PDA

View Full Version : feedback on stihl fc75 edger

rywnygc
01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Ive been using my stihl trimmer to edge and I want cleaner lines. I am looking at the edger in the title and wanted to find out if anyone has one and the pros and cons. I am brand loyal so I just need to know if this is enough or if I need a different model. Thanks in advance!

Turf Dawg
01-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Ive been using my stihl trimmer to edge and I want cleaner lines. I am looking at the edger in the title and wanted to find out if anyone has one and the pros and cons. I am brand loyal so I just need to know if this is enough or if I need a different model. Thanks in advance!

I personally like the 4Mix Stihl's curved shaft for edgers like the FC90. I like the two stroke for string trimmers but for edging the 4Mix seem to have more torque.

BadRancher
01-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Mine has been ok. I had to have the carb replaced and warranty didn't cover it, said it was a fuel issue.

shepoutside
01-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Have 2 of these, love them!

LaLawnGuy
01-22-2011, 12:29 AM
I have the FCC95 and love it, put the head on a FS80 once and wasn't impressed. As the previous poster mentioned, the torque of the 4mix suits an edger much better. I wouldn't get a curved shaft, you really need the solid drive with an edger, IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Dawg
01-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I have the FCC95 and love it, put the head on a FS80 once and wasn't impressed. As the previous poster mentioned, the torque of the 4mix suits an edger much better. I wouldn't get a curved shaft, you really need the solid drive with an edger, IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

I do like the ideal of the solid shaft, but I have yet to find a straight shaft trimmer with the high blade speed of the curved's. I have both but only use the straight for very tough edging and use my curved about 98% of the time. The FC90 [curved] has a blade speed around 8500rpm's and the FC95 [straight] has a blade speed around 4200rpm's. In the 15 years of using a curved shaft stick edger I have yet to have a flex cable break. The higher blade speed on a curved leaves a MUCH cleaner and crisper edge. If I only could have one edger it would be a Stihl 4Mix curved. But like you said IMO

rywnygc
01-22-2011, 02:06 PM
thanks for the input. I still might get one because for tough spots I can still use the old shovel.

qualitylawnpro
01-22-2011, 02:39 PM
i had two a few years back put 3 shafts in each one finally just junked them. have a shindaiwa now no problems in 3 years!

StihlMechanic
01-22-2011, 03:50 PM
The engine on the fc75 is the same as a fs80 or fs85 trimmer. Awesome engine for sure, but will lack in power for heavy edging. I see no issues with straight shaft stihl edgers, and lots of broken cable with the curved shafts. If you keep the cable lubed it can help though. I plan to get a FC95 straigt shaft 4mix this year because I never see issues with them and rarely see one come through the shop.

Landscape Poet
01-22-2011, 05:42 PM
I see no issues with straight shaft stihl edgers, and lots of broken cable with the curved shafts. .

Stihl has a lifetime warranty on this if I am correct dont they?

BigGreen1
01-22-2011, 05:51 PM
I picked up a fc55 off of Craigslist. I paid $50 for it. It has worked real well the few times I have needed it. I will probably use it 10 times per year but to re-establish a clean edge a trimmer won't do. The customer I specifically bought it for had a 3-4 inch overhang onto the sidewalk. A trimmer would not take care of that.

Tim