PDA

View Full Version : Canyon/Colorado.

KPW LawnCare
01-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Well I have a 2006 GMC Canyon regular cab 2wd I5 and have been using it for 2 years mowing. As of now it dose everything I have asked it to do and more. Well I have been thinking about getting another truck but am just having no luck what so ever at finding anything. Was looking for a Chevy/GMC 2500 4x4 rclb auto with under 150k miles and little body damage. Well thats like hitting the lotto. It aint gonna ******* happen! So I was thinking about getting another colorado/canyon but this time getting a 4x4 regular cab or ext cab and using that for manily mowing and maybe a little bit of plowing. Just looking to see if anyone else is doing this and if you lets hear some feed back.

And please if your gonna come in here and bash me for using these trucks GTFO!

Puddle of Oil
01-22-2011, 08:10 PM
It took me 2 years to find the truck I wanted. If you look long and hard something will come up.

If your gonna get another truck get at least a half ton, especially if your looking to grow.

Layin Stripes
01-22-2011, 10:04 PM
I have an 05 4 door 4wd its a pretty nice truck but isn't exactly what i would call a work horse. It has an exhaust, superchip, and oversized tires. I haven't had any problems with mine but i recently sold my Cummins and I'm really missing it when it comes to pulling a trailer. All i can really tell ya is they are great personal trucks but not much when it comes to working out of.

mowerbrad
01-22-2011, 10:51 PM
I was shopping for a truck, it took me roughly a year to decide on what I wanted and find the one that I liked.

Don't settle for another Canyon if you really want a full size truck. The truck market is pretty high right now, but if you look around enough you will be able to find the truck you want.

KPW LawnCare
01-23-2011, 07:28 PM
True but i am not looking to be pulling a 20' trailer with 3 mowers on it

Knight511
01-23-2011, 09:57 PM
It really does depend on what YOU want. Currently, I can't even justify a truck at all for my work (pulling dual 21s with the extras doesn't weigh all that much). I don't plow (I don't think you can even buy one around here), but my only "fear" on the little truck would be the transmission/diff holding up to the added stress from plowing.

If you want a small truck, by all means, get one... so long as it serves you how you need it and you aren't overstretching your financial means, you are doing okay. To get a truck like I want new, I would be looking at $35-40K for a "half ton" model... I am going to work on saving money to pay cash for an older truck (68-72 Chevy) to use in the light duty towing I need and to have as a project (my dream truck if you will)... kill off two birds with one stone!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Would be hard to plow with a Colorado type and an I5 in it.
I have a light V8 Dakota 4x4 and I wouldn't even think of putting a plow on that.
Does great hauling mowing equip. though, no issues there.

Dreamer88
01-29-2011, 09:34 PM
I have had a Colorado. I dove it for my full time job and put 108,000 miles on it before selling it. It would pull anything I hooked to it. I now have a 2500HD crew cab that I will be putting a plow on. Sometimes I wish I would have gone back to a Colorado because of its size.

360ci
01-30-2011, 01:06 PM
If you want to stay 'compact', get a Jeep Wrangler. Or, wait a year when they upgrade from the 202hp 3.8L V6 to the 290hp 3.6L V6. Solid front axles and in Rubicon trim you get the upgraded axles. The only problem is payload is low, so putting on a plow would have to be under 500lbs with mount depending on your weight to stay within the GAWR.

My Durango R/T 5.9L still holds it's own after 11 years of abuse. From trails, towing, hauling, idling for a bush weekend, you name it. I wouldn't put a plow on it though, only because the front differential is the weak point when I throw on a 600+ pound plow. To offset the weight due to the shorter (117") wheelbase a hitch mounted salter would do the trick (250lbs filled). If I wanted to plow, I'd get at least a 3/4 ton to stay legal in terms of weight ratings.

Just to let you know, the DOT and MTO here in Ontario are similar in the sense that if you run into someone with your truck and a plow on it even if it's not directly your fault, you can later be charged if it's found that you weren't within the proper weight ratings of the vehicle. Have fun with your insurance after that.

KPW LawnCare
01-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Not going big anytime. I am looking at just getting a 4x4 v8 or inline5 on one. I dont want anything bigger then that. lol

360ci
01-30-2011, 07:49 PM
The new F150 has a decent 300hp 3.7L V6 at a reasonable price with 4x4! Can't go wrong with that.

KPW LawnCare
01-30-2011, 09:28 PM
The new F150 has a decent 300hp 3.7L V6 at a reasonable price with 4x4! Can't go wrong with that.

Gm house hold man. And plus my neighbor get like a 10k discount on new GM cars and trucks :P.

360ci
01-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Ah. I've owned all of the Big Three over the years. I don't really have a preference as I buy a truck for what it can do for the price. At least you know better than to get a one ton dually to pull a few mowers, unlike some folks on here!

I'll get this season out of my Durango yet and knowingly trade it in before it starts costing me bucks to keep it on the road.

KPW LawnCare
01-30-2011, 09:42 PM
I get **** for havign my canyon. But its gets the job done and thats what i need. I dont need a 2500 to pull around a aluma trailer and 1 zero turn with a total weight of 1500lbs.

360ci
01-30-2011, 09:53 PM
I get **** for havign my canyon. But its gets the job done and thats what i need. I dont need a 2500 to pull around a aluma trailer and 1 zero turn with a total weight of 1500lbs.

Your right, you better get a 5500 for the tongue weight :cool2:

Still, if you want to plow, I'd get a 2500. I see a few 1500's around with a smaller angle plow installed, but I'm sure they go over the front axle weight rating...

KPW LawnCare
01-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Ehhhh idk about plowing yet. well see lol

Hawg City Lawns
01-30-2011, 10:10 PM
brand loyalty is becoming something of the past

i owned a chevy, now have a dodge, would really like to have that new ecoboost v6 ford, the pro 4 x nissan is a beast i really like the tool boxes on the side of the bed, and the tundras are just awesome looking

so yup not so brand loyal here

360ci
01-30-2011, 10:12 PM
I've generally bought Dodge because I've been able to swindle a better deal up front. Ha.

Even with these GM Visa points, I can still get a similar spec'd Dodge for $3K less cash even including current cash purchase incentives. By the fall truck prices should be slightly less!

KPW LawnCare
01-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Yea but in this family its all GM no matter what and why get something else when i can get a 10k discount?

360ci
01-30-2011, 10:23 PM
With me owning a Dodge currently, I can get a higher trade in than I would at a similar GM dealer. At least that was on the quote I was given last month just to see what I'd be in for this fall.

I prefer the GM 6.0L V8 over the Dodge HEMI. The HEMI is higher on maintenance but if I can get that included in a lower asking price, then I'll say SOLD. By paying cash I get $6K off the dealer list price right off the bat, plus other incentives.

I don't have anything against Ford products, but I don't plan on running a 3/4 ton truck at near maximum payload levels so I'll stick with either the GM or Dodge at this point in time as the Ford weighs up to 450lbs more in similar spec trim with the gas engine. Higher weight = slower performance and lower fuel economy. Ford might best the others in HP and torque, but it's in fact slower due to the increased base weight. Tsk tsk tsk.

lyndont
01-31-2011, 12:16 AM
I was patient and actually got an 04 silverado long bed 4.8 v8 single cab truck with 100,000 miles on it for 2750 because I was at a dealership when he was and was going to trade it in on something and I asked him what they said they would give him for it and he said they only wanted to give him 2500. It had a dent in the bed, and a cracked windsheild, and needed new front tires but I jumped on and said I will give you 2750 right now and he did it. The dealer wasn't real happy but it all worked out. The guy was retired from the army and just wanted a newer truck. If your patient you will come across something. I had a 2000 single cab silverado with a 5.3 that had 240,000 on it so they will go forever if you treat them right. I am a huge fan of seafoam though I use that every other oil change and I swear by that stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

lyndont
01-31-2011, 12:17 AM
My 2000 was still pulling strong when I sold it but I basically went from the 2000 to the 04 for nothing
Posted via Mobile Device

360ci
01-31-2011, 07:29 AM
I am a huge fan of seafoam though I use that every other oil change and I swear by that stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

seaFOAM! :drinkup:

Deori
01-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Way to dealer poach, haha! Good strategy, wish I could get something like that on.

I was patient and actually got an 04 silverado long bed 4.8 v8 single cab truck with 100,000 miles on it for 2750 because I was at a dealership when he was and was going to trade it in on something and I asked him what they said they would give him for it and he said they only wanted to give him 2500. It had a dent in the bed, and a cracked windsheild, and needed new front tires but I jumped on and said I will give you 2750 right now and he did it. The dealer wasn't real happy but it all worked out.Posted via Mobile Device

KPW LawnCare
01-31-2011, 03:46 PM
Who knows what I am gonna do lol. See how much I can get one for and go form there