PDA

View Full Version : Truck Signage?

MOturkey
01-23-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm thinking of putting signage on my truck for the first time this year, and was wondering what type to look for. Just a simple company name and phone numbers. I don't want to go the paint route, in case I trade vehicles. I assume there are options now other than the old magnetic signs from years ago. Thanks.

yardguy28
01-23-2011, 10:07 AM
the only thing that isn't permaneant is the magnetic signs. which i think are still very popular.

i use to use them until my dad borrowed my truck and got hit from the passenger side and lost the passenger side magnet. i never replaced.

i have decals on my trailer and have thought about decaling my truck as well. but it is a personal vehicle as well and its sometimes nice not having business information on the vehicle.

vaacutabove
01-23-2011, 10:52 AM
I just looking into getting my back glass lettered from a local guy (Does it over the internet as well if you want his info just pm me.) he came back at 100-125. it was cheaper than I thought. I would stay away from the magnets they look cheap like your not serious about the business. As far as if you sticker the side. I have seen people remove them with a air tool that spins an pulls the sticker off with no damage to the paint. (No idea what its called). As soon as I make up my mind If im selling or keeping my truck Its getting stickered.

93Chevy
01-23-2011, 10:57 AM
If you have a separate business truck I'd look into it. I was considering getting my truck lettered, but it's my personal vehicle as well. If I stop for a beer or come down with an acute case of road rage then I don't want my name associated with nefarious things like that.

bladesnshades
01-23-2011, 11:00 AM
I had my sign guy make a vinyl wrap for my door w/co. name and number on it. will peel off later if ya need it to, about 150.00 for both sides, he makes my yard signs also. both get a lotta attention. Cheap advertising if ya ask me!

Agape
01-23-2011, 11:14 AM
If you're only getting a door sign, or you're ashamed of getting recognised as a lawn guy don't bother. The pupose of your sign, is to advertise. Something eye catching with a readable #( like from 3 blocks away) is the key!

I see stupid door signs that can't be read from more than 4 feet away so you're only reaching people who walk by. And I've seen $2000 wraps that are soooo busy, you cant read the numbers within the leaves and sprinklers in the photo's or a color that doesn't stick out enough to read before the guy in front of you brakes hard.

here is my new signs for my dump truck walls and back doors on aluminum, they cost $519 and I can't wait till my truck comes back from paint, to put em on!

Agape
01-23-2011, 11:21 AM
don't want permanent? vynal lettering is cheap, and you can peel it off with a hair dryer when u want to.

Jimslawncareservice
01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
if you have a dodge dont get magnets. they stick and ruin the paint.now my ford has no problems with them. it must have something with thier paint or undercoating

yardguy28
01-23-2011, 11:35 AM
i disagree that magnets look cheap. they are a form of advertising and done correctly can and do look very nice.

i just purchased a dodge not even 6 months ago. never heard that about the paint but then again i haven't put any magnets on it yet. don't plan to.

i wouldn't be opposed to getting door magnets again though, if they didn't ruin my paint. the only problem i had with them was at the carwash. its a pain to have to remove them and put them back on every time you go through the carwash. thats where decals would be nice.

Agape
01-23-2011, 11:58 AM
i disagree that magnets look cheap. they are a form of advertising and done correctly can and do look very nice.

i just purchased a dodge not even 6 months ago. never heard that about the paint but then again i haven't put any magnets on it yet. don't plan to.

i wouldn't be opposed to getting door magnets again though, if they didn't ruin my paint. the only problem i had with them was at the carwash. its a pain to have to remove them and put them back on every time you go through the carwash. thats where decals would be nice.

YOU ARE WRONG! Magnets are stooopid! lol

SNAPPER MAN
01-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Magnets are not very professional and scream weekend scrub I. My opinion. My two work trucks have vinyl lettering on both doors and along the beds, and my personal truck has the tailgate lettered. Looks very clean and professional. Also vinyl lettering is usually cheaper than magnets, unless you get tiny magnets.
Posted via Mobile Device

KS_Grasscutter
01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Go with vynal lettering. Had a local company do mine this fall when the DOT started cracking down. Got name, city, GVW, DOT, and phone number.

bladesnshades
01-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Never said door signs were the only signs on my rig! MY TRUCK AND TRAILER are a rolling bill board, guess all the phone calls i get from people when i'm going down the road means i've got this advertising thing all wrong! By the way your yellow is too light and your flower takes up too much space! p.s. never been ashamed of what i do for a living.

Agape
01-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Never said door signs were the only signs on my rig! MY TRUCK AND TRAILER are a rolling bill board, guess all the phone calls i get from people when i'm going down the road means i've got this advertising thing all wrong! By the way your yellow is too light and your flower takes up too much space! p.s. never been ashamed of what i do for a living.

My yellow is about the same as my buckets, you're seeing it with a glare on it, my flower is as big as I wanted it/ requested it, my phone # can be read from 3 blocks away, and I didn't use your name- was talking about the scrubb loosers that want to remove their magnet when not working, cause they know it looks stooopid. Or maybe there's a reason you felt singled out that none of us know about......:usflag:

Barrett Landscaping
01-23-2011, 01:35 PM
get some signs made for your side boards if you have any.

bladesnshades
01-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Yea what ever!

lawnpro724
01-23-2011, 02:19 PM
vinyl lettering is the way to go, my trucks look great and are lettered all the way around. Vinyl lettering is permanent for as long as you want it to be and can be removed easily when you want it to be. And it cheap.

Truck looks good ...ProCut

Lefet
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm thinking of putting signage on my truck for the first time this year, and was wondering what type to look for. Just a simple company name and phone numbers. I don't want to go the paint route, in case I trade vehicles. I assume there are options now other than the old magnetic signs from years ago. Thanks.

This may help you out:
http://doityourselflettering.com/

theyatesies
01-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey Agape? He wanted some advice that's all. Opinions are good. Even the negative ones. BTW learn how to spell.

johnsonslawnmanagement
01-23-2011, 03:00 PM
go big or go home! if you have all that real esate and dont use it then its a waste.

h2oskier
01-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Hows this then?

Agape
01-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Hey Agape? He wanted some advice that's all. Opinions are good. Even the negative ones. BTW learn how to spell.

he who? and I haven't found one pwerson on heeere woth using the speel check funkshun

vanncann
01-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Here is my trailer and it has brought the business. The phone # is there just covered up by the open trailer.210193

bladesnshades
01-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Yea, that's what i'm talkin' about! nice lookin rig

Agape
01-23-2011, 06:03 PM
also, you guys' trucks look great. I see white #'s on white back ground and black on the same. I prefer my phone # to really stand out tho cause it is the most important thing on my entire sign. the reason for even having a sign.

Landscape Poet
01-23-2011, 07:13 PM
also, you guys' trucks look great. I see white #'s on white back ground and black on the same. I prefer my phone # to really stand out tho cause it is the most important thing on my entire sign. the reason for even having a sign.

I was thinking the same thing especially on the truck with the empty numbers...a red filler or something very bright like a yellow would grab you attention a little more.

johnsonslawnmanagement
01-23-2011, 10:40 PM
If you color in the numbers, it will detract from the rest of the signage. My graphics designer is as good as they come and you woudnt think white on white would stand out, but it really does. I was sceptical myself but I like it now
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
01-24-2011, 12:36 AM
If you color in the numbers, it will detract from the rest of the signage. My graphics designer is as good as they come and you woudnt think white on white would stand out, but it really does. I was sceptical myself but I like it now
Posted via Mobile Device

no one cares if you color the #'s or not, and your sign looks nice. We're just saying the # would be more readable that way. balanced is ok as well, just hard to find and focus on when you're moving.

lyndont
01-24-2011, 01:43 AM
I had the magnets on my truck last year and got a few calls but I am going to get my rear window done and some vinyl on the side this year. I just have a hard time spending the money on that when I could buy more equipment but I think it wwill be worth it. This is my 2nd year and I am still not full time yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOturkey
01-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks, guys. Sounds as if vinyl is the way to go. Some really nice rigs you all have. I was thinking of just doing the door, but those numbers on the bed really stand out. I'm going to check with my local sign shop and get some prices. Neill

Lefet
01-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks, guys. Sounds as if vinyl is the way to go. Some really nice rigs you all have. I was thinking of just doing the door, but those numbers on the bed really stand out. I'm going to check with my local sign shop and get some prices. Neill

I checked with the link I gave before. They said it would be about $95.00 for both doors. Doesn't sound that expensive. We're looking at getting a new truck for this season, I'll probably go with that. I don't want to do magnets. It's a DIY and doesn't look that hard.

MOturkey
01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
I checked with the link I gave before. They said it would be about $95.00 for both doors. Doesn't sound that expensive. We're looking at getting a new truck for this season, I'll probably go with that. I don't want to do magnets. It's a DIY and doesn't look that hard.

Thanks for the link. I looked at it briefly yesterday, but didn't get into the pricing. I'd rather have the work done locally, if it isn't ridiculously higher, but it may well be. I bought some yard signs last year online for about 1/3 of what I was quoted locally.

Lefet
01-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the link. I looked at it briefly yesterday, but didn't get into the pricing. I'd rather have the work done locally, if it isn't ridiculously higher, but it may well be. I bought some yard signs last year online for about 1/3 of what I was quoted locally.

Keep us posted of what you decide, then post pictures when it's done. I know everybody likes to support their local businesses/dealers, but honestly sometimes it just isn't worth it.
I especially like to support our local dealers but the nearest guy to me is a real jerk. He always talks down to people. EVERYBODY, not just me. You end up walking out of there feeling stupid, or you don't ask the quesions you should because you'll .... again... FEEL STUPID. By the time it takes me to drive to the next dealer, only to find out that they don't have what I need, I could have ordered it already.
Good luck

yardguy28
01-25-2011, 11:02 AM
i think from seeing some of the trucks around town and pics on here you can definitly over do it with the signage.

a simple decal on the doors is all that is needed. fulling wrapping your truck looks tacky and is over doing it in my opinion.

phillie
01-26-2011, 04:47 PM
I dont think a wrap is bad but it can get tacky quick. I agree all you need is a name and number but I have seen some really nicely done wraps.

yardguy28
01-27-2011, 12:29 PM
oh don't get me wrong. some of the wraps look "nice" but they also scream overboard if you ask me.

i think it looks nicer seeing a rig that has the name and number of the company on the doors and maybe the same on the side of the trailer, than these rigs where the truck and trailer both are wrapped (covered head to toe) in a sign.

Agape
01-27-2011, 06:33 PM
oh don't get me wrong. some of the wraps look "nice" but they also scream overboard if you ask me.

i think it looks nicer seeing a rig that has the name and number of the company on the doors and maybe the same on the side of the trailer, than these rigs where the truck and trailer both are wrapped (covered head to toe) in a sign.

no one asked

yardguy28
01-27-2011, 07:19 PM
no one asked

why aren't you out talking to your stump??? :laugh:

Agape
01-27-2011, 10:48 PM
why aren't you out talking to your stump??? :laugh:

I did, but it kept changing the subject to proclaim that it didn't want to charge more, sell more, or have more lol:p

Agape
01-27-2011, 10:51 PM

I'm gonna make my uniforms out of vehicle wrap.;)

BrunoT
02-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Yea what ever!

Don't let people who are desperate to justify their own expenditures bother you. They can't separate their decisions from others w/o having to declare one right and one "stoopid". It can never just be a different choice when you're dealing with someone with a fragile ego.

bmanson73
02-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Always use your service vehicles as a MARKETING tool. That is if you want your phone to ring a lot more. I utilize every inch (wrapped) to display our company info and appeal. People say..I cant afford it...I say you cant afford NOT TOO! Do whatever it takes to wrap your trucks, and I promise you, you wont be disappointed.

PIE

yardguy28
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
wrapping your vehicles may work for you but as i said before, to me that screams overboard and tacky.

i will be sticking with the decals i have on the sides of my 6' x 12' trailer. no it isn't wrapped. it's just a decal maybe not much larger than a door magnet. simple yet effective.

bmanson73
02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
your signs look great! Im just saying that it has worked well for me. You just see a lot of companies with horrible logos and they wonder why they cant grow their business. keep up the good work YARDMAN!

Brett