PDA

View Full Version : 71 acre bid

superintendent
01-23-2011, 01:34 AM
I've been invited to bid on a 71 acre school bid. It consist of the high,middle,elementary,primary and around the athletic fields but not the fields. Must trim around all objects each time the properties are mowed. Roughly 4 hrs of trimming. So roughly what would yall charge to do this. Or tell me what you would charge an acre. If you want if some of yall do schools and want to pm me that would be great. Thanks. This is an invitation bid

Ric3077
01-23-2011, 01:43 AM
I would be about $4000-$5000 per cut...I would have to see it but that is ballpark...I know someone will prob win that bid for like $1000 a cut which is the sad thing...

SouthSide Cutter
01-23-2011, 10:09 AM
I would be about $4000-$5000 per cut...I would have to see it but that is ballpark...I know someone will prob win that bid for like $1000 a cut which is the sad thing...

Your bid would be around 63 dollars a acre and the 1000 bid would be around 14 per acre. Wish I could get 63 dollars a acre to cut large areas. Around here it will be closer to 1000 for the bid. And NO school corp. is going to pay you 117,000 to cut their grass a year. That is 26 cuts times 4500 dollars. Not when they are going to lay off teachers and in these times.

Mike Blevins
01-23-2011, 11:01 AM
I was contacted a couple years back to bid the area schools. 6 schools and the school board office. The contractor had quit on them and they needed someone until July when the contract ended. Another landscape company got the bid at $1200.00 a week. When the new contract came up for bid he thought he would be asked to renew. He bid was beat by $400 a week. :hammerhead: Sometimes you have to just know when to walk away.

ef200098
01-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Yeah, around here schools and municipalities dont pay crap. If you can get $16 an acre you will be doing VERY WELL. And depending on who it is, they will have you bid at a weekly price and have you cut every other, so it takes you twice as long. Its not worth doing it at all.

Mike
Cardinal Lawn

superintendent
01-23-2011, 04:34 PM
I went to the schools today and roughly it will take about 18hrs of weedeating 5 hr of push mowing and then the rest ride mowing. Total of 71 acres. so what would you charge. $1000 dollars a mowing you are crazy. After all of the expense you be in the hole. I'm thinking around $100,000 or more.

Tinkerer
01-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Plus side: one job to drive to and from that day as in less wear n tear on the truck and much less wasted travel time.
Minus side: 5 hours of trimming? I think I wouldn't be able to feel my arms after trimming that long and my knees would be very sore. For a job that big I would look into one of those trimmer attachments that you put on the side of your riding mower.
Would you be limited in what hours you can mow? Certainly can't mow with kids nearby. Do you mow evenings or saturday-sunday. Does a church rent out any rooms to use on sunday?

SouthSide Cutter
01-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Didnt say I would do it for 1000. Just telling you dont think it will be what you think. Bid 100,000 and see if you get it. Bet you dont. I bid some school property and I about chit what it went for. Had a guy tell me of a job that was 300 acres. Mowed it in 1 day. He had some big mowers. It used to be 4000.00 per cut. Last time he bid it went for 1400.

oldclawn
01-23-2011, 05:22 PM
If you really have to repeatedly ask here to have all the experts bid for you then maybe you are not ready for a job this size. It's a lot of equipment and time, and unless they were going to guarantee you several years it would maybe be best to concentrate n what you do best.
In the midwest areas larger jobs traditionally pay less, are open to more scrutiny and competition, and long term contracts are generally rare.
Ten 7 acre jobs or 20 3 acre jobs offers a lot more recurring security than ONE large job.

superintendent
01-23-2011, 05:28 PM
The high school and the middle school are together and it's 45 acres the other three schools are about another 10 plus mile drive. Must mow when school is out. Can not use any round-up on anything. Must blow off all walk-way.

Mikol87
01-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I would not mess with the school bid. 99 times out of a 100 they are guna take the lowest bid. What does that tell you about your bid? And secondly, there is a reason they re-bid EVERY year......the guys in the past realized at the end of the year, they just mowed all year long for 8 dollers an hour! I'll PASS

superintendent
01-23-2011, 05:54 PM
the bids are good for 2 yrs. Yes more than likely I won't get it, because I'm not going to mow for nothing. You won't know if you don't try. I did not go after this job the superintendent of the school wanted me to bid on it.

Mikol87
01-23-2011, 05:58 PM
At least put an honesy bid in. That way, afterwards they should send you a letter with what the winning bid was. So you'll know for next time.

JB1
01-23-2011, 06:05 PM
if your throwing goofy bids out, go ahead and make it for 150K.

superintendent
01-23-2011, 06:16 PM
they want a price on 35 mowing I'm looking at 40 an acre. Some of yall must mow for free. Look at your hrs and gas and so on. Plus about 20% tax. So some of yall would do it for less than 40 an acre

JB1
01-23-2011, 06:19 PM
they want a price on 35 mowing I'm looking at 40 an acre. Some of yall must mow for free. Look at your hrs and gas and so on. Plus about 20% tax. So some of yall would do it for less than 40 an acre

no, just know how this works, put in your bid, and find out the winner, then come back later and tell us how wrong we are.

SouthSide Cutter
01-23-2011, 06:42 PM
I have bid on 2 school corp. jobs and never come close to getting one. And what got it I would not mow it for that. But the ones who got the bid are still in business. Also bid on a gas pumping station job. Knew what the bid was for 4 years ago. Its now 250 less. Just blows your mind sometimes. Really hope you get it for what you want.

ALC-GregH
01-23-2011, 08:52 PM
the bids are good for 2 yrs. Yes more than likely I won't get it, because I'm not going to mow for nothing. You won't know if you don't try. I did not go after this job the superintendent of the school wanted ME to bid on it.

Then why are you asking US to bid it for you? Give it your best shot and be done. I have a feeling you don't have the equipment to do the job efficient enough. If you did, you'd already know what you need to get. How many batwing mowers do you own?

meets1
01-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Going rate in my area wood be $1278.00 / mow. $18 / acre

Based off of last years school bid here. Two large properties we mow now and what one other crew is doing this year.

If I could land a $100K bid job just for mowing I would think I won the lottery!

superintendent
01-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Then why are you asking US to bid it for you? Give it your best shot and be done. I have a feeling you don't have the equipment to do the job efficient enough. If you did, you'd already know what you need to get. How many batwing mowers do you own?

I'm not asking you to bid it. I have my thought but wanted other opinion. And yes I have the eqs to do the job and some.

meets1
01-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Maybe this bid makes a difference with your equipment. What are you planning on running? A few tri's, batwiings, or 72" Z's.

flatlander42
01-24-2011, 12:09 AM
40 bucks an acre? Yikes, that would be a sweet hourly rate! Even with my slow 48"sd walker!