PDA

View Full Version : New Gravely - Question about suspicious oil

sgrol
01-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Just got a new HD 48" Gravely zero turn. It has a 24 HP Kawasaki engine. When I got it home I checked the oil and it was milky in color, not the typical clear brown. To me this suggests water in the oil. Or - is this some kind of special break in oil? Doesn't even have 1 hour on it yet. Any thoughts?

djagusch
01-22-2011, 10:11 PM
If it is liquid cooled I would be worried a little. If air cooled condensation or fuel in the oil could cause it. I would drain the oil and put fresh stuff in.
Posted via Mobile Device

sgrol
01-22-2011, 10:35 PM
If it is liquid cooled I would be worried a little. If air cooled condensation or fuel in the oil could cause it. I would drain the oil and put fresh stuff in.
Posted via Mobile Device

I sent a message to Gravely so I will wait and see what they say. If I am not satisfied with their reply I will sample the oil and get it analyzed. If it ends up contaminated I will try to take it back to the dealer. It's not right spending $5K on a new mower to have this kind of problem (if it is a problem).

01-23-2011, 01:19 AM
I would carry it back to the dealer and show it to him now and ask for another mower.

Richard Martin
01-23-2011, 05:33 AM
It's just condensation. Although the mower supposedly only has 1 hour on it, it has probably been started 100 times to move it around. Since the engine never got warm enough to burn off any condensation from each cool off period it accumulates moisture and makes the oil a little ugly. The dealer shouldn't have a problem changing the oil for you for free.

I said supposed hours because hour meters are super easy to disconnect.

scagman52
01-23-2011, 08:51 AM
To me it's a no brainer..Do yourself a favor and bring it back to the dealer you bought it from.

BINKY1902
01-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Richard is exactly right. That's just condensation, the dealer's normally change the oil before delivery. It's pretty common to see that when they are moving the mowers out every morning so they can be seen. They should change it for you of course, but I wouldn't sweat it that much. Over time, condensation can get into any engine. This is why they say to change your oil every 3,000 miles OR every 3 months. Oil can get contaminated when an engine hasn't even been run.

ALC-GregH
01-23-2011, 12:08 PM
I can tell you straight up. If there is any water mixed in the oil whether it's from condensation or not. The metal parts including the bearings and crankshaft will have rust spots on them. NOT GOOD for a brand new mower. This will lead to premature engine failure. I'd want a different mower and if they couldn't provide that, I'd return it and get my money back.

grassman177
01-23-2011, 02:04 PM
ia gree, take it back

sgrol
01-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Dealer offered to come pick it up and change the oil & filter. I told him I wanted it changed out with another one. After talking to the powers that be he agreed to swap me out with a new one. Big relief for me. Thanks to all for the opinions.

ALC-GregH
01-24-2011, 08:17 PM
That's good to hear. Did you write the serial# down so they don't pull a fast one?

I've seen first hand what water in oil can do to a crankshaft in just a couple weeks of sitting. When the water touches the crankshaft and doesn't move, it will pit the crank and premature wear will take place.

ALC-GregH
01-24-2011, 08:18 PM
One thing I made sure of when I bought my Scag was that it wasn't sitting around. I didn't have to worry since they had to order it. Came in a crate and was shinny new. :)

sgrol
01-24-2011, 09:23 PM
That's good to hear. Did you write the serial# down so they don't pull a fast one?

Good advice but they offered to bring the new one to me and swap out at my house.

lifetree
01-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Dealer offered to come pick it up and change the oil & filter. I told him I wanted it changed out with another one. After talking to the powers that be he agreed to swap me out with a new one. Big relief for me. Thanks to all for the opinions.

Congratulations !!

sgrol
01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Congratulations !!

Thanks. I contacted a well known mechanic about this and he advised to get rid of it also. He lives near the mower dealer and has been looking for a zero turn on the net. After the dealer agreed to treat me right, i told the mechanic and he said he would go to their shop to get his mower. Funny how things work. Mechanic also has a radio show on Saturdays and said he would give them some free PR if they wanted.

BINKY1902
01-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Great job by the dealer. I was set to buy a new mower at one time a couple of years ago, and decided not to because when looking at the oil there was a considerable amount of condensate in there, it was also a leftover model from the year before so it had been cranked over on that bad oil for a year. I ended up getting my new one out of the crate, and they set it up while I waited. It cost more than the leftover model but I didn't want to have that on my mind. When you buy a new machine you want it to be right, and it should be. That's a lot of money for these mowers. Glad your dealer showed he wants your business in the future.

bc3xx0
01-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Sounds like a stand up dealer. I guess they are gonna destroy the unit instead of changing the oil and passing it on to the next guy?

txgrassguy
01-25-2011, 09:54 AM
I've said this time and time again - commercial machines are essentially the same but it is the dealer that makes a difference. Sounds like a stand up guy.

Regarding the contaminated oil, one of the posters was spot on concerning damage to the bearings/seals. I have seen this several times on mowers kept out of doors subject to rain and humidity changes. I even lost a Kawi motor that had only 287 hours on it due to a similar problem. Mowing an athletic complex and a real hard rain started. Drove about 1/4 mile to cover then sat for about three hours. Machine fired right back up but as I was again 1/4 away from my enclosed trailer the motor started knocking badly. Came to find out the motor sucked in enough water through the stock flat air cleaner to raise the oil level in the crankcase which in turn blew off the dipstick followed by the motor vomiting almost all of the oil.
Dealer told me this was a problem on certain motor/air cleaner set-up's, Kawi was aware of it and changed the motor out under warranty then up-graded to a Donaldson type air clear. Now all of my machines have this type of air filtration system and nine years later no problems in the rain.

sgrol
01-25-2011, 10:23 AM
...Dealer told me this was a problem on certain motor/air cleaner set-up's, Kawi was aware of it and changed the motor out under warranty then up-graded to a Donaldson type air clear. Now all of my machines have this type of air filtration system and nine years later no problems in the rain.

Can you hijack your own thread? txgrassguy - I have one of the small air cleaners tucked up under the engine cover. Where can I find a Donaldson canister filter unit? Definitely want to upgrade to that. Not so much for water issue just a better filtration system.

djagusch
01-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Can you hijack your own thread? txgrassguy - I have one of the small air cleaners tucked up under the engine cover. Where can I find a Donaldson canister filter unit? Definitely want to upgrade to that. Not so much for water issue just a better filtration system.
Go see your dealer he should be able to figure it out. You can go to kawi's site and look up your engine model then find a varence that has the upgraded filter system.

I was somewhat surprised by the outcome by the dealer and some members reaction. What do guys do to prevent this during the off season? I think the thread overreacted to condition of the motor. While some surface rust could of occurred the bearings/cly walls ad a good coat of oil on it. Every notice the mower blades after sitting 2 days after a rain not being used? They have flash rust on them already (these are not cheap blades either). What happens inside the engine in those 2 days or over a offseason?

I know that with my motorcycle race engines I put oil down the plug hole and crack the motor over to prevent the cyl walls from flash rust. Do you guys do this on ever engine for the off season? How about inside the cases how do you prevent that? Another thing I know is a connecting rod left out in a garage in a mn winter has so little surface rust on it to not matter either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
01-25-2011, 11:19 AM

What? Someone hijacked a thread. Now who would do such a thing? :cry:

sgrol
01-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Go see your dealer he should be able to figure it out. You can go to kawi's site and look up your engine model then find a varence that has the upgraded filter system.

I was somewhat surprised by the outcome by the dealer and some members reaction. What do guys do to prevent this during the off season? I think the thread overreacted to condition of the motor. While some surface rust could of occurred the bearings/cly walls ad a good coat of oil on it. Every notice the mower blades after sitting 2 days after a rain not being used? They have flash rust on them already (these are not cheap blades either). What happens inside the engine in those 2 days or over a offseason?

I know that with my motorcycle race engines I put oil down the plug hole and crack the motor over to prevent the cyl walls from flash rust. Do you guys do this on ever engine for the off season? How about inside the cases how do you prevent that? Another thing I know is a connecting rod left out in a garage in a mn winter has so little surface rust on it to not matter either.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm 54, been working on engines, small and large, most of my life. Mostly a shade tree mechanic but, if I do say so myself, a good one. I do all of my own maintenance on my car, truck, tractor and various small engines. All of my lawnmowers are kept outside and not run during the short winter we have. When I get back on them in the spring I may or may not change the oil. Having said all of that - I have never seen emulsified oil in an engine like my new Gravely had. Remember this engine is in its breakin period - the most important phase in an engine's life. For all I know the water oil mix has been in the crankcase since the engine was filled at the Gravely factory. The mower was built in Aug 2010. This could be no big deal but I am not willing to bet $4800 on it.

pugs
01-25-2011, 01:15 PM
One thing I made sure of when I bought my Scag was that it wasn't sitting around. I didn't have to worry since they had to order it. Came in a crate and was shinny new. :)

LOL, guess how long it was sitting in that crate in warehouses or wherever...with oil in it.

pugs
01-25-2011, 01:24 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, I agree...massive crazy over reactions in this thread. I have seen oil look like this many times from what they call short tripping. Basically machines at a dealer are driven out in front of the dealer and driven back in at night. The engines are not brought up to temperature or put under any loads. A bit of fuel gets into the oil and over time develops into a milky color. Change the oil and be done with it.

For a few days I would not worry. Over winter it might be a good idea to put some oil in the cylinders. The big difference is whether you store the machine outdoors or indoors and if its climate controlled or not.

ALC-GregH
01-26-2011, 09:01 AM
LOL, guess how long it was sitting in that crate in warehouses or wherever...with oil in it.

A week at most. The warehouse my dealer gets them from didn't have it and was waiting for the next batch from Metalcraft of Mayville. I'd say it was in the crate about 2 weeks maybe. Mean while they gave me a Freedom Z to use until the new one came in. It had zero hrs on it. Brand spanking new mower to use just to get me going for that week I had to wait.

Also, in my 30 years in the auto industry, I've never seen gas turn oil a milky color. That's just plain BS you're spewing there.

Gravely Commercial
01-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Just got a new HD 48" Gravely zero turn. It has a 24 HP Kawasaki engine. When I got it home I checked the oil and it was milky in color, not the typical clear brown. To me this suggests water in the oil. Or - is this some kind of special break in oil? Doesn't even have 1 hour on it yet. Any thoughts?

The oil supplied in the engine should be clear brown in color. It is not a break in oil. Apparently moisture got into the oil. I would suggest changing oil sooner than later.

Mel Edinger
Ariens Gravely Company

Gravely Commercial
01-26-2011, 10:20 AM

The oil supplied in the engine should be clear brown in color. It is not a break in oil. Apparently moisture got into the oil. I would suggest changing oil sooner than later.

Mel Edinger
Ariens Gravely Company

SouthSide Cutter
01-26-2011, 10:30 AM
A few things I disagree with. First your blades have no oil coating on them and will rust over night as will the inside of the deck. Coat them with oil and see what happens. The inside of the engine is a little different. I don't agree with the gas turning the oil milky unless your running methanol!!!! And sucking water in the intake. I know this happens. But you cant compress water, and it has to get by the rings first to get to the crankcase. So in turn the rings have to be bad. Usually it will bend the rods before it does anything else. And it will junk the engine. But man the air filter has to be like a funnel and a down pour to do this. Just not a rain shower.
I had a Dodge 4.8 and if you run Mobil 1 in it, it turned milky. Put 10-30 Penn reg oil in it and all was fine 100000 mile worth before trading. My wifes Denali if you put Penn syn oil in it it smells scorched when changing, put reg Penn 10-30 and all is fine no smell.
Somethings just baffle your mind sometimes and everything is not equal.

Richard Martin
01-26-2011, 11:26 AM
My wifes Denali if you put Penn syn oil in it it smells scorched when changing, put reg Penn 10-30 and all is fine no smell.

I had the same thing happen with my wife's Cobalt. The Pennzoil Platinum smelled fried after 3,000 miles.

SouthSide Cutter
01-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Doesn't make any sense does it? But a mech that used to work at a Dealer said they noticed this on a lot of oils in the new mtrs when they were changing oil. And it wasn't just 1 brand either.
Richard I run this same oil in one of my mowers and it did not smell when I changed it. But I switched to a different oil because of the Denali.

pugs
01-26-2011, 06:51 PM
A week at most. The warehouse my dealer gets them from didn't have it and was waiting for the next batch from Metalcraft of Mayville. I'd say it was in the crate about 2 weeks maybe. Mean while they gave me a Freedom Z to use until the new one came in. It had zero hrs on it. Brand spanking new mower to use just to get me going for that week I had to wait.

Also, in my 30 years in the auto industry, I've never seen gas turn oil a milky color. That's just plain BS you're spewing there.

Well try taking a new air cooled Kawasaki engine with fresh oil and driving it to your front yard each morning and back into your garage at night for 20-30 days...see what happens.

Thunderhead
01-26-2011, 07:17 PM

That is EXACTLY what they should ahve done, and EXACTLY what I would have wanted. Sounds like Gravely stands behind their customers too.

I have a super, super nice and honest Hustler/RedMax dealer whom I do business with. And the best part about it, he isn't but about 2 miles from my house. I feel very fortunate...

Congratulations, and good luck with your new Gravely! They are some very nice mowers! I'm sure you'll get many, many hours of service out of it!:usflag:

sgrol
01-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Well I got my replacement mower today. First thing I noticed was worn looking tires. After I thoroughly went through it I found debris caked under the mower deck, several rust areas including the muffler. Serial number was older than what I had. Hours were a low 1.4 but, I understand the meter is easy to disconnect. At this point I am exasperated. I feel like I am being a hard ass but if I buy something new I expect it to be new. I didn't pay for a demo but looks like I got one. This is the first mower I have purchased, most are given to me to fix and have. For you more experienced buyers - is this normal in the mower industry?

pyromedic
01-28-2011, 11:53 PM
After dealing with Gravely a few years back with my XDZ144 deck issues, I will say that Gravely and their top dealers in the DFW area worked to resolve the issue at great length. However like in your case it is not to your satisfaction or was it to mine. I was offered to trade it in on a "demo" at a $2000 loss on a mower with less than 10 hrs. I hope they work it out for you, I still have the unit and still have the exact same issues even after trying multiple blade combinations. The demo unit they brought out should not have had debris under if they were trying to be on the up and up. Your issue was with the engine not the deck or cut quality. They did make the effort which I was assured no other manufacture would have, but when I spent 7K on a "commercial" mower I expected to not have to worry about anything for 5yrs minimum, due to mowing acreage around our home not everyday 10hrs or more, which I am sure the unit could handle.
Stay safe and hope you get the unit resolved to "your" satisfaction.

StihlMechanic
01-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Its normal in the mower business if you let it happen. I have seen many demo units sold as new at the many dealers I have worked at. They usually clean them up better though.

Thunderhead
01-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Well I got my replacement mower today. First thing I noticed was worn looking tires. After I thoroughly went through it I found debris caked under the mower deck, several rust areas including the muffler. Serial number was older than what I had. Hours were a low 1.4 but, I understand the meter is easy to disconnect. At this point I am exasperated. I feel like I am being a hard ass but if I buy something new I expect it to be new. I didn't pay for a demo but looks like I got one. This is the first mower I have purchased, most are given to me to fix and have. For you more experienced buyers - is this normal in the mower industry?

Personally, at this point, I'd be raising some major hell. If it was me, I'd probably be demanding every penny of my money back and look at another dealer (or brand). There's no way I would have accepted that mower.

A new mower is a new mower. That isn't what you have... No way I'd put up with it. Enough is enough. If I were in your shoes, I would honestly feel like I got a slap in the face. Period.

DO NOT let them get over on you. If you're getting this kind of service now, then how do you think it's gonna be later on down the road??

I'm kinda mad about it myself and it isn't even my mower or my $$ !!

Greyst1
01-29-2011, 02:27 AM
Wow, appalling. Bring it back and demand a refund. Then call the manufacture and fill them in.

StanWilhite
01-29-2011, 02:52 AM
Wow, appalling. Bring it back and demand a refund. Then call the manufacture and fill them in.

Ditto........

BINKY1902
01-29-2011, 02:54 AM
My Gravely dealer has demo mowers and new mowers in the crate. You try out a demo, and if you decide to buy, he takes yours out of the crate, brand new, and gets it set up while he's going over the demo machine with you showing you the features, etc. The day you buy it is the first time it has fuel put into it. I was actually very impressed, I was mowing with the demo, I think it had like 2.5 hrs on it, and when we pulled back up to the shop I said I want it. I told him he could load it on my trailer and I'll get the cash. He said, sir, this won't be your mower, yours is still untouched in the crate, and we'll get it set up for you. That's the kind of service I like, I didn't mind a bit waiting for them to set it up, knowing that it was factory fresh.

Thunderhead
01-29-2011, 02:59 AM
My Gravely dealer has demo mowers and new mowers in the crate. You try out a demo, and if you decide to buy, he takes yours out of the crate, brand new, and gets it set up while he's going over the demo machine with you showing you the features, etc. The day you buy it is the first time it has fuel put into it. I was actually very impressed, I was mowing with the demo, I think it had like 2.5 hrs on it, and when we pulled back up to the shop I said I want it. I told him he could load it on my trailer and I'll get the cash. He said, sir, this won't be your mower, yours is still untouched in the crate, and we'll get it set up for you. That's the kind of service I like, I didn't mind a bit waiting for them to set it up, knowing that it was factory fresh.

This is exactly how it SHOULD be at every dealer, unless you choose to buy the demo. Sounds like you have a really good dealer.

bc3xx0
01-29-2011, 04:23 AM

You probably got the one that some other guy got replaced due to water in the oil!!! I bet you the oil in this rig was sparkling clean!!!

But seriously. You said "thoroughly went through it" and you found rust, a rusty muffler, and debris caked under the deck. That sounds more like a visual inspection!! Did you accept this mower at delivery or take it home from the dealership? What I am getting at, is these things would have been showstoppers for me instantly. The moment they showed me the machine, I'd have looked it over and accepted or denied it.

If you'd have brought it home and found a bent spindle or leaking hydro seal, I could understand you accepting it, but you are mentioning basic stuff that should have been noticable with little effort.

I just ask because it sounds like you accepted it and got it home and started nit picking and getting remorse. You paid for a new mower, that is what you should get and you shouldn't have accepted less.

sgrol
01-29-2011, 10:39 AM
The saga continues. It was late when they swapped the mowers at my house so I wasn't able to go through it completely. This morning I was able to check out some more items and found the hour meter didn't work like the other one - didn't do anything when I turned on the key. I unscrewed the panel to find it had been completely disconnected. Noticed yesterday on delivery that tires were not like the other one. Looked up specs on Gravely website and the tires are not same size as advertised. At this point I was livid. Called the sales rep and relayed my findings. He said the Gravely sales rep brought him this mower and he was going to take up the matter with him. Told him I wanted refund or mower in crate. More to come...

Thunderhead
01-29-2011, 01:21 PM
He said the Gravely sales rep brought him this mower and he was going to take up the matter with him. Told him I wanted refund or mower in crate. More to come...

Yelp, they're trying to sell you a demo, or a mower that was traded in, now. STICK TO YOUR GUNS!!! You paid for a new mower, so YOU tell THEM what YOU want.

Doesn't sound like your dealer is good at all. I'd want a full refund of my money and go to a different dealer. It would be had for me, if I were in your shoes, to even purchase a Gravely now.

Have you looked at Hustler or Bob-Cat?

I WOULD make it a point to contact Gravely about this. Completely piss poor...:realmad:

Gravely Commercial
01-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Sgrol,

I understand you are not satisfied with the service you have received. Our goal at Gravely is to Astound Our Customers. Unfortunately in your case we have failed.

A Gravely district manager has contacted the dealer and made arrangements to get you a new mower in the crate. Please contact your dealer Monday and this will get resolved.

Again, I apologize on the behave of Gravely and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

fatboynormmie
01-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Sgrol,

I understand you are not satisfied with the service you have received. Our goal at Gravely is to Astound Our Customers. Unfortunately in your case we have failed.

A Gravely district manager has contacted the dealer and made arrangements to get you a new mower in the crate. Please contact your dealer Monday and this will get resolved.

Again, I apologize on the behave of Gravely and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

KUDO'S to you Gravely Commercial way to stand behind your products.Glad to see LawnSite helping out us little guys.Gravely makes good equipment at fair prices .I own 6 Gravely's some older some newer and there all excellent machines.

Thunderhead
01-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Sgrol,

This sounds MUCH better.

Thunderhead
01-29-2011, 05:29 PM
KUDO'S to you Gravely Commercial way to stand behind your products.Glad to see LawnSite helping out us little guys.Gravely makes good equipment at fair prices .I own 6 Gravely's some older some newer and there all excellent machines.

I couldn't agree more.

sgrol
01-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks for jumping in Gravely Commercial. I love the mower. Originally went in to see the XL but liked the HD a little better. I'm ready to be astounded, in a good way this time. And thanks to the rest of you guys for backing me up.

Thunderhead
01-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks for jumping in Gravely Commercial. I love the mower. Originally went in to see the XL but liked the HD a little better. I'm ready to be astounded, in a good way this time. And thanks to the rest of you guys for backing me up.

You're Welcome. Just let us know how everything turned out...

StanWilhite
01-29-2011, 09:24 PM

Congrats!
My son has a 252 and has been treated like royalty by our local Gravely dealer. I'm glad to see he's not alone!

Greyst1
01-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Sgrol,

To the Gravel rep,

I applaud you & the resolution. Never used a gravely before but just knowing how you handled this makes me want to look at a Gravely. Once again, i applaud you here. Great job!

Allot of people/company's can & should learn something from Gravely.

SouthSide Cutter
01-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Sgrol,

Takes a good man And Company to say this. Ever think about running for Gov. office. They could use some people like you!!!!

bc3xx0
01-30-2011, 10:18 AM
When it comes time for a new mower, this thread will come to mind!! WTG Gravely.

outlaw1960
01-30-2011, 11:34 AM
To the Gravel rep,

I applaud you & the resolution. Never used a gravely before but just knowing how you handled this makes me want to look at a Gravely. Once again, i applaud you here. Great job!

Allot of people/company's can & should learn something from Gravely.

Our Pro-Green Expo is this week....I will take a closer look at Gravely after seeing this type of customer support!

sgrol
02-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Received new mower today. Looks great, think all is good.

Thunderhead
02-01-2011, 07:59 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Let us know how you like it and post some pics!!!

BadRancher
02-01-2011, 08:20 PM

That is great, That wouldn't have happened if it would have been an Exmark j/k.

It was impressive the way the Gravely rep stepped up on the forum, but do any of you guys think he got great(deserving) treatment just because he made a thread on Lawnsite?

What if it were a guy walking and dealing straight with the dealer and never letting it get to this level? Nothing against Gravely but look how the dealer tried to shaft this guy and would have if it not been for this thread and thousands of potential Gravely customers reading it! Then the Gravely rep stepped in on the forum to handle the situation also Damage control!

Nothing against Mr. Sgrol here and not taking a shot at you. You deserved to great a quality product for your money! And I will honestly say this will make Gravely cross my mind when I think of or suggest mower brands to someone.

jtsnipe
02-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Sgrol,

Again, I apologize on the behave of Gravely and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.I grew up with a Gravely convertible in the 60's.
Bought a new one mid 90's,still have that mower at my sisters. I don't currently run a Gravely daily but with that kind of support there on my short list next time I'm looking.

sgrol
02-01-2011, 09:04 PM

It was impressive the way the Gravely rep stepped up on the forum, but do any of you guys think he got great(deserving) treatment just because he made a thread on Lawnsite?

What if it were a guy walking and dealing straight with the dealer and never letting it get to this level? Nothing against Gravely but look how the dealer tried to shaft this guy and would have if it not been for this thread and thousands of potential Gravely customers reading it! Then the Gravely rep stepped in on the forum to handle the situation also Damage control!

Nothing against Mr. Sgrol here and not taking a shot at you. You deserved to great a quality product for your money! And I will honestly say this will make Gravely cross my mind when I think of or suggest mower brands to someone.

Certainly didn't hurt to get Gravely involved but I wasn't going to put up with anything less than a new mower - exactly what I paid for. Sales guy confirmed my claim of water in the oil on first mower. Even though it was built last summer I would have been happy with it if it wasn't for the oil issue. As far as the second mower, I had them over a barrel when I found the hour meter disconnected. It looked used the first time I saw it and the sales guy just brushed me off when I mentioned the tires and rust spots. Water under the bridge. The mower is a beast. I have ordered a Donaldson two stage canister filter to replace the factory paper unit. Can't wait for the grass to start growing. I very much appreciate the help and support I have received here. Have bookmarked this forum.

Thunderhead
02-02-2011, 12:19 AM

If it wasn't for Lawnsite and Gravely Rep., Mr. Sgrol may very well be still having to fight. Hopefully everybody learned from this (especially the selling dealer) so this exact situation (for this company at least) will never arise again.
I think that once people start finding out what "computers and internet" can actually do for you, we'll be seeing major changes in the way manufacturers of products treat the consumer.
"Hey, I had a problem/issue with my product and I got everything resolved from my home computer! You shold try it and see if you receive the same help."

Like he stated though, it's water under the bridge- so all is well.

BadRancher
02-02-2011, 12:40 AM
If it wasn't for Lawnsite and Gravely Rep., Mr. Sgrol may very well be still having to fight. Hopefully everybody learned from this (especially the selling dealer) so this exact situation (for this company at least) will never arise again.
I think that once people start finding out what "computers and internet" can actually do for you, we'll be seeing major changes in the way manufacturers of products treat the consumer.
"Hey, I had a problem/issue with my product and I got everything resolved from my home computer! You shold try it and see if you receive the same help."

Like he stated though, it's water under the bridge- so all is well.
Agreed! Going by his post he seems like a good person, so I'm glad his situation was resolved or anyone that dropped that much on a mower for that matter!

Even though Gravely has been around for a long time, around here its mostly Exmark and Scag. But if that is what Gravely is really about and that wasn't just about damage control, they may have good future customers just from that Rep stepping in and being very proactive. A lot of folks have viewed this thread and will keep Gravely in their mind, maybe even me or folks I know when they need a mower!

A few days after I bought my Metro 36, I noticed there was oil leaking out of a crack in the block and a pinhole in the gas tank. My dealer fixed these asap and lit a fire under Exmark's ass to get the parts and motor! No problems or questions.

Almost a year after I had my TThp 52" the coil went out. The dealer never tried to screw me over and they fixed the day I sent it in thankfully. My Dealer has made more of an impression on me than Exmark has lol. Thats why I want to stick with them.

I hope Mr. Sgrol will have better luck with this dealer if something should go wrong under warranty! Sorry for the long story just wanted to brag on my dealer service a little bit.

UNDERCUTTERS OMAHA
05-27-2011, 11:55 AM
I a having the same issue with a little craftsman 19 horse mower. I changed the oil, ran it and it got milky, changed it again, ran it and it was milky again. I think I will just run it for a while to see if that changes the outcome. I think it sat for a while, but with a new mower, I would taje it back for a explanation.