PDA

View Full Version : pics of our new blade grinding station

grassman177
01-21-2011, 07:37 PM
here it is, just finished putting it all together and setting it up.

it is a magna matic 9000 with full stand, balancer, vacuum attatchement and light. the total shabang.

we plugged the light, magna and vac all into an industrial power strip and now it is a one switch operation to turn it all on.

we built the shelves to house our blades and the vacuum is a wall mounted unit mounted in there for out of the way.

each mower type has its own cubby hole for the blades and it is labeled for ease of finding what you need etc.

this is one very smooth machine to operate too, used it for the first time today.

Lefet
01-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Very nice set up.... and I know where there are a few NEW machines that are going to need their blades sharpened!!!

grassman177
01-21-2011, 07:42 PM
yup, did one of them today, took forever though as new blades always do with the less than butterknife edges they come with

Lefet
01-21-2011, 07:48 PM
yup, did one of them today, took forever though as new blades always do with the less than butterknife edges they come with

just gave you more time to play with the new machine! :clapping:

grassman177
01-21-2011, 07:51 PM
yup, make sure to wear thick leather gloves too as them there blades get really hot having to grind new edges in the new blades.

01-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Nice setup. You might have to replace that plastic vac hose with some alumiflex from home depot after a few weeks of sharpening.

grassman177
01-21-2011, 08:36 PM
i was wondering about that, but i think the metal may cool down enough going thru the 90 of the sheild before getting into the plastic. i plan on keeping an eye on it, but have not heard any complaints about that and it is made for that in mind of using a regular shop vac.

good thoughts 290

SouthSide Cutter
01-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Maybe my eyes are not seeing it right but it looks like to me you can only sharpen one side of the blade. Looks like it needs turned 90 degrees.

SouthSide Cutter
01-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Man what a dope had to go det a blade to figure it out!!!!!!

ColvinsPS
01-21-2011, 09:17 PM
That's a sweet setup right there! How much of that was a kit? Did you fab the shelves?

robertsturf
01-21-2011, 09:29 PM
I can tell what you have been doing till 3am at the shop. Nice!!!!

KS_Grasscutter
01-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Is that an old RBG or something on the floor beside it? If so, are you wanting to get rid of it?

grassman177
01-21-2011, 10:05 PM
That's a sweet setup right there! How much of that was a kit? Did you fab the shelves?

by kit i think you are refering to the whole station. i believe it was $1500.00

yes we fabbed the shelves. all cabinet grade plywood and used a nail gun to put tons of nails in it. it is very strong and def wont be bowing any time soon:weightlifter:

grassman177
01-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Is that an old RBG or something on the floor beside it? If so, are you wanting to get rid of it?

it is a wall rbg grinder. it is in great shape but dirty as heck. we are going to sell it, but roberts turf has first dibs. i will let you know if he does not pick it up(soon on notification)

thing is, it would be expensive to ship, best as a local pickup item. i think we have a wheel or two extra for it too. it also has the grit colletion box

grassman177
01-21-2011, 10:08 PM
we still have to stock the shelves with blades. we need to order some new ones as we got rid of a bunch of old ones. those are a few new ones and ones worth keeping.

DLAWNS
01-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Dude, that is one sick setup. You have inspired me to make mine better...lol. If you don't mind how much did the light and the vacuum attachment run ya? I definitely want to hook mine up to a vacuum to reduce the shavings. I also need to make some extra shelves for my blades. Good work man!Thumbs Up

44DCNF
01-22-2011, 01:11 AM
Very Nice. I would only add a small cabinet to keep some eyes and ears protection stored in. A cabinet to keep them clean, as opposed to just hanging them nearby. I like how you did the shelves. You could add a fan to the top of the shelves to keep a breeze on you in the stifling heat of a ks summer.

grassman177
01-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Dude, that is one sick setup. You have inspired me to make mine better...lol. If you don't mind how much did the light and the vacuum attachment run ya? I definitely want to hook mine up to a vacuum to reduce the shavings. I also need to make some extra shelves for my blades. Good work man!Thumbs Up

i have no idea, my dad bought the whole shabang at GIE. together it was about $1500 for the entire set up as seen.

he also designed the shelves for the least wasted material. i think we only had the scrap on top of the shevles you can see after building it with two sheets of plywood

grassman177
01-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Very Nice. I would only add a small cabinet to keep some eyes and ears protection stored in. A cabinet to keep them clean, as opposed to just hanging them nearby. I like how you did the shelves. You could add a fan to the top of the shelves to keep a breeze on you in the stifling heat of a ks summer.

if you look at the top right cubby, those boxes are eye and hand protection. one for glasses, one for gloves. sealed to keep them clean.

hahha, i even labeled them, if you look closely you can see the while labels on each face of the cubby, telling what is in each bin.

our shop has six fans on the walls in that area with the flip of a switch on the wall turning them on. makes ahuge difference.

Landscape Poet
01-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Hey,

Ask you dad why he decided to go to Magnamatic instead of the RBG, just interested. Magna claims have been made that they will automatically place the correct angle on the blades for you, however in reviewing their sales catalog I think I read only certain models actually have a guide on them.

Currently using a friends RBG must say it does the job but getting the angle down takes awhile. So I am interested in your dads purchase reasons to help me gather info on my own future purchase.

By the way, when you come down here next month you could just bring me that old RBG - let that be your one carry on item!

grassman177
01-22-2011, 03:55 AM
i would if they would let me!!!!!

i know the same angle no matter what is one of the big selling points. the other guys are not as good as i was using the rbg to keep from getting the angle too steep on the blades from laziness when sharpening.

that is taken away now by this. it is a much smoother machine to operate, and the other big selling point is the ability to vacuum the grit away while sharpening instead of the big mess the other one can make despite the grit collector. the whole grinder is enclosed way more too which further helps keep down the mess.

i am sure he will chime in, but those are the basic reasons that i am aware of.

the RBG is a very good sharpener and ours had much life still left as far as we can tell. we had a neary before that, and it was not very good and did not last.

a good pic of the RBG is in my picture thread about our shop and equipment from a while back.

KS_Grasscutter
01-22-2011, 05:16 AM
it is a wall rbg grinder. it is in great shape but dirty as heck. we are going to sell it, but roberts turf has first dibs. i will let you know if he does not pick it up(soon on notification)

thing is, it would be expensive to ship, best as a local pickup item. i think we have a wheel or two extra for it too. it also has the grit colletion box

Ok let me know if he don't want it. And I would definitely drive up there to pick it up if I did end up getting it, no sense in paying lots of money for shipping lol. Plus if you didn't mind it would give me an opportunity to check out your Toro Grandstand's, kinda wanting to get one of those in the next year or so.

JDKSERVLLC
01-22-2011, 10:07 AM
i have no idea, my dad bought the whole shabang at GIE. together it was about $1500 for the entire set up as seen.

he also designed the shelves for the least wasted material. i think we only had the scrap on top of the shevles you can see after building it with two sheets of plywood

Any chance you can post what vender your dad purchased this from?? I need to upgrade my sharpening station and you have the catís meow of sharpeners there!!!!

grassman177
01-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Ok let me know if he don't want it. And I would definitely drive up there to pick it up if I did end up getting it, no sense in paying lots of money for shipping lol. Plus if you didn't mind it would give me an opportunity to check out your Toro Grandstand's, kinda wanting to get one of those in the next year or so.

sure thing man, will know more next week, getting ready in a bit to start the day out for our cutomer apprectiation party tonight. gotta run, have a great weekend

grassman177
01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Any chance you can post what vender your dad purchased this from?? I need to upgrade my sharpening station and you have the catís meow of sharpeners there!!!!

it was direct from the manufacturer, at GIE. check out their website and the sponsor forum and give em a call. worth it as far as i can tell man, very smooth and easy to operate

robertsturf
01-22-2011, 02:16 PM
sure thing man, will know more next week, getting ready in a bit to start the day out for our cutomer apprectiation party tonight. gotta run, have a great weekend

Hey Ralphie, I won't be able to make it tonite, snow is moving in sooner than expected:dizzy::dizzy: I'm going to try and come out next week and check out your new toys:walking:

grassman177
01-22-2011, 04:47 PM
cool, see you then. too bad about the snow coming in. i hope it does not diminish our turn out too much

i had a small break in the action, just had to get on here. you know how it is , well maybe not, i am a lawnsite fantatic

Magna-Matic
01-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Hello Grassman177,

The set-up looks very nice and productive, I think the blade shelves you made are very nice and with a place for safety equipment and the vac.

Ok - now to hit some points that have been mentioned.

Where to buy our equipment: Factory direct.
www.magna-matic-direct.com

Selling points and advantages over bench grinders/RBG/Oregon/etc
1. Consistently grind 30 degree angles (all of our models do this, no accessories needed)
2. Our machines are smoother and quieter (balanced)
3. Magna-Matic makes all safety guards standard and vac hook-up
4. Cooler cutting with higher RPM motors and softer wheels - will not burn the blade - designed specifically for sharpening lawn mower blades.
5. Magna-Matic sharpeners are not based off of bench grinders like the others.
6. No limit to the cutting edge length
7. Sharpen mulching or conventional blades (MAG-8000 only)

There are more that can be discussed but there is a short list.

One person asked about the sparks with the vacuum - the sparks first contact the metal grit guard which acts as a heatsink to cool them before they get into the plastic tubes of the vac.

Another person asked if you could only do one side of the blade. This is a mis-conception and mis-use of the RBG style machines. The reason on RBG that you can access both sides of the grinding wheel is for doing right or left-handed blades.
(right-handed blades discharge to the right)
(left-handed blades discharge to the left)
(center discharge decks have one left and one right handed blade see Walker Brand mowers)
So if you want to do both sides of a right-handed blade on the MAG-8000 shown in Grassman177's images you stand on the side shown in the picture and first grind one side then turn the blade around to do the other. The wheel on Magna-Matic sharpeners only turns one direction (clockwise) so the blade is never pinched between the work table and the wheel for safety. If you want to do a left-handed blade you would need to turn the MAG-8000 around to access the back-side). The safety concern with the RGB style is that if the operator puts the blade in the wrong side with the wheel switched in the wrong direction the blade would pinch and cause a wheel breakage or other unsafe condition. Industrial safety standards ANSI/OSHA do not allow dual direction motors in industrial applications - Magna-Matic designs to industrial safety standards. Many companies in the lawn & garden field do not because it costs more, and they are not yet forced to because landscaping is considered "commercial" not "industrial".

I think this long winded post sums up the few points that were mentioned.

Please ask any other questions you may have, and congrats Grassman177 on a great service area for your lawn mower blade service.

Thank you,

Two Seasons
01-22-2011, 07:33 PM
We've got the Magna-Matic 8000 setup, just like yours, but ours also does mulching blades.

A couple of suggestions:
>always check your new blades for balancing---most are way off
>put a small child's sock over your balancer, magnet pushed back, after each use (not blade)---keeps the dust out
>wear safety glasses with side shields---you'll find out if you don't
>wear gauntlet gloves with Thinsulate---excellent heat shield

You won't need to use a metal hose, the plastic works fine, however, you will build up alot of fused together waste metal at the collector opening where it leaves the grinder and before the bend going down to the hose.

Even though you have a Shop Vac installed, you will still find a coating of grit that covers everthing in your shop over time. We just sweep it up a couple times a season. And it coats the walls too.

Magna-Matic is great. Excellent customer service after the sale and just a nice bunch of people to do business with. We even buy our wheels from them.

grassman177
01-23-2011, 02:09 PM
we will buy the wheels from them too, so they are spec.

great tip on the balancer, will do..

anything has to be better on the grit mess associated with grinding metal every day, like our rbg on the floor. made a huge mess, the wall behind it is covered with grit dust!

i balanced every blade after i sharpened them, i have never done this and am anxious to see the results in the cut of grass. we have never had a spindle go out, but this has to be better for everything with less vibration etc from a balanced blade.

Magna-Matic
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Hello All,

Thank you for the kind words Grassman177 and Two Seasons.

Just to clarify - you both have the MAG-8000 and all MAG-8000 sharpeners can do mulching blades - all tools and accessories for this feature come with the sharpener.

A recommendation about the build-up of grit in the grit guard - if you lightly tap the outside of the grit guard with a plastic mallet, the build-up will fall right out.

Yes, while the shop vac is a good solution, there will still be some dust that still escapes - we are working on designing our own Air Cleaner for our sharpeners because currently in the industry air cleaners are very expensive. So we are designing one specificly sized to our sharpeners to also eliminate the dust aspect.

Grinding Wheels - because we are an OEM buyer for Norton Abrasives, we get the best possible pricing and keep it low for our customers. All wheels from Magna-Matic are balanced to a much higher than normal spec - and all wheels from Magna-Matic are speed tested to 5200 RPM for a much greater safety margin. A similar but standard wheel from Grainger or others will be over $50 per wheel - where ours are $28.50.

Thank you,

supercuts
01-24-2011, 12:40 PM
WOW, i wish i had that much time to orginize my shop. looks good, i cant stand the mess from the grinder. looks like you have too many different types of mowers based on all those different blades. you could save alot of wall space if you make those cubby holes deep instead of wide

Grass Shark
01-24-2011, 01:36 PM
sweet setup grassman

Bob_n_weave
01-24-2011, 02:10 PM
I bought the Mag 9000 with blade balancer and highly recommend it.

grassman177
01-24-2011, 02:48 PM
WOW, i wish i had that much time to orginize my shop. looks good, i cant stand the mess from the grinder. looks like you have too many different types of mowers based on all those different blades. you could save alot of wall space if you make those cubby holes deep instead of wide

yes and no, we have it also separated into crew mowers and type as this way we have the same blades used on the same mower. each crew has their own mowers so this way it is accountable.

we have toro, wright, kubota and everride. but, many of the blades are interchangeable in size.

grassman177
01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
i used it this morning to sharpen 20 blades back to back all new, which everyone knows takes a long time to get to the edge. the mag was smooth the whole time, i am ultra impressed. was easier on my hands by along shot than the previous grinder we have

PLS-Tx
01-24-2011, 03:00 PM
That's a very nice setup!!!!

Thanks for the review on the Magna-Matic.

Jason Rose
01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I bought an RBG 2 years ago, it's the 3/4 hp model with the 9" disk. While I like it I too hate getting the angle for the blades just right, but it's also nice that it's adjustable. Blades that have been hand sharpened with an angle grinder and even new blades don't all have the same edge angle. It takes a long time and a lot of excessive metal removal to get them all to be the same. Granted I try to keep them all the same as much as I can but when I run across sets that are a different angle i prefer to just raise or lower the wheel to adapt to the angle of the edge that's already there. Iv'e attemped to re-angle some and it takes forever and just heats the hell out of the blade. I assume the factory angle on ALL blades is supposed to be 30 degrees? If so I honestly have never cared for the factory angle, I prefer mine to be not quite as "long" it makes for a more razor edge, longer area that the blade is pretty thin and I find them to chip and get nicks in the edge a lot worse. If I had a little angle measuring tool I could tell you what mine are sitting at... It's not a dramaitic difference from what the factory edge is honestly.

I bought the RBG because I wanted the ability to reverse the wheel direction because I do have walker mowers but I don't even use the blade grinder for any of the walker blades because they are just easier to do with the angle grinder. I have to adjust the angle for the left hand blade (normal rotation) and then adjust again for the other blade, switch which side the grit collector is on and then for whatever reason the wheel isn't "balanced" when rotating the opposite direction. My garage and bench wouldn't allow for use on the other side if I had a magnamatic, there's just no room!

It's obvious there's pros and cons to both types of grinders... For the money I could have went with either brand and spent about the same.

Grassman that is a nice set up, you guys are lucky to have the room, an actual SHOP to work out of. Us small fries don't have that luxury, yet anyway. My wish list in the future is a house with some land so I can build a 40x60 shop! It gets really old having to work in the confines of my little garage and sheds. I wish I could have demoed different blade grinders before buying. the videos are great but nothing beats hands-on. It's a lot of money for a tool that only does one job...

grassman177
01-24-2011, 05:26 PM
it is. i did reangle as few blades, and it took about as long as grinding a new set so no big difference.

i have always used about a 35 degree angle i would suppose when sharpening, but the other guys go the easy route and keep lowering the wheel so they only have to make a few passes to sharpen it. this makes for a more blunt cutting edge and less blade life.

i think a slight bit higher like i tried to keep mine using the rbg is better, but then again, you should not be running overs stuff right?haha

eco.lawns
02-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Do you guys sharpen all your blades everyday? Im not a veteran by any means, i do mine about once a week and dont see a need to do them more than that? is there something im missing?

grassman177
02-10-2011, 10:56 PM
no, not really. it is more about what you are mowing and how many hours, and dont forget the blade quality.

everyday is our thing, but really more equal to 8-10hrs of mowing. they are dull after that to my liking anyhow, some dont mind a more dull edge, i hate it. tears the grass tip.

if you are a real professional and actually know anything about the grass plant, a very crisp cut blade is many times more healthy for the plant as it can heal the wound quick and has less chance to get disease or get drought stressed.

this is of course not directed at you, just my opinion

sedge
02-10-2011, 11:23 PM
here it is, just finished putting it all together and setting it up.

it is a magna matic 9000 with full stand, balancer, vacuum attatchement and light. the total shabang.

we plugged the light, magna and vac all into an industrial power strip and now it is a one switch operation to turn it all on.

we built the shelves to house our blades and the vacuum is a wall mounted unit mounted in there for out of the way.

each mower type has its own cubby hole for the blades and it is labeled for ease of finding what you need etc.

this is one very smooth machine to operate too, used it for the first time today.

And here I spent $39 bucks on a Ryobi grinder and $99 for a steel shelf......

I have sharpened thousands of blades, can some one please explain what the advantage is to the stand? I mean a $1,362 dollar advantage.

thanx

eco.lawns
02-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the tip grassman. 8-10 hrs for me is roughly every other day. Im ganna try that and see if I notice a difference

Magna-Matic
02-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Hello Sedge,

This was posted on the 3rd page of this thread, I'm pasting in this post since it addresses some of your questioning of professional commercial eqiupment versus homeowner big box store tools. Using our equipment to properly maintian rotary lawn mower blades is chosen over angle and bench grinders for the same reason that lawn care professionals use commercial zero turn mowers and not big box riding mowers. If you want repeatable consistent quality at a commercial duty cycle - commercial equipment is required. Now if you are a homeowner and not a lawn care professional then yes - our equipment is more than you need, however we have a large and growing number of homeowners buying our equipment.

Here is the post from PAGE 3 of this thread
Hello Grassman177,

The set-up looks very nice and productive, I think the blade shelves you made are very nice and with a place for safety equipment and the vac.

1. Consistently grind 30 degree angles (all of our models do this, no accessories needed)
4. Cooler cutting with higher RPM motors and softer wheels - will not burn the blade - designed specifically for sharpening lawn mower blades.

One person asked about the sparks with the vacuum - the sparks first contact the metal grit guard which acts as a heatsink to cool them before they get into the plastic tubes of the vac.

Another person asked if you could only do one side of the blade. This is a mis-conception and mis-use of the RBG style machines. The reason on RBG that you can access both sides of the grinding wheel is for doing right or left-handed blades.
(center discharge decks have one left and one right handed blade see Walker Brand mowers)
So if you want to do both sides of a right-handed blade on the MAG-8000 shown in Grassman177's images you stand on the side shown in the picture and first grind one side then turn the blade around to do the other. The wheel on Magna-Matic sharpeners only turns one direction (clockwise) so the blade is never pinched between the work table and the wheel for safety. If you want to do a left-handed blade you would need to turn the MAG-8000 around to access the back-side). The safety concern with the RGB style is that if the operator puts the blade in the wrong side with the wheel switched in the wrong direction the blade would pinch and cause a wheel breakage or other unsafe condition. Industrial safety standards ANSI/OSHA do not allow dual direction motors in industrial applications - Magna-Matic designs to industrial safety standards. Many companies in the lawn & garden field do not because it costs more, and they are not yet forced to because landscaping is considered "commercial" not "industrial".

Please ask any other questions you may have, and congrats Grassman177 on a great service area for your lawn mower blade service.

Thank you,

grassman177
02-11-2011, 03:06 PM
pretty much sums it up magna matic. it really is a better sytem. your blades will last longer and cut better, so will your mower and spindles.

sedge
02-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Hello Sedge,

This was posted on the 3rd page of this thread, I'm pasting in this post since it addresses some of your questioning of professional commercial eqiupment versus homeowner big box store tools. Using our equipment to properly maintian rotary lawn mower blades is chosen over angle and bench grinders for the same reason that lawn care professionals use commercial zero turn mowers and not big box riding mowers. If you want repeatable consistent quality at a commercial duty cycle - commercial equipment is required. Now if you are a homeowner and not a lawn care professional then yes - our equipment is more than you need, however we have a large and growing number of homeowners buying our equipment.

Here is the post from PAGE 3 of this thread
Hello Grassman177,

Thank you,

pretty much sums it up magna matic. it really is a better sytem. your blades will last longer and cut better, so will your mower and spindles.

I am not going to get in a big fight over this, but a 30 degree angle vs a 24 or a 35 don't mean squat after about 30 minutes of mowing. I have sharpened thousands of blades on all different types of mowers. Sharpened at the end of every day, but I know several guys that sharpen once a week and you could not tell the difference in grass. Some these mowers ran 2 hours and some all day long, not a big difference. So many variables, some have rocks, some have more dirt etc.

I hope it works out great for ya grassman177. I did not mean my question as a dig, just cannot see the advantage of spending that kind of jing. The wheel needs to be dressed to keep it square, the stop needs to be moved closer after so many blades to keep the proper distance etc.

Jason Rose
02-11-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm in the garage right now fighting with my Wall RBG... The wheel seems out of round but using the wheel dresser I bought from Wall that's for the machine won't correct the problem. Running the blades through it is a lot harder than it should be because of how the wheel makes the "bounce" off the wheel all the time.

From what I can tell on the magna you don't use the face of the end of the wheel, the blade contacts the wheel at an angle, is this right? So the wheel edge actually is angled rather than being flat like on mine. If that makes any sence... So with the magna there would be no need to "dress" the wheel, correct? I've done this one again and again and all its doing is wearing the wheel away faster.

I checked my blade edge angle too, and yeah I'm running between 35 and 40 degrees instead of the factory 30 degrees. Its just so hard to get the angle right with the RBG. Trial and error actually, and get it set right and then the next blades for a different mower it has to be adjusted again... Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
02-11-2011, 04:56 PM
I am not going to get in a big fight over this, but a 30 degree angle vs a 24 or a 35 don't mean squat after about 30 minutes of mowing. I have sharpened thousands of blades on all different types of mowers. Sharpened at the end of every day, but I know several guys that sharpen once a week and you could not tell the difference in grass. Some these mowers ran 2 hours and some all day long, not a big difference. So many variables, some have rocks, some have more dirt etc.

I hope it works out great for ya grassman177. I did not mean my question as a dig, just cannot see the advantage of spending that kind of jing. The wheel needs to be dressed to keep it square, the stop needs to be moved closer after so many blades to keep the proper distance etc.

thanks, and it is by far serving us very well. we sharpen blades on 15 mowers daily almost.

also, we have wheel dressers but they seem to stay square if you sharpen correctly anyhow. the stop? dont know what that means but the service platform )the part the blades rest on) stays in place and the wheel moves closer to the platform in an arc pattern so as to keep the angle the same always. we keep it close and adjust it as needed.

actually you could techincally adjust the platform to whatever the degrees you wish as it is adjustable and clampable in place. just some more info for you

grassman177
02-11-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm in the garage right now fighting with my Wall RBG... The wheel seems out of round but using the wheel dresser I bought from Wall that's for the machine won't correct the problem. Running the blades through it is a lot harder than it should be because of how the wheel makes the "bounce" off the wheel all the time.

From what I can tell on the magna you don't use the face of the end of the wheel, the blade contacts the wheel at an angle, is this right? So the wheel edge actually is angled rather than being flat like on mine. If that makes any sence... So with the magna there would be no need to "dress" the wheel, correct? I've done this one again and again and all its doing is wearing the wheel away faster.

I checked my blade edge angle too, and yeah I'm running between 35 and 40 degrees instead of the factory 30 degrees. Its just so hard to get the angle right with the RBG. Trial and error actually, and get it set right and then the next blades for a different mower it has to be adjusted again... Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

i had that issue many times. it is a very small middle ground and you may be over doing it back and forth trying to square it back up.

i cant answer your technical questions too well, but i have found the magna matic has balanced wheels and they really dont need dressing , especially since the rpms are better suited to blades and you dont get the metal bluing and burn you do with the rbg.

it will work back through, but i think this is one of the reasons magna matic is the answer. this machine has run very smooth and i have worn about 1.5 ainches off the wheel from so oooooo much sharpening. still just as vibration free as the first day.

sedge
02-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Anybody have a video on how this sharpens the blades?

thanx

Landscape Poet
02-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Anybody have a video on how this sharpens the blades?

thanx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRgSeWs5gTM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmR7kUlVKl4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mi1NSw7rBY

sedge
02-11-2011, 07:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRgSeWs5gTM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmR7kUlVKl4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mi1NSw7rBY

Kool, thanx.

Worked just as I thought it did pretty much.

It has 2 advantages as I can see.

1. Less messy

2. correct angle

Messy for me is a bigger reason then angle. I can get a 30 degree angle pretty close every time and I don't think it really matters all that much.

In the end would i buy it, maybe. If i did that many blades everyday, possible.

wambam
02-11-2011, 07:39 PM
nice i have a orogon 88-018 works realy well

grassman177
02-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Kool, thanx.

Worked just as I thought it did pretty much.

It has 2 advantages as I can see.

1. Less messy

2. correct angle

Messy for me is a bigger reason then angle. I can get a 30 degree angle pretty close every time and I don't think it really matters all that much.

In the end would i buy it, maybe. If i did that many blades everyday, possible.

less messy was a very HUGE decision maker for my dad when he decided to go with it. also, alot of the guys are poor blades sharpeners and this removes the operator error aspect.

coxslawncare
02-12-2011, 01:50 AM
looks good, very nice setup

Magna-Matic
02-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Hello All,

As mentioned our equipment is:

1. Sharpening the correct angle
2. Less messy

However do not forget that it will sharpen a consistent angle, when our grinding wheel is lowered to the work table the sharpener will grind 30 degrees any any wheel diameter. This makes your blades last incredibly longer.

When you sharpen by hand with an angle grinder, bench grinder, or even the RBG's or Oregons you do not have the same angle everytime you sharpen. When you change the angle you are removing substantially more steel than you need to. This as well as poor maintenance is the reason for short blade life (not counting impact damage/Bending).

The correct angle also provides you with the proper cutting TIP. The first 1-2 inches of the blade does 95% of the cutting work, and if the tip of the blade is not pointed (rounded) you are only tearing the grass and not cutting. It does not matter how easily you can cut your finger on the leading edge, but rather the geometry of the TIP. The TIP is your primary cutting tooth of the blade. Sharpening at the proper angle with Magna-Matic sharpeners re-produces the original geometry of the blade.

See here for some more info on blade TIP geometry.
http://www.magna-matic.com/page/blade-education

Thank you,

Magna-Matic
02-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Hello All,

Earlier some people asked questions about dressing the grinding wheel.

Magna-Matic Sharpeners DO NOT REQUIRE DRESSING.
Magna-Matic Corp does not sell a dressing tool.

It is also not necessary to rotate or turn the wheels around, there is no hurt in it, but also no real benefit.

The reason other machines and bench grinders require dressing is because of an improper matching of grinding wheel surface speed, type of steel being ground, and grinding wheel choice. Under normal circumstances dressing a grinding wheel is only necessary under the following conditions: improper wheel choice, wheel damage from mis-use, or specific wheel profile required for job.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic
02-14-2011, 12:51 PM

From what I can tell on the magna you don't use the face of the end of the wheel, the blade contacts the wheel at an angle, is this right? So the wheel edge actually is angled rather than being flat like on mine. If that makes any sense... So with the magna there would be no need to "dress" the wheel, correct? I've done this one again and again and all its doing is wearing the wheel away faster.

Posted via Mobile Device

Hello Jason Rose,

In the post above I reviewed some general information about dressing and wheel conditions. Your angle problems with the RBG are not uncommon, the same occurs with Oregon, Fireball, Lesco, Neary, Foley, etc. The modified bench grinder style lawn mower blade sharpeners cannot provide a consistent angle unless the operator is taking some set-up time before each blade.

The way for you to set-up your RBG to keep providing a consistent angle is:
1. Keep one new blade (this is your template blade)
2. Place it under the wheel (you may need a 2nd pair of hands to help)
3. Loosen the 2 wing nuts that hold the adjustment tight
4. Turn the crank to lower the wheel to match the blade edge angle
5. Holding the crank in that position - tighten the 2 wing nuts.
6. Remove your template blade
7. Now you are ready to sharpen

With Magna-Matic sharpeners the steps are as follows:
1. Turn the crank to lower the grinding wheel to the work table
2. Now you are ready to sharpen

This can be a very tedious set-up and is primarily why people do not pay attention to the angle, or they will "eyeball it" and say its good enough.

Aside from this remember that with Magna-Matic sharpeners we are also able to achieve a sharpening time of 30 sec to 2 min and our sharpeners DO NOT burn the blade, and damage the temper.

Thank you,

grassman177
02-14-2011, 01:01 PM
i love our magna matic!!! great posts mr sponsor!

Green-Man
09-11-2012, 09:35 PM
i would if they would let me!!!!!

i know the same angle no matter what is one of the big selling points. the other guys are not as good as i was using the rbg to keep from getting the angle too steep on the blades from laziness when sharpening.

that is taken away now by this. it is a much smoother machine to operate, and the other big selling point is the ability to vacuum the grit away while sharpening instead of the big mess the other one can make despite the grit collector. the whole grinder is enclosed way more too which further helps keep down the mess.

i am sure he will chime in, but those are the basic reasons that i am aware of.

the RBG is a very good sharpener and ours had much life still left as far as we can tell. we had a neary before that, and it was not very good and did not last.

a good pic of the RBG is in my picture thread about our shop and equipment from a while back.
What do u mean by the same angle no matter what? Does that mean you don't adjust it? It's a fixed blade or what?
THANKS in advance
Posted via Mobile Device

Magna-Matic
09-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Hello All,

On all grinders the angle will change due to wheel diameter.

On Magna-Matic Sharpeners the cutting edge angle of the lawnmower blade will be 30 degrees over the life of the grinding wheel - when the operator continues to lower the grinding wheel (as it wears) down to the worktable (blade rest).

So simply keeping the wheel at point of intersection with the blade rest, will maintain 30 degrees, WITHOUT measurement, templates, or gauging required.

All other grinders require you to measure where the wheel is, or have a template blade that you "set-up" the grinder before you grind a blade to attempt to maintain an angle.

That is how the same angle can be maintained very easily and consistently with Magna-Matic Lawnmower Blade Sharpeners.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you,

grassman177
09-11-2012, 11:35 PM
better answer than i could have ever given, and we still love ours fully. well made tool for true professionals

Green-Man
09-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Hello All,

On all grinders the angle will change due to wheel diameter.

On Magna-Matic Sharpeners the cutting edge angle of the lawnmower blade will be 30 degrees over the life of the grinding wheel - when the operator continues to lower the grinding wheel (as it wears) down to the worktable (blade rest).

So simply keeping the wheel at point of intersection with the blade rest, will maintain 30 degrees, WITHOUT measurement, templates, or gauging required.

All other grinders require you to measure where the wheel is, or have a template blade that you "set-up" the grinder before you grind a blade to attempt to maintain an angle.

That is how the same angle can be maintained very easily and consistently with Magna-Matic Lawnmower Blade Sharpeners.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you,

OOOHHHH! That makes sense. Now i'm beginning to understand more. Seems like this system is setup a lot easier then other ones, I LIKE THAT :laugh: One more question kinda dumb I think but anyways is their some type of guide for when i'm running the blade on the stone?

Magna-Matic
09-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Hello All,

Yes there are visual guides in place for the "back and forth" path of the blade, but this is not absolutly critical.

Feel free to view the manuals here:
http://www.magna-matic.com/instruction-manuals.html

Thank you,

Green-Man
09-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Hello All,

Yes there are visual guides in place for the "back and forth" path of the blade, but this is not absolutly critical.

Feel free to view the manuals here:
http://www.magna-matic.com/instruction-manuals.html

Thank you,

Perfect! :cool2: