drinkup:

GreginAlaska
10-24-2002, 03:33 PM
Chevy Rules????

:dizzy:

I'm not sure if my truck is faster than a Duramax, but when I had my stock 69 428 Super Cobra Jet I ate many Corvettes, GTO's, Firebirds, Cameros, a couple of Baracudas and Chargers. The only thing that ever beat me in 1/4 mile run was a Charger with a Hemi in it. No Corvette ever came closer than 2 car lengths. I was never beat in a road race...way too many cops up here for that kind of thing nowadays.

Swampbeast
10-24-2002, 06:34 PM
:D Hey Gregin, thats cool! I am in a car club, we have one old 73 Mustang that is a POS right now, the original owner didnt take care of it worth jack. :angry: It still even has the original 351 Cleveland in it! we took that out though, put a bigger 460 in it. We also have a 68 Mustang thats our racing car, its awesome! Big fat slicks in the back, monster 460 in it, with Super Charger, and a blower, custom chips, and tons of other goodies. Will run a 1/4 mile in 9.48 seconds. We are working on getting it to 9 right now. And we tow it to the track using a Ford F-350! Yeah!
Anyways, we are going to the track this weekend (if it clears up and stops raining!) and while we run the Sythicon (thats what we call the fast Mustang) and I will also run my F-350 with a trailer loaded with 10,000 pounds in it against a friends Chevy 3500 with an identical trailer with an identical load. I will post the times here on Saturday night. He he, that Chevy is goin down! :gunsfirin
I like racing, can ya'll tell? :D :cool:

Brickman
10-25-2002, 01:40 AM
Swampbeast go kick some Cheby butt. :D Let us know how it goes. I got the propane on my truck tonight. Finally :dizzy:

Will post the performance later. I want to dyno it too.

Randy J
10-27-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Swampbeast
The powerstroke diesel will smoke any other DIESEL truck out there.
I think you been smelling too many diesel fumes!:D I haven't turned mine up, but there are a lot of Cummins Dodges out there smoking everything at the dragstrip! Now I won't argue a stock powerstroke will beat a stock Cummins Dodge from stoplight to stoplight, but lets talk pulling ability and reliability. For MY money you can't beat a Cummins. Dodge may be another issue, although I'm awful happy with mine. There's a reason most all semi trucks on the road use a straight 6 diesel as opposed to V8.
Randy
(Haven't seen Gravel Rat around in a few days, maybe I can start a good war with Swampbeast!)

Brickman
10-27-2002, 07:41 AM
Randy you got Nascar Power Stroke racing.

Why not Cummins racing, or Crapamax racing??????????????

Swampbeast
10-27-2002, 08:12 AM
Im not the only one been snorting the diesel fumes! Someone get this man an aspirator!
Yes Randy, you know why there are more tuned up Dodges than anything else out there? Cause they are cheap! Around here a top of the line Dodge pickup will run you $30000. A top of the line Ford pickup will run you around $42,000. So people go buy the cheapo truck, then have money left over to spend on it. Thats why there are more out there!
I dont know about the semi trucks, thats kinda out of my experience there, so I cant refute that in any way. I do know a friend of mine that has a CAT V-8 diesel engine in his Peterbilt, and that things just AWESOME!
Okay, lets talk pulling ability and reliability! For example, my truck. A 1995 F-350. It has 241,000 miles on it. It has gone into the shop for repairs exactly one time. And you know what that was for? The sucky Ford Transmission. (thats one thing I dislike about Ford, thier trannys just dont last long. Allison rules with trannys) Now that reliability! I have a friend that bought a 2003 Dodge Ram Cummins diesel and he has already had to run it in for repairs on the engine! So forget that thing about reliability! And now for pulling ability! Ahem, I have yet to have a single Dodge come close to outpulling me. (when my truck was stock) I have always been able to out pull any Dodge on the road. Just from my personal experience!
You want a war? War it is! Ma! Go get out the guns Ma! Its fuedin' time!
:gunsfirin :gunsfirin

:D :cool:

Brickman
10-27-2002, 11:58 AM
This will be good.

ProSeasons
10-29-2002, 02:12 AM
Swampbeast,

Get for real, dude:D

http://www.enterpriseengine.com/

Swampbeast
10-29-2002, 08:34 AM
Proseasons, oh please. You do realize there are things you can do to a Toyota Tundra that will turn it into a hauling machine? We are talking stock here, not hopped up. Yes, my truck has some mods on it, but not like those guys have. Those are called funny cars, meaning they are radically changed to boost performance. Dodge Ford and Chevy all have mods you can do on them to make them perform like those.
Cool pics though, the load would have been bigger if that had been a Ford though, and it would have been going faster. :D

And wheres Randy? Wheres my war?
:cool:

Randy J
10-29-2002, 09:02 AM
I'm no longer a member of the TDR, but I'll see if I can get on there somehow. My truck is stock, and you've already said your truck is "slightly" modified, so I'll find a Dodge in Houston that is "slightly" modified, I know there's a bunch over there. And I know a lot of them are always willing to pull (mainly 'cause they rarely, if ever, lose). Most of the ones I have read about have put injectors in, and a fueling box, total cost around $1000, or less. Or we can find someone who only has 275 injectors and a timing box, if your's isn't that modified. Only the crazy ones put the turbos, manifolds, etc., in. Of course once any modifing is done, they have to put a better clutch in, or strengthen the auto tranny (no one makes a good stock tranny for that much horsepower - even the allison in the GM's have their issues). But once that's done, they turn incredible amounts of torque. And what really makes it good, is even with the 24 valve engine which has a higher rev limit, the Dodge still builds its peak torque at a lower RPM than the Powerstroke. And with a nice flat torque curve, the power keeps coming. I will never say that the Ford, or GM for that matter, aren't good trucks. But no one will ever convince me that a slightly tuned Powerstroke will pull as hard, as long, as a slightly tuned Cummins. Heck, even the manufacturer's know it - the Powerstroke is rated as a light/medium duty engine, and the Cummins is a medium/heavy duty engine. The Cummins has more main bearings and connecting rods that are almost 1.5 - 2 times as thick as the Powerstroke. Not to mention 40% less moving parts. I'm sure there are some out there, but I haven't heard of a million mile Powerstroke. I've heard of several Million mile Cummins/Dodge (used for hotshotting). This war can go on forever. I never take fault for anyone saying they like their truck, only when they try to say the Dodge isn't any good. I don't even fault anyone for not liking Dodge, to each their own, but I think history and the facts are on my side. If you want a diesel that is most like an over the road truck engine, meaning low end torque and longevity, you need to look at a Cummins. Most manufacturer's have tried making V configuration diesels for over the road trucks. I don't believe you could find 5% of the over the road trucks with V engines now. They just don't work as good for what they're doing.
Brickman, yeah I know. Cummins used to be a main sponser for Mark Martin, back when he was the Valvoline car. I'm sure they're out there still, just as an associate sponser. I'm kind of disappointed though. They should be a main sponser for the cup circut, like CAT. They are in trucks, just not in cup. By the way, who is Powerstroke racing? I don't remember seeing any Powerstroke cars, or trucks for that matter.

Randy
"I'd rather be Cummins than 'Strokin" (Sorry, just couldn't resist that one!)

Swampbeast
10-29-2002, 01:14 PM
Randy, my main mods are a Banks Turbo computer chip, good exhaust system, and new clutch. Some smaller detail stuff has been done as well.
Ahem, they will find me and all my Ford friends ready and willing to pull as well! Cause we almost never lose! Except to something larger than ourselves.
Oh I agree with you. I dont think the Dodge is a bad truck, I just think the Ford is better.
I dont know where you looked, but I looked that up in the book, Guide To Diesel Engines (good book, must read, lots of good info in there) that the Powerstroke is rated as a Medium Duty Commercial engine, and the 24 valve Cummins rated as the same thing.
All that extra complexities of the V-8 Powerstroke make no differnce. So what the Cummins has thicker rods and less moving parts, I have never had a single thing repaired on my PowerStroke.
My Grandpa has a 1990 F-250 with a Powerstroke in it that has 1,450,000 miles on it. Thats nearly a million and a half. He has gone through five transmissions, but that Powerstroke has only had one repair on it ever. And that was for some worn out piston rings. The truck looks like crap but it runs excellent!
I have a friend whose father has a 93 F-350 with 1,080,000 miles on it. Those are just people I can think of that are friends, not nation wide! So stuff that comment about no PowerStrokes in the One Million club.
I am not saying that the inline six is a bad setup, no no. In this one specific application with these small engines I think the V-8 powerstroke is the best. I dont want performance like the big rigs get. I want good pickup truck performance!
And I would personally rather be Stroked than Rammed! :D

Randy J
10-29-2002, 01:49 PM
I knew there had to be a least 2 Fords in the million mile club, so that makes 2 and counting! I'm glad you like your Ford, life's too short to be driving something you hate. But I still believe if you want to pull loads like the big trucks, get an engine like the big trucks. I reckon we'll just have to agree to disagree. Oh the engine rating is out there. I'll look it up and email to you personally. The Cummins is one rating up from the Powerstroke (and Duramax). The rating was based on expected life to overhaul if I remember correctly. By the way good comeback on the stroked vs. rammed.

Randy:D

Swampbeast
10-29-2002, 02:52 PM
That, I must admit, is a very good point. Life if far to short to drive something you hate. Very true.
In all honesty, the difference between the Cummins and the PowerStroke and the Duramax is so subtle they are basically the same engines. So one has 20 more HP than the other, or 15 more Ft/Lb of Torque, when we are talking 400 HP and 500 something torque, those small differences make no difference to performance.
The engines are all good.
Its the rest of the truck that we can bicker about! Personally, I think the Fords are great looking, and the Dodges and Chevys look like crap.
Ha ha! When my Dad read that he laughed so hard he started turning blue.
Well, I would bicker some more, but I must go now, I have my canoe races to attend, so if you will excuse me!
FORD RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brickman
10-29-2002, 04:43 PM
Randy, Swampbeast while we are doing numbers lets look at one that nobody, not Didge, not Cheby, or GMC can touch. Almost 2 million Power Stroke engines produced. With 98% still on the road. That is since the Stroker was introduced in late 94 for the 95 model year. Over 1 Million of the Gen 2 Srokes produced. That is since late 97 for the 99 model year. There never was a 98, they were all called 99. You just can't ague with almost 2 million of some thing. That is proof in the numbers. I can back these numbers up from the Power Stroke Registry.

Any engines before model year 95 were not Power Strokes. Yes they were all Navistar engines, but didn't carry the Power Stroke badge.

No doubt about it Ford has lead the way with a reliable diesel engine. From back in the 80s. GM never got a reliable engine, until the Crapamax, and even then I wouldn't want one. Aluminum heads on a cast block. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: And Dodge never offered any diesel until around 89 or so.
So while some people claim that Ford copies Didge body design, there is no doubt that Didge copied Ford to get into the diesel market. Cheby has had a diesel since the 80s as well, they just were not worth carrying the diesel name.

And I will say it again, I do not have a problem with the 5.9 Cummins, if I could have gotten a 12 valve in my F 250 I would do it in a minute. But never a 24 valve. I have heard way too many horror stories on that one.

Brickman
10-31-2002, 08:15 PM
Randy, Mdb landscaping surely you can think up some thing to say about these numbers. Come on now, surely I didn't finish this arguement with a few paragraphs on real numbers.

Sorry Swamper, I guess I put a stop to your war. :cry:

mdb landscaping
10-31-2002, 08:19 PM
ive come to the conclusion your just a brain dead ford owner brickman. nothing i can say will change you mind:D . like i said before, i like trash talking, but i really like fords powerstroke too. if this was a rank on cummins thread, im all game:blob1:

Brickman
10-31-2002, 08:50 PM
Not brain dead, just right. :D

I know it is really hard to fight hard numbers. :cry:

Randy J
10-31-2002, 09:18 PM
I would certainly hope there are more powerstrokes out there, Ford has always produced more pickups. But I guess you can go with the masses, or you can go with the best! ;)
By the way, what percentage of Cummins/Dodge produced are still on the road? Hum?
Oh, and I wouldn't say Dodge copied Ford getting into the diesel market. While Ford did have the way underpowered Navistar engine for much longer, Dodge was the first, and to this day only manufacturer to offer an engine that is used in heavy medium duty trucks, industrial applications, and marine applications - in a pickup!
By the way, I'm going to be looking for a light/medium duty truck with a flatbed before long, and as much as I hate to admit it, I'm considering Ford and Chevy also. Of course, Dodge is my first choice, but the either of the other 2 will suffice.
Randy

Swampbeast
10-31-2002, 11:23 PM
Randy, I looked it up, 72% of Dodge diesel pickup trucks produced are still on the road today. He he, your right Brickman, numbers dont lie!
Dodge didnt do diddly squat about all that. Thats Cummins that did all that stuff, Cummins makes a great engine. Ford uses International diesels, International makes Heavy duty and medium duty and light duty and industrial and marine engeins as well! So stow this nonsense about the heavy duty applications.
See Randy? Even you are starting to see the light, and are considering the Ford! Brickman, I think we may have a convert here......:D
I smoked a Dodge 2500 with Cummins diesel and propane injection today. He he! It was great. And then I also pulled a Chevy 3500 out of the mud to. Ha!

Brickman
10-31-2002, 11:31 PM
I am surprised that Odin hasn't weighed in in defense of the Cheby. :D

You know Randy I will be the first to agree with you that the first diesels in the Fords were underpowered. They still are, that is why I have a chip and propane. But while they may have been under powered the point I made was the big blue F had a diesel first.

Also why should Ford change to a heavy duty engine like you say when the current design has put so much $$ in their coffers.

The only thing that has made the Dodge truck market what it is today is the past 12 or 13 years of the Cummins.

Randy J
11-01-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Brickman
The only thing that has made the Dodge truck market what it is today is the past 12 or 13 years of the Cummins.
This I won't really argue, although I've been a Dodge truck fan since long before the Cummins.
Swampbeast, International may make heavy, medium, industrial and marine engines, but the Powerstroke is not one of them. Cummins is the only manufacturer that uses the same engine in pickups as it uses in medium duty, industrial & marine applications. International does offer the T444 in some of their smaller trucks, and you can get it in some of the larger (F550/F650) Ford trucks, but that's it. The same Cummins engine in my truck is used in Freightliners and many other medium duty trucks, heavy equipment, and fairly large boats. I believe you can even get the ISB in some of the larger International medium duty trucks. Although Ford has used a diesel in pickup applications longer than Dodge, the same Cummins engine I have has been used longer, in more applications, and I'm sure with more total numbers than the Powerstroke.
Randy

Brickman
11-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Although Ford has used a diesel in pickup applications longer than Dodge, the same Cummins engine I have has been used longer, in more applications, and I'm sure with more total numbers than the Powerstroke.

Cold hard numbers man. All I was talkin about was the pickup market. If you want to get into the "other" uses of engines there are Strokers in school buses, delivery trucks like UPS and Fed Ex, Uhaul trucks, Riders, ect.

I doubt there are more Cummins made than the PS but I could be wrong.

I have no problem with the Cummins, I have never been shy about saying I wouldn't mind having a 12 application in my F 250. I just think that the numbers are on my side in this arguement. :D

Randy J
11-01-2002, 11:50 AM
Well the good news here is I don't think any of us (with the possible exception of Dodge hating Gravel Rat) really disagree that much. We just have our own preferences, which is cool. You've got a nice Ford Brickman, and the Stroke works good for you. I've had a lot of experience with Dodges, and I know the Cummins works great. I've heard of problems with Strokes and Duramaxs, but I've also heard of problems with Cummins - just not as many:D ! I wouldn't sweat owning a Ford, or even an older Chevy diesel, but Dodge would be my first choice. As for the numbers, heck I don't know where to look that up, but just look at where they're used. Like the Strokes, Cummins is used in school busses, FedEx and UPS vans. They're not used much in UHaul & type applications, but like I said above, Cummins is used in "medium" duty trucks, heavy equipment, industrial and marine applications. (I'm talking 'bout the same engine as in my truck, not Cummins in general.) I don't recall ever seeing a Stroke used in heavy equipment, industrial, or marine applications, though as usual, I could be wrong;) .

Ramboy (otherwise know as Randy)

smalltime
11-03-2002, 01:16 AM
Love this thread.

2 weeks ago I got to go test drive the new 6.0 powerstroke. As part of the ride and drive I drag raced a F350 supercrew dualie with the 6 liter against a duramax Chevy in the same crewcab dualie configuration. We were both pulling 6000 pounds on trailers. I smoked the Chevy.

In the second pass, me and my driving partner switched trucks and jumped in the Chevy. My partner at the wheel pulled the holeshot and beat the Ford at the halfway mark. By the time we got to the finish line, the Ford had caught up and nosed ahead.

Granted this was only 200/400 yards, it still proved the point.

We watched a F250 with the 6.0 in a regular cab long bed just run away from a Dodge with the B in it. At the halfway point, it was beating the Dodge by 3 to 4 truck lengths, consistently. I was kind of sad after having spent 4 years in the the Cummins midrange plant. It is just a matter of the Cummins having to be detuned for the Dodge automatic though. Dodge really ought to just bite the bullet and go to ZF or Allison or someone and have them build an automatic transmission for them, because they sure don't know how to build one.

This give me the segway to the new Ford transmission. It will have a larger torque converter, larger input and output shafts and larger oil lines. It is simply beefier.

The new 6.0 liter is pretty cool. The F-350 dualie super crew with the King Ranch option was simply awesome. The King Ranch has previously only been available in the F-150. For those of you who like top of the line, you will love the King Ranch.

Steve

Randy J
11-03-2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by smalltime
It is just a matter of the Cummins having to be detuned for the Dodge automatic though. Dodge really ought to just bite the bullet and go to ZF or Allison or someone and have them build an automatic transmission for them, because they sure don't know how to build one.

This is true. Although, if you're willing to spend approximately $2000, or a little less (you can spend more if you want to also - up to about $4000), you can have an Dodge automatic transmission that will hold anything you can throw at it. Then you can get the max potential out of the Cummins. It is a shame that Dodge doesn't build the autos right from the factory. Here in a few months, that'll change though. The 48RE, a improved beefier verison of the 47RE, will be an option, with the HO Cummins.
Don't know about the newest Ford auto, but previous ones were no better than the Dodge. Everyone seems to like the Allison in the GM, but I don't think I'd care much for it. It tends to shift an awful lot - which of course could be a function of trying to keep the engine's RPMs up. And it eats a lot of power.
I'm sure for either the new Dodge or Ford transmissions, if you want to get the most out of the engine, you'll still need to do some beefing up yourself.

Randy

Brickman
11-03-2002, 09:10 AM
Randy you are right about the juicer trans. The Ford ones can be built to almost bullet proof as well.

I think the reason that the OEM trans are so weak is that they do not expect guys to tow much of any thing at all. As long as you run around empty there won't be much heat build up, and trans failure.

As for the Allisons I have heard plenty of horror stories on them too. There was a thread on PS I believe about guys that had more than one go out. And I heard they do shift way too much when running above 70 pulling any kind of load up a slight grade. All that back and forth would blow out any thing. Too bad the Duramoss doesn't put out enough power to hold em in the top hole.