PDA

View Full Version : Run Flats or not? On a (Surfer)

BCR840
01-21-2011, 12:31 PM
I have an Everride Scorpion 52/23. I am always having to check the air pressure in the front caster tires which are the standard smooth air filled tire. Should I replace them with "run flats" or the "Ribbed" air filled tire?

Bumpmaster
01-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Put some Slime in those tires, works for me.

Jason Rose
01-21-2011, 02:58 PM
I agree, slime is probably the way to go, and certianly a load cheaper. The "solid" tires (usually not totally solid they claim to have some "give" to them because they are hollow in the center) are usually still hard as a rock and DO make for a bumpier ride. Since you have a stand-on machine the ride of the front wheels won't really effect you much though.

I'd still give the slime a shot. It usually lasts a good couple years minimum before you may have to add some again.

I prefer the smooth tires, less chance of tearing the turf when they swivel around. Again this is more of a midmount Z issue because of how much weight is on those castors. The thickness of the tire should be pretty much the same either way, depends on the brand and size though I'd guess.

I opted for the flat-free tires on my grasshopper midmount and frankly wish I hadn't... Even with the spring front castors the ride is pretty rough with them.

BCR840
01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
I appreciate the advice... I will give the slime a shot. Does it work best to fill the tire with slime and then add air or the other way around?

BINKY1902
01-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I always add the slime, air it up to the correct pressure, then drive it around a good bit so that it can work itself around the tire to where the leak is.

Greg78
01-21-2011, 05:42 PM
I appreciate the advice... I will give the slime a shot. Does it work best to fill the tire with slime and then add air or the other way around?

Just follow the instructions on the Slime. To add the slime you remove the valve core, so there will not be any air pressure in the tire when you are adding the Slime.

grassman177
01-21-2011, 07:55 PM
it works, but when you have to replace the tire...........someone is going to be pissed off at all the crap and "slime" all over the inside of the wheel. makes a nasty mess that you have to clean off well in order for the new tire to seat properly.

we went all no flats, the slightly bumpier ride is well worth the time saved without popping beads on front tires and nails and glass etc. if they were not like $270 i would opt for the rear tire no flats too, but that is crazy prices. front ones cost about $70 without the rim, $100with rim

Agape
01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Just follow the instructions on the Slime. To add the slime you remove the valve core, so there will not be any air pressure in the tire when you are adding the Slime.

better lift the tire off the ground when you do so the weight doesn't shoot the slime out when transitioning.

Greg78
01-21-2011, 08:36 PM
better lift the tire off the ground when you do so the weight doesn't shoot the slime out when transitioning.

On the front casters doing them one at a time all the weight will be on the other fully inflated tire.

Greg78
01-21-2011, 08:38 PM
it works, but when you have to replace the tire...........someone is going to be pissed off at all the crap and "slime" all over the inside of the wheel. makes a nasty mess that you have to clean off well in order for the new tire to seat properly.

Where I get my tires done, I always tell the tire guy ahead of time about the slime, and then I tip them really well.

grassman177
01-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Where I get my tires done, I always tell the tire guy ahead of time about the slime, and then I tip them really well.

good note, we change many of ours ourself, and it was a super mess. however we usually pay for the front castors to be put on, they are really hard to change. of course, now all of our castor wheels are no flats so there is no changing them anymore.

Bumpmaster
01-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Foam filled tires are usually a good substitute for a solid rubber tire. Should be able to have a front tire filled with foam for under $40.

Southern Elegance
01-22-2011, 02:36 PM
foam filled tires are very heavy and will burn the grass real bad in the heat of summer , unless lawn is irrigated.. been there done that . never again

Southern Elegance
01-22-2011, 02:36 PM
never had a flat though.. that was nice

mowerbrad
01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
I've never had a problem with air filled front casters but yet my current ztr has the no-flats. When my new Quik-Trak comes in March, I will probably have the dealer put no-flats on.

I don't think the ride is bad at all with the no-flats, honestly I don't think I notice any difference.

SouthSide Cutter
01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
I am leaning towards the air filled. One of mine has no flats and the other air filled. I think there is a big diffference in ride. One thing I do on air filled tires is put alot of Dawn dishwashing soap in them. We done this on all our drag slicks. Just dump it in the tire and rub it around untill you have a good coating. Alot of guys do this.

Jason Rose
01-22-2011, 08:05 PM
I am leaning towards the air filled. One of mine has no flats and the other air filled. I think there is a big diffference in ride. One thing I do on air filled tires is put alot of Dawn dishwashing soap in them. We done this on all our drag slicks. Just dump it in the tire and rub it around untill you have a good coating. Alot of guys do this.

What the heck would dishwashing liquid do in the tire? Make nice bubbles when you get a leak? I've never heard of that, so please enlighten us :waving:

As to the comment from someone else about foam filled or soild tires making tracks in dry turf. ALL tires will do that, air filled or not. That's why mowing a "stressed" lawn is not a good idea.

SouthSide Cutter
01-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Thats just a thing they done to keep tires from leaking air. It really doesnt dry out and works something like slime. People have done this for years around the race tracks.

Patriot Services
01-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Tire guys don't like to find anything but air inside a tire. Slime, soap or fix-a-flat is all nasty when the bead breaks.
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthSide Cutter
01-22-2011, 08:51 PM
The soap is nothing like the other stuff. Was a Hoosier tire dealer when I was drag racing. And we mounted all our racing slicks by hand. The soap just looked like a wax coating. Didnt flake and peel like slime. And was never a issue on the beads. This black stuff they use now on the beads sure looks like it would be nasty to get off.

BCR840
01-24-2011, 09:53 AM
I do like the idea of not having to worry about the air pressure being off every time I cut. I have really only had a couple of times where I had to plug a hole. But my main problem is it seems when I jump curbs, or just everyday use causes the front tires to lose pressure. Most / all of my lawns are Bermuda, and if I get out of balance it really shows up. I was thinking the run flats would solve that issue. I rarely have this issue with the back tires. I am sure it will be a rougher ride but that may be the sacrifice besides the price. Where do you guys find the deals on these things?