PDA

View Full Version : MPG 3500 Dump Gas vs Diesel

Barefoot James
01-22-2011, 04:34 PM
What kind of gas/diesel miles per gallon should one expect in a 3500 Silverado Dump Truck.

Gas? I have heard 8 MPG Loaded around town, 11+ Highway unloaded
Diesel? I have heard 13 MPG Loaded around town, 20+ Highway unloaded

As many specifics as you have would be helpful.

SimonCX
01-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Our gas 6.0 vortec dump gets around 8-9mpg but its pulling or loaded 90% of the time, the diesel is about 13-14mpg doing the same, never really found out highway unloaded because I've never had a full tank like that.

Gravel Rat
01-22-2011, 07:42 PM
A 1 ton mason dump diesel getting over 14 mpg empty not a chance you would be lucky to get 14 mpg. Trucks usually have 4:10 gears and a empty tare weight of 8000lbs.

If GM offered a big block I would go with gas a small block chevy like a 6.0 will be a gutless pig in a 1 ton mason dump.

POPO4995
01-22-2011, 07:50 PM
A 1 ton mason dump diesel getting over 14 mpg empty not a chance you would be lucky to get 14 mpg. Trucks usually have 4:10 gears and a empty tare weight of 8000lbs.

If GM offered a big block I would go with gas a small block chevy like a 6.0 will be a gutless pig in a 1 ton mason dump.

If your looking for a basic run around dump truck and not really pulling heaping heavy loads then a newer 6.0 GM would do you. My Dodge dump does fine, just not gonna win any races. What I've come to realize with diesel motors this day in age is you buy them for better re-sale value or keeping them until they go to the junkyard. The mileage and fuel costs these days just doesnt matter. It takes alot of fuel to make up for the up-front $7K for the diesel option

Barefoot James
01-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Great responses so far keep it up. No bickering so far amazing.
Loaded and unloaded gas vs diesel 3500 Silverado - Keep them coming.

hosejockey2002
01-22-2011, 11:01 PM

A pig maybe (on gas), but not exactly gutless. My 2005 2500HD is not a mason dump, but loaded to it's GVWR and a 5500 lb. trailer behind it moves right on down the road and will pull a 6% grade at freeway speed. It needs to rev up to make good power, but it easily pulls as strong as a mid-90's Ford 460 I once owned.

Gravel Rat
01-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Another way of looking at it how much use is this truck going to see, you are paying a significant amount of money to have a diesel. The maintenance on a diesel is more expensive, if the truck isn't driven every day it really isn't that great.

SimonCX
01-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Sure our gas dump is worse on mpg then then our diesel trucks but it gets the job done without a problem, maybe alittle slower to get up to speed but never has it brothered me enough to want to sell it. It's always hooked up to a 20ft enclosed trailer and pulls it without a problem. I never really considered the dump a race car so I don't care if its slower and it mostly stays on back roads were you really don't notice fast or slow when your goning 30-35mph..

Barefoot James
01-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Long story short the 3500 6.6L diesel 2005 Dura Max I got with 70K miles has a pin hole in the header and both headers are being replaced - $4500. The dealership said they did a multiple check inspection and claimed there was no way to determine or see this. Well I asked them if the heater and ac worked and everything was in working order. They said yes. Drove it off the lot and the heater did not seem to heat up very quickly and it finally heated up but when it idled it cooled off. I took it straight back and the dealer after 2 weeks determined what it was and tried to split the cost with me. I told them it was not right when I bought it and since they do value their dealership (reputation) they are paying for the whole thing. What are your thoughts on this should they have caught this in the first place? Is there not testing that would have caught this? i personally think they have bad service/mechanics. What say you?

360ci
01-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Don't forget that GM, Ford, and Dodge detune their gas V8's if GVWR is over 10K! You'll lose a solid 50hp although torque stays similar to help long term durability. For one ton and higher weight ratings I'd go diesel unless upfront cost was a major concern.

Barefoot James
01-30-2011, 02:14 PM
They are fixing it on their nickle so i'm keeping it but it has been over three weeks now to fix a couple gaskets around the headers??;);)
This who fixing a diesel engine is crazy - 3 weeks whats up with that:confused: Good thing my season has not started yet.