PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap on older mowers?

BadRancher
01-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Have any of you guys swapped engines on older mowers? I have an older bobcat that I'm thinking of bringing in on more cutting. Currently it has a 14hp single cylinder. It still runs pretty good, but bogs to easy in thicker stuff. I would like to upgrade to V-twin 15 or 17hp. Have any of you guys done this or tried to do this? Does the rest of the mower hold up to the power increase?

knox gsl
01-23-2011, 12:04 AM
I up graded my TT last year when the engine died from a 20hp to a 23hp kohler. Your best bet would be to contact an engine supplier; http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/, http://www.opeengines.com/, or something similar and give them the spec number off the current engine. If the current engine doesn't have that information then use the serial and model number of the mower. Last case option would be to remove the bottom pulleys and measure the crank, engine bolt patten and carb control linkage. They should be able to get you setup. The least I would do on a repower for a 48" mower is 19HP if you see alot of 14day cuts in bermuda and bahaia grass.

BadRancher
01-23-2011, 02:15 AM
I up graded my TT last year when the engine died from a 20hp to a 23hp kohler. Your best bet would be to contact an engine supplier; http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/, http://www.opeengines.com/, or something similar and give them the spec number off the current engine. If the current engine doesn't have that information then use the serial and model number of the mower. Last case option would be to remove the bottom pulleys and measure the crank, engine bolt patten and carb control linkage. They should be able to get you setup. The least I would do on a repower for a 48" mower is 19HP if you see alot of 14day cuts in bermuda and bahaia grass.

Thanks for the info. I just need to find out if the rest of the mower can hold up to a power increase. Then Find out if there is a motor that will bolt up to it.

djagusch
01-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Holding up to pwr ? I don't think I would be worried about it. If it is a belt drive the peerless trans is stilled used today and can handle modern pwr. On a hydro unit I would say the same thing, they also tend to have bypass valves built in. 17 to 19 hp is all a wb needs.
Posted via Mobile Device

BINKY1902
01-23-2011, 02:02 PM
You just have belts connecting the engine/hydros and engine/pulleys, and your turning the same rpms if it's a 14hp or a 17hp, so it's not gonna hurt the machine. It's not like a car, in which you have components directly taking the power from the engine. Just get an engine with the same bolt pattern for mounting, and the same shaft size and length, so you don't have to even worry about finding another engine pulley to fit. Even if you had an electric blade clutch I don't see that small of an increase in power affecting it.

BadRancher
01-23-2011, 02:38 PM
I didn't know. I thought maybe with the extra power and torque on the drive and blade belt systems or on the pulleys and spindles could cause problems.

Sounds like the things I really need to worry about are the throttle control on the control area and etc. The way it is set up on this is the throttle is also the choke when you max it out. I assume that on a new motor the choke would be on the motor itself like newer model Kawi's are.

Landrus2
01-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Kawasaki 15hp twin cylinder will be fine:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

djagusch
01-23-2011, 02:49 PM
I didn't know. I thought maybe with the extra power and torque on the drive and blade belt systems or on the pulleys and spindles could cause problems.

Sounds like the things I really need to worry about are the throttle control on the control area and etc. The way it is set up on this is the throttle is also the choke when you max it out. I assume that on a new motor the choke would be on the motor itself like newer model Kawi's are.

Your really over thinking this. Buy a pull start engine with the same mounting holes (they give specs on this), same shaft size and type(taper/keyed/ect). Mount it up. Buy some cables (hint if you buy a engine that is the same as a mfg, buy the cables from the mfg dealer). Mount up the throttle/choke and you are done.
Posted via Mobile Device

BadRancher
01-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Your really over thinking this. Buy a pull start engine with the same mounting holes (they give specs on this), same shaft size and type(taper/keyed/ect). Mount it up. Buy some cables (hint if you buy a engine that is the same as a mfg, buy the cables from the mfg dealer). Mount up the throttle/choke and you are done.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you saying if Kawi motor get their throttle cables or are you saying get Bobcat cable and etc. I'll probably be getting the motor online.

BINKY1902
01-23-2011, 03:17 PM
When you buy a motor you can get one designed for remote cable controls, which means you can control your throttle and choke from the machine.

djagusch
01-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Are you saying if Kawi motor get their throttle cables or are you saying get Bobcat cable and etc. I'll probably be getting the motor online.

Yes go to bobcats website find the current motor they are using and you want to buy. Buy the same engine model but with the correct shaft. Buy the engine online. Go to bobcat dealer and get cables for the current model. You may need to fab up something for the cable/throttle/choke lever but it will be very easy. A dealer worth anything would be able to match up cables off his shelves also.
Posted via Mobile Device

BadRancher
01-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Yes go to bobcats website find the current motor they are using and you want to buy. Buy the same engine model but with the correct shaft. Buy the engine online. Go to bobcat dealer and get cables for the current model. You may need to fab up something for the cable/throttle/choke lever but it will be very easy. A dealer worth anything would be able to match up cables off his shelves also.
Posted via Mobile Device

Makes sense. According to Bobcat sight, they currently only come with a 16HP Kawi motor. I can't see the whole mower, but it looks a lot like mine. Maybe mine isn't as old as it looks.

rwaters
01-24-2011, 11:11 AM
if you have not already bought your engine I would call and ask your local dealers for a price first. Shipping on engines is high and sometimes you can save a lot from a local dealer. Kawasaki is direct so dealer pricing should be pretty standard across the nation.

BadRancher
01-24-2011, 08:40 PM
I will. I think the online shop is free shipping, but I will check with a dealer. I'm still not sure what HP yet.