PDA

View Full Version : Stick Edgers?

Baytownlawncare
01-21-2011, 07:07 AM
So I have an old McLane edger. Found out the other day it has an oil leak. Not sure what I am going to do at this point about repairing it since it is like 7 years old. I am looking at a couple of stick edgers and was wondering if a straight shaft or curved shaft is better. I will be using it mostly for edging around flower beds and sidewalks and drives. I am also a tall so which seems to be better for you guys?

lawnboy dan
01-21-2011, 07:15 AM
curved for everyday use and straight for tough jobs

ShooterK2
01-21-2011, 07:53 AM
I've never used a straight shaft, but I can tell ya, I really like my curved shaft edger. I hear that the straight shaft esters spin slower.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baytownlawncare
01-21-2011, 07:55 AM
I am starting to think curved now stihl or echo. Leaning toward stihl. Seems like they have more power for the money than the echo do.

mezammit
01-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Curved or straight is really on the user. Being you are taller a straight shaft edger might be a little more comfortable becaude they offer a little more length I think. When I worked for a company we used curved echos and they did a fine job. I personally use all redmax 2 stroke equipment. I am 6'7 and use the straight shaft edger by redmax. Go try a straight and curved shaft edger at your dealer and see what is more comfortable for you.

Robert Pruitt
01-21-2011, 08:53 AM
I like the curved shaft better because you can see what you are doing.

Turf Dawg
01-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Having run stick edgers now for at least ten years I will give you my personal preference and you can do what you want to with that.

As of right now I would recommend a Stihl 4Mix with the curved shaft. These seem to have more torque than the two stroke and have a high blade speed. The straight shafts are good for tuff cutting but the blade speed is less than half that of a curved shaft. If you look at Stihl's web site I think they list the FC90 [curved shaft] with a blade speed around 8500rpm's and list the FC95 [straight shaft] with a blade speed of around 4200rpm's. The higher blade speed seems to make a cleaner edge compared to the straight shafts. I would personally like for someone to make a straight shaft edger with the same blade speed as the curved's but I have yet to find one. I have run Echos, Redmax and Stihl two stroke edgers but none of these has the same torque as the Stihl 4Mix. I still prefer two stroke string trimmers, but for a edger give me the Stihl 4Mix until they make a straight with a high blade speed.

Like I say this is just one mans opinion and that with 1$ will get you a bad cup of coffee, but after you run a stick edger for weekly maintenance on curbs, sidewalks and driveways you will wonder how you ever lived without one.

Big C
01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Straight shaft=more torque...and will be easier on tough jobs.

Valk
01-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Just an observation, but, it seems backwards that a curved shaft stick~edger would turn the blade at a higher RPM that a straight shafted stick~edger? Are we talking about gearing at the head perhaps?

Robert Pruitt
01-21-2011, 01:59 PM
the reason i like the curved is that you have the wheel on the concrete and can see the blade working near the concrete and grass.

Robert Pruitt
01-21-2011, 02:12 PM
also used it to install a invisible fence wire about a month ago.

Patriot Services
01-21-2011, 03:28 PM
I would repair the McLane. It's only a gasket and a seal. I still use mine for sawing through neglected St. Aug. Curved shaft Echo for daily use on established edges.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
01-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Curved is the better investment in my opinion if in your line of work you are doing curved beds....you can not get the same performance out of the straight as you can with the curved. As far as brands my vote is with the stihl FS 90....I do not think you will be happier with the performance and reliability.

Robert Pruitt
01-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Curved is the better investment in my opinion if in your line of work you are doing curved beds....you can not get the same performance out of the straight as you can with the curved. As far as brands my vote is with the stihl FS 90....I do not think you will be happier with the performance and reliability.

when making a curved bed,use your trimmer with a piece of rope attached to a tree.for bigger bed use the trimmer to make the outline of a bed.

Landscape Poet
01-22-2011, 01:56 AM
when making a curved bed,use your trimmer with a piece of rope attached to a tree.for bigger bed use the trimmer to make the outline of a bed.

I was not talking about making the bed, I was talking about maintaining the edge of the bed, something which most of our properties down here have to have done weekly.

Richard Martin
01-22-2011, 02:46 AM
I was not talking about making the bed, I was talking about maintaining the edge of the bed, something which most of our properties down here have to have done weekly.

I've tried doing that multiple times with my edger and I always find it's a whole lot easier with a trimmer turned verticle.

BTW, I have a Stihl FC95 that replaced a Stihl FC75. I ended up taking the curved shaft off of the 75 and put it on the 95.

Robert Pruitt
01-22-2011, 09:34 AM

maintain it every week with the trimmer.

Landscape Poet
01-22-2011, 09:46 AM
maintain it every week with the trimmer.

I will on occasion use the trimmer, however, it has been my experience that using the trimmer in place of the edger does a couple things.

1. Not a detailed looking finish
2. Seems to almost burn or create a unwanted appearance on the St. Augustine.

Patriot Services
01-22-2011, 10:22 AM
I will on occasion use the trimmer, however, it has been my experience that using the trimmer in place of the edger does a couple things.

1. Not a detailed looking finish
2. Seems to almost burn or create a unwanted appearance on the St. Augustine.

I think this is the result of trying to cut the toughest part of the plant. Edges are usually more of the vine and less of the blades. String trimmers tend to tear and can actually uproot a large portion of the plant.
Posted via Mobile Device

travski
01-22-2011, 04:38 PM
I also have a McLane edger... It still works but I may have to replace it with a stick edger because I am running out of room on my trailer.

Its my understanding that a straight shaft will last longer than a curved shaft trimmer because the straight shaft is better for heavy jobs. The straight shaft trimmer will generally use less HP between engine and cutting head and also includes a more rigid drive line that will transmit force better and with-stand daily use. I am not an expert but thats my understanding.

yardguy28
01-22-2011, 05:46 PM
i personally use a straight shaft edger for weekly maintenance. it's the attachment for my kombi motor.

i hate curved shafts. when i did have one, the only comfortable way i could operate it was to walk backwards with it. it was just to awkward walking forward.

i strictly use it for sidewalk and driveway edging. any edging that is done around the beds is maintained with the trimmer.

cms289
01-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Ok, on the stihls, the straight are geared 1 to 2. The curved are 1 to 1.24. The engine speed is the same. The straight is 4150 rpm blade speed and the curved is 8500 rpm blade speed. That would say that the straight is geared for more torque at the blade so could do heavy duty work, but the curved would do lighter duty work faster. Stihl has a lifetime (to org owner) warranty of most all of their shafts (some of the tree trim stuff is excluded).

Baytownlawncare
01-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I would repair the McLane. It's only a gasket and a seal. I still use mine for sawing through neglected St. Aug. Curved shaft Echo for daily use on established edges.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am seriously thinking of repairing the McLane but it is old but still can cut the heck out of really overgrown drives and walks but if I continue to use it heavily I think it will really wear out. I want something that is light and fast for maintenance cuts. I want to save the McLane for big heavy jobs and use the stick edger after you get the edge in shape. I just need to find time to repair the McLane. Working two jobs and family makes tinkering in the garage difficult at best.