PDA

View Full Version : What do you include with your estimates?

MICHPLOWER
01-23-2011, 12:32 AM
I was just wondering what everyone includes or leaves with the client when estimating a new job. Thanks for any input.

h2oskier
01-23-2011, 03:09 AM
A fruit cake if i really would prefer not to do the job.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Baytownlawncare
01-23-2011, 08:28 AM
I personally quote for my basic lawn service. Cut all grassy areas, Trim around all buildings, trees, fences etc., edge all cement areas that touch the lawn, clearing off such cement areas(blow). Flower Beds are not included, Herbicide is not included, and shrub trimming is not included. Now if they ask for these to be included, I will put it in the quote. I try to get on board with the basic stuff and then add in all the goodies later. Kinda like a car salesman get you to buy a car and then says well this one has leather and power seats and windows! I have found if you quote a large price for the yard and all the bells and whistles you lose the bid. I have also found that if someone says, "I will call you" or "I will keep you in mind" that usually means you don't get the job. If they don't hire you on the spot that is a good indication that you don't get the bid. Just my 2 cents.

93Chevy
01-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Yeah....I don't add leaves into my quote. Additionally, I never charge extra to catch. Unless the customer says fro the getgo they want their lawn caught, I just give them a price and it's my responsibility to discharge, double cut, or catch depending on the growth. If they ask for a leaf quote I'll add it in, but I don't like to quote leaves without seeing them first.

yardguy28
01-23-2011, 10:11 AM
what i leave in an estimate depends on what the person is asking for.

if they want an estimate on mowing, shrub prunning and leaves, thats what the estimate includes. if all they are looking for is mowing give them an estimate for just mowing.

Sutherland
01-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Whenever I get a call for a mowing estimate I include pruning, edging, mulch in my estimate. My thought is when their looking out on their yard on a Saturday morning and its 80-90 degrees its gonna be easier to call me to do it then get out there and do it themselves. I cleared and extra 5 figures last year from giving my customers the information. I've never had a customer complain either, simply including the information on the bid isn't being pushy just informative.

Whatever season it is or service they're asking for I include information for the next season/service. I've got my foot in the door I'm not gonna miss the opportunity. I think this shows your looking out for their property as well (all in how you sell it).

yardguy28
01-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Whenever I get a call for a mowing estimate I include pruning, edging, mulch in my estimate. My thought is when their looking out on their yard on a Saturday morning and its 80-90 degrees its gonna be easier to call me to do it then get out there and do it themselves. I cleared and extra 5 figures last year from giving my customers the information. I've never had a customer complain either, simply including the information on the bid isn't being pushy just informative.

my thinking is if they want prices on mulch or pruning they can ask me. they already know what i do. either they've seen my advertising or i give them a list of services i offer.

not to mention some people save estimates in there lock box for future reference. upon hiring they might want the mowing estimate because they feel they need something in paper to hold me to that price. they don't want a paper that has all these other prices on it. just a paper with a mowing price.

Sutherland
01-23-2011, 11:46 AM
my thinking is if they want prices on mulch or pruning they can ask me. they already know what i do. either they've seen my advertising or i give them a list of services i offer.

not to mention some people save estimates in there lock box for future reference. upon hiring they might want the mowing estimate because they feel they need something in paper to hold me to that price. they don't want a paper that has all these other prices on it. just a paper with a mowing price.

Sure and I can understand that, but I like to be more active in my sales its just good business. I say let them save my estimate that means they're calling me when they want the work hopefully. They can't hold you to a price on an estimate.

This is all just my style everyone plays it differently. I try and go the extra mile with everything. I'll do quick landscape designs to upsell after pruning or mulching too. I just feel you have the service to offer and it's your job to make sure they know about it, assuming they read your sign or flyer isn't proactive.

J.L.M.
01-26-2011, 12:09 AM
I have 3 basic services, and just ask my customers which one of them fits their needs the best. Here they are, feel free to use them.........

* “Mow & Go” (Mow and edge all turfs, blow off all turfs and hardscapes, remove grass clippings after each service visit.)

* “Turf & Bed” (Mow and edge all turfs. Rake, weed, and detail all beds. Fertilize turf 3-5 times a year, or as needed. Blow off all property, and remove debris from property after each service visit.)

* “Full Maintenance” (Mow and edge all turfs. Rake, weed, and detail all beds. Fertilize turf 3-5 times a year, or as needed. Keep all bushes, shrubs, hedges, plants, and trees under 8 feet pruned, shaped, and maintained during each service visit. Blow off property and remove debris.)

* One time services (Leaf blowing & clean-up, major yard clean ups, fall clean-up. Mow & Edge, weeding, weed control, spraying. Hedge Trimming, bush trimming & Bush removal. Bark, chips, and rock spreading. Debris removal & hauling, Etc.)

yardguy28
01-26-2011, 12:26 AM
i didn't get into business to be a salesman. so up selling is not something i do very hard.

clients or potential clients are made aware of the services i offer and it is up to them whether they ask me about them and get prices from me about them.

i offer 2 service packages. basic and premium. basic being your average mow, trim, blow and go. premium being all the services i offer. everything is also offered ala carte.

if i wanted to be a salesman i would have gone into sales. but i started this business to cut grass. you ask me for a quote on cutting the grass thats what you get. you want your shrubs prunned, you need to ask me.

i provide service for all walks of life. so how your propery looks doesn't not matter anymore to me than it does to you. if your ok with just knocking the grass down once a week fine, if you want your whole property perfectly manicured from week to week i can do that too. but unless you give me free range and say do what you think needs to be done and invoice me, it's up to you to ask for stuff.

tigertownman
01-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Hey yardguy I think your forgetting that selling is the name of the game . Yeah we cut their grass , but we have to be a salesman first , selling customers on our services is what makes you money , im not saying be a pushy salesman , but you have to be a salesman to make it in this business. If you dont mention certain services , sometimes they think you try to shy away from it , or really dont want to do it , it never hurts to let people know what you can do for them.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
01-26-2011, 10:14 AM
I agree tigertownman.

If you don't have any sales experience then you better get some. And if you want to go anywhere with your busisness I suggest you step up your advertising and selling game. We are not walmart. When we go to our customers we don't set up all of our services on display in their front yard and let them browse and see if they want to buy anything. We get our reputation by the customer service we offfer and the quality of work that we perform. And if all your doing is knocking down the grass every week and nothing else for the property what do you think that says when prospective customers ride by and see you leaving and the property you just cut looking like crap. There is no way in the world we would accept a customer that just wants us to come run over their yard real quick. You have to take care of your customers and find out what they need and want. And you do that by advertising and upselling along with direct sales.

And to say you don't care what your customers yard looks like? Wtf? What if Coca-cola didn't care what their drinks tasted like.

I'll tell ya two things.

Every busisness needs CONSTANT advertising and marketing to be anywhere near sucsessfull.

You're the kind of lawn care provider that is bringing this industry down.

Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
01-26-2011, 10:36 AM
what i leave in an estimate depends on what the person is asking for.

if they want an estimate on mowing, shrub prunning and leaves, thats what the estimate includes. if all they are looking for is mowing give them an estimate for just mowing.

Saved me from typing. thanks...

ALC-GregH
01-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Every business needs CONSTANT advertising and marketing to be anywhere near successful.

You're the kind of lawn care provider that is bringing this industry down.

I disagree on both parts here. I haven't spent a dime in 2 years on any type of advertisement. I've grown slow and steady so far without dumping a ton of money just so people see my name.

Why is he bringing the industry down? Is it because he doesn't write a book when giving a potential customer a estimate? He already said each customer is informed of his services. I feel the same way. I let each one know EVERYTHING I do or can do for them and have them decide what it is they want done on a weekly basis or if they want something else I'll quote a price for that as well. Ain't starting no pizzing match here, just stating the facts.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
01-26-2011, 11:19 AM
I disagree on both parts here. I haven't spent a dime in 2 years on any type of advertisement. I've grown slow and steady so far without dumping a ton of money just so people see my name.

Why is he bringing the industry down? Is it because he doesn't write a book when giving a potential customer a estimate? He already said each customer is informed of his services. I feel the same way. I let each one know EVERYTHING I do or can do for them and have them decide what it is they want done on a weekly basis or if they want something else I'll quote a price for that as well. Ain't starting no pizzing match here, just stating the facts.

Hey everyone has their own opinion man. I let you know mine and you let me know yours.

I don't aprove in just dumping our name out there either. But every company needs STRATEGIC advertising to even become slightly bigger than the average 17 year old cutting grass.

I already know that if all a customer wants is him to runover their grass real quick that he will Do it and chances are he will be giving them a cheaper price than what he normally charges to do a normal cut job. And as long as there ok with the way it looks then he is ok with it. No matter if it looks like crap or not.

It makes all of the industry look bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

seabee24
01-26-2011, 12:22 PM
i didn't get into business to be a salesman. so up selling is not something i do very hard.

clients or potential clients are made aware of the services i offer and it is up to them whether they ask me about them and get prices from me about them.

if i wanted to be a salesman i would have gone into sales. but i started this business to cut grass. you ask me for a quote on cutting the grass thats what you get. you want your shrubs prunned, you need to ask me.

i.

with all respect, and i dont mean this in a mean way - your a foul

half the time the customers dont know what they need

half the time, even if they know they dont want to spend the money unless it really needs it-you as a professional recommending something--is like the way of the doc telling you your blood pressure is high...its means more coming from a professional then just them selfs thinking it

and if you not in need of extra work please pass it off to others. im not talking about hard driven sales, but wants wrong with pricing it all out, and explaining what should be done.

if you want to stay small and cut grass for ever sure, if you want growth, learn to market, learn to sell.

yardguy28
01-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Hey yardguy I think your forgetting that selling is the name of the game . Yeah we cut their grass , but we have to be a salesman first , selling customers on our services is what makes you money , im not saying be a pushy salesman , but you have to be a salesman to make it in this business. If you dont mention certain services , sometimes they think you try to shy away from it , or really dont want to do it , it never hurts to let people know what you can do for them.

not for me. the only way clients are aware of what i offer is from my advertising. once they hire me i do send them a paper with information on my referral program and a paper that lists my service packages and all the services i offer. past that it's up to them to ask about them and what they cost.

i'm not looking to explode in growth overnight. for me slow and steady wins the race.

as long as i'm putting food on the table i'm doing ok.

with all respect, and i dont mean this in a mean way - your a foul

half the time the customers dont know what they need

half the time, even if they know they dont want to spend the money unless it really needs it-you as a professional recommending something--is like the way of the doc telling you your blood pressure is high...its means more coming from a professional then just them selfs thinking it

and if you not in need of extra work please pass it off to others. im not talking about hard driven sales, but wants wrong with pricing it all out, and explaining what should be done.

if you want to stay small and cut grass for ever sure, if you want growth, learn to market, learn to sell.

exactly what i plan to do. as i said up above. as long as i'm putting food on the table i'm doing ok. i'm not looking to build up the business to the point that i don't have do any of the work or to have a business that i can sell when i decide to get out of it.

i never said i didn't need extra work. i also never said i didn't pass on the extra work to others. if a client asks about something i'm not interested in doing i recommend a friend of mine.

i don't think lawn care and health care are even close to the same. a doctor tells you things for your health because you could die otherwise. you aren't gonna die if your hedges are overgrown or your mulch beds need weeded.

the bulk of my business is mow, edge, trim, blow and go. and i plan to keep it that way. if a client asks about shrub pruning, i'll do it. if they want mulch done, i can do that too. but i'm not gonna push any of these things.

if someone says i'm looking for someone to cut my grass on a weekly basis i give them the price and if hired i give them a piece of paper that lists my 2 service packages which also lists all the services i offer. but i'm not gonna tell them they really should have there hedges pruned, or they really need new mulch in there beds. but it's not like i lead clients to believe i don't do the other stuff. i just don't suggest.

i treat clients like i would want to be treated by a lawn service if i hired one. if i want my shrubs pruned i'll talk to the company about it. if i want new mulch i'll let them know. i don't need someone telling me my hedges need pruned or i need new mulch.

Agape
01-26-2011, 10:18 PM
not for me. the only way clients are aware of what i offer is from my advertising. once they hire me i do send them a paper with information on my referral program and a paper that lists my service packages and all the services i offer. past that it's up to them to ask about them and what they cost.

i'm not looking to explode in growth overnight. for me slow and steady wins the race.

as long as i'm putting food on the table i'm doing ok.

I was gonna write something, but I have a stump in my back yard I c
exactly what i plan to do. as i said up above. as long as i'm putting food on the table i'm doing ok. i'm not looking to build up the business to the point that i don't have do any of the work or to have a business that i can sell when i decide to get out of it.

i never said i didn't need extra work. i also never said i didn't pass on the extra work to others. if a client asks about something i'm not interested in doing i recommend a friend of mine.

i don't think lawn care and health care are even close to the same. a doctor tells you things for your health because you could die otherwise. you aren't gonna die if your hedges are overgrown or your mulch beds need weeded.

the bulk of my business is mow, edge, trim, blow and go. and i plan to keep it that way. if a client asks about shrub pruning, i'll do it. if they want mulch done, i can do that too. but i'm not gonna push any of these things.

if someone says i'm looking for someone to cut my grass on a weekly basis i give them the price and if hired i give them a piece of paper that lists my 2 service packages which also lists all the services i offer. but i'm not gonna tell them they really should have there hedges pruned, or they really need new mulch in there beds. but it's not like i lead clients to believe i don't do the other stuff. i just don't suggest.

i treat clients like i would want to be treated by a lawn service if i hired one. if i want my shrubs pruned i'll talk to the company about it. if i want new mulch i'll let them know. i don't need someone telling me my hedges need pruned or i need new mulch.

I was gonna write something, but I have a stump in my back yard. I'm gonna go talk to it.

LouisianaLawnboy
01-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Whatever the customer requests.

rnd
01-27-2011, 01:47 PM
our customers have loved the idea of a gift to leave behind. We have rain gauges, mower measures and refridgerator magnets that can be customized with your company information. It's nice to have something that always isn't a piece of literature

visit our website at rndsigns.com or call us 800-328-4009

c3wlandscaping
01-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Hey everyone has their own opinion man. I let you know mine and you let me know yours.

I don't aprove in just dumping our name out there either. But every company needs STRATEGIC advertising to even become slightly bigger than the average 17 year old cutting grass.

I already know that if all a customer wants is him to runover their grass real quick that he will Do it and chances are he will be giving them a cheaper price than what he normally charges to do a normal cut job. And as long as there ok with the way it looks then he is ok with it. No matter if it looks like crap or not.

It makes all of the industry look bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

I put my name on the lawns I do. I will never leave a lawn looking like crap. I would rather spend the extra 10 min to make it look PERFECT. To me that is the best advertising there is.
Posted via Mobile Device