PDA

View Full Version : U. S. LAWNS any in your area

mezammit
01-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Hey guys,
Last year in my city I noticed US Lawns cutting a lot of the city parks and residential boulevards. I know this is a franchise company. Last year I talked to the people in charge of the city lawn care and he said nothing is contracted the parks and rec department perform all the lawn care. I know that is not true just seeing the US lawn guys. Any of you guys have this company in your area? They just do the large area mowing with very little professionalism at least this crew here not trying to bash anyone that may have a US Lawn franchise.

Kickin Your Grass
01-21-2011, 09:19 AM
They are not here in my area. They do call me a couple times of year trying to get me to franchise tho.

John deer Z
01-21-2011, 09:56 AM
They are here in knoxville Tn. but just see the trucks around town.

clydebusa
01-21-2011, 10:21 AM
There is one in Tulsa. Go to this site. I look into a few years back.

http://www.uslawns.com/locations

Richard Martin
01-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Yes. I see this Poindexter's truck driving all over the place. I don't see them actually do anything but I do see them around.

http://www.uslawns.com/images/stories/jreviews/239_Greenville_1276904459.jpg

mezammit
01-21-2011, 11:24 AM
No really interested in joining it but how does it work. Just like any other franchise. You work for them and they get a percentage of the profit. I wonder who performs all the leg work as far as getting contracts too? Anyone know?

MileHigh
01-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Residential boulevards are called HOA's.

USLAWNS is one of the top 20 lawn companies in America. They go national and are huge... They just franchise there name out to business owners and give them jobs. The business owners have to furnish all there own equipment, labor and insurance, but also have to plaster there truck in USLAWNS wraps.

USLAWNS gets all there own work. The franchise owner does not worry about landing any contracts...just keeping them going good.

NOT FOR ME....I respect them...I just hate it...There like a property management company under the name USLAWNS, that subs out the work to companies that drive around trucks that have USLAWNS all over there rig...ridiculous.. but a great idea.

Agape
01-21-2011, 11:39 AM
No really interested in joining it but how does it work. Just like any other franchise. You work for them and they get a percentage of the profit. I wonder who performs all the leg work as far as getting contracts too? Anyone know?

you do, you buy all the equip, they give some forms, you get a sales call list from them- a stupid deal.

mezammit
01-21-2011, 11:55 AM
I should rephrase my residential boulevard statement they would be the city boulevards not residential. My wrong. Yeah there is one franchise US in my area and in seems every year I see him cutting more of the cities properties. I wanted to get in last year but was miss led by a city official. How early do you guys start approaching city contracts and businesses in your area?

Agape
01-21-2011, 12:56 PM
I should rephrase my residential boulevard statement they would be the city boulevards not residential. My wrong. Yeah there is one franchise US in my area and in seems every year I see him cutting more of the cities properties. I wanted to get in last year but was miss led by a city official. How early do you guys start approaching city contracts and businesses in your area?

cold call em and ask if and when they would be accepting bids.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
01-21-2011, 03:39 PM
I looked at this a while back, their website gives you all the info. From what I remeber they will help with leads, but it is really up to you. You also have to have alot of cash to start. I think it was like 35k+ a years operating costs+ some other stuff. We got them here I only seen them do one thing and thats in the commerical complex my day jobs is at. Quality of work is awful, but that is the one owner

Agape
01-21-2011, 04:36 PM
I looked at this a while back, their website gives you all the info. From what I remeber they will help with leads, but it is really up to you. You also have to have alot of cash to start. I think it was like 35k+ a years operating costs+ some other stuff. We got them here I only seen them do one thing and thats in the commerical complex my day jobs is at. Quality of work is awful, but that is the one owner

having to be the cheapest bidder also means cutting corners and quality to make a buck.

johnsonslawnmanagement
01-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Have one near me. Do renisant banks and ryans buffet. All commercial accounts. I always like seeing their trucks because you know what accounts to cold call. I pick up 1-3 accounts a year that the did the year before. 3-6 man crews and always in a hurry. They did their fall mulchings August 1 this year
Posted via Mobile Device

RoyalTree
01-21-2011, 07:48 PM
I know the local guy around here seems to be doing well. The quality is not bad at all from what I have seen. They have lots of GOOD contracts. In the 4 or 5 years he has been around he has about 10 trucks now I think and most crews are very large. He has one tree crew (3 guys), one spray crew (2 guys), One sprinkler crew (2 guys), and 7 mowing crews with 5-7 guys on each crew.

mezammit
01-22-2011, 09:14 AM
having to be the cheapest bidder also means cutting corners and quality to make a buck.

Yeah Agape,

That is very true in many areas. I find it funny how a contractor sees a bid from previous years and immediately saw I can do it cheaper. Yes seeing previous numbers can be useful but not always very true.
And when you quote a customer a higher number because they are unhappy with there current service they go what? My guy is only charging me $20! Had this same incident last year. Guy called me out because the company he had would cut the grass with the discharge side towards his truck getting grass all over truck was a mess. He looked at me crazy because my price was like 20% more than what he was paying. I am a firm believer that hard quality work pays off.

vanncann
01-22-2011, 10:46 AM
There was a US Lawn franchise here in Dothan for a while, but they pulled his franchise when they found out about his past. Apparently at that time they didn't do a back ground investigation on the applicant and a bad one got in...

Mike Blevins
01-22-2011, 11:22 AM
There is one here also. They have alot of the bigger cemetaries and they also have residential. They get great deals on mowers also. I have to go bid an apartment complex they are also bidding next week. They are usually very high on their bids. They want to do mulch,fert,aeration,overseeding,shrubs,mowing,etc,etc,. This place just wants a mow,trim,blow,and go. And that is what I'm looking to ad for my business this year. It will be around a $2000.00 dollar account per month with about 4.5 hours of work a week.

Agape
01-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Yeah Agape,

That is very true in many areas. I find it funny how a contractor sees a bid from previous years and immediately saw I can do it cheaper. Yes seeing previous numbers can be useful but not always very true.
And when you quote a customer a higher number because they are unhappy with there current service they go what? My guy is only charging me $20! Had this same incident last year. Guy called me out because the company he had would cut the grass with the discharge side towards his truck getting grass all over truck was a mess. He looked at me crazy because my price was like 20% more than what he was paying. I am a firm believer that hard quality work pays off.

Thats why I don't chase down commercial accts brother, all the conmmercial stuff around here looks like a$$.

Bob_n_weave
01-22-2011, 01:11 PM
There is one here also. They have alot of the bigger cemetaries and they also have residential. They get great deals on mowers also. I have to go bid an apartment complex they are also bidding next week. They are usually very high on their bids. They want to do mulch,fert,aeration,overseeding,shrubs,mowing,etc,etc,. This place just wants a mow,trim,blow,and go. And that is what I'm looking to ad for my business this year. It will be around a $2000.00 dollar account per month with about 4.5 hours of work a week.

Thats $111.00 an hour. :usflag:

mezammit
01-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Questions for you guys while we are on the topic,
How do you guys bid on a larger property. Obviously it is per cut but does anyone measure out the property or is it just a per man hour plus expenses? Looking to bid some city property and just trying to get an idea without being a low ball.

TJ LAWN
01-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Questions for you guys while we are on the topic,
How do you guys bid on a larger property. Obviously it is per cut but does anyone measure out the property or is it just a per man hour plus expenses? Looking to bid some city property and just trying to get an idea without being a low ball.

End of February or March citys will put ads out for Bids....Check the News Hearld For Downriver.....This work goes VERY LOW....Trenton, Woodhaven, Wyandotte all advertise for bids in the Paper...Or just call those citys....I sat in on the bid opening for the City Of Trenton a year ago...It was a Total Joke how low this work went for....

Patriot Services
01-22-2011, 04:43 PM
There is a sticky on this franchise at the top of the forum. You need 29k to get in and they don't promise anything but a name. I read plenty of negatives to dissuade me. The rep on this site was also quite evasive when asked direct questions. If you have 29k to invest and can't build your own brand you have no clue what you are doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Two Seasons
01-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Thats $111.00 an hour. :usflag:

Actually, it is $103.36 per hour.

You must always use 4.3 weeks per month for your calcs.

johnnybravo8802
01-23-2011, 11:34 AM

USLAWNS is one of the top 20 lawn companies in America. They go national and are huge... They just franchise there name out to business owners and give them jobs. The business owners have to furnish all there own equipment, labor and insurance, but also have to plaster there truck in USLAWNS wraps.

USLAWNS gets all there own work. The franchise owner does not worry about landing any contracts...just keeping them going good.

NOT FOR ME....I respect them...I just hate it...There like a property management company under the name USLAWNS, that subs out the work to companies that drive around trucks that have USLAWNS all over there rig...ridiculous.. but a great idea.
Your info. is incorrect. I did extensive research on them because I was thinking of joining. You have to cough up around $30,000 to start with-They really prefer people with no contracts and no equipment. It's so they can start with a clean slate-you run the equipment they want you to run(Exmark) and you acquire the contracts they want you to acquire. If you have equipment, they will want you to eventually phase it out and go with Exmark and the same for your contracts-eventually phase them out and go with the contracts they give you leads on. With the contracts, they give you the national one's in your area but you have to mow at US Lawns prices whether you want to or not. You still have to operate like you normally would-go out and sell contracts but harder than you normally do(You have to perform). They will evaluate you every so often to make sure you're meeting regulations or you may be out the door. You also have a region and you can't go out of it, especially into another franchise domain-If there is a franchise in your area, you're out of luck-you can't sign on. For every dime you bring in, they take 4%. They basically tell you how to grow your business and act as a resource, when you need them.

In my opinion, if you have never been in the business and want to start one, this may be a good thing. However, to have a company come in and tell you to get rid of your equipment and your contracts you worked 20 yrs to acquire.......I won't finish that sentence!!!!!!!!:hammerhead: The idea is to get you out of the field and behind a desk running several trucks- they want you to grow indefinitely and if you're not on that band wagon...oh well, you don't fit the mold I love what I do and that's why I will always want to be on a mower and outside. You're in the wrong business if you don't live to ride a mower and be outside everyday. If I wanted to be behind a desk, I'd be a CPA. I basically decided I didn't want to advertise another company everyday(Versus my company) and give them 4% of all my earnings and I do all the same work I'm already doing. Personally, I think it's a bunch of crock just to get your money-They're asking for more than what they are putting in.

mezammit
01-23-2011, 11:39 AM
End of February or March citys will put ads out for Bids....Check the News Hearld For Downriver.....This work goes VERY LOW....Trenton, Woodhaven, Wyandotte all advertise for bids in the Paper...Or just call those citys....I sat in on the bid opening for the City Of Trenton a year ago...It was a Total Joke how low this work went for....

TJ,
Yeah it is sad what some of this work goes for people see other bid and are so quick to say I will do it cheaper with fuel prices always on the rise. Last year I was told that nothing was for bid in my area but I continued to see the US lawn guys cutting the city property. How did they get the contract if nothing was put out for bid?
I guess my main question for you guys is.. is there really an industry standard for bidding, or is it just different company's walking the property's looking to see how long it will take there crew and going off there calculated hourly rate and expenses?

johnnybravo8802
01-23-2011, 11:44 AM
TJ,
Yeah it is sad what some of this work goes for people see other bid and are so quick to say I will do it cheaper with fuel prices always on the rise. Last year I was told that nothing was for bid in my area but I continued to see the US lawn guys cutting the city property. How did they get the contract if nothing was put out for bid?
I guess my main question for you guys is.. is there really an industry standard for bidding, or is it just different company's walking the property's looking to see how long it will take there crew and going off there calculated hourly rate and expenses?
I'll explain it to you-It's about who has their hand the furthest in the cookie jar and who is prepared to kiss the right a@#!!! Politicians love kick backs!!!! I live in a small town and see it all the time-same guy doing all the city stuff and guess what, I never saw it for local bid in the newspaper......Hmmmm, I wonder how that works?!!!!!!!

johnnybravo8802
01-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Your info. is incorrect. I did extensive research on them because I was thinking of joining. You have to cough up around $30,000 to start with-They really prefer people with no contracts and no equipment. It's so they can start with a clean slate-you run the equipment they want you to run(Exmark) and you acquire the contracts they want you to acquire. If you have equipment, they will want you to eventually phase it out and go with Exmark and the same for your contracts-eventually phase them out and go with the contracts they give you leads on. With the contracts, they give you the national one's in your area but you have to mow at US Lawns prices whether you want to or not. You still have to operate like you normally would-go out and sell contracts but harder than you normally do(You have to perform). They will evaluate you every so often to make sure you're meeting regulations or you may be out the door. You also have a region and you can't go out of it, especially into another franchise domain-If there is a franchise in your area, you're out of luck-you can't sign on. For every dime you bring in, they take 4%. They basically tell you how to grow your business and act as a resource, when you need them.

In my opinion, if you have never been in the business and want to start one, this may be a good thing. However, to have a company come in and tell you to get rid of your equipment and your contracts you worked 20 yrs to acquire.......I won't finish that sentence!!!!!!!!:hammerhead: The idea is to get you out of the field and behind a desk running several trucks- they want you to grow indefinitely and if you're not on that band wagon...oh well, you don't fit the mold I love what I do and that's why I will always want to be on a mower and outside. You're in the wrong business if you don't live to ride a mower and be outside everyday. If I wanted to be behind a desk, I'd be a CPA. I basically decided I didn't want to advertise another company everyday(Versus my company) and give them 4% of all my earnings and I do all the same work I'm already doing. Personally, I think it's a bunch of crock just to get your money-They're asking for more than what they are putting in.

JohnnyRocker
01-24-2011, 09:54 PM

I wouldn't really consider them a lawn "company"...just some lazy tools with a name. I'm glad I'm not desperate enough to "bend over" for one of these rip offs. I guess if you're ******ed, or lazy, you can give it a try.

Patriot Services
01-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Since difference of opinions are frowned upon I have changed mine. This is an awesome company with a solid platform and a proven track record. I cannot find a better franchise model anywhere. Yes please I would like another glass of kool-aid.
Posted via Mobile Device

JohnnyRocker
01-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Since difference of opinions are frowned upon I have changed mine. This is an awesome company with a solid platform and a proven track record. I cannot find a better franchise model anywhere. Yes please I would like another glass of kool-aid.
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL...good one. Too funny!:laugh:

justanotherlawnguy
01-25-2011, 06:44 PM
I would be willing to bet that 99% of the guys on this site dont have a facility like this:

Say what you want about us lawns, they are doing something right in Tampa...even with all the used busted equipment on their beat up trucks and trailers..

mslawn
01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
I would be willing to bet that 99% of the guys on this site dont have a facility like this:

Say what you want about us lawns, they are doing something right in Tampa...even with all the used busted equipment on their beat up trucks and trailers..

I would love to have shop like that. One day I hopefully will.

Patriot Services
01-26-2011, 11:00 AM

Have you gone up to that building and talked to anyone. I'm pretty sure that building belongs to corporate, not the franchisee.
Posted via Mobile Device

justanotherlawnguy
01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Have you gone up to that building and talked to anyone. I'm pretty sure that building belongs to corporate, not the franchisee.
Posted via Mobile Device

I dont really care , have no interest in them!!!! I just thought it was a sweet shop.

But after doing 2 minutes of internet investigating, it turns out that their property on county line is owned by a corp in clearwater, fl which is owned by an individual who is the vp of us lawns of north tampa. according to us lawns website the franchisee is a guy who is listed as the president of us lawns north tampa.

so unless they are the pres and vp of the ENTIRE us lawns operation, it would stand to reason that the shop is simply owned by the franchisee... thats would i would gather from said information.

therefore your assumption of it being owned by corporate and not the franchisee is probably wrong. thanks for always assuming the worst in everything:hammerhead::hammerhead:

Funny thing I saw yesterday was a US Lawns truck working in this one sub that I always see them in and one of the workers had a Nanak's Shirt on

justanotherlawnguy
01-27-2011, 02:28 PM
here is an article that i also came across since there seems to be so much interest in US lawns lately:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/article1067728.ece

Patriot Services
01-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Interesting since Nanak's and Raymow got bought by Valley Crest a few months back. They can do all the foreclosures they want. The first sentence says it all " maybe make money today, maybe lose some". Great incentive to buy in. I saw one of their rust rigs yesterday too. I guess they don't care about their image after they get your franchise fee. I'm still waiting for a franchisee to post here and tell us something different. Long thread, still waiting.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnnybravo8802
01-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I dont really care , have no interest in them!!!! I just thought it was a sweet shop.

But after doing 2 minutes of internet investigating, it turns out that their property on county line is owned by a corp in clearwater, fl which is owned by an individual who is the vp of us lawns of north tampa. according to us lawns website the franchisee is a guy who is listed as the president of us lawns north tampa.

so unless they are the pres and vp of the ENTIRE us lawns operation, it would stand to reason that the shop is simply owned by the franchisee... thats would i would gather from said information.

therefore your assumption of it being owned by corporate and not the franchisee is probably wrong. thanks for always assuming the worst in everything:hammerhead::hammerhead:

Funny thing I saw yesterday was a US Lawns truck working in this one sub that I always see them in and one of the workers had a Nanak's Shirt on
You're right. Each franchise is owned by an individual or partnership and all equipment and buildings are owned by them. US lawns has nothing to do with that-it's just their name on the truck and operations are run as usual.

Oakleaf landscape
01-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Juan Hernandez, left, and Eliasar Vargas trim trees and bushes in the back yard of a foreclosed and vacant house in the Heather Lakes subdivision in Brandon recently. Both work for U.S. Lawns, which does the yards for a flat $10 each. (This was taken off the website that was stated a few posts up.)

You gotta be kidding me!!!

Alluring Lawns
01-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Had one franchisee in my area for a year and a half. Nice house, nice truck, all new equiptment, never saw the truck move and now all the signage is off the truck so I'm guessing it wasn't a huge success.

johnnybravo8802
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
I've known of several accounts where people have back peddled out of US Lawns for different reasons-US Lawns taking too much of the pie for what their putting in, US Lawns pricing national accounts cheaper than the individual would have, US Lawns having different future goals than the individual, US Lawns firing you for not performing, etc.

I knew of one guy who had been into the business for 20+ yrs, had the county school system and a lot of nice accounts and then joined US Lawns. He overextended himself and got into mowing interstates, bought $300+K in equipment, bought several NEW trucks, and hired 25+ guys. He didn't last one season and the state axed him and he had to sell all of his tractors and trucks. I'm not sure if he's still mowing but that was just a story about a US Lawns guy biting off too much.

Patriot Services
01-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Ok guys, I am still waiting for a current franchisee to step up and say something positive. Seeing as I am standing accused of always assuming the worst.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnnybravo8802
01-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Ok guys, I am still waiting for a current franchisee to step up and say something positive. Seeing as I am standing accused of always assuming the worst.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think you've already received your answer!!! When I spoke to a rep several yrs ago, he wasn't the friendliest and didn't seemed concerned if I joined or not-he didn't act like he had the time of day for me. That told me all I needed to know. They expected me to hand over $30,000 after 5 mins on the phone...yea, right!!!!:hammerhead:

Patriot Services
01-28-2011, 04:41 PM
I think you've already received your answer!!! When I spoke to a rep several yrs ago, he wasn't the friendliest and didn't seemed concerned if I joined or not-he didn't act like he had the time of day for me. That told me all I needed to know. They expected me to hand over $30,000 after 5 mins on the phone...yea, right!!!!:hammerhead:

What's the matter? The lure of unlimited 10.00 cuts to good for ya?
Posted via Mobile Device

johnnybravo8802
01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
What's the matter? The lure of unlimited 10.00 cuts to good for ya?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, not really but I can do $10 cuts and have my name on it instead of US Lawns!!!!!:laugh::laugh:Also, by the time they take 4%.....Yea, I'm all over it and ready to sign today.......:clapping::clapping:

Patriot Services
01-28-2011, 06:30 PM
No, not really but I can do $10 cuts and have my name on it instead of US Lawns!!!!!:laugh::laugh:Also, by the time they take 4%.....Yea, I'm all over it and ready to sign today.......:clapping::clapping:

Sorry, I meant 9.60 lawns.

johnnybravo8802
01-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Sorry, I meant 9.60 lawns.
I hear ya.:drinkup:

justanotherlawnguy
01-31-2011, 03:30 AM
if i wanted to buy a franchise, I would buy a Chipotle. you guys ever eat there? love that place and its always packed. of course it probably costs a mil to get your foot in the door.....

LibertyFarmLandscaping
01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
if i wanted to buy a franchise, I would buy a Chipotle. you guys ever eat there? love that place and its always packed. of course it probably costs a mil to get your foot in the door.....

Yes, very good food and what a huge burrito!

johnnybravo8802
01-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Yes, very good food and what a huge burrito!
That's what she said!!!!!!:weightlifter::weightlifter: