PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Microscope to Check Soil Microbes

michaelthomas1
01-23-2011, 08:36 AM
I am doing apps with more compost and grains. Anyone in this forum using a microscope to check soil for customers? This is a great selling point for us, especially to see if soil is dead from lots of salt in soil. Where is a good place to get a scope and teaching how to use it. If we check the soil for customers every 2 years.
Example; Lets say you took on a new customer. then check his soil for microbes to see if soil is dead. If soil is in bad shape from looking under the scope, then you could explain its going to take time to get the microbe herd
in your "Pondersosa". A truthful selling point, a small fee to check his soil, and the greatest point "HE WILL GIVE TIME FOR RESULTS, REALIZING IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN OVER NIGHT"(Good customer and you in better relationship, you are working on the problem!

What do you think? Explaining up front that it is going to take a time, but each app is greatly helping. If anyone is using this method ,please let me know the details for a scope and hands on training.

Thanks Michael--Tenn. Dept. of Agriculture # 1628

JDUtah
01-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Have you checked the microbe population on a synthetically fertilized turf's soil yet?

phasthound
01-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Check Tim Wilson's site http://www.microbeorganics.com/ for microscopes & microbes.

I doubt you'll find any "dead" soil.

Compostwerks LLC
01-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Hi Michael;

If you click on our banner above, you can navigate to the microscope page or click here (http://www.compostwerks.com/Microscopes.html) to go directly there.

I'm happy to help.

ICT Bill
01-24-2011, 10:54 PM
I am doing apps with more compost and grains. Anyone in this forum using a microscope to check soil for customers? This is a great selling point for us, especially to see if soil is dead from lots of salt in soil. Where is a good place to get a scope and teaching how to use it. If we check the soil for customers every 2 years.
Example; Lets say you took on a new customer. then check his soil for microbes to see if soil is dead. If soil is in bad shape from looking under the scope, then you could explain its going to take time to get the microbe herd
in your "Pondersosa". A truthful selling point, a small fee to check his soil, and the greatest point "HE WILL GIVE TIME FOR RESULTS, REALIZING IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN OVER NIGHT"(Good customer and you in better relationship, you are working on the problem!

What do you think? Explaining up front that it is going to take a time, but each app is greatly helping. If anyone is using this method ,please let me know the details for a scope and hands on training.

Thanks Michael--Tenn. Dept. of Agriculture # 1628

I say go for it, many that take organic seriously have scopes with them often in the field, makes sense to me, just don't make your customers look through them, you will put them to sleep in 20 seconds

you should use it for your own diagnosis of the soil and save the customer, think higher level predators in your search