PDA

View Full Version : Real world profits of a SOLO based Lawn renovation business model vs. Mow & Blow...??

Exact Rototilling
01-23-2011, 12:35 PM
OK what are the real world returns of your lawn renovation business and have you done so well you no longer need to or want to mow?

I'm currently offering: aeration, overseeding, dethatching power raking.
I currently DON'T offer herbicide application or any irrigation service nor do I own a top-dressing machine...yet.

In 2010 once mowing season was under way I put nearly all my attention towards lawn maintenance and I often had to return calls and say sorry you will need to call someone else for ANY renovations or even just aeration's.....I'm completely booked with chasing mow & blow. Heavy Spring rainfall made it a real struggle even keeping up with mowing.

Your input?

KS_Grasscutter
01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
I like mowing since its steady revenue all season. But I really love doing all the renovations I can in the fall, way better money. I think in your situation I would try to do about 4 days of mowing and spend 1 day on extras.
Posted via Mobile Device

grass4gas
01-23-2011, 08:44 PM
I always did apps, but my main source of income when I started was mowing, landscaping, etc. to build up the customer base.

I pushed the app side pretty heavy, and after a few years, I was able to eliminate 1 day of mowing each year. I actually sub them out, so I keep control over the property.

The subs cut the lawns cheaper than what I could cut them for and that free's me up to do more apps...and that really is where the money is.

Find a couple of subs you trust or know well, keep control over the property, and you will still be able to build that side of your business.

As of now, I only cut about 8 lawns to break up the routine.

You don't have to worry about the weather as much doing apps, aerations, or seedings. With cutting, you worry about the weather "ALL THE TIME".

Barefoot James
01-23-2011, 08:56 PM
We did. It took 5 years but in 2011 we are only doing organic apps and renovations (compost top dressing and seeding). We are subbing out the mowing that helped build our client base. I had my son helping but he is going into ministry as a pastor in 2011 - graduateing from seminary this spring! And I will be total solo (might hire a helper in March, Sept, Oct) but I'm set up to do it solo.