PDA

View Full Version : here is the magna matic all set up!!!!

grassman177
01-21-2011, 07:00 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=338568

sorry it is a link and was too lazy to resize just to repost.

what do you think magna matic??

nice huh!! i used it today and it was very smooth. completely different from the old Wall rbg on the floor next to it in the pics.

the vacuum seemed to really grab most of the debri too, but time will tell how much as once we start grinding daily it will become evident what the vac could not get.

DLAWNS
01-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Looks awesome man!

grassman177
01-22-2011, 12:18 AM
thanks buddy. it was fun to help put it together(the shelves, my dad put the magna together)

Magna-Matic
01-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Hello Grassman177

Looks fantastic - I left a longer post in the main thread where you posted.

Thank you,

grassman177
01-24-2011, 08:38 AM
i used this to sharpen 20 blades this morning alone. they were all new so it was really like sharpening 60 blades as you have to take off the initial butterknife edge to get a cutting edge. it take alot more grinding for that first sharpening.

the entire time it was very smooth, very easy on the hands compared to others. my hands would cramp and ache after sharpening before, but not at all after a long session. i can already tell blades are going to last longer , it is hard to explain, but i can see it discovering how this unit works.

not once did the wheel put a blue mark on the metal which is being indication of too hot and ruining the temper of the blade.. not one blue mark.

i am just thoroughly impressed.

after grinding that much metal, there is very little grit on the floor under the grinder. the vac attachment works awesome.

grassman177
02-05-2011, 04:03 PM
we had to get the larger platform for the blades as the other one we found was too short. we purchased if off your website. price was not too bad, but why dont you give the option of one or the other at time of purchase?

I am giving constructive criticism, but not sure where the smaller platform would come in handy for most mower blade applications. The longer version is much better as we got to use it today. made all the difference of a highly impressive fantastic machine to... absolutely the finest tool for the job available.

Magna-Matic
02-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Hello Grassman

Here is the reason for it - often blades that have strength bends - or a step-up or step-down from the mounting hole will not allow you to grind the full cutting edge - so we make the 8000-03 standard work table 5" long as the one that comes with the machine since it can handle pretty much all conventional blades.

The 8000-32 extended 9" long work table was later designed as an aid to the landscapers and lawn care pro's that purchased the MAG-8000.

Servicing dealers purchase the MAG-8000 more often than landscapers, and they generally like the 8000-03 work table better.

If you look at this link of the MAG-8000, down on the right hand side we do show the 8000-32 as an accessory.

http://www.magna-matic-direct.com/MAG-8000-Universal-Lawn-Mower-Blade-Sharpener-p/mag-8000.htm

It just comes down to the user, for who thinks what work table is "better."

Hope that kind of answers it, and thank you for the post.

grassman177
02-07-2011, 01:00 PM
it does, and we like that long platform so much better. this thing is a dream.

i did notice something odd though, after we changed the plate, (not sure it was like this when i installedit before it saw sharpening) but it does not line up with the wheel in the notch. it looks as if the wheel is out and needs to be tightened but it is tight as checked.

thoughts? would you like pics?

Magna-Matic
02-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Hello Grassman,

Pictures would make my answer more clear and right the first time.

Thank you,

grassman177
02-07-2011, 03:25 PM
i will get them tomorrow for you. thanks.

grassman177
02-08-2011, 11:50 PM
i got a pic and then when i looked at it, i figured out the part that hold on the wheel is sliding outwards and there was a set screw in it so i think it is a simple answer to my own question but thought i would post the picture anyhow, in case there is something i missed. i have not done anything yet to resolve the issue, but am confident this is the problem and no big deal.

this picture was of course before i took off the wheel to reveal the part mentioned above. you can see how the wheel is not centered and the small space behind it

Magna-Matic
02-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Hello Grassman,

Yes - the "arbor" (the part that the grinding wheel mounts on) has moved forward. The set-screw may have loosened and the arbor crept forward.

So you are correct - simply remove the grinding wheel, and loosen the set-screw - the arbor should be up againsed the bearing collar. Then tighten the set-screw (use loctite). Then you will be back ready to go.

Thank you for the picture - it just makes everything more clear.

grassman177
02-09-2011, 03:21 PM
yup, fixed it this morning. the set screw was loose. i will locktite it.
i also reversed the wheel as it was getting a bit more round on the operator side.
i did notice though that the arbor has a flat side to line up with the set screw. however, they are on opposite sides and i cant even begin to remove or turn it around 180degrees. any suggestions

Magna-Matic
02-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Hello Grassman,

You can use a pulley/bearing puller tool to remove the arbor from the shaft if it is hard. My guess is the set screw backed off enough, and it spun on the shaft a little - the set screw probably scratched the drive shaft and now this interference is making it hard for the arbor to come off.

You should get the the set screw to line up with the milled flat on the drive shaft.

Thank you,

punt66
02-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Wow, didnt last long.

Magna-Matic
02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Hello JP,

I'm unsure of what you mean. It does occur that loctite sometimes does not last. At the factory we apply a generous amount, but over many years we have seen a few cases where the loctite doesn't hold and a set screw will back off.

Thank you,

punt66
02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Was this not a new unit he set up?

Magna-Matic
02-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Hello,

I believe he purchased the unit in October 2010. I am not specifically aware of how many blades he has done since that time.

The unit has not failed, a set screw backed off, and if it caused any damage to the drive shaft Grassman is entitled to a new drive shaft because that is part of the warranty. My intent is not to be confrontational, but to say "something didn't last long," would imply that it failed and is no longer usable.

A loose set screw under warranty is far from failed and this is why warranties exist, to cover contingencies that can occur. The set screw could have become loose for a number of reasons: level of torque, condition of loctite, amount of loctite, shipping, improper use of the equipment, etc.

If you have a question of our level of quality or performance please read through the last TEN years of posts here at lawnsite.com within our forum and find unsatisfied customers.

Again, I want to be clear that I'm not trying to create a "flame" post - I was just trying to clarify a vague statement.

Thank you,

grassman177
02-10-2011, 11:57 AM
i agree. i cant even begin to move the arbor,i had to tap in back into place with a hammer(no i did not beat it). it is on there very good, and maybe after geting warm it will be easier to remove. i will let you know.

i thought about that scratching making the shaft "damaged" and find it cool you mentioned that .

as far as blades sharpened, well, a ton! we have had to do new blades which take more time, but nothing compared to used blades that had the incorrect angle from the other grinder. those took quite some time and alot of metal to get a proper edge. theya re balanced and sharp as can be though now!

i do have access to a pulley puller and will see about getting the arbor free from the shaft, if not able to, what would be the next step?

grassman177
02-10-2011, 12:00 PM
oh and number of blades is about 60. but the wear on the wheel is more if you think about it due to the amoutn of grinding we have had to do. we still have more to sharpen yet as we dont have the final amount of blade stock.

i would say we have worn off about 1 inch of the wheel or more.

Magna-Matic
02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Hello Grassman,

Having the milled flat of the drive shaft lined up with the set screw is better, but not an absolute - address it when you have time, it will not hinder the use of the machine. And as I mentioned above - we'll gladly send you a new drive shaft if yours is damaged from removing the arbor.

Thank you,

punt66
02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
send him a whole new machine.

grassman177
02-10-2011, 03:54 PM
ok punt66, i get it. but the machine operates as intended and very well indeed. thanks for your concerns. simply put, the set screw loosened and had to be retightened.

but, even though the set screw is off in placement, that thing is not going anywhere soon as it is really tight.

Magna matic, i will mess with the arbor and see what i can do and let you know. Thanks for the help.

Mickhippy
02-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Hey Grass, I wouldnt flip the wheel. Having that angle on the wheel makes it heaps easier to get right to the end of the cutting edge. May even let the wheel last longer as have more surface area.

grassman177
02-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Hey Grass, I wouldnt flip the wheel. Having that angle on the wheel makes it heaps easier to get right to the end of the cutting edge. May even let the wheel last longer as have more surface area.

interesting. i can see that. easy to reverse again. but does it matter that much?

what does magna matic have to say?

CQ_DX
03-30-2011, 12:54 PM
send him a whole new machine.

I had a set screw loosen, and simply tightened it. My thought is as a Pro Sharpener, I'm changing the wheels frequently and the wrenching probably loosened the set screw. I attrribute this to my use and nothing with the equipment.

As for number of blades? In the hundreds last year. All types. Used lots of different methods prior to Magna-Matic and NOTHING comes close to speed, accuracy, and consistency.

There is no need to send a new machine as you state. Tighten the screw and get on with it.

Your Avatar shows an H-D ... like that brand never has anything loosen, right? And you always bring it in and never yourself turn a wrench? So MoCo should replace your ride? LOL .............

grassman177
04-07-2011, 05:18 PM
still loving the magna matic. one of the guys sharpened the wrong way and got that angle back in there and it caused it to vibrate a bit while sharpening. i worked it back out flat agian after a couple blades. guys arent as understanding of proper technique like i am it seems!

anyways, the issue has not come up since about the wheel moving off the shaft. good to go.

another thing is the mess is so much less even with the small shop vac we have hooked up to it. very cool, and we certainly dont miss the mess that the rbg gave us. i truely is everywhere from using it for years

Magna-Matic
04-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Hello Grassman,

One thing to mention to your guys that are using the MAG-8000 is to keep downward pressure on the blade so they do not lift part of the blade off the worktable while grinding. This most often happens when people are OVER-PUSHING into the wheel. Because we run at a higher RPM you don't really need to push as hard as people may be used to when using a bench grinder style machine.

Thank you,

Mickhippy
04-07-2011, 05:43 PM
still loving the magna matic. one of the guys sharpened the wrong way and got that angle back in there and it caused it to vibrate a bit while sharpening. i worked it back out flat agian after a couple blades. guys arent as understanding of proper technique like i am it seems!

anyways, the issue has not come up since about the wheel moving off the shaft. good to go.

another thing is the mess is so much less even with the small shop vac we have hooked up to it. very cool, and we certainly dont miss the mess that the rbg gave us. i truely is everywhere from using it for years

Get yourself a dressing stone!