PDA

View Full Version : Calling Customers

exmark user
01-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Whens a good time call my current customers and book them for the upcoming season.

Also when is a good time to call customers about spring cleanups- aerations, seeding thattype of stuff!!

ef200098
01-22-2011, 12:18 AM
now! If you dont sell it to them, someone else will. Just because you cut grass, doesn't automatically make them go to you for all their other lawn and garden needs, you have to make that so. Most of my customers are already set up for the upcoming season. I go around usually in dec after fall clean ups and talk to them about upcoming season, keeping same rates blah blah.

Most people are not thinking about grass now, which is good for you. if you wait untill march or april you will be playing the price fighting game all over agian.

Mike
Cardinal Lawn

Hook and Ladder
01-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Now is an excellent time- there are some lull days this time of the year which are great for emails, phone calls, snail mail etc.

exmark user
01-22-2011, 01:11 AM
So you guys are sure I should call my clients and tell them about my mowing and spring cleanups when is a good time to start seeding and areating?

What Should I say ezactly to them?

BrunoT
01-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Saturday morning at 6:00am, they are bound to be home.

exmark user
01-22-2011, 01:31 AM
Saturday morning at 6:00am, they are bound to be home.

Serious ?:sleeping:

brianslawncare
01-22-2011, 08:22 AM
i call all of mine first thing in the spring right around the end of march or beginning of april. plus when we send out the last invoice on the bottom we say we will see you next season.if they dont want us to return next season they will send a note with their final payment.

Greyst1
01-23-2011, 05:48 AM
If you plow and are quoting snow & ice now is the time to sell on full service. For us in Ohio March is usually when i start marketing and sending out letters to my existing customer base.

I would try to stay at least a month ahead of 1st service date.

OSU 09
01-23-2011, 08:04 AM
I will send out scheduling letters to all current customers at the here in a few weeks. On those letters is a date in which we want the customer to be called in and scheduled by and a tentative date as to when our season will begin. Most people are good at calling in, especially if they have been our customers for multiple years. A few days after the call in date have passed we will follow up with a phone call for those who did not call in.

Patriot Services
01-23-2011, 09:14 AM
You should have sent out a well written letter in January. Followed by a courtesy call to confirm and let the customer know you are putting your schedule together and want to make sure you save a spot for them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baytownlawncare
01-23-2011, 09:17 AM
I have already seen a slight pickup in activity here in Southeast Texas. I am mentioning to customers that now is the time to get service agreements in place for next season. I have had no resistance with customers. I figure if I can get service agreements signed now, more than likely I will keep them another season. Already starting advertising also. I have seen a pick up in website traffic also. Gotta love google analytics!

exmark user
01-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys I'm pretty excited I have my first job tomrrow Fertilizing and putting lime down ! I'm very excited because I have cabin fever !! I was so excited when my phone showed my caller ID and It was a customer!!!!

Patriot Services
01-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Please explain what fert and why lime? Is this a customer request? Did you do a soil sample. What are your soil temps?
Posted via Mobile Device

01-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Lime can equalise soil PH and its cheap so you can make a decent profit off of it.

yardguy28
01-23-2011, 11:04 AM
i never call my clients to set up the seasons services.

at the end of the season they are all sent a letter saying we will see them next season and if anything changes let us know.

then a few weeks before i start services they are sent a letter that details the start of the season. usually saying we will be around for spring clean ups, mulch and shrub prunning and i give them the day of the week for there mowing schedule.

if clients don't contact me after the end of season letter or after the first of the season letter i assume i'm working for them and start services and invoice them.

there is never the questions of am i working for you this season. either they cancel or they don't. no phone call, letter or email stating they want to cancel means i'm still working for them.

exmark user
01-23-2011, 11:07 AM
The grass is a mixture of zyosia and fescue so I'm going to put 15 15 15 but lime first. No I'm not using a soil test thats why I'm doing 15 15 15 to make all gets equal and balances out. lime is good to nuetralize the PH and make sure you don't burn it up. It stilkl cold down here in TN but It doesnt matter when I apply it will stay in the ground so when grass starts growing it will help the grass.

I am applying 100 ponds of lime and 100 pounds of fertilizer for $70.00

knox gsl
01-23-2011, 11:14 AM
WOW, that's cheap! I usually charge $5 per sqare foot for fert. and $ 3.50 for lime, after a soil test($ 35).
Posted via Mobile Device

exmark user
01-23-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm not doing a soil test she doesn't want to spend the money thats why im doing 15 15 15. I' going to be there a most 25 mins . she lives the next steert upand materials are going to run me 25.00 and she about 90 years old I have know her all my life she raised her grandson and we were freinds for years so she is a good freind!

Patriot Services
01-23-2011, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=290;3866612]Lime can equalise soil PH and its cheap so you can make a decent profit off of it.[/QUOTE

Lime raises the PH of soil (more alkaline). Without doing at least a PH test (cheap kits at HD) you are just guessing. I know you are trying to do a good thing, but you are going about it the wrong way.:usflag:

ALC-GregH
01-23-2011, 11:58 AM
You really don't know what you are doing. Better hope you don't burn up the entire lawn. Poor lady is throwing money away having you do that. What you SHOULD do is study, do research and learn the proper way to maintain a lawn rather then "wing" it and HOPE you're doing it right.

Isn't the grass dormant right now? Why on earth are you applying ANYTHING when the grass is dormant? All you're going to do is waste her money and screw up her lawn.

exmark user
01-23-2011, 12:30 PM
I have done this the past 2 years and Its has made the lawn very nice triple 15 is what my ag teacher at my school told me to do and he has 4 year degree in landscaping and my dad knows alot about fertilizing because he does it to all his hay fields and he told me to do a soil test i told him she did not want me to so he said to go 15 15 15 so that way everything would kinda equal out .

freshcut419
01-23-2011, 01:03 PM
I have done this the past 2 years and Its has made the lawn very nice triple 15 is what my ag teacher at my school told me to do and he has 4 year degree in landscaping and my dad knows alot about fertilizing because he does it to all his hay fields and he told me to do a soil test i told him she did not want me to so he said to go 15 15 15 so that way everything would kinda equal out .

I hope it "kinda" works out

Patriot Services
01-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Quote from the movie Idiocracy "electrolytes are what plant's want!!":usflag:

exmark user
01-23-2011, 01:18 PM
trust me I have done this lawn 3 years now and every summer I looks beatiful

01-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I would still get a couple books on the subject and at least get an idea of what your doing. While your at it study up on local pests and how to deal with them and market that as well.

exmark user
01-23-2011, 02:47 PM
That is true thanks for the advice. my dad has farmed for 20 years and really knows alot about fert. and my teacher is a landscaping techer at my school.

Lefet
01-23-2011, 02:50 PM

I hope this "kinda" works out too. For your sake. Although I'm a bit confused why you insist on running pretty much the same conversation in multiple threads all the time?
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=338653
And if you've done this the past couple of years, don't you KNOW what you need?

I for one am going to cease and desist being your entertainment.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
01-23-2011, 06:59 PM
IF you have been doing this for two years shouldn't you know when to call the customers. i don't call them i send them a letter saying services are starting next week and i will be out on there scheduled date.

exmark user
01-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Sorry coastol I was talking to them about fertiizing. I n the past last year was my first year really running the buisness from the start of the season and I just called them like a day or 2 before I mowed and want to do it proffesinally thanks man

dKoester
01-23-2011, 07:44 PM
What if you do a soil test and say phosphorus or any other nutrient was already high in the soil. Does this mean your 15-15-15 will cause the soils nutrients after being applied to be in balance. NO!!!!!!!

ReddensLawnCare
01-26-2011, 11:25 AM
I agree with dKoester! You do not need to add anything to the soil...yeah it may make it look a little greener, but thats it. You say trust you, but do you know that by adding to many ammendments, especially burst of nitrogen at the wrong time can cause fungal growth. The best thing to use this time of year...if any..is a winterizer and even with that you need to know soil temp and precipitation forecast. Your dad may know a few things about farming and fert...but this lady's yard is not a farm. And are you sure she has zoysia and fescue...those dont normally go well together as the zoysia will choke it out and they look awful together...atleast they do in Charlotte. Your 16 man...im not bustin your balls on that fact..i started when I was 16 as well...but I have also spent A LOT of time reading and surfing the web on different processes for a top quality lawn. If your good at mowing then just refer your customers to tru-green for the time being. Legally, at 16, you cannot apply anything that has a herbicide or pesticide in it, so all you are doing for this lady is feeding her weeds and grass. If you do apply herbs...then i hope you dont get caught b/c that is a STIFF fee. Good luck and do your research. This is a great sight, but you need to look for answers before you post something that another member has already asked about.

ReddensLawnCare
01-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Oh..and when i said dont add anything to the soil...I meant dont add anything before you do a soil test...

Patriot Services
01-26-2011, 11:27 AM
But his dad (the hay farmer) and his Ag teacher at Ag class said........
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
01-26-2011, 12:13 PM
:dizzy::clapping:It is quite possible they could be the same:laugh:

Hook and Ladder
01-26-2011, 12:39 PM
You should have sent out a well written letter in January. Followed by a courtesy call to confirm and let the customer know you are putting your schedule together and want to make sure you save a spot for them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very professional approach.

Of course Saturday 0600 is always an option too! :laugh:

bonerigo.1
01-26-2011, 12:55 PM
now! if you are talking to your customers your competition cant

LawnsRUsInc.
01-26-2011, 12:55 PM
We send our new lawn contracts with the last invoice for the season. We recieve about 1/3 back right away. The rest of the people need a call to do a verbal over the phone or go on our website to resign up. We print out 2 contracts one to send and one to keep in a folder to call them to resign up or upsell them for more. If your just cutting lawns your missing out!!! UPSELL What we do is call 3 times and the 4th time if we havent got an answer we leave a message. We call only once a week for three weeks not everyday like """cough the dalmation trucks do" But the best time i have found to start is last week of January just been long enough since the holidays, and gives us ample time to get ahold of them.

Another thing we do with our contracts we give them a list of every service we can perform for them with a price year after year. Then if they dont signup for something on that list we will call them before we are scheduling the others. ex. call 2 weeks before we are going to be performing shrub trimming and see if they would like it. They might of felt they didnt need it in Jan. but come June they see its out of control.

Also we send monthly newsletters with the invoices with what we are doing and what other services we are offering for the month to come. HUGE inexpensive upseller.

BrunoT
02-01-2011, 02:34 AM
Please explain what fert and why lime? Is this a customer request? Did you do a soil sample. What are your soil temps?
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't confuse them. They're so excited. LOL

BrunoT
02-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Quote from the movie Idiocracy "electrolytes are what plant's want!!":usflag:

We are living that movie in this day and age. Now I'm off to go watch "Ow, my balls!" on tv.

BrunoT
02-01-2011, 02:38 AM
You really don't know what you are doing. Better hope you don't burn up the entire lawn. Poor lady is throwing money away having you do that. What you SHOULD do is study, do research and learn the proper way to maintain a lawn rather then "wing" it and HOPE you're doing it right.

Isn't the grass dormant right now? Why on earth are you applying ANYTHING when the grass is dormant? All you're going to do is waste her money and screw up her lawn.

Weeds need love too, man. : )