PDA

View Full Version : Gas Cans

dreich3075
01-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Anyone ever find the old style gas cans? Not the C.A.R.B compliant ones. The ones that works just fine. Before the government jumped in and had to take control of something else.

Overseas maybe?

igotdiesel2
01-22-2011, 10:41 PM
I haven't seen one in the stores forever. I have gutted the valve necks on the new ones and they work as the old ones did, just doesn't flow as fast. -Jason

Dogbonz
01-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Ebay or Craigslist.

Has ever type you want!

Like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220716566952&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

or these,,,, http://collectibles.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=gas+can&_sacat=35682&_odkw=&_osacat=35682&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

tailboardtech
01-23-2011, 12:54 AM
i seen a older 5 gal plastic blitz can go for 35 dollars last week at a farm auction they had some others there they were all bringing at least 20 bucks, thank you EPA

Southside Lawn Services
01-23-2011, 04:54 AM
I have 8 of them from our motorcross racing days for the generator. I never thought of using them on the trailer. Is it worth shipping if you want them?

OSU 09
01-23-2011, 08:07 AM
I have a couple of old ones left that are going to be in need of replacement soon. I will either be finding the old style somewhere or modifying the new ones, b/c the new ones drive me crazy. Thank you EPA for costing me more money and making my job harder.

macaw
01-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Briggs & Stratton Gas Containers
http://www.theplasticsgroup.net/consprod_gasc_ul.htm
http://www.theplasticsgroup.net/images/P72501_1007_UL_SS.pdf
They still make them you just have to find a place to buy them.
My local dealers carry them.I guess any Briggs dealer can get them.

crete
01-23-2011, 10:39 AM
I have 8 of them from our motorcross racing days for the generator. I never thought of using them on the trailer. Is it worth shipping if you want them?

I would scoop on those in a heartbeat if the offer is still open. Terry

yardguy28
01-23-2011, 11:08 AM
i just use whatever the local lowes sells. the only problem i have with them is the no venting.

Dogbonz
01-23-2011, 11:57 AM
To bad the ones, Macaw posted are the Canada listed products,,, :( on that site go to products, and see the US one's are EPA compliant. I bet California started all this chit to begin with,,, When is that liberal he11 hole gonna fall off in the ocean?

igotdiesel2
01-23-2011, 12:33 PM
I use gas cans from Menards. I have 2 gal for handhelds and 5 gal for mowers. If it just the cans or the black collar things that are going bad the old necks will still fit the new cans made by the same company. I have about a dozen of the old filler necks on hand and if a can or collar goes bad I just go get a new can and replace the new neck. Now for those that want vents on there cans. I went to a tire shop and got a few tire valves. I drilled holes in my cans (empty) and ran a wire from the hole into the tank around to the big hole and pulled the valve into the hole locking it in place. I will get some pics up later today on what it looks like. -Jason

BadRancher
01-23-2011, 12:38 PM
I do collar/spout swaps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ducke
01-23-2011, 01:18 PM
I guess I'm just a good old red neck Canadian but I have to ask
What is the new C.A.R.B. gas can and how dose it differ for what we have up here and you use to have down there ??

cvcook
01-23-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm thinking about getting some of these!
http://www.nospill.com/index.php

igotdiesel2
01-23-2011, 01:43 PM
I guess I'm just a good old red neck Canadian but I have to ask
What is the new C.A.R.B. gas can and how dose it differ for what we have up here and you use to have down there ??

C. A. R. B. California Air Resources Board. New cans down here have no venting and you have to push the neck down to get fuel to flow out. The quick and easy explanation. Not real handy when trying to fill up a hedge trimmer! -Jason

chipk1
01-23-2011, 09:36 PM
The new cans don't have vents. What I do is put an old neck and collar on the new can. Then I use a 1/2" PVC slip cap and drill a tiny 1/32" hole in the end of it. The Cap fits tightly on the top of the spout and this allows the can to breath. The hole is so small that water doesn't get into the can. I have used this for a year and my cans sit in the weather 24/7!:cool2:

Ducke
01-24-2011, 08:29 AM
C. A. R. B. California Air Resources Board. New cans down here have no venting and you have to push the neck down to get fuel to flow out. The quick and easy explanation. Not real handy when trying to fill up a hedge trimmer! -Jason

Once again a bunch of office sitting, university degree holding, tree hugging, humus eating, electric car, solar panel, organic food eating, living off of mommy and daddy's back, never worked a real job, snot nosed idiots making life more difficult for people like us that really work for a living, man those type PISS me off.:angry:

macaw
01-24-2011, 08:53 AM
To bad the ones, Macaw posted are the Canada listed products,,, :( on that site go to products, and see the US one's are EPA compliant. I bet California started all this chit to begin with,,, When is that liberal he11 hole gonna fall off in the ocean?

I purchase 2 a couple of years ago and just seen them at my local dealership.

Lawnfella
01-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Go with the nospill cans. Best I've used so far.

mowslot54
01-24-2011, 02:28 PM
These are what I use. The only thing is that you have to buy a replacement cap and then the hose seperate. Other than that they work great. http://www.vpracingfuels.com/page469715.html
Posted via Mobile Device

lazyike
01-24-2011, 06:38 PM
I get so pissed off every time I have to use one of those cans I make shure I dump a little extra on the ground just to prove my point that unless you have 4 arms you cannot fill up a chainsaw.... I wish California would fall into the ocean already:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Maco Services
01-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Agreed on the nospill cans, best I've found for abuse, lack of contamination, don't loose caps.

My local dealer carries them, but he was saying they have a Honda part number which means any Honda dealer should be able to get them.

Unfortunately, they are also made so you can't retrofit the caps to other cans. Also, any can you have that you lock up by the handle, I don't think these have a handle all the way though, just an indention. I'd recommend these in a heart beat, but haven't had them more than a year, don't know if they will continue to holdup or not, but for now, they are great.

bobcat48
01-24-2011, 07:34 PM
I have a about 5 cans and one newer one i bought eariler around fall time and truth is never used it just sitting and collecting dust.I like the regular older style blitz ones have two 5 gallon and two one gallon and the others are cheaper kind and have one older eagle one.

Evan528
01-25-2011, 12:04 AM
I have 3 old 5 Gallon blitz cans that are over 16 years old..... over the years the plastic spouts have dry rotted and broken off to about 2 inches. We use them anyway as I HATE the new cans.

landers lawn
01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
only problem i have with the no spill cans is that i leave them on the trailer and they get holes in them. if i dont they last for a long time. they are good gas cans.

yardguy28
01-26-2011, 01:27 AM
they get holes in them because you leave then on the trailer?

sure lost me. not to mention having a hole or 2 in them (assuming they would be at the top) would be great because then they'd vent.

PLS-Tx
01-26-2011, 02:16 AM
I have 3 old 5 Gallon blitz cans that are over 16 years old..... over the years the plastic spouts have dry rotted and broken off to about 2 inches. We use them anyway as I HATE the new cans.

I will give $100 for each of them. :laugh:

I still have two of them, I also have a bunch of the spouts.

I like the No spill cans, we use the 2.5gal ones for mix.

unit28
01-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Someone by me threw out 4 old chilton plastic cans and 2 eagle metal safety cans.
I was driving by and the guy was setting them out by the curb.

The Chiltons are <6 gallon> wide bottom,
The Eagles are 2 and 5 gallon.
6 freebies in perfect shape

yardguy28
01-26-2011, 09:40 AM
i really don't see the big deal about the no spill cans.

they aren't rocket science. a child can use the no spill spouts.

my only problem is they don't vent. otherwise i find the no spill spouts very helpful in aiding to prevent spills. when the can is half or less full i can very easily poor fuel with 1 hand. no reason you need 2 hands to operate the no spill spouts.

makes me question the brains of people in this industry. we can mow perfectly straight lines with nice stripes, put down a nice sharp edge around beds and walkways, clean up leaves in the fall so the home owners property looks like its spring or summer, we (some of us) know what plants and bushes to put where and which ones do best it what types of climates, but we can't operate a simple spout on a gas can or open a simple cap on a stihl trimmer.

unit28
01-26-2011, 11:03 AM
i really don't see the big deal about the no spill cans.

they aren't rocket science. a child can use the no spill spouts.

I agree, they're made for children

Maco Services
01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
yardguy,

I don't know if some (or maybe I) am calling the two different "No spill" cans, the same thing.

When I say no spill, I mean this:
http://www.furniturepowerusa.com/no-spill-1450-5-gallon-poly-gas-can-carb-compliant/

And I agree, I think they are fine for one handed operation, unless you are lugging a 5 gallon around. Only the debris sucking, cap losing, open to rain, spill everywhere varieties are impervious to that.

The other, blitz spout that is off the shelf at most hardware stores, we use them as we have to, but I still find them a pain in the butt. I just wonder if people are referring to these as "no spill" because they are able to be shut off if not holding the lever back.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YKFQLM/?tag=aug1baauto-20

I like the "No spill cans". They keep an occasional shower from contaminating fuel, dust and debris have less chance to get into the spout and container, and they wont dump out when they fall over.

yardguy28
01-26-2011, 04:17 PM
the one's i use have the nozzle like your link from amazon.

i find these extremely easy to use 1 handed when the can is half or less full. as soon as you let go of the lever fuel stops flowing so it is a no spill design.

either one looks every easy to use if you ask me. certainly us lawn monkeys can figure it out.

hackitdown
01-26-2011, 05:38 PM
my only problem is they don't vent.

It is pretty easy to add a vent to a plastic gas can. I use a metal tire valve stem with the valve removed. I use them on the 5 gallon cans to speed things up. Cheap and easy improvement.

makes me question the brains of people in this industry. we can mow perfectly straight lines with nice stripes, put down a nice sharp edge around beds and walkways, clean up leaves in the fall so the home owners property looks like its spring or summer, we (some of us) know what plants and bushes to put where and which ones do best it what types of climates, but we can't operate a simple spout on a gas can or open a simple cap on a stihl trimmer.

Those Stihl caps suck. Luckily Stihl has figured it out and changed the design, and replaced mine with new ones.

yardguy28
01-27-2011, 01:32 PM
It is pretty easy to add a vent to a plastic gas can. I use a metal tire valve stem with the valve removed. I use them on the 5 gallon cans to speed things up. Cheap and easy improvement.

Those Stihl caps suck. Luckily Stihl has figured it out and changed the design, and replaced mine with new ones.

i just stick a few holes in the handle with a nail or drill bit.

i happen to like the stihl caps. don't know about the updates to the design they made but mine work great the way they are.

Frank's Lawn Care
02-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I hate the spouts,they're plastic. If one breaks it cost almost as much as a new can. $7 for a spout. bs! F..K epa! Ozone bs! a drop of gas on the ground does hurt shiiiittt.

mwyne
04-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Check these out www.ezpourspout.com you can get a new spout for your old can, and comes with a replaceable vent

you can take a brand new gas can and make into the old style.

if you live in a CARB state, buy their water jug kit!!!!!!!

clydebusa
04-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Anyone ever find the old style gas cans? Not the C.A.R.B compliant ones. The ones that works just fine. Before the government jumped in and had to take control of something else.

Overseas maybe?

Since they have gone to the new style, I only find them at garage sales. I buy all I can, will store them and use them later. They are getting harder to find even now. So start hitting the garage sales.