PDA

View Full Version : Square Feet

exmark user
01-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Can someone post of a picture of a lawn and tell me the square feet of it so I can get an of square feet size.:dizzy:

Patriot Services
01-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Can someone post of a picture of a lawn and tell me the square feet of it so I can get an of square feet size.:dizzy:

Until you get good at estimating by eyeball buy a good measuring wheel and tape measure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ronniecoleman
01-22-2011, 08:49 PM
zillow.com is your friend.:)

Mountain Peak
01-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Get a measuring wheel, measure your own yard. You know how long it takes to mow your yard and you should be able to figure from that.
It really takes practice. When I started I was all worried about bidding yards and square footage. Now I'm pretty good at eyeballing yards and know what my competitors will probably charge for each yard as well.

exmark user
01-22-2011, 10:16 PM
I always charge by minute and Im applying fertilizer and people they charge say 50 for xxxx square feet and im just trying to see what sq feet looks like.

Daniel's Lawn Care
01-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Don't try to eyeball it. You can get yourself in trouble that way, at least I did. Go to Lowes and spend $50 or $60 on a large measuring wheel, you will never regret the investment. Run the wheel across the front and down one side of the lawn, multiply the two numbers, and round to the nearest 1,000 square feet. You want to get a large wheel because it makes it easier going over rough terrain and roots.

ALC-GregH
01-22-2011, 10:53 PM
I always charge by minute and Im applying fertilizer and people they charge say 50 for xxxx square feet and im just trying to see what sq feet looks like.

Like was said, get a measure wheel and tape measure and check your own lawn.

Freedom Lawn Service
01-22-2011, 11:17 PM
goIlawn.com - worth every penny! Use promo EXPO! I think you get 4 free with it.

exmark user
01-22-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm doing this myself just applying some fertilizer on some zyosia and fescue mix , going to put some 15 15 15 on it and lime it to neutralize it Monday.

I'll take some pics LOL!

Jason Rose
01-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Seriously? You want people on here to tell you the square footage of your lawn by looking at a picture?

Forget all the high tech satellite devices, just do what 80% of the other people said and buy a measuring wheel. It's not rocket science, just simple geometry. Length times width. Measure each lawn space seperately and break up odd shaped areas into squares and rectangles. Takes maybe 10 minutes max to measure out a normal lawn. You can be pretty exact this way, leaving out sidewalks, driveways, pool areas, etc.

exmark user
01-23-2011, 03:19 AM
just want a pic of a lawn and its sq. ft. and go from there. I dont really need it I mow by the minute just wondering what exactly the sizes are.

Robert Pruitt
01-23-2011, 03:32 AM
just want a pic of a lawn and its sq. ft. and go from there. I dont really need it I mow by the minute just wondering what exactly the sizes are.

how much do you get for for minute?

Greyst1
01-23-2011, 03:45 AM
how much do you get for for minute?

Here we go..... How much do you get by the min Robert?

Robert Pruitt
01-23-2011, 03:56 AM
Here we go..... How much do you get by the min Robert?

for mowing or mow and trim? I base what i charge on how much trim work has to be done. so here we go.

appletreelawncare
01-23-2011, 05:02 AM

A square Foot is 12"x 12"

Richard Martin
01-23-2011, 05:28 AM
I want to know why you're putting down fert and lime in the middle of January...

Lefet
01-23-2011, 07:37 AM

I generally refrain from commenting on your posts, but I will oblige you this time. Stop trying to get people to give you shortcuts to do your work. It is best to get out there and do it yourself. As apple said, a square foot is 12x12.
Get yourself a wheel, ruler, yardstick or tape measure AND GO MEASURE IT. This will benefit you in many ways. One day that computer is going to break down, or that picture "just won't come up". Please learn the proper, MANUAL way to do something, and THEN look for shortcuts. That is my advice and at this point I'm going to refrain from hurling insults.

A square Foot is 12"x 12"

I want to know why you're putting down fert and lime in the middle of January...
I'm not even going to BEGIN to touch this, nor do I want to know the answer. :walking:

Patriot Services
01-23-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm doing this myself just applying some fertilizer on some zyosia and fescue mix , going to put some 15 15 15 on it and lime it to neutralize it Monday.

I'll take some pics LOL!

Please explain this logic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
01-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Please explain this logic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you REALLY want an explanation????? :wall

Agape
01-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Get a Measuring wheel!!
Get a Measuring wheel!!
Get a Measuring wheel!!

AAAUUUGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

exmark user
01-23-2011, 02:45 PM
The fertilizer will stay in the ground till grass starts to grow, and this is the time in tn we fertilize like our hayfields!!

Greyst1
01-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Mods, why did you delete my posts???

dKoester
01-23-2011, 03:50 PM

Exactly, This will cause of damage to the environment. Careless application. According to my Core Manual you aren't supposed to do this. The ground is frozen. Your Fertilizer will become mobile.

C & T Landscaping
01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Again, your 16, you LEGALLY CAN'T spread fert.

Oh and buy a measuring wheel.

TNGrassCutter
01-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Again, your 16, you LEGALLY CAN'T spread fert.

Oh and buy a measuring wheel.

We all know he doesn't care about legalities....

cdqat1432
01-23-2011, 07:41 PM
If you are just doing your own lawn, save your money and pace it off. I go heel-toe because my boots are just 12 inches and I just count the steps.

Richard Martin
01-23-2011, 07:57 PM
The fertilizer will stay in the ground till grass starts to grow, and this is the time in tn we fertilize like our hayfields!!

I guess...

We have machines that look like this running up and down the roads in the springtime. I don't think they're doing too much right now.

http://www.croplife.com/articles/image/specs/spreaders/2007/bbi_triadb.gif

Robert Pruitt
01-23-2011, 08:10 PM
So are we growing zoyia,fescue or hay?

Patriot Services
01-23-2011, 08:20 PM

What's the difference the Ag teacher says 15-15-15 is good for everything. Does anybody make 99-99-99? I want to fertilize once for the next 4 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
01-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Apparently he's not aware that lawn fertilizers do degrade if they're not taken up by grass. This can lead to an increase in pH, salts and nitrates. There's nothing like leaving your fert laying around so it can get into waterways, ponds and rivers too.

exmark user
01-24-2011, 12:10 AM
I'm applying tomorow the ground id really wet and saturated , the high is 45 so it will be wet. You do not have to have a license here to spread fertilizer i asked my dealer just herbicide and peaticide those types of chemicals. the lawn is fesue and zyosia mixed and the hay is what my dad grows for our herd of cattle

Mountain Peak
01-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Wow...........

Jason Rose
01-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Why do you come here and ask questions you already know all the answers to? (even though you are horribly wrong, you still think you are right)

This isn't bobby gedd in disguise is it? Or just a troll trying to get people riled up because they are bored?

Applying fertilizer when the grass is DORMANT does no good for anything. Even if the ground isn't frozen the fertilizer you apply tomorrow is going to leach past the root zone before the grass comes out of dormancy to actually take up the nutrients.

dKoester
01-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Nonpoint source polution is what it is.

Robert Pruitt
01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
so the air temp. is 45, what is the ground temp.?

Richard Martin
01-25-2011, 03:32 AM
so the air temp. is 45, what is the ground temp.?

Probably about 35° at 2". About the same as it is in Winston-Salem.

The closest SCAN site to both of you on about the same latitude is in Reynolds-Homestead VA. SCAN sites record tons of enviromental data like soil temps at various depths, UV information, soil moisture data etc.

Here the R-H SCAN site -->> http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=2089&state=va

ReddensLawnCare
01-25-2011, 11:48 PM
OK..so im going to chime in now the fert discussion...i have put down a winterizer in december or january every year for the past five here in charlotte. I know some people think that is a bad idea, and i understand your points, but I can tell a huge difference in the lawns that I apply it to. A note..I fertilize when it has been semi-warm and rain is expected in the next day or so. This eliminates the sitting on the ground issue. My yards that i treat at this time of year always get 3-4 cuts before my lawns that I dont winterize get their first. Now back to the OP...really man..get of your butt and do some work. If your to lazy to go measure your own yard...you probably shouldnt be doing lawn care. Oh but on a positive note...the thing bout fert is true...if it is plain fert, no herb in it...your good to go in TN.

Pressedun
01-25-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm applying tomorow the ground id really wet and saturated , the high is 45 so it will be wet. You do not have to have a license here to spread fertilizer i asked my dealer just herbicide and peaticide those types of chemicals. the lawn is fesue and zyosia mixed and the hay is what my dad grows for our herd of cattle

Man I'd like to know what sorts of customers you have and why they end up choosing you. It amazes me how unintelligent people sound sometimes. But then again...

Robert Pruitt
01-26-2011, 09:12 PM
OK..so im going to chime in now the fert discussion...i have put down a winterizer in december or january every year for the past five here in charlotte. I know some people think that is a bad idea, and i understand your points, but I can tell a huge difference in the lawns that I apply it to. A note..I fertilize when it has been semi-warm and rain is expected in the next day or so. This eliminates the sitting on the ground issue. My yards that i treat at this time of year always get 3-4 cuts before my lawns that I dont winterize get their first. Now back to the OP...really man..get of your butt and do some work. If your to lazy to go measure your own yard...you probably shouldnt be doing lawn care. Oh but on a positive note...the thing bout fert is true...if it is plain fert, no herb in it...your good to go in TN.

Well said! I do my plug,seed & frt. starting in late Aug.and all of Sept..the advantage that i have on you is ALL of my lawns are irrigated. so i have control of the water. they are ready to be cut about three weeks before every one else. one other thing i have noticed about the young one, a lot of his post are post that someone else have already posted.just hope that the 15-15-15 does not end up in the creeks that the cattle are drinking from, or end up in the old gals well.

ReddensLawnCare
01-27-2011, 01:27 AM
I hope your right about the 15-15-15 runoff as well...applying to much at the wrong time is just like opening up a bag on a bridge and dumping it over...thats why we have rules and regulations...and why your not supposed to do to much of that at 16. I give the kid props tho b/c he clearly wants to learn...he just needs to slow down and search some things out and do some research...like one guy said...discover google...and abuse it!